Fish 'N Chips

OldeBellPedr

This Thursday at The Olde Bell you can enjoy Fish 'n Chips in beer batter with chunky British Chips and Garden Peas for just 100Baht!

To wash down your food, we've got Draught Chang at 50 Baht a pint, House Gin & tonic and House Vodka & Tonic/Coke or Orange for 40 Baht!

These are available all day from 11am-11pm

Who says it doesn't pay to stay in Chiang Mai in the low season!!

• Like 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

horizontal folk dancing. Is that what they call it nowadays!!!

As to which day of the week it's on Alfie, just to cater to your obviously devout religious sensibilities, I've reserved portions of Fish 'n Chips for Friday for your goodself and whichever family members you care to bring along still at the extra special price of 100 Baht. (70Baht for the kids). can't say fairer than now guv'ner can I?

for the rest of us who are in the know, Current practice of fasting and abstinence is regulated by paragraphs 1250-1253 of the 1983 Roman Catholic Canon Law as it applies in England and Wales. Under this Canon, Catholics are required to eat just one main meal on a Friday. The Canon does not state what food may be consumed during that meal - the law was amended to take account of the fact that fish in many cases nowadays is more of a luxury, price wise, than meat. The requirements on fasting have only ever applied to food, never to drink - even alcoholic drink, so downing a few pints of Chang with your fish and chips will not dam_n you to eternal hell-fire!! I hope this clarifies the situation regarding eating Fish and Chips on a Thursday!!

Of course if you're not RC, then these rules don't apply to you anyway and you can munch away in glorious abandon!

The Olde Bell, Bookman, is located in the middle of town, on Loi Kroh Rd, about 200m from the moat, next to the Raming Lodge Hotel and behind the yellow Bank of Ayuthaya exchange booth. It has a halo above the door!

Edited by OldeBellPedr
  • Like 2

Forgive me for saying so Pedr, but if it's going to be on any day it should really be a friday !

Yes definitely Friday for fish, besides I have horizontal folk dancing lessons every Thursday wink.png

They have classes for that? Can you recommend an instructor?

Forgive me for saying so Pedr, but if it's going to be on any day it should really be a friday !

Yes definitely Friday for fish, besides I have horizontal folk dancing lessons every Thursday wink.png

Knowing MM he probably could name several, but he wouldn't because they're in limbo

Knowing MM he probably could name several, but he wouldn't because they're in limbo

Yes I have about a dozen regular instructors, and all have their own techniques on how the movements should be performed, but dancing can be very exhausting. I think a good plate of fish and chips might helpwhistling.gif

"This Thursday at The Olde Bell you can enjoy Fish 'n Chips in beer batter with chunky British Chips and Garden Peas for just 100Baht!

To wash down your food, we've got Draught Chang at 50 Baht a pint, House Gin & tonic and House Vodka & Tonic/Coke or Orange for 40 Baht!

These are available all day from 11am-11pm"

This is probably the best deal in town at the moment.

That is some form of dancing? Does it involve bending very low and wiggling under something?

Is that 4-a-side horizontal folk-dancing, and are the costumes silk or leather ? rolleyes.gif

"I love the sound of knotted-hankies, doing the 'hanky-panky', in the evening !" as Colonel Kurtz said, before it was edited-out ! laugh.png

Hey Pedr

Is there such a thing as volume or professional discount???? If so maybe I can buy up a bunch , bring back as still sell at a mark up........ and still be cheaper than most.....

G

Thought for the day:

Doesn't "expecting the unexpected"

Make the unexpected expected?

I don't think fish 'n Chips would taste all that good after a few hours Gonzo!!

I promise there will be no' horizontal folk dancing lessons' We're just not that kind of establishment! We leave that kind of thing to the more racey places near the moat!

Thursday is visiting day at the womens monkey house MJM ?

Thursday is visiting day at the womens monkey house MJM ?

All lessons are held at Maejo Manor. but always open to alternatives whistling.gif

• Like 1

That’s discrimination against Catholics that are not allowed to eat fish on Friday’s. I’m reporting this to the race relations board

And I haven’t had any good horizontal lessons with my missus since 2002. Perhaps one of the Olde Bell’s stately meals of fish and chips might get her in the mood?

Dear Sir, owner of the Olde Bell, I guess your name is Pedro.

Making (hidden) publicity and start a forum-topic for this is one thing, praising your own business by yourself and your friends is a second thing. Giving your customers decent food is another thing. I have eaten my worst ever fish and chips (and I eat a few already) at your Olde Bell yesterday evening. Sorry, not eaten as I took one bite only. My wife didn't even want to taste this mess. At your normal price of 220 Baht this is just disgraceful. Shame.

Your staff served us cold fish and chips which prior had been warmed up in the microwave. Uneatable with the outside tasteless and tough like my shoes and the inner watery white and not cooked-through. Absolutely zero on a scale to ten.

What disturbed me the most, however, was your attitude. When your staff informed you about what happened you shrug your shoulders only, ignoring us completely.

Myself being an ex-owner of a few hotels and restaurants found your attitude just like your food; far below zero. You will not see us again.

Your staff did not charge us for this "accident". My wife did not touched her plate and I hope it did not went to the microwave again. We paid our drinks and left with a strange feeling.

It was my second bad experience that day. For lunch being at another restaurant the owner and friends like to glorify. I did not had to pay at "The Nest" as well and the diarrhea was free. The Wienerschitzel and chips were just disastrous. Black brown from the old bad oil and I think the schnitzel and fries came both from the same pot. Schnitzel was burned and hard as concrete and the chips black brown oily soft outside and still raw inside. 0 to 10 Sir.

The lady owner knew it and apologized. Explanation was that here sister made the food and it was her first time ever..... The Thai food of my wife was quite good tough.

After two completely negative tries at UK restaurants, we finally went to a French restaurant and had a wonderful and delicious dinner.

• Like 1

Making (hidden) publicity and start a forum-topic for this is one thing, praising your own business by yourself and your friends is a second thing. Giving your customers decent food is another thing. I have eaten my worst ever fish and chips (and I eat a few already) at your Olde Bell yesterday evening. Sorry, not eaten as I took one bite only. My wife didn't even want to taste this mess. At your normal price of 220 Baht this is just disgraceful. Shame.

Your staff served us cold fish and chips which prior had been warmed up in the microwave. Uneatable with the outside tasteless and tough like my shoes and the inner watery white and not cooked-through. Absolutely zero on a scale to ten.

What disturbed me the most, however, was your attitude. When your staff informed you about what happened you shrug your shoulders only, ignoring us completely.

Myself being an ex-owner of a few hotels and restaurants found your attitude just like your food; far below zero. You will not see us again.

Your staff did not charge us for this "accident". My wife did not touched her plate and I hope it did not went to the microwave again. We paid our drinks and left with a strange feeling.

It was my second bad experience that day. For lunch being at another restaurant the owner and friends like to glorify. I did not had to pay at "The Nest" as well and the diarrhea was free. The Wienerschitzel and chips were just disastrous. Black brown from the old bad oil and I think the schnitzel and fries came both from the same pot. Schnitzel was burned and hard as concrete and the chips black brown oily soft outside and still raw inside. 0 to 10 Sir.

The lady owner knew it and apologized. Explanation was that here sister made the food and it was her first time ever..... The Thai food of my wife was quite good tough. However the owner is better than you so shit the fuc_k up.

After two completely negative tries at UK restaurants, we finally went to a French restaurant and had a wonderful and delicious dinner.

Your comment will be deleted because you have insulted someone who had paid money to Thaivisa to promete their restaurant.

Your complaints are not reasonable, and this is Chiang Mai.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Or more accurately: he's a forum sponsor, and without those there wouldn't be any money to run the forum servers or to make posts. In return sponsors can highlight particular events or promotions at their place, within reason. It's a reasonable arrangement.

The post might also not be deleted actually, if the sponsor wishes to leave it and respond.

The lady owner knew it and apologized. Explanation was that here sister made the food and it was her first time ever..... The Thai food of my wife was quite good tough. However the owner is better than you so shit the fuc_k up.

Your comment will be deleted because you have insulted someone who had paid money to Thaivisa to promete their restaurant.

Your complaints are not reasonable, and this is Chiang Mai.

I'm glad they didn't pull the post Original Poster, I am quite capable of defending myself!

We sold over 40 portions of Fish 'n Chips last night and had lots of compliments and 2 complaints. This guy, French by his own admission, came in with his wife and, as he said, sent it back after one bite. As he says, his wife sent it back without even tasting it! his complaint to the staff was that the food was cold and that the fish wasn't cooked through. both complaints were factually incorrect. I did shrug my shoulders, as, if someone has a problem and cant even be arsed to get off their butt and tell me about it, why should i care? Had he told me of the problem we could have replaced the food! I did check his returned food back in the kitchen and it was hot and the food was cooked perfectly adequately. Apart from heating the peas, none of the meal went in the microwave. I sincerely hope we won't see you again Monsieur le Frenchman! The other gentleman who complained, talked to me and did so in polite and measured terms and we sorted out the problem and I gave him a voucher for a future visit. There's always one, Phew, what a plonker!

Edited by OldeBellPedr
  • Like 2

What is a French man eating fish and chits for?

What is a French man eating wienershitzel for?

Stick to your wonderful French cuisine next time Frog's legs and French fries please.

Reminds me of a joke Q: Why do the French eat snails?

A: It gives them speedier reactions.

A man askes his companion, "What's the most common French expression"?

His friend scratches his head, shrugs his shoulders and replies, "I give up!"

Edited by MrRed

Sweetandsour is obviously a troll, a <deleted> or both “ex-owner of a few hotels and restaurants” yeah right full of it aren’t you?

I had the fish and chips and it was well cooked with nice crunchy batter and great value. I had already arranged to meet some friends at another bar in the vicinity and after I had waxed lyrical about the 100 baht meal I had just eaten they ordered a couple of potions which, despite the Olde Bell being very busy were delivered to us and a short time later the plates were returned empty (my friends even ate the peas which I thought was a bit iffy ‘cos as everyone knows they are green and poisonous).

I’ll have a happier life if I never meet Sweetandsour. Fingers crossed eh?

Sometimes you read a complaint about a restaurant and think someone's had a bad experience. Sometimes you read a complaint and think you'd never want to meet the guy in a bar. I think Pedr is correct to hope never to see him again. The guy would probably be bad for business.

But....

Page 2 and we haven't even touched the topic of 'best Fish & Chips in Chiang Mai'. What's going on?

• Like 1