Options For A Single Guy To Purchase Property?

I need some stability in my life at the moment, so owning a place is very high up on my list of priorities.

Your quest for stability is admirable. Unfortunatley, the stability you crave does not exist in property ownership in Thailand (condo aside)

There is some superb advice on this thread but you seem to be ignoring it.

Farangs arriving in Thailand seem to be eager to learn from thier own mistakes and not others.

Everyone has read a few posts on the internet and all of a sudden is an expert on Thailand.

I was this way and i made the same set of mistakes you are so keen to emulate.

I will quote a recenlty departed member whose Thaivisa priveledges were removed due to his acidic style. No greater advice you will find anywhere on this forum.

"When in Thailand, rent your house, rent your girlfriend, that way when the seperation day arrives you can pack up and move on with the minimun of hassle"

You also mention that you have to find a job that you like.

You will have to be at the top of your game to get any decent paid employment here and, if you are very lucky you might just not hate it.

There is little chance you can come here and pick and choose job opportunities and just take something that you fancy....wake up!

Ok Madforit, looks like you do not like listening to what you do not want to hear.

I was telling you about how I did it because I have a Thai to do it. You do not, so that is why I would not opt to do it if I was in your shoes. Listen and you shall hear.

As for 'bullcrap' well I did not think we were allowend to say 'bullshit', let me try it 'bullshit'.... you said 'there are not many condos in Phuket' I said bullcrap simply because in your extensive search, you must have had your head in the sand the majority of the time.

Also you say 'surely they're not all flouting the law??'....... well if it is illegal to own land as a foreigner in Thailand, they are all doing it as a round about way with various twists, still boils down to exploiting a loophole perhaps. But I can see the day that they close all these loopholes and go and take their land back lol.

Good luck in the future with your land purchase single guy.

Hey N&M, not wanting to start a fight here mate.

A few things to clear up - I objected to the use of the word 'bullcrap', as it shows little respect for the writer (ie me). Whatever your position or knowledge its nice to at least keep things civil.

Perhaps I was over-hasty about condos in Phuket - as far as Phuket goes I have only looked at houses, in fact the same goes for Bangkok too, as I am not interested in a condo, for the above stated reasons. There are a lot fewer high-rises in Phuket than Bangkok, hence the comment. I have looked extensively at property, both in person and over the web - in fact I've personally visited at least 8 developments around Minburi alone in the last 3 months, and talked to several legal firms - if that isn't extensive I don't know what is. Next visit out I'll be doing the same in Phuket.

You said 'But as for owning a slice of LAND with a house on it seperate from all around. I would forget it.' Fair enough, never my plan! Looking mainly at estates so far.

Imagine this scenario. You go to the doctors as you've wrenched you knee, but despite you pointing this out he insists on repeatedly giving you advice for a sore throat. Obviously you get a bit frustrated.

This problem is similar to that which you get with web forums. Whilst I genuinely and honsestly thank everyone for taking the time to post replies, my inital post was not entitled "Shall I buy or rent?" The decision to buy is already made, hence the thread title "Options For A Single Guy To Purchase Property?". Lots of people seem to want to tell me that it's easier with a Thai wife, or that I should just rent. For me they are not options. All I wanted to know was if there were any other purchasing options not presented to me by my legal advisers that anyone out there on this forum has used. That's all.

Like you said, good luck to me purchasing. I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Thanks again

Paul

I will quote a recenlty departed member whose Thaivisa priveledges were removed due to his acidic style. No greater advice you will find anywhere on this forum.

"When in Thailand, rent your house, rent your girlfriend, that way when the seperation day arrives you can pack up and move on with the minimun of hassle"

Who said that?

I agree 100% :o

madforit,

Well, the others gave you quite a drubbing, and that’s OK. Here’s the real scoop: you can form a company to buy property. The previous poster, and others, have given you a Gloomy Gus outlook, “what if the laws change…” Sure, and what if the sky falls. To date, NO ONE has a home due to “loopholes” in the law. I can recommend Sunbelt Asia to assist you - Greg will provide a free consultation about setting up a company. Although the vast majority of us farangs who live here, love the country and the people. There are others who are living here that are angry, suspicious and, frankly, racist. They’ve run away from their home country, and then complain bitterly that Thailand is not like their home country. The same people who are more than happy to pay bribes to Customs, Immigration, or the police, complain about the rampant corruption. I’ve always believed “integrity is what you do when you think no one is looking”. For many farangs, this concept is foreign and completely wrong. You decide.

You’ve gotten an earful about real estate…there are 3 types of people:

- those who refuse to buy, because it ties them down

- those who buy because home ownership is important

- those who complain constantly, and always find a reason not to buy

The first two groups are pretty clear. The third…they complain when the baht is weak, they complain when the baht is strong. Their entire exposure to the Thai economy is based on beer and bar girls. “I’ll never buy in a falling market. I can’t tell where the bottom is. Heck, I don’t know inflation from deflation, but I know it’s bad.” Others complain, “I don’t buy in a rising market. It’s all too expensive, it’s always expensive, I’ve never gotten a break in my life. It’s a conspiracy. Heck, everything’s a conspiracy.” FYI: I’ve bought a beautiful home, at an attractive price, in a nice neighborhood. I’m a lucky, lucky guy.

Never forget: Thailand is a sovereign nation, with laws that have been written to protect their country. You, no matter how long you live here, how much money you spend, or who you decide to date or marry, will always be a farang. Respect their country, their customs and culture, their religion and, most importantly, their royal family.

Welcome to Thailand, madforit. It’s a beautiful country, filled with (mostly) beautiful people. Good luck with all of your endeavors. Enjoy!

Who said that?

I agree 100% :o

It was Khun Larry, he never had much to say that could be deemed as positive :D

An interesting guy nevertheless.

There is some superb advice on this thread but you seem to be ignoring it.

Farangs arriving in Thailand seem to be eager to learn from thier own mistakes and not others.

Everyone has read a few posts on the internet and all of a sudden is an expert on Thailand.

Fair comment. I don't suppose the fact that have spent 3 years living in Thailand and speak the language reasonably well counts for much either!

Oh yeah, and I don't claim to be an expert, but I do know a fair bit about Thailand, just not that much so far on the property market, hence the recent research and thread posting.

madforit,

Well, the others gave you quite a drubbing, and that’s OK. Here’s the real scoop: you can form a company to buy property. The previous poster, and others, have given you a Gloomy Gus outlook, “what if the laws change…” Sure, and what if the sky falls. To date, NO ONE has a home due to “loopholes” in the law. I can recommend Sunbelt Asia to assist you - Greg will provide a free consultation about setting up a company. Although the vast majority of us farangs who live here, love the country and the people. There are others who are living here that are angry, suspicious and, frankly, racist. They’ve run away from their home country, and then complain bitterly that Thailand is not like their home country. The same people who are more than happy to pay bribes to Customs, Immigration, or the police, complain about the rampant corruption. I’ve always believed “integrity is what you do when you think no one is looking”. For many farangs, this concept is foreign and completely wrong. You decide.

The first two groups are pretty clear. The third…they complain when the baht is weak, they complain when the baht is strong. Their entire exposure to the Thai economy is based on beer and bar girls. “I’ll never buy in a falling market. I can’t tell where the bottom is. Heck, I don’t know inflation from deflation, but I know it’s bad.” Others complain, “I don’t buy in a rising market. It’s all too expensive, it’s always expensive, I’ve never gotten a break in my life. It’s a conspiracy. Heck, everything’s a conspiracy.” FYI: I’ve bought a beautiful home, at an attractive price, in a nice neighborhood. I’m a lucky, lucky guy.

Never forget: Thailand is a sovereign nation, with laws that have been written to protect their country. You, no matter how long you live here, how much money you spend, or who you decide to date or marry, will always be a farang. Respect their country, their customs and culture, their religion and, most importantly, their royal family.

Welcome to Thailand, madforit. It’s a beautiful country, filled with (mostly) beautiful people. Good luck with all of your endeavors. Enjoy!

Thankyou Backflip. Useful post., and yes, I recognise the types you comment on :o

I'll speak to Greg when I get back out there later this Spring....and buy you a beer perhaps!

Cheers

Paul

Great summary.

:o

I have looked extensively at property, both in person and over the web - in fact I've personally visited at least 8 developments around Minburi alone in the last 3 months, and talked to several legal firms - if that isn't extensive I don't know what is. Next visit out I'll be doing the same in Phuket.

If you're looking in this area, IMO the two most reputable developers are Land and Houses with their Nantawan Ramkhamhaeng project and Tararom with their Parkway Chalet project, both on Sukapibal 3 Road.

:o