500 Baht 256k Broadband In Thailand Next Month

george

ok, ok, good new people, i just went down to ToT in Bangkok and ask them a few question, and this is what i got (256/128) for 500baht unlimited international ADSL, the catch is you have to one year services but you can pay 500bht monthly, you don't have to pay full amount, and if you break the contract you will have to paid the full amount of that month usage hourly and 3000baht over head, area are limited around bangkok, and only a few city would get this promotion, im pretty sure they will expand but for right now only a few area around Bangkok and a few city. i just sign up and it take a week for them to check-up on everything, sound good so far, they also say that when the 512k is on promotion they will let me know and i can upgrade to it, price range around 600-800baht not sure

well anyway its beat TA in my book, im paying over 1kbaht a month for 56dial-up unlimited package, if this ADSL go thro kiss dial up good bye. clap.gif

Dear Chingy,

That's really great news. Could you kindly tell us how to order this service. I was under the impression that to order ADSL one must first contact an ISP. The ISP then handles arrangements with the ADSL circuit provider (TOT, in this case.)

It would be helpful to know 1) who to call (TOT or an ISP) 2) what number to call at TOT or who to ask for, and 3) a promotion or product name for this 500baht unlimited international ADSL. I think I would not be successful if I had to explain to a TOT rep "500baht unlimited international ADSL"

Many thanks for finding this cool deal.

Cheers

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually everything is in Thai, i can't read it, but i'll gladdy explain it to you, ofcourse my gf is doing all the talking tho, first i ask them i want to hook up ADSL they ask me where do i live to see if the area is hook up with their sytem, ofcourse mine was, then i ask what promotion do they have they pull out a brochure and show me the price, from there on they will explain to you everything, the only promotion they have now is 256/128 for 500baht unlimited international with one year services(like i explain above) for isp they didn't tell me which company, i have to wait for a week and call them back to see if everything is ok. i think its best to walk into any branch that have ToT service, if the deal is right you have to fill out application and wait for week. oh and take your gf along for translation.

TOT themselves will be the ISP most probably. They are as well with their free TOTonline dial up service, but this works so slow one wonders they have the necesary bandwith to support a broadband service!

TOTonline

or

TOTonline

for those who read Thai.

Can't find anything on their ADSL broadband package yet, which isn't surprising since they are very slow to update their website, and leave the best parts in Thai anyway!

TOT themselves will be the ISP most probably

i think they are

i got the brochure that they gave me, when i sign up, it have 2 phone number on bottom with an url. not sure what the number for cause i can't read thai,

www.tot.co.th

02-5757775

02-5008004

hope this help

ADSL in Thailand is surely coming but where and when? Big cities like Bangkok and Chiang Mai will be high on the list to get the service but areas with limited number of telephone lines will have to wait as long as they will have to wait for a line, meaning forever. :o 40% of all bookings made by tourist in Phuket are made over the internet, but according to a recent IT seminar held in Phuket, we will only have 500 ADSL lines in the foreseeable future and they are all reserved for business. Therefore, in Phuket we have turned to GRPS i.e through high speed mobile connections. The modem is a little bit expensive Baht 11,500 but the service is only Baht 1,200 per month, unlimited access. Hence compared to what TOT can offer here in Phuket for non-business access, a very good deal!

Cheers.....kandt

ChiangMaiThai from ChiangMaiFarang and all others. So excited when I read in the Post about the government broadband plan. Some issues later, it was revealed that the new service would be available only within five kilometers of a TOT station and only in Bkk.

One thing to note is the dates of the TOT promotion. The website says the promotion runs from 14 Feb to 14 May, that is you have to sign up before 14 May. Once you sign up, the special promo rate remains valid till 31 May 2005. The 1000 baht installation charge is waived, also, within the promo purchase period.

One thing to note is the dates of the TOT promotion. The website says the promotion runs from 14 Feb to 14 May, that is you have to sign up before 14 May. Once you sign up, the special promo rate remains valid till 31 May 2005. The 1000 baht installation charge is waived, also, within the promo purchase period.

ADSL Thailand has a link to this TOT Promotion (phaasaa Thai).

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
i'm sick to death of the substandard 24600bps thats possible in my house in Bkk.

TRy running a new cable from the black box outside your house to the room where you have the computer. Choose the thickest telephone cable you can find, or even LAN wiring cable.

The wriring in my house is the cheapest that the electrician could find - typical

Thailand! Since I changed the cable my connection speeds have improved dramatically.

If it does not help ask TOT to check you line for shorts, dead jinkjos etc.

Following the latest adverts in the Bangkok Post, I dropped into CS-Loxinfo in Pattaya, to pick up their information about Broadband Access in Chonburi province.

I feel the government, the ISP's and the telephone companies are being less than honest in their advertising. For a workable connection you must pay the ISP and the telephone company.

For 100 hours per/month at the minimum speed (128K), CS-Loxinfo is charging 2,100 baht, add to this another 1000 baht for TOT (or 1400 baht if you are on a TT&T line), total cost 3,100 baht

For the faster link (256K) the prices jump to 3,300 for CS-Loxinfo and 1400 baht for TOT, total monthly cost 4,700 baht.

So much for the government's touted rates of 500 baht.

All this assumes that your telephone line is capable of supporting ADSL. Reading of experiences in the UK suggests that this cannot be readily assumed. If you live in a city area and are 2-3km from the telephone exchange you may by lucky, but any further out from the exchange you will be out of luck.

Last week I went to my local TOT office, located on Rama IV Rd. near Klong-toey, to enroll to the TOT hi-speed Internet promotion. Filled up the form and gave a copy of my passport, that was all.

Unfortunately, the telephone numbers starting at 240 and 249 are not yet scheduled for ADSL enabling. The lucky ones are: 245, 246, 247 & 248 - they can use the TOT hi-speed Internet right away.

This info I got from the very sympathetic, knowledgeable, and English speaking Khun Pan, who is from the TOT Internet department - tel: 02 575 7295, email: [email protected]

She also informed me that if there is a customer demand from certain areas in Bangkok, they will be ready to speedup installation of ADSL in that area.

So, everyone with the phones starting with 240 & 249 are welcome to contact Khun Pan directly, or may send me a message via the board.

As more people enroll, as quicker we get the hi-speed Internet.

Aside note:

As far as I understand the term "local Internet", it is related to the issue of where the specific website is hosted, doesn't matter what is the site's domain (i.e. "com/net", or "co.th"). And if the site of local domain (i.e. thaidomain.co.th) is hosted outside Thailand, it is unaccessible via "local Internet".

Maybe someone here could explain the tech aspects of "local Internet", which is offered by several ISPs in Thailand. How do Thai ISPs differentiate between local and International sites, and how they prevent/limit the access.

Internet, at a first place, was invented as a free for all. Maybe there are ways to reinvent it.

Any news on chiangmai area??

Would like this stuff also.

Is it now 500 bath All inclusive meaning ISP Internet bandwith and connection + hardware connection through TOT .

FOr mrp The 5 kilometer distance maximum is normal for Adsl , if you are further a way from the central the signal becomes to weak to provide a reliable service. This is everywhere in the world like that . It is a limitation of ADSL technology.

Bart

Guest IT Manager

I just love broad notes like that Zen.

Have a look at the wiring out the front of your condo/house.

Did you see it like that in your home country? No.

3 kilometers or clean up the mess.

Guest chingy
cyber_cynic: Received a fax from TOT yesterday. My ADSL line is ready, I have my userid and password. Just have to buy the modem now...

did you get to buy the modem yet, how is it can you fill me in, im still having problem with my old modem it doesn't connect, if i can, may i ask how did you set up your configuration, if you can please go here, im in the need for help lol

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6988

Hi IT,

Sure you're right , in belgium it was actually 4.2 klm.

But here probably :-)

I actually called today, the first one said only inside the moat :-)

Actually the wiring in front of my house looks pretty decent for thailand.

Thay actually stripped all the cables together :-)

B

Hi IT,

Sure you're right , in belgium it was actually 4.2 klm.

B

xDSL often is advertised to work up to 18,000 feet (~5.5 km) from the Telephone Central Office. The speed or throughput actually provided declines as the distance increases. Different service providers will cite different distances depending upon the speed they are promoting, or on their awareness of the quality of cable infrastructure, central office equipment age and maintenance. I suupose the capabilities of the support staff also should be taken into account.

In Thailand, the continuing existence of a monopoly provider of international bandwidth (CAT) keeps prices so high that ISPs concentrate the heck out of the traffic so that they can achieve a sellable price point. Throughput is almost always disappointing, but YMMV.

I second et33.com, wireless is the way to go for local loop broadband. Be watching for wireless broadband offerings, either as WiFi Hotspots, or WiMAX. Regardless, one still must grapple ultimately with CAT for international access.

Cheers

Guest chingy
I second et33.com, wireless is the way to go for local loop broadband. Be watching for wireless broadband offerings, either as WiFi Hotspots, or WiMAX. Regardless, one still must grapple ultimately with CAT for international access.

do you how long it take them to have an affordable ADSL , the last time i check, i got adsl from Q-net 3year ago it cost me 5k baht for only 100hr, until now adsl in thailand is still unstable.

good luck on your waiting for wireless broadband offerings.

chingy,

I went to Pantip today to buy the modem. I had intended to buy the D-Link 500G adsl modem, as I had planned on setting up a wireless network with all D-Link stuff, but I got so much negative feedback from at least 3 shops about the modem, that I decided to give d-Link a miss i.e. did not buy a modem today.

So for the moment I am back to doing research and am currently looking at Linksys (owned by Cisco) and hope to make a decision in the next day or so.

chingy,

I went to Pantip today to buy the modem. I had intended to buy the D-Link 500G adsl modem, as I had planned on setting up a wireless network with all D-Link stuff, but I got so much negative feedback from at least 3 shops about the modem, that I decided to give d-Link a miss i.e. did not buy a modem today.

So for the moment I am back to doing research and am currently looking at Linksys (owned by Cisco) and hope to make a decision in the next day or so.

The Linksys kit is excellent for home use. It is very affordable; full-featured; widely supported, both by Linksys and by a large commuity of users; it also allows some hacking to extend the capabilities.

In Thailand, one of the prinicple advantages is that a purchase of Linksys kit is less likely to require post-sale support or return trips to the seller.

Some of the Linksys equipment has an ADSL modem built-in. For example, the wireless (802.11a/b/g) access points.

Cheers

PlanetMan wrote :
Some of the Linksys equipment has an ADSL modem built-in. For example, the wireless (802.11a/b/g) access points

which ones exactly (model numbers)?

Well, darn, maybe I'm wrong aboput Linksys. It appears from the Linksys web site that to have WiFi and a modem one must purchase 2 separate boxen. E. G., the BEFCMU10 (cable/DSL modem) and WRT54G (WiFi router/AP).

If a LAN is available rather than a cable or DSSL modem, then the WRT54G would suffice all by itself.

NetGear does have a combined box, though. The DG834G. "Combines modem, router, switch, 802.11g access point, and SPI True Firewall." Might have to order from US, HK or Singapore. NetGear has

I'll post others is I find them.

Cheers

Well I am pleased to announce this post is being done via my TOT adsl connection.

I am using a Dlink DSL-500G router with built in modem. This is the same unit I was discouraged from buying. I managed to get Dlink to lend me one, so I am testing it out to see for myself what the performance is like. It only took 5 mins to set up, but that is connected direct to a PC. Now I have to get it to work on my network - that may be another story.

As for the adsl, speed seems ok but not fantastic. Well it's only 5 minutes old, so I will know better in the coming days.

I have to say I disagree. D Link has a quality product line. I'm using their AP's and it was sweet to setup and they have great management tools. I have to say though that their driver support for their Wireless NIC cards leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Drivers for XP are still unsigned and it seems to be corrupting my Winsock/IP files - have to reload all the time. Otherwise the products are great.

Guest chingy

I been clean reinstal my computer, and upgrade to XP, have a little problem with-out the proper software, but everything is ok now, up and going.

cyber_cynic: go and upgrade your package to 512/256 only a 100baht more

Any body else running the TOT adsl yet?

I find it pretty slow. Slower at times than the KSC dialup - unless it's the Dlink modem :o

FWIW the modem gets a little warm, but it seems to be behaving itself. Why I was interested in this model in the first place is because of the built in firewall.

I have it running of the lan at the moment. Originally tried to set it up with an IP to match my manually configured network, but after 2 days of grief gave up. Now have the modem running as DHCP server and allocating IPs to the network. Will revisit this issue when I get my own.

Chingy - thanks for the tip, applied for the upgrade today.