Do You Know Your Thai Partner'S Real Thai Name?

TommoPhysicist

Do you know Your Thai partner's Name?  

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mr. Lopburi and I were having a discussion on how many people have relationships with Thais without ever bothering to uniquely identify those persons. We are not talking about one night stands, but proper full-on relationships involving marriage (village or Amphur), children, migration, or just living together in the long term.

Three 'Yes' votes for me.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

I know my girlfriends real name and id number, we had an issue last year where the Thai passport office issued my lady with her first passport, and the translated name did not match the translated name on the id card.

My lady pointed it out to the Passport office and they said that the name they had allocated to her was the official name and she had to get her id card changed. I'll not identify my ladies name however the difference was very little, the id card had her name as Kam...., the Passport office had it as Kham...

This caused major problems, all major documentation had to be changed, including her drivers licence and University degree, ( yes she has one, no she's not Hi-So Chinese ). I think it took her about 5 weeks of arguing with every agency under the Sun to finally get everything to match.

So lo and behold!!!........I had booked us a few flights using her original id card, I was at Denpasar airport at Bali when the airline pointed out that her name on the ticket didn't match the passport name rolleyes.gifcrying.gif

It took me 45 minutes of arguing with different levels of management before they finally folded at let her board the aircraft. I can understand why there can be some variations in translating Thai script to Roman, I know there is not always a direct translation, I'm just pointing out a wee story that might be of use to others.

Anyone who has helped their Thai wife get a green card & then later became a US citizen knows EVERYTHING about her period.

Including all the names she had as a child given to her by monks & parents for luck.

Along with the FBI, DHS,USCIS & probably a few more agencies :)

• Like 2

I know my girlfriends real name and id number, we had an issue last year where the Thai passport office issued my lady with her first passport, and the translated name did not match the translated name on the id card.

My lady pointed it out to the Passport office and they said that the name they had allocated to her was the official name and she had to get her id card changed. I'll not identify my ladies name however the difference was very little, the id card had her name as Kam...., the Passport office had it as Kham...

This caused major problems, all major documentation had to be changed, including her drivers licence and University degree, ( yes she has one, no she's not Hi-So Chinese ). I think it took her about 5 weeks of arguing with every agency under the Sun to finally get everything to match.

So lo and behold!!!........I had booked us a few flights using her original id card, I was at Denpasar airport at Bali when the airline pointed out that her name on the ticket didn't match the passport name rolleyes.gifcrying.gif

It took me 45 minutes of arguing with different levels of management before they finally folded at let her board the aircraft. I can understand why there can be some variations in translating Thai script to Roman, I know there is not always a direct translation, I'm just pointing out a wee story that might be of use to others.

I have had a similar experience .

The people at the housebook office got my sons name wrong . It is a western name , Joseph , and they had it translated as Josep . My wife didnt notice . I am talking about the translation into Thai script . However, when I applied for my son to get a new passport from the Royal Thai Consulate in Hong Kong , they noticed . So my wife and son went back to the amphur and got the name in the housebook corrected . I collected my sons new passport about 6 weeks later and took it back to Thailand .

• Like 1

When I used to engage in explicit P2P, had an arrangement with a couple of ST hotels to give me a copy of the ID cards when I use them rather than trucking them back to my house.

If I'm bringing someone to my home I get a copy of their ID card, longer term relationships also the house papers.

• Like 1

Same problem with me - my son's birth certificate and my wedding certificate with his mother didn't match my work permit and the tax records had yet a third transliteration!

Took about four months of jerking around to get everything in sync, mostly with addendum documents appended to the original.

Most people would never notice until it's creating a problem, so advise those of you entangled in Thai bureacracy to check now ahead of time.

• Like 2

When I used to engage in explicit P2P, had an arrangement with a couple of ST hotels to give me a copy of the ID cards when I use them rather than trucking them back to my house.

If I'm bringing someone to my home I get a copy of their ID card, longer term relationships also the house papers.

Can you explain the significance of the house papers please? ( I've not come across that issue with me not being a resident ).

Can you explain the significance of the house papers please? ( I've not come across that issue with me not being a resident ).

every thai is on a tabien baan generally the family home if they dont own property themselves. All official requests and documentation requires the tabien baan. voting is also tied to the tabien baan,

it is an excellent way to exclude a significant portion of the country from the vote as they would need to travel to teh location on their tabien baan to cast their ballots.

• Like 1

I have copies of everything, but I certainly didn't memorize any numbers.

Also, she uses her Thai name because she doesn't have a nickname.

I consider having a copy of the ID card as 'knowing her number'

You can consider all you want, but knowing a number is not the same having a photocopy. If that was the case we would all get 100% in every exam we took.

FWIW I don't see the point in having a copy. I would just ask her for the original. And my wife doesn't know her own I'd number...........well she does in your interpretation.

You can consider all you want, but knowing a number is not the same having a photocopy. If that was the case we would all get 100% in every exam we took.

I seriously doubt you could pass a calculus or language exam by having the book with you (etc., etc.).

I seriously doubt you could pass a calculus or language exam by having the book with you (etc., etc.).

Passed the calculus exam at 18 thank you. Language, now you got me.....

What's the point, since according to your own standard, the behind is the most important criteria in choosing a partner and women are only "in business between 25 and 30" and over 30 women have a "fat behind", which point you replace them anyway ?

For coherence purposes, I suggest the OP to give them numbers thumbsup.gif

Most come with a number anywaybiggrin.png

I had to jump through so many hoops...some flaming...some entwined with death adders.... others resembling the jaws of a great white, and my wife to be happened to change her first name ever so slightly before I met her....didn't that cause some ripples!

That was just to get her a tourist visa to the land down under...

....so YES I do know my wife's real name and have ALL her papers to verify that we are both legal and don't have to look over our shoulders 24/7.

Phew! w00t.gif

Why else would someone start such an inane thread? whistling.gif

I would hazard a guess and say 95% of the geriatric farangs in Thailand cant remember or even know their wives or GF real name

Yeah but I don't care 'cos I know what she looks like.

• Like 2