Dogs In Danger In Bangkok

Lite Beer

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it is a clash of cultures. We need to remind ourselves that although they dress like modern people, drive motor vehicles and have access to other modern conveniences, some cultures are still living with a 1st century primative mentality..."If it has 4 legs, it's food".

I'm sure it won't be long before they evolve into farang-approved advanced 21st century western standards when it comes to food consumption.

Love the pics.

UK hospitals ( and I hope those in other fatty over run countries ) have now had to ban nurses lifting patients because of the danger to their backs. Now, all patients requiring lifting must be hoisted by a crane!

Sadly, even in Thailand, it is no longer unusual to see future diabetic and heart disease candidates rolling down the streets, and even sadder, it is children being fattened up for their diseased future.

Seems the pics didn't come with the quote, but without them my comment doesn't make much sense- they were of obese people, one of which was in hospital.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Let 'em eat 'em all, from pups to geriatrics. All they do is bark and bite. Listening to the "chorus" across the street from me right now. Bring me that drunk worker from the article and I'll put him to work overtime in my village.

He'll be welcome down my soi too. Dozens of dogs roam free at all times, howl incessantly at all hours, and threaten me as I make my way on my bike. If owners can't look after them properly, they might as well be of use to someone!

• Like 2

is that kinda like amway parties or the ones where they make a sacrifice that you are most fun at

The sacrificial dog eating voo doo parties. Your not invited. FYI those microchips get caught in the teeth so i would recommend not having this procedure done. whistling.gif
  • Like 1

It's heart breaking to lose a pet, really heartbreaking. The problem in Thailand though is that dogs are allowed to be a pest.

There should be a cull of soi dogs, and more taught about responsible ownership. That would be a good start.

Good point, maybe easier said then done.

Poor dogs....cheesy.gif .I find it really disturbing that people carry these things where ever they go like if they are stuck to them. Expecially when they go to the market and they are leaning over and touching the food that I want to buy and won't buy anymore because of this. At one point the owner of this nasty looking long haired "cousin it" looking thing with crap coming out it's eyes was letting it lick the chicken. He or She had hair all over her body from that dam dog and nasty dirt in her finger nails. I could only imagine the shit all over her home.

I have a neighbor that lives behind me with a german shepard. He barks all day all night, I 've been nice and asked them to make it stop, I've screamed at him, thrown rocks at the fricken dog nothing works they just don't get it. I have just as much right to have a peaceful day off as they have in keeping a dog which I have never complained about because even I have two dogs that I feed, pay their medical bills, and wash them, but they are not humans they are dogs. If my dog barks I get up to look, then tell them to be quiet, yes they listen. And just so you know my neighbors dog barks under an awning which elevates the sound or it barks in the carport. If I walk along my back wall the dog jumps up out of know where and starts growling and barking. So if you know someone who need s food I know nice big german shepard.

I find it annoying when people could do more for children yet they choose to leave millions of dollars to a dog or cat. They are free to do what they want but this just seems a bit, " Well I don't even have a word for it". Do I think we should be kind to animals...yes. Do I think that they should be eaten...most definitly I mean I watch "The Untamed World on TV" I think it is more of a shame to eat monkeys than dogs but people eat therm starting with the brains first while the monkey is still alive. Thailand has millions of dogs on the street like rats that bark all night long and if they want to eat them by all means " Bon Apptite". Next time you guys go to eat pork or beef then don't because maybe some kid just lost his best friend. Or what about an egg, if you eat an egg your killing a bird. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

30183814-01_big.jpg

I wouldn't eat this scrot if you paid me 500K ! It'd just be like trying to suck on a chicken's foot! bah.gif

-mel.

I wouldn't eat it either nor would I want to walk by the home that it is at because of the smell

It's heart breaking to lose a pet, really heartbreaking. The problem in Thailand though is that dogs are allowed to be a pest.

There should be a cull of soi dogs, and more taught about responsible ownership. That would be a good start.

Agreed, thank you for the post.wai.gif

Yes, it is a clash of cultures. We need to remind ourselves that although they dress like modern people, drive motor vehicles and have access to other modern conveniences, some cultures are still living with a 1st century primative mentality..."If it has 4 legs, it's food".

When man had to hunt for food yes. Not in modern times. The dog has and is in human service, we should not/don´t have to eat it.sad.pngbah.gifsick.gif

I have a kitchen window which fronts onto a verandah, and it has 4 jemmy marks from 4 separate occasions. By the time they are ready to start prying my inside dog (NOT a toy size) is about a foot away behind a curtain, proceeds to scare the crap out of them and it's feet don't fail me now.

I keep him inside at night because of repeated attempts to poison him. I have since adopted a larger stray who sleeps outside. He is quite friendly and docile until dark, when he gets "territorial". Theft has stopped being a concern in our group of 4 houses, and he is so well fed that he turns his nose up at baits.

When I moved to Thailand I popped into the Vet to register the microchips already implanted in my dogs in Hong Kong. The microchips details are linked to my passport so no matter where I moved in Hong Kong, they knew who owned them. I was told by the vet in Thailand that the government actively discourage microchipping (she even asked if I wanted them removed!). I was shocked, said no, contacted the company in Hong Kong for what it was worth and registered my new location.

l.

Not sure where you got your information from re chipping, in Bangkok they offer it free to anyone with a dog and house registration. CM wwe have to pay a small fee for it. Every owner should have it done and yes I have eaten dog by mistake in Vietnam but never again.

also the people who go through garbage also steel dogs, if its a soi dog then they can sell it for meat, but if its a pet they can sell it on for another owner etc

if aryans 5000 years ago could produce rules for rearing animals for pets or for food, then i cant see why thais should have any excuse for the way they treat so many animals

its one thing i cant stand in this country

It's always a cue as to how pampered someone's life is when they're worried about pet welfare ahead of human welfare. The thinly veiled racism is just icing on the cake. In America that article would read like this:

"Ohmigod y'all! There's like this scary Mexican on my street who like toally eats our dogs!!! GROSS!! And like there's also like this old lady who is SO SWEET GUYS but she's too old to control her dog LOL so anyway it compeltely like got out of her house and the Mexican was going to EAT HIM!!! NOO!!!! She chased him off and we were all like whatevs but daddy paid some money and the police came and took him away and it's totally cool now!!! Go away Mexicans!!! Love me love my dog smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png"

Meanwhile, across Bangkok, huge packs of dogs (like Chuckie mentioned in the article) are attacking people, causing traffic accidents, spreading disease, breeding like rabbits and generally being a huge nuissance, but the main problem deserving of attention in this city is the welfare of canines threatened by the people who build the city, clean the city, clean the homes, wash the dishes, harvest the food - and so on - while living in slave-like conditions and making very little money.

I bet dollars to donuts that more injuries are caused to dogs with owners by stray soi dogs in Bangkok than by immigrant workers. Certainly I've witnessed many more occasions of soi dogs forming up a pack to attack a local who is walking her dog than I have cases of shifty Burmese builders running around the neighborhood with a rope and a sparkle in their eyes. Hell, it's not even a bet, it's almost definitely the case.

Pet fetishism, anothing brilliant Western consumer affectation we've unfortunately exported to the world. The Thai people are to blame alone for their absurd policy on animal control, that's for sure, but this whole thing where pets have become part of the family and more important than other humans is something we made up.

Edited by emilyb
  • Like 2

It's always a cue as to how pampered someone's life is when they're worried about pet welfare ahead of human welfare. The thinly veiled racism is just icing on the cake. In America that article would read like this:

"Ohmigod y'all! There's like this scary Mexican on my street who like toally eats our dogs!!! GROSS!! And like there's also like this old lady who is SO SWEET GUYS but she's too old to control her dog LOL so anyway it compeltely like got out of her house and the Mexican was going to EAT HIM!!! NOO!!!! She chased him off and we were all like whatevs but daddy paid some money and the police came and took him away and it's totally cool now!!! Go away Mexicans!!! Love me love my dog smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png"

Meanwhile, across Bangkok, huge packs of dogs (like Chuckie mentioned in the article) are attacking people, causing traffic accidents, spreading disease, breeding like rabbits and generally being a huge nuissance, but the main problem deserving of attention in this city is the welfare of canines threatened by the people who build the city, clean the city, clean the homes, wash the dishes, harvest the food - and so on - while living in slave-like conditions and making very little money.

I bet dollars to donuts that more injuries are caused to dogs with owners by stray soi dogs in Bangkok than by immigrant workers. Certainly I've witnessed many more occasions of soi dogs forming up a pack to attack a local who is walking her dog than I have cases of shifty Burmese builders running around the neighborhood with a rope and a sparkle in their eyes. Hell, it's not even a bet, it's almost definitely the case.

Pet fetishism, anothing brilliant Western consumer affectation we've unfortunately exported to the world. The Thai people are to blame alone for their absurd policy on animal control, that's for sure, but this whole thing where pets have become part of the family and more important than other humans is something we made up.

I think you are missing the point. Dogs did not ask to be turn out, dumped on the street and half starved most of the time it was us humans that did it and we are the ones who should take responsibility for them. They do not deserved to be tortured and eated by anyone, a puppy is for life not just a whim of the moment.

• Like 1

Dogs can be food like other animals as well....why not?

Even in modern countries horse meat or dog meat are common food.

I myself cannot eat it but that does not mean people who do are cruel.

If you have a dog...take care and nothing will happen!

Good if some of the street dogs in Thailand disappear and if it feeds somebody even better.

I would worry more what my dog could catch from some street dog...

I don't think you understand the problem here. It's not the eating that's the main issue. You should read this first

http://www.soidog.org/en/you-can-help-stop-the-dog-meat-trade/

Unfortunately the OP doesn't mention any of this

And before anyone tries to say "it's just their culture" you need to remember that culture is quite often just an excuse to keep doing something that's wrong. If you go to these countries you'll find them using cars and bikes computers and internet amongst other things which aren't part of their "culture". You try telling them to stop doing because it's culturally incorrect. Culture evolves, it isn't just one point in time.

• Like 1

Here we go again. Another media article about those evil wicked foreigners and their horrible culture. It's funny that those that are the most anti-foreigner are themselves foreigners. They do need to convince their Thai masters that they are one of the "good" foreignersl.

emilyb, on Today, 17:33 , said:

you must have had a terrible childhood, it must be hard being you, but you know what, I dont care, from what I have experienced and seen, many humans are worse behaved and more dangerous than animals. Pet fetishism? western consumer affection? is that your excuse for the inability to love and care for an animal

• Like 2

When I moved to Thailand I popped into the Vet to register the microchips already implanted in my dogs in Hong Kong. The microchips details are linked to my passport so no matter where I moved in Hong Kong, they knew who owned them. I was told by the vet in Thailand that the government actively discourage microchipping (she even asked if I wanted them removed!). I was shocked, said no, contacted the company in Hong Kong for what it was worth and registered my new location.

The easy way to stop Thai's acting like scum with regards to pets (fair weather pets, let be honest) is to force compulsory chipping, and then, give the police scanners. They would love it as it would give them lots and lots of opportunities to get some tea money (extort money from owners of non chipped dogs). I do not think the police would ever actually do anything other than steal peoples money however, if the price of the chips were cheap enough, and the sums demanded by the cops were more each time, then eventually more and more would be chipped. Coupled with making it illegal to sell a pet without a chip implanted, so all the dim witted fashion girlies could be held accountable when their pooch shits on their fake LV hand bag and they chuck it out the door, this would have an impact. The Charities could then spend more money on education and sterylising of strays and eventually the problem would be manageable.

Never going to happen though. No doubt some politicians and coppers make far too much money from the dog meat trade to ever want to combat it. As it stands, my dogs are never left out alone, never off the leash, and always cleaned up after they do their business. There are simple ways to stop this barbaric trade and the other dog related issues but there is no real appetite to combat it. Just a few very good people pissing against the wind of Thai "mai mee, not my problem, I don't care, don't want to lose face" attitude that has been drummed into them for a century.

Thailand has ID cards. They can easily get the scanners and chips made in Thailand creating jobs and a new industry. The cops and politicians would make money from it. True could link them up so on channel 999 you could see a map where your dog is (for a fee), less soi dogs, less pressure on BF's to buy their brainless bimbettes a new puppy every 2 months; the dog farms would be crippled out of business by the cost of implanting and only regulated breeders would exist.... so many positives from one simple action.

I would assume that the HiSo Thai elite (mostly Chinese) have a guilty little secret though; apart from loving the money they reap from the trade, the fill their dinner table as well.

thumbsup.gif

what an ignorant post, some cultures consider eating cows primitive does that make steak eaters 1st century primitives.

• Like 2