Thai Police Entrance Exam Cancelled Over Cheating Scandal

webfact

Sister in law took the Police exam in bkk two years ago. was openly told the pass mark was 400k, she did not pay and failed. Same with teaching exam, that was 200k a few years ago.

My nephew has been trying to get in for years,hes got a degree and has passed all the entrance exams,only to be told there is no place for him,the reason why is he does not have the money to pay his way in,he comes from a poor family,but has done well academicly,the bad part of it is he is a good guy and wants to join the police to serve society and not line his pockets,not to many like that around.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume all police positions have been purchased and will continue to be. Why is a position that pays 8000b so coveted? Because it's 8000b plus, plus plus. I wonder if exam scores are even a factor in hiring. Are all cops, politicians and officials in Thailand bent? I haven't seen any reason to think not. TIT

And this is exactly why they don't get the respect that real police should get. They are not real police. They just had enough money to buy their way onto the force.

For those that continually slag the Thai's , you should not be here '''''' you all obviously have nothing nice to say about any one.

When you speak , you only voice an opinion and we all know an opinion is like your rear end , we all have one.

I'm an Ozy living here like many other's I respect the police and all those that try to make this country a better place for all. Stop being so negative in your posts 'bad news can travel half round the world before we can get our pants on , your negativity will do nothing but give some people a misguided opinion of this wonderful county and make you look like an uneducated dick.

cheesy.gif Hilarious first post ! Welcome to TV.

I personally respect the police too, but only because they wear guns, and are happy to use them even when pissed. ermm.gif

• Like 2

For those that continually slag the Thai's , you should not be here '''''' you all obviously have nothing nice to say about any one.

When you speak , you only voice an opinion and we all know an opinion is like your rear end , we all have one.

I'm an Ozy living here like many other's I respect the police and all those that try to make this country a better place for all. Stop being so negative in your posts 'bad news can travel half round the world before we can get our pants on , your negativity will do nothing but give some people a misguided opinion of this wonderful county and make you look like an uneducated dick.

Oh, to be young and naive again. The best of all possible worlds, sweet smiles on everyone's fizzogs in the LOS. Thanks for that, BS. Indeed, you did "make my day". wai.gif

• Like 1

I would love to get a copy of this exam. If its anything like the education testing levels, questions will be at a level such as:

What are a policeman's main duties?

a) To protect the people

B) get rich through extortion

c) lie and cheat

uur, dont know , can I phone a friend?

Sister in law took the Police exam in bkk two years ago. was openly told the pass mark was 400k, she did not pay and failed. Same with teaching exam, that was 200k a few years ago.

My nephew has been trying to get in for years,hes got a degree and has passed all the entrance exams,only to be told there is no place for him,the reason why is he does not have the money to pay his way in,he comes from a poor family,but has done well academicly,the bad part of it is he is a good guy and wants to join the police to serve society and not line his pockets,not to many like that around.

When I first worked in Sales my manager wanted me to get into debt....paying the debt being an incentive to work.

Maybe my ex manager now works for the Thai police. 400k entry fee creates an incentive to be creative, and lots gets passed back up the line............

This is crazy, as an English teacher here I know just how common place this is. It's excepted that students will help each other during a test in class. I have even seen teachers giving answers to students during exams. So why get so excited when they do this later in life. blink.pngblink.png

You are obviously a very experienced local expat resident with an overwhelming sense of fair play. May I enquire what medication you are on and whether it is freely available over the counter?

I have lived here for 15 years and have seen nothing but lying, cheating and rampant corruption. I am obviously in need of the medication.

• Like 1

I'll bet they're parents are real proud of them now with the towels over they're heads in the Bangkok Post pictures...gives "losing face" a whole new meaninghit-the-fan.gifcoffee1.gif

They have another exciting topic also running about U tapao, if only they added another option such as " I like somtam" in the answers Im sure they would have a clear winner

Quick Poll

The US military wants to set up a disaster relief centre at U-Tapao Airport, so it won’t have to set up and dismantle future operations in the area. Should Thailand allow this?

• Yes
  • No
  • I'm not familiar with the issue
  • I LIKE SOMTAM

• Like 1

Just in case you were being serious:

]Police corruption[/b]

Various sources state that police are "corrupt" in Thailand (Thai News Service 28 Sept. 2009; Bangkok Post 15 Oct. 2009; HRW 14 Dec. 2009; US 25 Feb. 2009, Sec. 1d; Professor 11 Dec. 2009; Freedom House 2009). Research undertaken by the National Institute of Development Administration and supported by the Thailand's National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) reportedly found that police "abuse their power" by taking bribes from illegal businesses, violating police ethics, engaging in extrajudicial killings, torture and forced confessions as well as being involved in drug dealing and accepting goods and services in return for police services (Thai News Service 28 Sept. 2009). Similarly, the deputy Asia director at Human Rights Watch (HRW) states that the Thai police have "sweeping powers," use "violence and illegality to fight crimes" and have engaged in "horrendous misconduct" for which they have "rarely" been punished (HRW 14 Dec. 2009). Moreover, the Asian Legal Resource Centre (ALRC) describes the police force as the "top violator of human rights" in Thailand, saying police act with "impunity" (3 Sept. 2009). A non-governmental organization (NGO) that has general consultative status with the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations (UN), the ALRC is based in Hong Kong and has worked extensively in several Asian countries, including Thailand (ALRC 3 Sept. 2009). The government of Thailand has declared that ALRC statements regarding human rights violations by the police are "unsubstantiated" (ALRC 3 Sept. 2009).

http://www.unhcr.org...7cee8a1e,0.html

And even in CRIME they are lazy, I particularly liked this quote from the Professor , they cant even make enough of an effort to be top dog in their own country.

Apologies to the many hardworking Thais as Im sure there are some but I generally find many bone idle, unwilling or unable to work due to being drunk, its not Thai bashing its what I see around me OUTSIDE of Bangkok

Both local and international organized crime groups operate in Thailand (US 8 Jan. 2009; Professor 11 Dec. 2009). The Professor stated that "organized crime groups from foreign countries ... are more powerful than any local Thai organized crime groups" (11 Dec. 2009)

Most people in Sisaket know that it was a teacher from Thetsaban school. But he's still a teacher and will always be.

Even if he'd screw some kids.

Sounds pretty harsh, but they do get away with it, even a gay director at a well known high school n Sisaket, who sexually assaulted students.

Everybody knew it, but nobody had the balls to do something. Land of Whys..........................ermm.gif

Edited by sirchai

And to think, the Thais said Lady Gaga gave Thailand a bad reputation by commenting on fake Rolex watches.

As I was told by a Thai the other day, ' You know too much - you been here too long, the world not know' I laughed and laughed again.

• Like 1

As a long term expat here, my contempt for the police knows no bounds. At least this story gives some reason why they are such an absurd group of clowns. For a country obsessed with saving face, the " police " seem to be great at losing face for the country on an ongoing basis. And before the rose colored glasses brigade jump in, ask your Thai friends what they think of the police....

• Like 1

And to think, the Thais said Lady Gaga gave Thailand a bad reputation by commenting on fake Rolex watches.

As I was told by a Thai the other day, ' You know too much - you been here too long, the world not know' I laughed and laughed again.

I have heard that for the last twenty odd years.

"Him spick Thai too mutch, him no good"

bah.gif

For a long time I have felt that the "R" word should be removed from their name, only to be reinstated once they have regained the real respect of the nation.

That would shake them up.

If it costs Bt 350,000 to pass the police constables' exam, how much does it cost to pass the police generals' exam? How many innocent members of the public does a new cop have to intimidate and extort to recover his cost?

After the dust has settled those caught cheating will be quietly welcomed into the BiB with fast track promotion for showing true police spirit and obvious confidence in their ability to extort money and filter it upwards in the direction of the national police chief and minister in charge.

Again.... nothing else than the TRUTH !!!!

How do those poor suckers (remember, it was up-country) get THREE HUNDRED FIFTY THOUSAND baht !?

They borrow it from a loan shark. The loan shark knowing a the loan will be paid easily.. simple..

Here's some typical Thai thinking on police. I am presently at a Thai temple in Phoenix, Arizona.. we are having a big Thai Buddhist celebration here this weekend. We will have about a 100 Thai monks from across the US here to help with the celebration.

Ok.. This Thai monk came up to me, kinda pissed off a little. He told me he had got a speeding ticket from the highway patrol in Texas.

I asked him how fast he was going. He said 80. the speed limit was 75. He told me all his Thai monk friends told him it was ok to go 5 miles over the speed limit. AND, the police would only give him a warning for the first time. He was mad.

I tried to explain to him his buddy's were wrong. The speed limit is what's posted on the signs. If the speed limit was posted as 75, anything over that is agains't the law. And it was up to the police officer whether he gave a ticket or a warning. No, no, no.. His friends can't be wrong.

Now he won't talk to me, which is a good thing.

But it's typical of the Thai way of thinking.

You mean cheating isn't normal and acceptable social behavior in LOS? A recent "attitudes towards corruption" survey indicates otherwise. So why are they ashamed? Perhaps they are just lying low so they can try the same scam again.

Do the police actually sit an entrance exam in the LOS (Land of Stupidity)?

ah they're only police, they are hardly meant to be bastions of society...

Yes I agree fully! What good can come from them.,. They lie, they even cheat and comprimise on their jobs. Sime even say you have ti excuse them as they are poorly paid! What BS! Ifthat is an arguement then those in the police who have made it in life, should then stop lying as the have made millions.,.. The rat pack MIB men in brown

"Investigators also found a list of names of civil servants who had paid to pass tests and been given work in state agencies"

Whoops - the excreta has just made contact with the rotary cooling device.hit-the-fan.gif

Just for giggles all those involved should be made to retake the test under proper exam conditions and the results published.

I'd rather see them fired and made to repay salary claimed under false pretences.

These people ahould mot be grafted into the forces ir any establishment that preserves law and order. I say they should be given labour jobs.

Above translated and decoded; This is the only country on earth where I can get laid.

Why waste valuable energy on typing when it could used producing testosterone?

BTW, Thai language discussion forums reportedly have similar comments.

Likely there are honest decent police also.

Edited by atyclb
  • Like 1

I believe all countries at every level of government, and private enterprise are corrupt in some ways. Why should the Police be any different.

There is no reason to expect the opposite.

To be sure there are people that do play by the rules, and some people that do not.

Thats just the way of the world...

The thing is not to be affected by it one way or the other, that way it allows a person to focus on their own goals they want to acheive.

Above translated and decoded; This is the only country on earth where I can get laid.

Why waste valuable energy on typing when it could used producing testosterone?

BTW, Thai language discussion forums reportedly have similar comments.

Likely there are honest decent police also.

If so, they must be Supermen, to be able to resist the peer pressure to become corrupt, and not to spew at what they see their colleagues doing.

• Like 1

"Investigators also found a list of names of civil servants who had paid to pass tests and been given work in state agencies"Whoops - the excreta has just made contact with the rotary cooling device.hit-the-fan.gif

Just for giggles all those involved should be made to retake the test under proper exam conditions and the results published.

What sorts of questions does a Thai bureaucrat have to know answers to? The ones I've seen, sit at a desk all day and pretend they're busy. Ok, in fairness, there's usually one person in a room of 20 bureaucrats who appears to be doing something, but that's shuffling papers or making sure the bribes go to the right places.