10 Pubs In Chiang Mai Shut Down By The Authorities. Anyone Know Which Ones?

happysanook

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh... Sorry, this news was published May 31st. "Governor closes down 10 pubs in Chiang Mai". At least, that's the date on the page.

Shat. Sorry! Guess, still wondering which ones they were.

The ones that weren't open.

My question is why did they just run a headline some place with nio explanation or names of those affected. Was it a one day thing or a permanent closure.

This sounds like it could have come from the Nation which we all know is unreliabble and the main source of information for Thai Visa.

Or are you trolling.

definitely not trolling... and not from the nation... sorry, i should of checked the date before posting. the article said names of the pubs would follow. the way the short article is written makes it sound like it was "permanent".... and due to drug use and underage drinking...

well, i will post the link, and let the mods delete it if they wish...

http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=396

Not being into the late nite bar-hopping scene, I do know that the one that seems to have gotten the most negative press, especially on this forum , in the one named The Spice.

Lots of neighbors seemed to complain to no avail.....

Is this one still open, anyone know?

Ugh... Sorry, this news was published May 31st. "Governor closes down 10 pubs in Chiang Mai". At least, that's the date on the page.

As it was published 11 days ago and no members have not complained/askeded questions about this, I think they are places that are aimed at the local clientele (Thai). No need to get worried. Your regular Loi Kroh bar is still open. tongue.png

Edited by Semper

Not being into the late nite bar-hopping scene, I do know that the one that seems to have gotten the most negative press, especially on this forum , in the one named The Spice.

Lots of neighbors seemed to complain to no avail.....

Is this one still open, anyone know?

Spicy still open. Was there Saturday unfortunately. Though Friday, it got shut down by 10 guys wearing white uniforms and toting clipboards.

As it was published 11 days ago and no members have not complained/askeded questions about this, I think they are places that are aimed at the local clientele (Thai). No need to get worried. Your regular Loi Kroh bar is still open. tongue.png

What is left of the adult entertainment venues in Chiang Mai is slowing being eroded and on borrowed time, including the few beerbars in the Loi Kroh road. There is now an unwritten rule being enforced that no more licenses are to be issued for any new drinking houses, bars, large massage parlours, clubs and western style restaurants in the town. It is also looking doubtful, other than a few exceptions, that the already existing establishments will be permitted to extend they’re licenses once they expire.

The emphasis by the councils and police is to eventually close down all the bars and drinking establishments in the hope that tourists will turn their attentions to other attractions such as, trekking, the elephant camps, sight seeing, golf clubs, the night safari, zoo and so on. Therefore giving Chiang Mai a reputation as being a nature resort. The philosophy is that this will attract the more mature higher grade tourists that will spend more money by staying at expensive hotels, play golf, go on expensive tours, eat at high priced restaurants and then go to bed at reasonable times.

The in-between the line message is; if you want wine, women and song, than go South and don`t bother coming to Chiang Mai. This is what a little birdy told me and my little birdy`s are reliable.

I would guess that most of what is now in the Loi Kroh road will be gone within the next three to four years and will probably become non descript, something like the Taepae road, maybe replaced by small souvenir shops, a few restaurants and granny parlours. .

The writing is on the wall and anyone that is involved in the bar, restaurant, massage and club businesses of Chiang Mai should consider either re-locating or changing occupations altogether because the situation is not going to improve as Chiang Mai is being transformed into the country’s largest village rather than Thailand’s second biggest city.

• Like 2

TGhought I had posted this

Here is the article. it was in city news. I think it is OK to puplish there article.

At any rate notice the last line.

"CityNews does not know at the moment which establishments have been closed

Chuchart blames drug use for many of Chiang Mai’s problems, and in agreement with the Chiang Mai Governor an order was issued to close 10 pubs in Chiang Mai. The reason is not only because of an assumption that people might take drugs in these pubs but because the places that have been closed have been accused of allowing underage drinkers into their establishment.

He also said that many of these pubs have owners or part owners that work in the government and so they can easily evade the strictures of the law."

If City News is a unacceptable source on TV remove it.

What is left of the adult entertainment venues in Chiang Mai is slowing being eroded and on borrowed time, including the few beerbars in the Loi Kroh road. There is now an unwritten rule being enforced that no more licenses are to be issued for any new drinking houses, bars, large massage parlours, clubs and western style restaurants in the town. It is also looking doubtful, other than a few exceptions, that the already existing establishments will be permitted to extend they’re licenses once they expire.

The emphasis by the councils and police is to eventually close down all the bars and drinking establishments in the hope that tourists will turn their attentions to other attractions such as, trekking, the elephant camps, sight seeing, golf clubs, the night safari, zoo and so on. Therefore giving Chiang Mai a reputation as being a nature resort. The philosophy is that this will attract the more mature higher grade tourists that will spend more money by staying at expensive hotels, play golf, go on expensive tours, eat at high priced restaurants and then go to bed at reasonable times.

The in-between the line message is; if you want wine, women and song, than go South and don`t bother coming to Chiang Mai. This is what a little birdy told me and my little birdy`s are reliable.

I would guess that most of what is now in the Loi Kroh road will be gone within the next three to four years and will probably become non descript, something like the Taepae road, maybe replaced by small souvenir shops, a few restaurants and granny parlours. .

The writing is on the wall and anyone that is involved in the bar, restaurant, massage and club businesses of Chiang Mai should consider either re-locating or changing occupations altogether because the situation is not going to improve as Chiang Mai is being transformed into the country’s largest village rather than Thailand’s second biggest city.

Sounds all 'pie in the sky'. Do you have an any real contacts with Thai authorities or are you just guessing. Would like to hear who your sources are so we can judge if what you say is true. Maybe it is a wowser wishing for a Chiang Mai that is a missionary's haven. Enlighten us.

• Like 1

There are probably 3 or 4 new bars and a short/long time hotel on Loi Kroh opened over the last month/6 weeks alone. I do not believe anyone in the know investing money in a business would reno an old joint if the future were that bleak, so new is new. You'll notice by my avatar, I am my own little birdy.

• Like 2

Well, as we develop a few properties in Chiang Mai we know the new zoning system is now in place and they are 'currently' super strict about everything including heights of the buildings being developed.

So chances are this is part of it as well.

But I highly doubt that they will be strict for so long, especially for something so temporarily like licenses to operate pubs and bars.

Well, as we develop a few properties in Chiang Mai we know the new zoning system is now in place and they are 'currently' super strict about everything including heights of the buildings being developed.

So chances are this is part of it as well.

But I highly doubt that they will be strict for so long, especially for something so temporarily like licenses to operate pubs and bars.

A zoning system! I had no idea there was a zoning system in CM. What's next? Sidewalks for pedestrian use, (as opposed to sidewalks for motorbikes going the wrong way, four foot wide advertising signs, phone booths, police traffic boxes, tuk-tuk driver rest stops, restaurant tables and chairs, miscellaneous promotional items on various table and portable counter space, garbage disposal, trees, low hanging wiring, sandwich boards etc.)? A ban on speaker trucks? Licensing soi dogs?

• Like 1

Sounds all 'pie in the sky'. Do you have an any real contacts with Thai authorities or are you just guessing. Would like to hear who your sources are so we can judge if what you say is true. Maybe it is a wowser wishing for a Chiang Mai that is a missionary's haven. Enlighten us.

Yes, I do have some real contacts with Thai authorities, but I`m certainly not going to quote my sources, especially as nothing has become offical yet. But as I said; the writings on the wall.

It makes no difference to me, I`m not out to prove a point of looking for credibility, but my advice is that anyone already or those considering getting involved in the adult entertainments businesses of Chiang Mai should start surveying the situation in more detail before jumping in at the deep end and making investments into it. This is basically my message and I maybe doing someone a favour.

I love the nightlife scene and Chiang Mai has become far too tame for me over the years. And I`ll say this in advance before someone says it; no, I won`t F/off and go somewhere else.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

Well yes, there was a big crackdown Friday night.

A lot of places were raided by police, and told to enforce a strict close at 12 midnight or 1 AM schedule, depending on licence.

I'm not aware of any establishment being permanently closed, just a clampdown on some of the after-hours places.

• Like 1

Seems like that solid information comes up about once a year. It always comes from reliable sources.

• Like 1

Personally, I would welcome that.

I don't have anything against the bars or those who visit them, but at the very least they should not allow it to grow beyond what it is now. One street and a few small sois is plenty. And if they do away with them all, I'm OK with that too. I'm sure entertainment will find its way elsewhere, to the outskirts of town perhaps. You can't keep that sort of thing down. Just like they do in many parts of the world, they just zone it to a less desirable area.

If the powers that be had their way, we’d all be required to deposit our wallets at the airport and there’d be no bars anywhere. The intention wouldn't surprise me and the place could do without attracting the Pattaya crowd, but to be fair, the type they’re after don’t really visit Thailand in great numbers. It's all face and there is money to be made in both scenario's, so what would likely happen (if anything) is the closure of the visible tarty bars (& the likes of Jackie’s Van) and the obligatory relocation of its 'workers' to the entertainment plaza, or out to the peripherals.

As someone else said, you ain't gonna completely eradicate it and there will always be the karaoke/massage places. Also, unless they wish to solely target robotic Asian groups who tend to do it all in-house, people, even mature ones, like to enjoy a beverage in a pub of a night. As above, CM (Muang Thai in general) just isn’t that sort of place and would end up shooting itself in the foot with such wholesale changes.

If the powers that be had their way, we’d all be required to deposit our wallets at the airport

<snip for brevity>

This brings-to-mind an old cartoon showing the tourist-charter arriving at Kampala Airport, with people walking down the steps to be greeted by a smiling Idi Amin who collects their spondulix, then going to the rear-stairs & climbing back on the plane.

The caption read something-like "Thank-you for visiting friendly Uganda, we've got your cash, so you can go home again now. Have a pleasant flight !" laugh.png

No!!!

Chiang Mai is actually the 6th largest city in Thailand

People talk here of Chiang Mai drying up and driving all the tourists away because there'll be no bars for them to have a brew or places to get the family jewels carresed , rubbish, there's tons of places for both sets of activities. If folks would but look around they'll be reassured that almost every hotel and restaurant, and there's a ton of them, has a bar, there's also several tons of smaller Thai bars and clubs spread out all over the city and suburbs. As for the other stuff, those places exist in spades and one only needs to drive down Chan Klan at night to understand that. Yes there is a demise of Pattaya type bars but the goods sold by them are still freely available.

• Like 1