Bangkok's 'Acid' Attacker Arrested And Charged

webfact

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...wanted to take a revenge on those who looked down on him for parking his vehicle in others' way and extorting foreigners.

he was angry that he couldn't cheat money from foreigners and block traffic without anyone bothering him? !!!

is this man demented?? i guess so!!

either he has half a brain... or he is one massive arrogant person who thinks everyone should bow down to him so he can peacefully disrupt other peoples lives!! (probably he is both!)

This story reeks of a fit up. I've had bleach and bathroom cleaner on my skin many times and never had these kinds of issues. In Hong Kong where this is a very worrying affair indeed with litre bottles being thrown into busy streets from high buildings, the chemical they use leaves the same marks and over there is it drain cleaner or something similar. Not run of the mill toilet cleaner. Tourist hit with acid attacks, goes public, Bangkok's finest arrest someone.Yeah right. A phantom man spraying people as they walk past with something they do not really realise is nasty until a few moments later.

Don't believe a word of this. They have pulled this guy in, made him confess, and case closed. Until the next one. Which will be a different guy of course. Who they will catch in record time. What a load of bull.

Obviously a legal expert????

My bus from Theran, Iran to Ezarum Turkey stopped at the Border crossing Village for the usual shopping spree. As I walked around, some boisterous Iranian boys threw some liquid on me. At first I thought it was water, but I soon found out it was battery acid. I washed it off, but it put some holes in my expensive down hiking jacket. Fortunately my eyeglasses deflected the acid from going into my eyes. Muslims were freindly even in those days.

This story reeks of a fit up. I've had bleach and bathroom cleaner on my skin many times and never had these kinds of issues.

Because you've cleaned it off. The reports were from people that were sprayed then claimed of skin irritation after a few hours. We're not talking about faces melting here just itchy skin.

Don't believe a word of this. They have pulled this guy in, made him confess, and case closed. Until the next one. Which will be a different guy of course. Who they will catch in record time. What a load of bull.

Yes, yes... regardless of all the evidence and a lack of government motive to bother doing all this you've broken through the conspiracy, congratulations.. rolleyes.gif

Why are there so many conspiracy theorists on TV.com? And how do they explain how this guy was "fitted up" when several victims, both farang and Thai have positively identified him?

• Like 1

"His victims recognised Rachan’s tricycle, which had two large headlights."

Ha ha ha.....

Were they talking about his girlfriend or his motorcycle....cheesy.gifgiggle.gif large headlights...have to love emwub.png

This story reeks of a fit up. I've had bleach and bathroom cleaner on my skin many times and never had these kinds of issues. In Hong Kong where this is a very worrying affair indeed with litre bottles being thrown into busy streets from high buildings, the chemical they use leaves the same marks and over there is it drain cleaner or something similar. Not run of the mill toilet cleaner. Tourist hit with acid attacks, goes public, Bangkok's finest arrest someone.Yeah right. A phantom man spraying people as they walk past with something they do not really realise is nasty until a few moments later.

Not much of a "conspiracy theorist"myself but on this occasion I must agree with above certainly in part. Just seems rather far fetched that this guy has done ALL the chemical spraying around Bangkok, toilet cleaners are mainly caustic

( Sodium Hydroxide or Sodium Hydrochloride ) based and diluted to about 80 plus % so most and I say most people sprayed with a small amount would have little if any reaction, it seems at least to me there is another person spraying people with more than just toilet duck...time will tell

If that is the case I guess the victoms who identified him as the one who got them must be in on it too. Must be a real big fix there I guess.

This story reeks of a fit up. I've had bleach and bathroom cleaner on my skin many times and never had these kinds of issues.

Because you've cleaned it off. The reports were from people that were sprayed then claimed of skin irritation after a few hours. We're not talking about faces melting here just itchy skin.

Yes, yes... regardless of all the evidence and a lack of government motive to bother doing all this you've broken through the conspiracy, congratulations.. rolleyes.gif

Why are there so many conspiracy theorists on TV.com? And how do they explain how this guy was "fitted up" when several victims, both farang and Thai have positively identified him?

Absolutely right. Some people watch too many movies and become obsessed and can't distinguish the reality from the fiction anymore. I feel sorry for these guys as it looks like they really have nothing to do but whine, blame et cetera. Living in that kind of restlessness must be hard.

I don't know how many more witnesses should positively identify this guy....

In a related development, Pol Maj-Gen Kamronwit said that the chemical substance used for the attacks was identified as concentrated liquid drain cleaner, which caused the victim suffering from chemical burns. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-06-11

If, indeed it was concentrated drain cleaner then it would be sodium hydroxide and that is far more corrosive and therefore dangerous than plain old bathroom cleaner.

The other paper says he was arrested with Duck brand toilet cleaner in his pocket.

Or maybe he was just pleased to see them.

Whichever, something about this story just doesn't add up to this one chap being the culprit for all these alleged attacks, if any of them.

Edited by Thaddeus

Yes, of course!

And the victims that identified the man are on it too!

sigh...

I am not a pathologist, but this does not look like a wound from a household chemical:

http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne%2BNews/Asia/Story/A1Story20120609-351530.html

I am not a pathologist, but this does not look like a wound from a household chemical:

http://www.asiaone.c...609-351530.html

20120609.151321_acidburn.jpg

Exactly the pic I was referring to. So then, all of us without maids and cleaners all of our lives will now put up lots of pics of our disfiguring scars where we have splash household bleach and cleaning products on ourselves. Come on... waiting for it... come on, all the bead toting Nehru jacket wearing fluffies must have reams of pictures of their scars from having gota splash or two from cleaning their squat type toilets they insist upon (to be uber thai).

Where is the conspiracy? I am sure there could have been a bin man on drugs, spraying toilet cleaner around... and no doubt people identified that guy. But the questions is what is the links to a series of the attacks with industrial drain cleaner fluid or highly concentrated acid?

Edited by Morakot

I am sure I read that the suspects they were looking for

were 2 men on a motor bike?

regards Worgeordie

I keep telling people it was a short fat well shaven bald man with thining hair, about 6' tall.

It's obvious they got a copy-cat cereal patsy

Thailand is not the only country with wackos.

actually for a country the size of thailand, it has a relatively small amount of wackos..as in crazy acid attackers or serial killers and that kind of thing.

unless they're just very very good at it!

I am sure I read that the suspects they were looking for were 2 men on a motor bike?

regards Worgeordie

Yeah, but "scavenger" sounds so much better in print. rolleyes.gif

At least the poor, mad bastard was earning his own living. In oz you no longer see the word "bludger" in print, instead we have "long-term unemployment benefit recipient" even if he/she has never worked a day in his/her life.

actually for a country the size of thailand, it has a relatively small amount of wackos..as in crazy acid attackers or serial killers and that kind of thing.

It appears that, in 2009, 13% of the Thai population aged > 15 years had below average mental-health scores. That would be roughly 8.5 million people, or 1 in 7.7 people. Don't know how this compares internationally. It may depend on your clinical definition of who are "wackos" and who are not.

http://en.thaihealth.or.th/system/files/ENG_0_1.pdf

It appears that, in 2009, 13% of the Thai population aged > 15 years had below average mental-health scores. That would be roughly 8.5 million people, or 1 in 7.7 people. Don't know how this compares internationally. It may depend on your clinical definition of who are "wackos" and who are not.

http://en.thaihealth...les/ENG_0_1.pdf

well serial killers and acid attackers clearly aren't anyone's clinical definition of 'what makes a wacko' (y'know, that famous publication i'm sure we're all aware of) but they were the type of wackos i was referring to... and of course, it was in relation to the topic of this thread.

on a serious note, i certainly wouldn't consider people who get below average mental-health scores as 'wackos'.

The following passages are excerpted from Winning Against the Wackos in Your Life:

On Wackos in general…

“Wackos come in all packages and strengths. They may have emerged from backgrounds of affluence or poverty—as an only child or as part of a large brood. In any case, Wackos seem to feel better only after they’ve succeeded in making someone else feel worse. There is much Wacko behavior to be wary of—some of it highly destructive and some of it just plain inconsiderate.”

On reacting to Wackos…

“Wackos will do anything to uphold a pristine image; they will use their verbal skills to attack; they cannot easily show affection; and they are primarily antisocial. How you choose to relate, if at all, to a Wacko is entirely up to you. Most of this behavior is not devastating if you are prepared for it and you know how to react or how not to react to it. That is the key. You should never take this behavior personally. Remember: it’s not about you.”

The very popular and widely available Draga brand (pink bottle) of 'toilet/bathroom' cleaner contains hydrochloric acid, or gok glua, as it's known to the locals. Try getting some of that on your skin.

The very popular and widely available Draga brand (pink bottle) of 'toilet/bathroom' cleaner contains hydrochloric acid, or gok glua, as it's known to the locals. Try getting some of that on your skin.

(as a quick aside; would not want that in my house; one splash of bleach on it and you have chlorine gas)

Anyway, on the basis that Skin is acidic (between 4-6 pH) it needs to be a very strong acid pH to have a marked effect. Lemons / limes have a pH between 1.8 and 2.8 and although not pleasant, you can sit your hand in a bowl of lime juice for quite a while before your hand will turn a bit white and might itch a bit. Hydrachloric acid in strong dilute will have a pH of 1. Dilute it to 10% and it shifts up to 1.5 kind of mark. Not nice, but still not nasty enough to cause those injuries unless you presume some kind of stilling reaction happened as the product lay in the sun and increased it's dilute to 20%?

Because the skin is acidic, those kinds of violent reactions more often than not come from Alkalines. Sure, pH 1 battery acid etc would do it, but a caustic soda / drain cleaner is a lot more likely. Doubtful that they came from a almost empty bottle of Drago. Besides, who actually throws away a half bottle of cleaning solution like Drago? Most people finish it then toss it.