"Thai Only" Sign Seen At Mbk

upinthesky

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I really wouldnt raise an eyebrow at this apart from in amusement.

As a lad in Thailand, I would find it very annoying being confronted by the two tier price structure, but the positives outweigh the negatives in Thailand and usually when confronted by the smiling faces, this usually dissipates my wroth.

I just put it down to the mystique of living in foreign lands.

However..... I wonder where my hâa sìp hâa sìp lads come into the equation when confronted with these signs biggrin.png

Edited by edwinclapham

If the sign is there just because of a language barrier, it would be better phrased, "Only Thai speaking customers"

Anything else makes you go hmmm

But if the sign is there because of a language barrier, then you can hardly expect a perfectly frased sign in English wink.png

Sophon

If the sign is there just because of a language barrier, it would be better phrased, "Only Thai speaking customers"

Anything else makes you go hmmm

But if the sign is there because of a language barrier, then you can hardly expect a perfectly frased sign in English wink.png

Sophon

Not a perfectly phrased sign, just one that said what it meant, even if it did so in imperfect English..

I wonder if you would find a " No blacks allowed" sign equally amusing?

Luckily the "no blacks" "no Irish" was before my time in London.. and let me say that being married to a Thai does come with the odd discrimination overseas from time to time. We both let it go.. why sweat the small stuff... people that act this way are showing their ignorance.

Hence my initial comment, I raise an eyebrow in amusement!

Cant see the problem with this, private shop owners are allowed to set their own right of admission rules, seen signs which say "No Thai's" and one that says "no Russians"

and both these signs are posted on TV...get over it

Except for the small fact it is against the Thai Constitution. I guess the term 'unjust' could be a loophole.

Section 30. All persons are equal before the law and shall enjoy equal protection under the law.

Men and women shall enjoy equal rights.

Unjust discrimination against a person on the grounds of the difference in origin, race, language, sex, age, disability, physical or health condition, personal status, economic or social standing, religious belief, education or constitutionally political view, shall not be permitted.

Luckily the "no blacks" "no Irish" was before my time in London.. and let me say that being married to a Thai does come with the odd discrimination overseas from time to time. We both let it go.. why sweat the small stuff... people that act this way are showing their ignorance.

It is the mind set , not the individual sign that is the big problem

The individual sign can be viewed as " amusing" and the individual that post it as " amusingly ignorant". and you can go to the store next door and do your business.

The problem arises when other see the sign and assume that it is excepted behavior, since it is tolerated with amusement

,and also start posting similar signs., and then there is no next door place for you to do your business.

It is the mind set , not the individual sign that is the big problem

The individual sign can be viewed as " amusing" and the individual that post it as " amusingly ignorant". and you can go to the store next door and do your business.

The problem arises when other see the sign and assume that it is excepted behavior, since it is tolerated with amusement

,and also start posting similar signs., and then there is no next door place for you to do your business.

whistling.gifcoffee1.gif meanwhile.....biggrin.png

All it means is that the staff don't know any foreign languages. Nice of them to tell us (and saves them embarrassment).

Then they should put a sign saying "we only speak Thai"

How many handwritten English signs have you seen it Thailand that were worded correctly? Don't be so paranoid.

Well it seems once again the 'bend over and take it we are guests in this country blah blah' or the simply 'I can see no problem with it' (so why bother posting then?) brigade have been in the majority here. The excuse that 'Well, maybe the poor darlings can't speak English and we don't want to embarrass them' line is utter codswallop. Most Thais find it difficult to string a sentence in English (or would you prefer I refer to it as 'passa farang'), so that's that one out the window.

Has anyone bothered to ask this shop owner why he/she is not welcoming any other custom other than Thai?

Go and get your soapbox and placard and protest outside the shop that farangs are being discriminated against, the poor darlings, and while your at it go and ask the shop owner why and report back....thumbsup.gif

Maybe someone should have done that sooner in SouthAfrica too./

Hyperbole of the day award...

• Like 1

Section 30. All persons are equal before the law and shall enjoy equal protection under the law.

Men and women shall enjoy equal rights.

Unjust discrimination against a person on the grounds of the difference in origin, race, language, sex, age, disability, physical or health condition, personal status, economic or social standing, religious belief, education or constitutionally political view, shall not be permitted.

Would foreigners be covered under the constitution?

I'm thinking not, because every bit of dual pricing in this country, including places like national parks, would be illegal.

I make no comment about the moralistic rights or wrongs of this sign.

post-104736-0-38882900-1339505451_thumb.

The facts are that is in located on what appears to be a Thai Shop,

located in a laneway between Sukhumvit Soi 5 and 7.

My sister (for whom I took the photo, because she did not have her

camera with her was aghast ... and was also worried that we would

be in trouble for taking a photo of the sign).

I can't begin to imagine the bedlam that it would create for the Author

in any of our home countries.

As a moderation point ... please delete the post if it contravenes TVF rules.

EDIT:- Before the jokes come flowing in ... I am sure the words meant were closer to 'served', rather then 'serviced'. They did correct the 'man' to 'men' though ... rolleyes.gif

Edited by David48

and then here is tutsi approaching the chemist's counter in Ha Tinh in Vietnam at the local market and then the attendants learn English very quickly with saucer eyes in terror and waving arms frantically: 'No! No! No!...'

and then I shrug and head back to the transportation for us to get some Bia Hanoi for the 1 hour ride back to the accommodation...what's a whiteman to do?

and then, on the way we stop at the local shop in Ky Anh to buy a weeks supply of vodka and the shop keeper who is a very pleasant middle aged woman with nice cleavage then rings it up nicely...and then she notices when tutsi admires her equipment and then shakes it about suggestively...

and then there is frustration as consistency with purchases is important and the concept is obviously lost with various rural vietnamese shopkeepers...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

All it means is that the staff don't know any foreign languages. Nice of them to tell us (and saves them embarrassment).

Then they should put a sign saying "we only speak Thai"

How many handwritten English signs have you seen it Thailand that were worded correctly? Don't be so paranoid.

T o suggest that the sign is a misprint, do to " the language barrier"and that it means that they don't speak English and because of it they only want Thais to enter,is by any stretch of the imagination ........ well i don't want to be rude, so insert your own word here.

This is a store that does business in MBK, and as it has being said by some it deals in merchandise that is desirable by also, non Thais.and is in a location that is frequented by foreigners .

Any one that has the expertise and resources, to open a store in MBK, should certainly have the skills to write a simple sign, or to supervise the employees who write the signs.

Hotels in Bangkok refuse blacks and Indians.

The above was a thread/topic some time ago on TV.

I can't post the link as I cannot copy and paste on my phone.

May be someone else can

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

If that is correct then that would also be wrong, illegal under the Thai constitution, and not a desirable practice in a country where tourism is a large part of The GDP.

So what?

Indians refuse Israelis. Israelis refuse Arabs. Japanese refuse all of them.

I have seen it everywhere, and there is nothing wrong about it: if you have bad experiences with a certain clientele, you just refuse business with them.

And please stop the nonsense about "it's against the law". Under the law, everybody is equal. But this applies to state institutions.

Private businesses are free to discriminate. Girls are free to discriminate against fat men. Men are free to discriminate against fat girs. This is the situation in a FREE country.

Unlike your semi-communist PC home-country, where everything is regulated.

• Like 1

The above was a thread/topic some time ago on TV.

I can't post the link as I cannot copy and paste on my phone.

May be someone else can

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

If that is correct then that would also be wrong, illegal under the Thai constitution, and not a desirable practice in a country where tourism is a large part of The GDP.

Many bars refuse to serve Indians. One go-go bar barred them. A group would sit around with one drink between them at the go-go bar. Same at some of the other bars. So they are refused service. The bars want customers who spend money.

Any one that has the expertise and resources, to open a store in MBK, should certainly have the skills to write a simple sign, or to supervise the employees who write the signs.

It seems that you have not lived in Thailand for very long.

Edited by Ulysses G.