Phuket's Soi Dogs Launches 'Trade Of Shame' Campaign Against Dog-Meat Trade

webfact

Congrats on receiving 9 likes for your posts;

Thanks, it was a very proud day. smile.png

In my opinion you're the one who's being pompous and arrogant.

That's an opinion you're entitled to. However, I think you will find I was able to share my opinion without resorting to name calling and telling people they weren't even worthy of talking to me. I guess my understanding of arrogance differs from yours somewhat. Not to mention the thread was about the transportation of soi dogs to be used as dog meat and not soi dogs in general.

• Like 1

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on receiving 9 likes for your posts;

Thanks, it was a very proud day. smile.png

In my opinion you're the one who's being pompous and arrogant.

That's an opinion you're entitled to. However, I think you will find I was able to share my opinion without resorting to name calling and telling people they weren't even worthy of talking to me. I guess my understanding of arrogance differs from yours somewhat. Not to mention the thread was about the transportation of soi dogs to be used as dog meat and not soi dogs in general.

revisit your post that does refer to Soi dogs in general

so cruelty to animals and selling unhygienic meat is a good trade?

Definitely. Just ask the French about their lucrative Fois Gras industry.

there is a difference between "good" and "lucrative" - heroine smuggling is lucrative - would you describe that as "good"?

PS - Is "fois gras" unhygienic?

Do you condone the production of fois gras? - does that make the dog trade OK?

Edited by cowslip

^

So, if the dogs were killed humanely and the meat was hygienic, would you then think that the dog trade was OK?

Or, are you against eating dogs whatever the circumstances?

Please do yourself the service of reading my posts before you reply to me.

^

So, if the dogs were killed humanely and the meat was hygienic, would you then think that the dog trade was OK?

I asked him the same question several times but got no response. The closest was him saying it was "A misguided tradition", but he also said the same about rabbit, dear, pheasant etc etc which are all perfectly humane, clean, popular meat sources.

He doesn't do straight answers just pompous, belittling, delusions of grandeur type replies. bah.gif

^

I asked him the same question several times but got no response. The closest was him saying it was "A misguided tradition", but he also said the same about rabbit, dear, pheasant etc etc which are all perfectly humane, clean, popular meat sources.

He doesn't do straight answers just pompous, belittling, delusions of grandeur type replies. bah.gif

I think Mr HKF needs to brush up a it on how game is "farmed" - because it is and the effects it has on the environment and whether it is an efficient way to produce food on a crowded planet.

• 1 month later...

It’s a Korean eats (Thai) dog world... with a little bit of help from Thailand?

It’s boshintang (invigorating soup) week in Korea.........

As this week or at least Tuesday 7th was the dog eating festival in Korea, (it is believed that a traditional spicy dog stew it protects them against the heat (people not the dogs, that is). So here are Just a few thoughts on dog consumption around the world.

From Wikipedia..

“According to contemporary reports, dog meat is consumed in a variety of countries such as Switzerland,[3] China,[4] Vietnam,[5] Korea.[6] In addition, dog meat has also been used as survival food in times of war and/or other hardships.[7][8]”

“In contemporary times, some cultures view the consumption of dog meat to be a part of their traditional cuisine, while others consider consumption of dog to be inappropriate and offensive on both social and religious grounds. Especially with cultural globalization, greater international criticism (particularly from international animal organizations like the World Society for the Protection of Animals) has been increasingly directed against dog meat consumption and the torture of dogs caged and farmed for their meat.[10] In response to criticisms, proponents of dog meat have argued that distinctions between livestock and pets is subjective, and that there is no difference with eating the meat of different animals.[11][12][13] Historical cultural records in China have, however, noted how Chinese variations on Buddhism have preached against the consumption of dog meat, the latter of which is held as one of the five 'forbidden meats'. Eating dog is also forbidden under both Jewish dietary laws[14] and Islamic dietary laws.[15][16]”

It seems that Koreas appetite for dog exceeds the home population so they have to come from elsewhere it has been suggested that some originates in Thailand - I wonder if they saw the disheveled, mangy animals, the sordid conditions they are transported and the methods of killing, would so many Koreans would continue to eat dog?

There is a tendency for some to start throwing words like culture and tradition around in defence of these sort of things, but I’d submit that is a rather facile argument. Essentially everyone’s actions have effects, and these effects ripple out beyond the slaughter house and the dining table.

Domesticated animals are bred selectively for specific purposes - e.g. cattle for meat and milk., chickens for meat and eggs etc etc...... The dog was not selectively bred for the purpose of consumption although necessity has dictated it be eaten from time to time - i.e. famine etc.......but that tends to include almost every living thing. There are certain species of dog that are bred primarily for food, but it is not in a dogs DNA to be good livestock and their slaughter always seems to fall outside normal govt regulations and standards of hygiene.

The way that most dogs are taken to and then slaughtered is usually quite appallingly cruel, without regard for an intelligent animal’s senses and lacking in basic humanity.

I’d suggest this says a lot about those who support or take part in the consumption of dog. Most people who are cruel to animals are usually cruel and uncaring towards most things - including people. Whether it is lack of education or an awareness of the world they live in, these people seem to fail to see how their actions affect the rest of the world. So I find it hard to look at the consumption of dog meat and come out on support for it.

Dog does not form an essential part of anyone’s diet - it can easily be replaced with other domesticated animals bred for the purpose - it is really just a source of pleasure - and if you watch the killing of these animals you’ll probably come to the conclusion that pleasure it taken in causing the animals to suffer before they are dispatched. If it is a “tradition” or “culture” it is one of cruelty and insensitivity. If these people want to be respected by the rest of the population on this planet, then they need to earn our respect......eating dogs doesn’t do that - it’s an attitude that disrespects the biosphere in which we live, regarding animals as nothing more than items for us to use or abuse as we wish. This thinking is old, outdated and in conflict with all known science about our planet and how we are intrinsically linked to - and depend on - its eco-systems and all that is in it.

I’m pretty sure also that most people in Thailand would not support this trade and more were well informed on it., they’d be more public action to put an end to the trade in dogs.