Roofing Materials Looking For Others Opinions

Dakling

Planning a new build and I am looking to keep the weight and thermal mass of the roof down. The land is in an area that receives persistent breezes off the ocean yet we are far enough away (almost 1 km) that I am not overly concerned about increased corrosion. Personally I favour a light coloured colourbond roof but the Mrs doesn't like the look of a steel roof. The new asbestos-free fiber panels http://www.mahaphant.com/en/our-products/product-hahaung-overview.jsp?prdid=55 for roofing are also an option but neither of us have seen one that we like the look of. We may look to sell this house in 5 or 6 years so appearances do mater for resale.

One product that I think might be suitable to both of us aesthetically and technically, is the mahaphant Zedar Shake roof, http://www.mahaphant.com/en/our-products/product-hahaung-overview.jsp?prdid=64 . From looking at the specs it should weigh about 1/3 of a tile roof and has a much lower themal mass. The only problem is, I have never actually seen them on a house. Does anyone have any experience with the Zedar Shake product? Does any one know of a build that has used them?

Other ideas and opinions are welcome.

I hope you get some good responses to this. I was just about to start a thread on the lightweight shingles from Maphant. My questions would also include the problems of rain in strong winds blowing up under the shingles and leaking down.

They do look so nice in the photos, don't they?

I have seen several roofs clad with Deccra tiles. This is a galvanised pressed steel tile covered in a fine crushed stone material. To the untrained eye looks very much like a concrete tile but it is very light. I have used these tiles in England on various projects and have been quite pleased with the results.

Regards

Paul S Webb

Dir Webb Roofing Limited

What ever you choose, make sure that the material is hail proof. Trilon Cool Series is NOT! We used that on our house and with 20% of the roof on two years ago, we got hit with a hail storm. No old-timers up here in the northern part, ever remembers seeing such a thing! We had to change out 7 pieces...thank goodness the entire roof had not been put on yet. Then again, this year, about January or so...another hail storm hit. This one missed us, but did lots of damage to others near where we live. If you don't believe we're in a changing climate...you will. The next damaging hail storm we get, I intend to change out the whole ram doof with C-Pac roofing tiles. Good luck. ett

Oh, I forgot to mention....

With C-pac, your attic will be virtually bird proof. Those Trilon and other ruffly roofing tiles, if not put on precisely...something that is impossible to get done in Thailand...you will have points of entry for frikken birds that will build nests inside and have most of the chicks fall, die and rot (read stink here....) in your attic. I am going through this crap right now! Oh how I wished I had never heard of Trilon roofing...oh well. Again, good luck...ett

Ooooo, that light gray 'Prestige' is nice. How dear is that compared to the Monier?

Never mind the cost think of the satisfying looks, long life and pretty much a maintenance free roof.biggrin.png

Edited by Kwasaki

I have seen several roofs clad with Deccra tiles. This is a galvanised pressed steel tile covered in a fine crushed stone material. To the untrained eye looks very much like a concrete tile but it is very light. I have used these tiles in England on various projects and have been quite pleased with the results.

Regards

Paul S Webb

Dir Webb Roofing Limited

You have seen in Thailand ?

Regards

Paul S Webb

Dir Webb Roofing Limited

You have seen in Thailand ?

http://www.bluescopesteelasia.com/BlueScopeSteel/country/thailand/lysaght/en/products.cfm?ID=a09fb69c-a428-4aa2-a049-f5ff7eb0572b&GID=6a058899-ed7c-4db1-afd2-a98b047c977a&nID=E9679E99-4C2E-4D10-988E-70613B9E27A3&showall=1&KEY=Decra

Ooooo, that light gray 'Prestige' is nice. How dear is that compared to the Monier?

Never mind the cost think of the satisfying looks, long life and pretty much a maintenance free roof.biggrin.png

Sounds like a peddler talking. dry.png

Funny thing to say I was talking in general of all tiled roofs of which there are many types and styles concrete, slate and clay which are better than corrugated, profile steel products & fibre cement, old saying you only get what you pay for. whistling.gif

Funny thing to say I was talking in general of all tiled roofs of which there are many types and styles concrete, slate and clay which are better than corrugated, profile steel products & fibre cement, old saying you only get what you pay for. whistling.gif

The 'peddler' comment was a result of reading these typical marketing points

1- never mind the cost

2 - satisfying looks

3 - you only get what you pay for

#3 seems to assume that you actually do get what you pay for.

I'll leave it up to others to debate and summarize the cost/benefit ratios of "concrete, slate and clay vs. corrugated, profile steel products & fibre cement".

Edited by klikster

The 'peddler' comment was a result of reading these typical marketing points

1- never mind the cost

2 - satisfying looks

3 - you only get what you pay for

#3 seems to assume that you actually do get what you pay for.

I'll leave it up to others to debate and summarize the cost/benefit ratios of "concrete, slate and clay vs. corrugated, profile steel products & fibre cement".

No assumptions the price is the RRP if you can get it discounted fine.

For sure people buy what they like the look of !! What it's being used for, the budget of the project and a cost that suits them.

Nothing to debate Facts are Facts.smile.png

Edited by Kwasaki

I used some imported shingle roof system from Canada and so far after 9 years no problems and if the business we bought it from is still around, it's still under warranty. If it's not, that's what home owners insurance is for. System consists of putting down some sort of particle or ply wood, black waterproofing materials, then the shingles. Not the cheapest option, but it looks good and I notice that here in Phuket more of the nicer houses are also using the same type of roofing system.

I used some imported shingle roof system from Canada and so far after 9 years no problems and if the business we bought it from is still around, it's still under warranty. If it's not, that's what home owners insurance is for. System consists of putting down some sort of particle or ply wood, black waterproofing materials, then the shingles. Not the cheapest option, but it looks good and I notice that here in Phuket more of the nicer houses are also using the same type of roofing system.

I would be too worried about termites to use a wooden under laid roof but perhaps it was treated or maybe it isn't real wood. After doing some more detailed costing I am thinking that we will likely go with the prestige tiles as the other options are all more costly even when lighter steel and structure are considered. I think the light grey ones wont be to bad if we use the fiber sandwiched by foil insulation under them. I really wish I could get the wife to buy into the steel roof though, seems to be the best material from an engineering standpoint.

Oh, I forgot to mention....

With C-pac, your attic will be virtually bird proof. Those Trilon and other ruffly roofing tiles, if not put on precisely...something that is impossible to get done in Thailand...you will have points of entry for frikken birds that will build nests inside and have most of the chicks fall, die and rot (read stink here....) in your attic. I am going through this crap right now! Oh how I wished I had never heard of Trilon roofing...oh well. Again, good luck...ett

Are they getting in under the actual tiles or at the eaves?..We put in those flat strips of contoured plastic ( stapled in place) behind the soffit..seems to keep the birds out and maybe rats but not the bloody geckos...hear 'em jumping about most nights....lol

Least there ain't racoons in LOS they ARE a pain.....chew their way in and chew you if ya try to get 'em out ..lol

I had Zincalum roofing in FN Queensland ..think it was cyclone rated...looks nice but cuts your wrists to hell when cleaning the gutters!! Would have used it here but thought it might be a lightning magnet. Got good old concrete now seems okay don't spend too much time looking at it so aesthetics not an issue.

why not use the real thing instead of an imitation product 'Zedar'? We used Cedar shake wood roof for a large project, installed 5-6 years already trouble free. We got 30 yrs guarantee from the supplier against rot and termites etc. Its not the cheapest roofing material but not overly expensive. Looks nice, lightweight, good insulator, not susceptible to wind or hail damage, etc. You will see it on many upscale resort projects around Phuket and Samui.

why not use the real thing instead of an imitation product 'Zedar'? We used Cedar shake wood roof for a large project, installed 5-6 years already trouble free. We got 30 yrs guarantee from the supplier against rot and termites etc. Its not the cheapest roofing material but not overly expensive. Looks nice, lightweight, good insulator, not susceptible to wind or hail damage, etc. You will see it on many upscale resort projects around Phuket and Samui.

Any idea on baht/sq meter for real cedar roof?

imo ...bluescope colorbond is the way to go ..put it up and forget about it ...insulate underneath the sheets .. i have used many other products ..the quality of cement tiles in Thailand is inferior for the climate ....

imo ...bluescope colorbond is the way to go ..put it up and forget about it ...insulate underneath the sheets .. i have used many other products ..the quality of cement tiles in Thailand is inferior for the climate ....

dakling is not the only one with a wife that really does not want a steel roof. I guess it reminds them too much of living in a shack with a low roof of corrugated steel.

Any idea on baht/sq meter for real cedar roof?

can try here for more info

www.haidabuild.com

I agree totally, but how do you insulate under the sheets - or do you mean the usual fibre glass on to of the ceiling

I agree totally, but how do you insulate under the sheets - or do you mean the usual fibre glass on to of the ceiling

( 'cdmtdm' ) " the quality of cement tiles in Thailand is inferior for the climate ...."

Interesting comment and where did you get that little gem of information from. ???

( 'Theboy' )

Single skin applications put fibre-glass over the ceilings but make sure you have an air-flow through the roof.

There are many ways to put fibre-glass under roofing if you wish it just needs support, one example is a ' mesh '. smile.png

Edited by Kwasaki

• 3 months later...