Diagnosed With Sleep Apnea -Anyone Else?

Deaw

It is easier and cheaper to have the sleep test in Thailand, but the machine will be much more expensive than the US and not nearly as much choice. They have very small models for traveling which might be what you need - depending on your new job.

I would not just buy one if I were you as you might just end up throwing away your money. You need to do the sleep test and try one out for a few weeks before making a decision.

Personally, I was shocked that after the very first time I tried it for a night, I stopped falling asleep all the time and could have a normal day. For several years, I had been sleeping most of the time, but never felt rested. Maybe that is why I was willing to put up with wearing the thing, but now it is no problem at all.

It is easier and cheaper to have the sleep test in Thailand, but the machine will be much more expensive than the US and not nearly as much choice. They have very small models for traveling which might be what you need - depending on your new job.

I would not just buy one if I were you as you might just end up throwing away your money. You need to do the sleep test and try one out for a few weeks before making a decision.

Personally, I was shocked that after the very first time I tried it for a night, I stopped falling asleep all the time and could have a normal day. For several years, I had been sleeping most of the time, but never felt rested. Maybe that is why I was willing to put up with wearing the thing, but now it is no problem at all.

thanks for that UG; sounds like just what I need to get thru the day without crashing out...I'll be down in BKK to see the dentist before I mobilize and maybe I can see a sleep doctor then...any doctor recommendations? (Sheryl?) How long does the doctor's assessment take?

I can probably buy the apparatus in saudi as they have everything there...or maybe mail order as they have a good postal service and no import duty...

I have sleep apnea and tested about 60. Tried UPPP surgery and it stopped my snoring but didn't help the sleep apnea much. Now I am on the RES Med S-9 CPAP (APAP) machine http://www.resmed.co...html?nc=dealers and use the nasal "pillows" with a chin strap to keep my mouth closed otherwise the air just goes out my mouth instead of into my lungs. I don't like it but am learning to live with it. I sleep on my back to get the best fit. Daily cleaning is a hassle. However, my apnea has gone down to 5 from 60 when using the machine. The machine records sleep apnea events and on a memory card which I periodically send in to doctor's office to generate computerized reports. I still only get 5-6 hours of sleep on the machine and a few in a chair usually in front of the computer.

Edited by ronz28

I'm a 57 year old living in Koh Chang, probably 15 kgs overweight (hospital says 20 kgs, but hey...), have snored very loudly most of my life, also wake up about 3 or 4 times a night to pee, and have wanted to do something about it for ages. Bangkok Pattaya Hospital offered some family medial examinations recently, so my wife and I went for those, and I tagged on a sleep test at THB 14,000 (plus for the doctor and a few bits and bobs, so about 18,800 in total).

I was amazed!

It is a bit scary being plugged up with wires, told to sleep, and then being woken to put on the claustrophobic mask. But I'm SO glad that I did. I clearly went to the same doctor as OP and others in this thread, found her very knowledgeable and had the utmost confidence in her diagnosis and recommendations. I have severe sleep apnea and was recommended an automatic CPAP machine, duly set by the doctor with 2 different settings; a high pressure when sleeping on my back, and lower pressure for the other body positions. My reading was being woken up 256 times, with an index rating of 40.

The machine in the hospital left my throat and mouth very dry, but the loan F&P Icon machine used by the others had a humidifier which solved that problem. I managed to take the mask easily, and slept SO WELL. Perhaps because like UG, I could feel the benefits immediately. I used the machine for only a few days, but found that I slept the best I have in years and years and felt a different person in fact.

The only problem now is to find a reasonably priced machine in Thailand. Like the other posts, the F&P agent for Thailand gave me an absurd price of some 68,000 baht. No ways! As others have said, they are available for way less internationally on the internet. So I'll keep looking.

But in the meantime since I returned the loan machine, I'm back to having terrible sleep. I can really feel the difference without the CPAP and can't wait to get my own machine and sleep plugged up again. So I'd also encourage OP to hang in there and find the right machine and mask.

• 1 month later...

The only problem now is to find a reasonably priced machine in Thailand. Like the other posts, the F&P agent for Thailand gave me an absurd price of some 68,000 baht. No ways! As others have said, they are available for way less internationally on the internet. So I'll keep looking.

That is about what I paid for the deluxe German model and I'm glad that I did. It is much more comfortable than the cheaper ones that I tried.

Of course, if I could have figured how to get the same thing cheaper, I would have gone for it, but they have also checked it for malfunctions and deep cleaned it for free the last few years, which should make it last longer.

I was very concerned about ordering from overseas as I'm not sure that you could find anyone to fix it if, it was not from a company based in Thailand.

Edited by Ulysses G.