Bangkok Taxi Drivers Beat Down Camera-Wielding Commuter

webfact

In Australia the Taxi's have live camera's keeping an eye on the passengers, maybe here they should have them keeping an eye on the drivers.

Not exactly true. Taxi's in Australia are under State jurisdiction so the systems in place are different. The Qld system takes a still photograph every minute or so when the meter is on which is kept for about 3 days, it takes a still photograph when doors open also kept for three days, but the video capability is operated by the driver, hence for the purpose of passenger safety from drivers is not much good, the systems were put in place to protect drivers from passengers.

The long standing dramas of BKK taxi drivers are similar to the sorts of problems that emerged in Brisbane and I am sure other places when taxi driving became less popular as a profession with locals and became a popular cash cow myth for hopefuls especially immigrants. Subsequently the industry came under more regulation and supervision but fare refusal is still a big problem. Especially on Friday and Saturday night.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai cops could do a sting operation, but on second thought, no. They neither have the creative thought process to set one up, nor the testicular fortitude to do a sting effectively.

Or maybe Taxi drivers not picking up fares is just EXTREMELY low on the priority list as it should be ... or at least in the eyes of us who like no hassle life here and are not anxious to turn it into the authoritative controlling countries we came from.

I don't see much difference in Thai taxi-drivers as opposed to taxi-drivers from other nations I have lived in. The vast majority are friendly and polite enough for me, and are just earning a living working a stressful job. I've seen amazingly bad dangerous-driving from taxi drivers in UK, US, as well as all across Asia, but always these have been small minority, and Thailand is no different imo. I echo earlier posts re: its a hard job especially in hot cities with badly-regulated roads like Bangkok and its a bit much to expect a taxidriver to always be cheerful and dapper in those circumstances.

In this story the guy was within his rights to photo the cab plate imo, and the three men are guilty of assault. I know somebody who was seriously sexually assaulted by a taxi-driver in the UK, after she got in the cab and was en route home from a club, and since then I am always carrying several self-defense items in taxis - not because I think I will need them, but if it happens I refuse to go without a fight.

• Like 2

Try driving a cab in Bangkok for 15 hours just to make ends meet and then come back and tell us why you might be feeling a little aggressive.

Bangkok cab fares are so uneconomically low - an extension of Issaan cheapo labour to give fat cat hisos in Bangkok an easy ride - its no wonder many of the 'abuses' you all rush to report take place. Sheesh get realwhistling.gif

Right, and then a well off guy comes along and threatens his so called livelihood for simply trying to make his day profitable.

All I will say is I would not mess with taxis when it comes to this stuff, there is definitely a pattern to be seen here. Tell em where you're going, if they deny you, get another one.... it really isn't so bad. The getting out the phones and cameras and anything like this is pushing it -- you are pretty much saying "your quality of life isn't low enough, here let me lower it a little more and take some extra (or all) food from your kid's mouths". We all know what happens when people's livelihoods get threatened.

Just hail another cab, usually not so bad.

Edited by meand
  • Like 1

Try driving a cab in Bangkok for 15 hours just to make ends meet and then come back and tell us why you might be feeling a little aggressive.

Bangkok cab fares are so uneconomically low - an extension of Issaan cheapo labour to give fat cat hisos in Bangkok an easy ride - its no wonder many of the 'abuses' you all rush to report take place. Sheesh get realwhistling.gif

Right, and then a well off guy comes along and threatens his so called livelihood for simply trying to make his day profitable.

All I will say is I would not mess with taxis when it comes to this stuff, there is definitely a pattern to be seen here. Tell em where you're going, if they deny you, get another one.... it really isn't so bad. The getting out the phones and cameras and anything like this is pushing it -- you are pretty much saying "your quality of life isn't low enough, here let me lower it a little more and take some extra (or all) food from your kid's mouths". We all know what happens when people's livelihoods get threatened.

Just hail another cab, usually not so bad.

Is that the same for pickpockets too; they are just making a living?

Fact is, what these taxi drivers are doing is illegal. It is not up to you to decide which laws should be enforced.

If your point of view is valid, then perhaps you can press the authorities to make refusing a fare legal.

Edited by Kilgore Trout

wai.gif Because I don'tl ive in the"Farang Ghetto" area of lower Sukhumvit Road, I have to take taxis back to my house in Bangkok (Ladprakhao Road) when I travel to and from Sukhumvit.

It often happens, especially during heavy traffic, that a taxi driver doesn't want to take me from Sukhumvit to my house, especially when he learns ( I tell him) that he has to take me into my soi and not just drop me off on the main road.

If he doesn't want to do that, why should I get angry at him?

Within 2 or 3 minutes there is usually another taxi, with a driver willing to take me to my house.

I make it a point to give a small tip (20 or 30 Baht) to those drivers who do go out of their way to help me (i'm 66 years old and have slightly impaired mobility (my right leg).

What's the point in being agressive toward a taxi driver anyhow? If a taxi driver doesn't want to bother taking me home, especially when I've been shopping and have 3 or 4 bags to carry....why should that bother me?

So, I always ask first before I get in the taxi. If the driver agrees, o.k. I go. If he disagress, I just say o.k. and wait for the next taxi.

Life's too short to worry about such silly stuff anyhow.

biggrin.png

• Like 2

Is it against the law in Bangkok to refuse a fair? Not sure how this incident makes the taxi an illegal one .. only would seem to indicate a violent taxi driver.

Good old Nisa......in like a flash to support any Thai in the wrong!

wai.gif Because I don'tl ive in the"Farang Ghetto" area of lower Sukhumvit Road, I have to take taxis back to my house in Bangkok (Ladprakhao Road) when I travel to and from Sukhumvit.

It often happens, especially during heavy traffic, that a taxi driver doesn't want to take me from Sukhumvit to my house, especially when he learns ( I tell him) that he has to take me into my soi and not just drop me off on the main road.

Within 2 or 3 minutes there is usually another taxi, with a driver willing to take me to my house.

I make it a point to give a small tip (20 or 30 Baht) to those drivers who do go out of their way to help me (i'm 66 years old and have slightly impaired mobility (my right leg).

What's the point in being agressive toward a taxi driver anyhow? If a taxi driver doesn't want to bother taking me home, especially when I've been shopping and have 3 or 4 bags to carry....why should that bother me?

So, I always ask first before I get in the taxi. If the driver agrees, o.k. I go. If he disagress, I just say o.k. and wait for the next taxi.

biggrin.png

I agree that you have to be practical and choose your battles wisely. I don't see standing up for your rights as being agressive though, assertive perhaps.

Bottom line is, it is these people's job to take you, the customer, where you want to go. If they want to drop you off a kilometer early, then they are not doing their job, full stop. People who offer services to the public should, at minimum, do their job.

If the person cooking your food decides that they don't want to cook it all the way, should that bother you?

People are responsible for doing the job they say they are going to do, unfortunately in this country people just don't want to hold people responsible for their stated duties.

Life's too short to worry about such silly stuff anyhow.,

biggrin.png

Silly stuff anyhow???? What a silly comment this is.

Probably, you have got too much free time and don't really care what is happening around. These are principles, they take over a job what they don't do. Not the passengers but the taxi drivers appear to be aggressive. It is not the few minutes waiting for another cab. Can you imagine if one day all the employees of the world decide not to do their jobs but start beating up people? This is just not right. Too many people get beaten up, told off, driven away, conned etc. by taxi drivers.

Only the blind and ignorant people can't see how bad these people are.

We are not talking about isolated cases but something that is unrealistically frequent.

biggrin.png

I agree that you have to be practical and choose your battles wisely. I don't see standing up for your rights as being agressive though, assertive perhaps.

Bottom line is, it is these people's job to take you, the customer, where you want to go. If they want to drop you off a kilometer early, then they are not doing their job, full stop. People who offer services to the public should, at minimum, do their job.

If the person cooking your food decides that they don't want to cook it all the way, should that bother you?

People are responsible for doing the job they say they are going to do, unfortunately in this country people just don't want to hold people responsible for their stated duties.

Spot on!

As I don't want to be annoyed I even don't ask the taxi who refused somebody just before me or who is opening his left-hand side front window to ask my destination to save "unnecessary" wear of the back-door of the cab.

And for the lower-Sukhumvit area I walk always back to Asoke / Asoke Montri when I don't expect traffic-jam anymore and flag-down a driving taxi direction Phraram 9, don't use the at the other side of soi Cowboy waiting taxis.

In the case of traffic-jam I go by Skytrain to Ekkamai or, mostly better, On Nut to continue my trip direction Nimitmai.

I try to take a blue or yellow cab (1661 or 1681). However one is never sure.

Once I asked a blue cab to bring me to Nimitmai, he was with his nose direction Ramintra, he drove off and seeing that he went straight-on I asked him politely in Thai to make a u-turn direction Safari World (a very normal go-through road without any jam) to avoid a trip of about 10 kms more where-after he answered agitated "mai pai" (I don't go).

I can understand, by the way, a refusal of a trip but I'm sensitive enough to understand when the man likes to go home or has to deliver his car at the company and want to avoid a trip to the other side of BKK, but, as said in other posts already there is a big mafia touting around, only being interested in big money and/or easy 35/50 Baht trips to short-time hotels................. or being sponsored by one or more "attractions" (it's not only Tuck-Tuck) to try to get the client to there, which even doesn't mean on a certain commission but even a monthly lump-sum (not only from disputable shops or "attractions" but also from a highly well-known family-attraction I just have learned).

nickjam wrote: "It seems pack mentality and cowardice are permitted here!" Permitted indeed! More like manadatory actually! It's the only way the spineless Thais know how to roll. They won't even consider fighting a farang one-to-one. But when they have two, three (or more) of their own kind to help it's open season...

Your post defies logic based on this thread. It was a Thai on Thai fight and only one side (Taxi drivers) appeared to get involved. And it is just plain silly to be so naive to believe that anywhere you go in the world that outsiders picking a fight with a local will not often result in a good a@@ wooping by a number of locals be it at a home sports event or a local bar or any other common themed groups including locals vs. a non-native speaking foreigner where one member gets in a fight with the "outsider". Just accept you (we) are the outsider here and get used to it instead of finding ways to get worked up about it.

But as I read it wasn't a Thai on Thai fight it was an assault, plain an simple. Your comment that "only one side (taxi drivers) appeared to get involved" seems to support this.

The fact that the perpetrator of this crime was assisted by his cowardly thug friends is indicative of the pack culture of some of these drivers.

I personally try not to get too upset when drivers refuse my fare, the concept that a paying customer in their car is probably better than waiting in the hope that you might possibly blag a better fare is above the mental captivity of some of them.

I always find that there will usually be another driver along soon who will be happy for the job, and they normally receive a better tip for their trouble.

Is it against the law in Bangkok to refuse a fair? Not sure how this incident makes the taxi an illegal one .. only would seem to indicate a violent taxi driver.

Yes, it is:

http://www.bkkriders...traffic.html#12

Thank you for the link!

so I am happy to hear that the law says they can NOT play radio when I am in the taxi. The amount of times they have 'chat shows' on the radio giving me a headache. I ask them to turn it down and they get angry sometimes.

interesting about Pedestrians: http://www.bkkriders.com/law/landtraffic.html#13

section 108 and 109. (so why weren't all the red-shirts fined 500 baht each for obstruction?)

How is the Taxi in the todays article illegal? or does it mean that he is illegal for refusing to accept the journey?

and WHY WASN'T ANYONE CHARGED???!!!!!

- they assaulted someone. AND he refused a fare!!! that's TWO charges!!! why didn't the police charge them?

Yes, it is:

http://www.bkkriders...traffic.html#12

Thank you for the link!

so I am happy to hear that the law says they can NOT play radio when I am in the taxi. The amount of times they have 'chat shows' on the radio giving me a headache. I ask them to turn it down and they get angry sometimes.

interesting about Pedestrians: http://www.bkkriders...traffic.html#13

section 108 and 109. (so why weren't all the red-shirts fined 500 baht each for obstruction?)

How is the Taxi in the todays article illegal? or does it mean that he is illegal for refusing to accept the journey?

and WHY WASN'T ANYONE CHARGED???!!!!!

- they assaulted someone. AND he refused a fare!!! that's TWO charges!!! why didn't the police charge them?

rolleyes.gifwhistling.gifgiggle.gif TIT

Shouldn't a taxi be technically up-to-date and save??? What about the noises of worn-out shock-absorbers or even brake-shoes "braking" iron-on-iron? ONE charge more.............. thumbsup.gif

nickjam wrote: "It seems pack mentality and cowardice are permitted here!" Permitted indeed! More like manadatory actually! It's the only way the spineless Thais know how to roll. They won't even consider fighting a farang one-to-one. But when they have two, three (or more) of their own kind to help it's open season...

Your post defies logic based on this thread. It was a Thai on Thai fight and only one side (Taxi drivers) appeared to get involved. And it is just plain silly to be so naive to believe that anywhere you go in the world that outsiders picking a fight with a local will not often result in a good a@@ wooping by a number of locals be it at a home sports event or a local bar or any other common themed groups including locals vs. a non-native speaking foreigner where one member gets in a fight with the "outsider". Just accept you (we) are the outsider here and get used to it instead of finding ways to get worked up about it.

But as I read it wasn't a Thai on Thai fight it was an assault, plain an simple. Your comment that "only one side (taxi drivers) appeared to get involved" seems to support this.

The fact that the perpetrator of this crime was assisted by his cowardly thug friends is indicative of the pack culture of some of these drivers.

Thank you for toning it down from your racist comment that this is the only way "Thais" know how to fight to "some drivers"

'but no charges were brought against the other two drivers who assisted in the beating.' ?????????????????????

Is it written in Thai law that you are allowed to assist in beating someone up?!?! It seems pack mentality and cowardice are permitted here!

Thais hate to make others take responsibility for criminal activities. Bus drivers cause accidents, run out in to rice fields, never to be pursued. Politicians are proven corrupt, but are sent to an 'inactive post' with pay and pension intact. Political manipulator is found guilty of crime, then asks to go to Beijing to watch Olympics. No problem. Land of 'Mai Pen Rai.' You want to break the law, go ahead. The PT party will probably excuse your crime - particularly if you're one of their donors or supporters.

same in the UK with police and politcians ,securest jobs on the planet, and most of the world too , ..........one law for the rich, another for the rest of us, the problem is that the ''rest of us'' are powerless to change anything , ...the old boy network and the old school tie will always come first , in thailand its AKA graft or corruption .

Edited by osiboy

I love this bit:

A motorcycle patrol officer stopped and broke up the fight even though it was not in his jurisdiction

So basically if its not in his jurisdiction its not his duty to stop someone getting assaulted?

Brilliant.

Funny I had the same impression on the reporting. Though the discription is very much the attitude of the average Thai person; The eyeballs shut the logical response mechanism to the brain in such "embarrassing" situations. The law is no exception here in this country... they are worse at implementing justice

I love this bit:

A motorcycle patrol officer stopped and broke up the fight even though it was not in his jurisdiction

So basically if its not in his jurisdiction its not his duty to stop someone getting assaulted?

Brilliant.

Funny I had the same impression on the reporting. Though the discription is very much the attitude of the average Thai person; The eyeballs shut the logical response mechanism to the brain in such "embarrassing" situations. The law is no exception here in this country... they are worse at implementing justice

In Australia it is quite possible a patrol car would not stop. If they are on Programmed tasks such as delivering summonses they will not even respond to being flagged down. You have to call a civilian group who then filters the calls to give to the police who then respond..probably in two days.

'but no charges were brought against the other two drivers who assisted in the beating.' ?????????????????????

Is it written in Thai law that you are allowed to assist in beating someone up?!?! It seems pack mentality and cowardice are permitted here!

Thais hate to make others take responsibility for criminal activities. Bus drivers cause accidents, run out in to rice fields, never to be pursued. Politicians are proven corrupt, but are sent to an 'inactive post' with pay and pension intact. Political manipulator is found guilty of crime, then asks to go to Beijing to watch Olympics. No problem. Land of 'Mai Pen Rai.' You want to break the law, go ahead. The PT party will probably excuse your crime - particularly if you're one of their donors or supporters.

same in the UK with police and politcians ,securest jobs on the planet, and most of the world too , ..........one law for the rich, another for the rest of us, the problem is that the ''rest of us'' are powerless to change anything , ...the old boy network and the old school tie will always come first , in thailand its AKA graft or corruption .

Mate its been ages since you were probably in the UK! Apart from trying to draw comparision you fail to realise that in the UK you have law and rights. It does not go here.... you have the right to remain silently and pay!

Ask the Phuket tuk tuk drivers, they've develpoed mass assaults into an art form when they don't get their own way.

The report in Thai warned potential clients to avoid scruffy looking taxis and drivers. If you open the taxi door and are knocked down by alcohol fumes, cigarette smoke, or piles of rubbish, and the driver looks like a slob, it may be best to avoid that taxi and get another.

I love this bit:

Brilliant.

In Australia it is quite possible a patrol car would not stop. If they are on Programmed tasks such as delivering summonses they will not even respond to being flagged down. You have to call a civilian group who then filters the calls to give to the police who then respond..probably in two days.

I wouldn't put too much thought in this .. a cop stops and breaks up a fight not in his jurisdiction as reported and you have select posters figuring out a way to turn this into a negative .. any surprises here? Anything to feel a bit superior even if it is speculation based on English writing in a country where English is not even an official language.