EURO 2012: NBTC Slaps Fine On TrueVisions

webfact

The topic is TRUE Visions screwing the public. Not what they are showing or not.

Yea I hear ya. I'm so through with cable anyway. Its all a ripoff. I just download everything.

Thomasbird67. Do I take it you are a Celtic supporter from Scotland or Ireland? I am a Scot, and a Celtic supporter. Can you tell me how to download Celtic and English Premiership games on the internet? I don't mind paying a subscription.

NBTC must have been made up solely on morons that have left the rice fields a century ago. Where they have the possibility to fine both the Army broadcasters and True 5 million baht per day, they come up with a ridiculous fine of 20,000 baht per day. The same amount they spend in their local massage parlor every day. It would really make them think twice next time when they screw their customers. The old pamper wearing judges in Thailand are extracted from the Thai elite. They look at any consumer with the utmost disgust. The same people slap 50,000 baht a day fines on warehouses that modified their buildings by adding numerous floors. And if people get killed it is mea culpa.

By the way NTBC said the minim fine was 50,000 THB per day on Friday. so the No-No's even tempered with their own minimum rules.

• Like 2

I can understand that a 'blank screen' would result in a penalty, but if TRUE broadcasts 'something else' why would they still be fined? Unless they made a (documented) promise to the public.

Last time I checked the right to watch the Euro 2012 championship wasn't documented in the Universal Rights of Humans :-)

My understanding is that GMM did offer to sell the rights to True, but that True didn't wan't to co-operate with this new kid on the block.

In Chiang Mai anyone with the WETV cable signal can watch the games live -though with a Thai commentary, which, if you don't speak Thai is less than satisfactory - difficult to be passionate in a language that only has one way of expressing passion oohoooo! The number of 'o's after the 'h'' denoting how passionate the commentator is!

• Like 2

This makes no sense at all. How can NTBC fine True for not transmitting a signal to which they do not have the rights? I am no fan of True, in fact we got rid of them about a month ago, yet this fine smells of power grabbing. If True did announce that the signal would be available then that may be a reason for investigation and subsequent penalty but only if such action is within the jurisdiction of NTBC. I wouldn't be surprised if True took the NTBC to court over this. Though mind you the paltry fine of 20k a day probably is cheaper than court.

Have Grammy now made the signal available to True? Why should Grammy allow True to re-broadcast if True don't pay? Simple business.

• Like 1

GMM bought the rights for the euro2012 and shares with channel 3,5 and 7 under the condion that sat signal will be encrypted.They paid 400million bt,so why they should they share with everybody?Whats the point of spending a lot of money for the broadcast rights if everybody can broadcast or watch for free?

Channel 3,5 & 7 do not have "sat signals" to encrypt. They are free over the air channels. Grammy is denying True access to these free channels unless they pay for them.

See the problem? Pay for somehting free?

TH

If you have a high speed internet conection hide your ip using a uk vpn conect to big screen tv via hdmi stop vpn when you have picture from bbc or itv and hey presto live football or anything else you want for a fiver a month like s.k. aroi ratchaphakinai road chaing mai opp wat chaing man temple will be showing live englamd games from itv and bbc and sky sports sod true vision gold package

I signed up for the Platinum package, especially to get Grid Iron US Football, right after I signed up they canceled US Football. Have them bring back Grid Iron to their imprisoned subscribersbeatdeadhorse.gif Are there any other satellite TV resources one can subscribe to, then I might scrape True Visions for good.whistling.gif

Edited by PingManDan
  • Like 1

The good thing about not having the footie on True is that I will not have to endure the pain of watching Woy and his boys getting sent home at the end of the qualifiers , because those who believe England can go all the way are either fools or spend all day drinking the thai whiskey. True have upgraded me today for a month which leaves me more than happy !!!!!

I asked my wife to cancel our True subscription today, not because of the EURO12 nonsense, but because we're moving to Australia. After she had spent 1/2 hour on the phone, (in Thai - which I don't understand), she came and offered me various options,

i) we can have our signal cut-off but then continue to pay them 150THB per month for equipment rental, and can pay them 495THB to re-connect within 12 months,

ii) downgrade to their most basic package at 495THB a month or

iii) they will arrange for a service agent to come and remove our box and dish, at our cost, which will be taken out of the original deposit! - and the 'service agent charges us 500THB just to turn up as the office is 100km away! I will also 'owe' a full month, even though we'll be shut down on the 14th!

I'm tempted to leave their equipment in a black bag at the end of the road and to tell them where to find it!! T*ssers!

I can't really see the beef here. In the UK if you want to watch something on Sky but don't have their dish, either sign up or don't watch it.

Grammy bought the rights, sign up with Grammy. Simples.

Luckily here there are local cable operators all over the country who all carry Thai TV channels.

Sure, English commentary would be nice but hey, it's FREE!

Those without cable, if you can afford True Visions then you can afford a standard TV antenna to watch it all..!!

Well the real story (besides the fact that CP group and Grammy are arch competitors) is that the "free channels" have to share advertising revenue with Grammy they do not get the feed for "free". It looks like True was hoping to get it for "free" just by rebroadcasting the Thai channels (and perhaps selling the ads without sharing it with Grammy).

GMM bought the rights for the euro2012 and shares with channel 3,5 and 7 under the condion that sat signal will be encrypted.They paid 400million bt,so why they should they share with everybody?Whats the point of spending a lot of money for the broadcast rights if everybody can broadcast or watch for free?

Channel 3,5 & 7 do not have "sat signals" to encrypt. They are free over the air channels. Grammy is denying True access to these free channels unless they pay for them.

TH

yes i see the problem,but then i would say only chanell 3.5 and 7 are to blame,not GMM,and NTBC should fine channel 3,5 and 7.How GMm can deny the acces only ch.3.5 and 7 can do that.i assume GMM and ch 3,5 and 7 made a deal, u can broadcast on 3,5 and 7 we share advertising income but u must block true .Anyway I still blame true for not sharing broadcast rights when they had a chance for it,GMm paid 400million bt,then i think its stupid to think u can broadcast for free

TH

Is Grammy denying those free channels from every other dish and box, like PSI, IPM etc? Something you have bought, paid one time and which don't have monthly bill. So to whom NBTC slaps fine on that denying?

..........True makes HUGE profits and was not willing to share some cost with others in order for us to have a working TV.

True made a mistake and they will have to pay for it.

Obviously some people cant read annual reports smile.png

I agree with other posters, this is a strange case. The IP belongs with Grammy, but NBTC are forcing True to broadcast ........... TIT

True is not a very profitable company?

NBTC is NOT forcing True to broadcast the channels. They are forcing True to make a deal with Grammy (and then broadcast the channels). True doesn't want a deal and is hoping that NBTC will force them to broadcast at NBTC's risk (for free). True CANNOT broadcast without consent from Grammy (and EURO12) otherwise they might face huge legal battles.

Edited by Nickymaster

I hear people with sattelite dishes (one-off payment with no monthly fees) can't watch the Euros either (on the free thai channels).

Is that True Visions' fault or is it GMM's?

Exactly!! Finally somebody that understand the matter!!! Freeloaders which is so emensley common here in Thailand with copying (stealing) everything should be punished, and they often will be in the end.

Now it is a big TV-network that is like a huge parasit in cyberspace. They were even offered by GMM to participate in buying the rights for EURO 2012, what happened?? Same o same o, Thailand (TrueVision) refused to pay anything and just let GMM stand there alone to carry the whole burdon......

So for me, I am happy at least that TrueVision got screwed, because maybe this can be some kind of a "message" for these freeloaders here in Thailand, saying that if they like to be a member out there in the real world it is time to put up and pay up, FINALLY.....

Glegolo

The unscrupulous way True Vision has treated its subscribers for years is one of the major reason why I moved out of Thailand to a neighbouring country. Now I get to watch HD channels and sports broadcast in English for free with the platinum equivalent package for just THB980 a month instead of THB1800 a month.

A 'legal' solution?

In Australia, Telstra has the rights to AFL and NRL Live Broadcasts.

OPTUS broadcast the feed with a 30 second delay.

They succesfully argued that as it's not a Live Broadcast, they are not breaking any laws.

(Although Telstra, the AFL and NRL are appealing this decision, or possibly have had it over turned? Not sure?)

Could True do the same?

Z

The good thing about not having the footie on True is that I will not have to endure the pain of watching Woy and his boys getting sent home at the end of the qualifiers , because those who believe England can go all the way are either fools or spend all day drinking the thai whiskey. True have upgraded me today for a month which leaves me more than happy !!!!!

I asked my wife to cancel our True subscription today, not because of the EURO12 nonsense, but because we're moving to Australia. After she had spent 1/2 hour on the phone, (in Thai - which I don't understand), she came and offered me various options,

i) we can have our signal cut-off but then continue to pay them 150THB per month for equipment rental, and can pay them 495THB to re-connect within 12 months,

ii) downgrade to their most basic package at 495THB a month or

iii) they will arrange for a service agent to come and remove our box and dish, at our cost, which will be taken out of the original deposit! - and the 'service agent charges us 500THB just to turn up as the office is 100km away! I will also 'owe' a full month, even though we'll be shut down on the 14th!

I'm tempted to leave their equipment in a black bag at the end of the road and to tell them where to find it!! T*ssers!

After sending an email expressing my displeasure with Truevisions and wanting to cancel this is what I received:

"If you have made a decision already, this email is officially to inform you that, to cancel the service, the technician will contact you within 5 working days. In the mean time, your subscription will be prorated as usual." ...I intern sent them another email stating that I was not going to pay anything after the date of my email cancelling True Visions......and guess what, the service was disconnected withing two minutes of my sending that email....no joking....Then an email from them saying the technician would be around on the 30th to pick up the equipment....they didn't come until yesterday.....I had UBC/True visions for many years and kicked myself for not cancelling sooner....they suck......and by the way, I didn't pay anything for them to come and pick up the equipment.....also, don't let them tell you they will send you your deposit after sixty days, that's BS....tell them they will get the equipment at the same time you get your deposit back....worked for me!

Edited by JRinger

"TrueVisions today announced service upgrade to all subscribers, during June 10-July 11. Those with Platinum package will be entitled to the 9-channel A La Carte package, the Gold Package will have access to the Platinum Package, and those with other packages can access True Sports channels."

ALLRIGHT! Now I can get StarWorld channel for free! I'm watching "Cougar Town" right now and "New Girl" later tonight!

TrueVisions ROCKS!!!

This is big mess leading to potential extortion, the way NBTC is handling it.

Imagine GMM buying rights to the next World Cup and they want True to pay half, some 200 million baht. True doesn't see any business sense in it and refuses, but that's not the end, this is where extortion scheme only starts - GMM gives the rights to broadcast to free channels and because True is obliged to show free content, GMM can now demand True pay those 200 million without any right to refuse.

True entered into obligation to relay free channels on the basis that they are free, now GMM found the way to charge True hundreds of millions of baht (and calling it "enter into negotiations") and NBTC is fully supporting it.

>>>

People doing maths with 20,000 per day fine - how much extra True should charge its customers to pay for Euro rights? Would you pay? Or would you prefer True recoup its investment with extra advertising?

So GMM paid 400 million for the rights

and want money from TRUE

Lets say they want 100 million from TRUE so TRUE can show the matches

So TRUE Is saying "stuff you" and will be forced to pay 20 000 per day fine

24 days for the EURO to run its course

at 20 000 fine per day

That total 480 000 in fines

Why would TRUE pay up to GMM ... it is cheaper to just pay the fines

and be done with it.

It is not like TRUE have shown they care about their customers

Me I got the GMM box and it is brilliant so far

Installed easy

Call GMM - spoke in English with a lovely Thai girl

She got me sorted, have free channels for 1 month

If I want to continue after that is is 450 a month

The is a hell of a lot cheaper than the 1500 I am paying TRUE

Grammy has my lovely ASN channel ...

If they show my NFL --- it is adios TRUE

Putting aside the entire debate over whether this is "Bad TrueVisions" or "Bad Grammy", I just think it's hilarious that the NBTC, established by the 1997 Constitution but not actually appointed until 2010 and after having done approximately nothing since then except botch the 3G license auction, has now decided that it is time for action. The broadcasting and telecommunications landscape in Thailand is littered with monopolies, concessions, self-serving license agreements and almost total ambiguity around what is and is not permitted with or without this license or that one. The NBTC has made zero progress towards creating a fair and level, competitive playing field for telecoms, yet turn the football off for 2 days and they are all awoken from their slumber and rushing through poorly conceived rulings to protect "the consumer."

• Like 1

they did it to NFL fans last October with no notice

For goodness sake, True can't show everything or their fees would be astronomical! Grammy paid a fortune for ASN and True, rightly or wrongly, judged there not to be a big enough market for NFL/NHL to justify paying such a high price. That's capitalism for you.

"TrueVisions today announced service upgrade to all subscribers, during June 10-July 11. Those with Platinum package will be entitled to the 9-channel A La Carte package, the Gold Package will have access to the Platinum Package, and those with other packages can access True Sports channels."

ALLRIGHT! Now I can get StarWorld channel for free! I'm watching "Cougar Town" right now and "New Girl" later tonight!

TrueVisions ROCKS!!!

I agree! I'm delighted to finally get BBC Lifestyle and all the fabulous cooking programmes, plus TCM and MGM. All's well that ends well!

ridiculous fine: 20,000 THB/day. It should be at least the tenfold! No one inn TRUE will bother about that peanut-fine! Subscribers will continue to be held hostage. Another proposal is to cancel all rights to TRUE with immediate effect. See what will happen then? TRUE has always been a true problem!

Maybe for you. While I'd like to see the Euros, I don't want to enough to buy a Grammy box. But I don't see a problem with what True are providing.

I signed up for the Platinum package, especially to get Grid Iron US Football, right after I signed up they canceled US Football. Have them bring back Grid Iron to their imprisoned subscribersbeatdeadhorse.gif Are there any other satellite TV resources one can subscribe to, then I might scrape True Visions for good.whistling.gif

You can get ASN with NFL on Grammy. IF you want it you have to buy it!!

I can't really see the beef here. In the UK if you want to watch something on Sky but don't have their dish, either sign up or don't watch it.

Grammy bought the rights, sign up with Grammy. Simples.

Luckily here there are local cable operators all over the country who all carry Thai TV channels.

Sure, English commentary would be nice but hey, it's FREE!

Those without cable, if you can afford True Visions then you can afford a standard TV antenna to watch it all..!!

Quite right. It's really not an issue!

The unscrupulous way True Vision has treated its subscribers for years is one of the major reason why I moved out of Thailand to a neighbouring country. Now I get to watch HD channels and sports broadcast in English for free with the platinum equivalent package for just THB980 a month instead of THB1800 a month.

Are you serious? The perceived quality of satellite TV determines where you live???? Unbelievable!!

How does the GMM box work, do you just hook it up to your True dish or what?

I tried getting free TV with a regular antenna but the signal was rubbish...unwatchable (i guess you probably need a huge antenna on the roof to get a decent signal?).