90 Day Reporting - Comments And Experiences

Tywais

I just read the February, 2013, Chiang Mai, edition of CityLife magazine. On pages 22 and 23, there is an article regarding an interview with the new superintendent of Chiang Mai, Immigration. I thought the interview was both interesting and informative. I think most of you will enjoy reading the article. The title of the article is "Immigration Frustrations." One of the questions presented to the new superintendent was the superintendents thoughts about the 90 day reporting. smile.png

• Like 1

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just read the February, 2013, Chiang Mai, edition of CityLife magazine. On pages 22 and 23, there is an article regarding an interview with the new superintendent of Chiang Mai, Immigration. I thought the interview was both interesting and informative.

Liked this comment "In two years we are going to be flooded when ASEAN finally opens its borders. Our facilities are inadequate, as are our personnel. It is going to be a mess."

We have already seen an example of it with the Burmese registrations.

Article here

//edit - just finished the article. Have to give him credit, he has balls. biggrin.png But certainly an interesting read.

• Like 2

I just read the February, 2013, Chiang Mai, edition of CityLife magazine. On pages 22 and 23, there is an article regarding an interview with the new superintendent of Chiang Mai, Immigration. I thought the interview was both interesting and informative. I think most of you will enjoy reading the article. The title of the article is "Immigration Frustrations." One of the questions presented to the new superintendent was the superintendents thoughts about the 90 day reporting. smile.png

Very enlightening and surprisingly frank and open. Kudos Pol. Col. Prachak.

• Like 2

Indeed, I particularly liked this.

"I also am very serious about implementing the Pretty Smile Project. If people have to wait here all day, at least they can look at a friendly face. No more grumpy immigration staff. I insist that they be happy, friendly, helpful, smiley, well dressed, polite, black-haired, white-teethed, softly spoken and greet people well".

I just read the February, 2013, Chiang Mai, edition of CityLife magazine. On pages 22 and 23, there is an article regarding an interview with the new superintendent of Chiang Mai, Immigration. I thought the interview was both interesting and informative.

Liked this comment "In two years we are going to be flooded when ASEAN finally opens its borders. Our facilities are inadequate, as are our personnel. It is going to be a mess."

We have already seen an example of it with the Burmese registrations.

Article here

That was a very good article & for once I see someone explain the 90 day reasoning.

This man Col. Prachak sounds like he has some good ideas & even if BK will not move on them

he seems to be trying even on his own with ideas. That 90 day online deal would be great.

Since they already allow taxes being done online they may be able to get this done?

Good on Him!

• Like 1

How do you insist on someone being happy and what's wrong with grey hair? biggrin.png

Just joking uptheos. My hair has sadly, turned grey recently too.biggrin.png

My comment wasn't directed at you, I think you posted just before I clicked enter.

But you are right on a few things. wink.png

I hope people insist on their pretty smile project rights. biggrin.png

Edited by uptheos

The chap sounds decent and forthright enough, although is still fairly typical, requiring to 'know where aliens are'... that's it in a nutshell. The view on reporting for workers when they have left a company is fair enough, but what about those not working and retirees who are consistently dumping money into the economy? Why do you need to know where they always are if they have a visa? If the number is an issue, simply screen the airports or close up the borders and lets all pee off to Burma. I'm sure Thai folks in other countries are not made to display their whereabouts every five minutes through fear of 'disappearing'. Big dose of paranoia through not being colonised is what it is, right there. lol

However, at least someone's thinking along the right lines (online reporting), so lets keep praying for small mercies.

CM immigration do not regard he 90 day reports as a nuisance, they seem to enjoy the daily visits of foreigners waiting in a large ticked numbered queue at their office.

In the past those reports could be done and were done via registered mailing, but this has now been cancelled for those foreigners who are resident in the city of CM.

Those living outside the city of CM are still able to make the 90 day report via registered postage this is still allowed in order to prevent long visiting journey's for them.

Nevertheless, it is possible that the 90 day reports might eventually be cancelled, and foreigners visits will then only be required for applications of visa extension.

Edited by personchester

"I also am very serious about implementing the Pretty Smile Project. If people have to wait here all day, at least they can look at a friendly face. No more grumpy immigration staff. I insist that they be happy, friendly, helpful, smiley, well dressed, polite, black-haired, white-teethed, softly spoken and greet people well".

Now, if only the farangs there would be happy, friendly, helpful, smiley, well dressed, polite, black-haired, white-teethed, softly spoken and greet people well, it would be a match made in heaven. Unfortunately, most of the farangs seen there are inadequately dressed with yellow teeth and grey or no hair, unfriendly, grumpy impolite, and irritable.laugh.png

+1+

Wow, this article is amazing. The Police Colonel is refreshingly frank. No one has mentioned a key point -- this is his last posting before retirement and he wants to make a difference. I've know other managers, executives and higher-level government officials who have decided their last assignment is going to be the one where they "do the right thing" regardless of the consequences. They no longer have to worry about career advancement and find a new energy from that realization. They can really make a lasting legacy and he seems poised to do so.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 2

CM immigration do not regard he 90 day reports as a nuisance, they seem to enjoy the daily visits of foreigners waiting in a large ticked numbered queue at their office.

In the past those reports could be done and were done via registered mailing, but this has now been cancelled for those foreigners who are resident in the city of CM.

Those living outside the city of CM are still able to make the 90 day report via registered postage this is still allowed in order to prevent long visiting journey's for them.

Nevertheless, it is possible that the 90 day reports might eventually be cancelled, and foreigners visits will then only be required for applications of visa extension.

You might want to read the article.

• Like 2

Every one should sign the petition in the link. I did .

Did you?

If not don't complain about immigration any more.

PS there were only 34 sigs when I signed which would indicate a lot of posters on TV who whinge about things but are not prepared to do anything about it.

Edited by skills32
  • Like 1

Signed it, too.

Last 90 days two weeks ago has been 3 minutes, the one before 10 min., the one before that one hour.

Queuing system working well, in and out for the yearly not a 45 minutes. Always friendly and polite (both sides ;-) ).

But they really need an upgrade on room and staff.

Unfortunately, most of the farangs seen there are inadequately dressed with yellow teeth and grey or no hair, unfriendly, grumpy impolite, and irritable.

In other words, "Quality Tourists". laugh.png

On another thread it referred to Quality tourists being ones who come here to gamble. That is the pitch they are using to legalize gambling.

You don't suppose the quality tourists will have night club style immigration buildings when they go for there Visa. I wonder if it will be a special VIP one.

Did you?

PS there were only 34 sigs when I signed which would indicate a lot of posters on TV who whinge about things but are not prepared to do anything about it.

Not true they pay a 1,000 baht.

Unfortunately, most of the farangs seen there are inadequately dressed with yellow teeth and grey or no hair, unfriendly, grumpy impolite, and irritable.

In other words, "Quality Tourists". laugh.png

On another thread it referred to Quality tourists being ones who come here to gamble. That is the pitch they are using to legalize gambling.

You don't suppose the quality tourists will have night club style immigration buildings when they go for there Visa. I wonder if it will be a special VIP one.

If it ever gets legalised and if any tourists come here for gambling, I very much doubt that these VIP tourists will be here long enough that a visit to immigration is necessary.

Incidentally--not that I was there for a 90 day report, which I have finally contracted out to the company that everyone else is already endorsing, but I went for my annual Visa Extension Renewal--anyway, forget the 'get there early in the morning, sign the stupid list outside the closed office and return to claim your, supposed, rightful place in the queue' because they, now, take bugger all notice of the silly list that we had all signed outside--and, instead, prefer a mad scrum around the door as it opens at 8.00 a.m. and dish out a number for which you get allocated a 'real' queue number shortly afterwards.

Sadly, I didn't know this and having hung back for the melee to subside walked through the door and got number 102--I was number 12 on the dam_n 'outside, early morning' queue list--SOM NAM Na, springs to mind!

Incidentally--not that I was there for a 90 day report, which I have finally contracted out to the company that everyone else is already endorsing, but I went for my annual Visa Extension Renewal--anyway, forget the 'get there early in the morning, sign the stupid list outside the closed office and return to claim your, supposed, rightful place in the queue' because they, now, take bugger all notice of the silly list that we had all signed outside--and, instead, prefer a mad scrum around the door as it opens at 8.00 a.m. and dish out a number for which you get allocated a 'real' queue number shortly afterwards.

Sadly, I didn't know this and having hung back for the melee to subside walked through the door and got number 102--I was number 12 on the dam_n 'outside, early morning' queue list--SOM NAM Na, springs to mind!

Don't you worry mate, just wait until that petition gets to Bangkok!

Did you?

I just signed it and it said that there were now 55 signatures--Jeez, it seems that folks should read the article and then sign the petition--might even make a difference.

Don't you worry mate, just wait until that petition gets to Bangkok!

We never know--it could actually get a looking--or could it??

I was also rather surprised by the open candour expressed by the Immigration Head-Honcho--good strong stuff, very well written--almost too well written. Not saying he didn't actually write it just very refreshing to hear a Thai questioning their seniors--highly unusual.

Now, if only the farangs there would be happy, friendly, helpful, smiley, well dressed, polite, black-haired, white-teethed, softly spoken and greet people well, it would be a match made in heaven. Unfortunately, most of the farangs seen there are inadequately dressed with yellow teeth and grey or no hair, unfriendly, grumpy impolite, and irritable.laugh.png

Hey I didn't get much sleep that night, the wife kept me at it for hours, I had to pull an all nighter.

ful, smiley, well dressed, polite, black-haired, white-teethed, softly spoken and greet people well".

Hey I didn't get much sleep that night, the wife kept me at it for hours, I had to pull an all nighter.

I think he is just making a slam at people with gray hair or who through no fault of there own have gone bald. Probably at people who can't afford the teeth whiting process that is becoming popular.

Defiantly at people who0 don't dress like him. A bit of an elitist attitude don't you think.smile.png

Unfortunately he is rite about the unfriendly, grumpy impolite, and irritable people there are some of them also. But on a whole when ever I had to spend time there I found people who were not like that.

Just have to keep an open mind and look around.

I wonder if he has a weight problem he didn't take a shot at them.clap2.gif

I found the article on our local Immigration Office to be very

informative. From postings on Chiang Mai portion of Thai Visa Forum

I would have expected a ground swell of support for doing something to

improve the situation at the Immigration Office.

However, in looking at the petition site this morning found that only 95

persons have chosen to sign. So I guess the silence speaks volumes

about the real level of concern?

You can check the statistics at:

http://www.change.or...igration-office

Many long term expats are very reticent to sign anything that might bring one unfavorable attention from the immigration department - no matter how much they may agree with it.

Quote: Pol. Col. Prachak: Yes, they can send letters to the Prime Minister’s office. That would be best. And don’t worry about visa repercussions, no one has the time or the energy to chase after a letter writer!

Is the inference that if they had the time and energy, they would chase after the letter writer?

Just asking.

• Like 1