Birth Certificate Help Needed

Currently at the hospital trying to do my newborn daughters birth certificate. Im australian n wife thai, what do i fill in the question for nationality, aus or thai? or leave it blank? Staff here says can only have one nationality?

If i put aus does this affect when i try do her aus citizenship later and does she still get thai i.d etc?

Urgent advice from someone who definately knows pls

Thanks

Sent from my GT-P1000T using Thaivisa Connect App

She is Thai because her mother is Thai. That is what needs to be on the birth certificate. Be sure you sign the birth registration documents at the Amphoe (district office) as the babies father.

Not sure about the process to register her birth with the Australian embassy but I am sure you can find the info on their website.

Edited by ubonjoe

It is the Thai birth certificate you need and on that am sure she will need to be Thai. But hope someone who has been through the process can verify for you. If she were born in Oz then the birth certificate would say Australian and you would obtain the Thai birth certificate from the Thai Embassy later.

She can have both nationalities.

You just have to go through the process of registering her birth with the Australian government.

If I recall correctly only Thai can be used on the birth certificate unless both parents are foreigners.

Edit: Info on registering your child's birth at embassy. http://www.thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/DIAC_Citizenship_by_descent.html

Edited by ubonjoe

My kids have thai/ Australian and NZ citizenship. There is absolutely no issue anywhere in having dual citizenship. All born in Bangkok.

If born in Thailand, put Thai (which your child indeed is), as otherwise they will have stamped on their Thai birth certificate 'not eligible for Thai citizenship' which is clearly wrong.

As a point of law, your child is not an Australian citizen, yet. So technically speaking, you can only put Thai on the birth certificate.

You have to apply for Australian citizenship by descent at the embassy once you have the Thai birth certificate sorted and translated.

So long as you are eligible to transmit Australian citizenship to your child born overseas ( being Australian born or naturalised is generally sufficient) the your child will become an oz citizen on the date the application for australian citizenship is approved.

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

confusing(for me)

just put non-Thai nationality on the birth certificate.

A new born is not a registered national anyway.

Even if you put Thai national on it, she still needs to apply for Thai ID and/or passport.

same for the other nationality.

Or????? i missing something very important here

does putting on non Thai means.....reject Thai nationality?

i don't think so.....how many times do we see post of a (Thai parent) foreigner who wants to apply for a Thai passport when they grow up.?

Putting Thai on it is simply the easiest thing, as the records then indicate the child is a Thai national and it doesn't have to be established again.

Having a Thai passport or ID card or not does not say soemone is a Thai national or not. Many children don't have a Thai passport or Thai ID-card but are still Thai nationals.

No, putting Austrailan on it doesn't mean rejecting Thai nationality. Rejecting Thai nationality is a whole process and needs government approval.

it sounds like the hospital are registerring the birth for you ? if not they will give you the paperwork to take to the ampur office .

if you say to the hospital you want to it yourself then you'll have your signature twice on the birth cert. once for being father and once for person registerring,

you'll need to make sure no spelling mistakes and i think any names have to be supplied in thai and english.

there's only 2 weeks from birth allowed to get the birth registered and birth cert. made,

whenever i had any nationality boxes to fill in i always wrote thai/british or dual thai/british and left it upto the people doing the processing, i don't think it really makes much difference as long as your names also on the thai birth cert. as father so you can then go through the process for aus registration.

• Like 1

it sounds like the hospital are registerring the birth for you ? if not they will give you the paperwork to take to the ampur office .

if you say to the hospital you want to it yourself then you'll have your signature twice on the birth cert. once for being father and once for person registerring,

you'll need to make sure no spelling mistakes and i think any names have to be supplied in thai and english.

there's only 2 weeks from birth allowed to get the birth registered and birth cert. made,

whenever i had any nationality boxes to fill in i always wrote thai/british or dual thai/british and left it upto the people doing the processing, i don't think it really makes much difference as long as your names also on the thai birth cert. as father so you can then go through the process for aus registration.

Good advice on the process, but probably would be highly cautious on filling in the boxes as Thai/OZ as you suggest.

The reason for that is simple, although dual citizenship has been unambigously legal since 1992 (so 20 years now!) there are plenty of civil servants around the traps who either don't know this, or are to stubbon to accept that it is, and the last thing you want is them sticking Australian down on the BC. Once BC's are done, they are next to impposible to change. And given how Thai citizenship works, the birth certificate is basically the foundation document for the house registration, ID number, ID card and passport, so the BC needs to be right.

Edited by samran

Do not believe it is legal - it is just accepted and not in law illegal (you do not have to renounce citizenship); as is the case for the USA. So believe filling in more than one nationality would indeed not be a good idea.

The child is Thai because it is born in Thailand from a Thai mother.

Get all the papers translated and legalized and when you are in OZ apply for Australian citizenship

Having been born in Thailand (or not) has nothing to do with it. Only the simple fact if one of the parents is Thai is relevant.

Get all the papers translated and legalized and when you are in OZ apply for Australian citizenship

Furthermore, this will mean that the parents will be required to go through the ordeal of having to have an Australan visa granted for a child who could more easily have their citizenship sorted at the embassy, before travel.

Make sure your signature/name is on the birth certificate twice,this is good advice by Chris and congrats on the birth of your daughter.

Having been born in Thailand (or not) has nothing to do with it. Only the simple fact if one of the parents is Thai is relevant.

Thats why i said is born in Thailand from a Thai mother.

'Thai' is the correct answer for nationality on the Thai forms.

When you fill out Australian forms you answer 'Australian'

Indeed.

Until the OP registers his daughter at the embassy, 'Thai' is the only answer he can give.

Listen to the one that has been trough the process. If you want your child to have the benefit of both nationalities fill in Thai. The birth certificate can then be used for the childs Thai passport. As soon as you get the official copy of the birth certificate, have it registered (apply for OZ birth registration and nationality) at your embassy. Once the birth is registered with OZ embassy, apply for a passport. I have done this two times and the process is simple, but I failed to follow this procedure with one child and he is still seeking Thai citizenship.

Hey guys thanks for all the answers. Just back from the amphur here in chonburi and got it successfully. Got a form from the chonburi hospital first then took that to the amphur, we couldve done it at the hospital and apparently is exactly yhe same but just to be safe went to amphur.

To clarify some responses,im not sure if it differs from amphur to amphur but here only the thai parent can register it (wr are married), but only my name can appear as father, i.cannot register the certificate or sign it.

Also i enquired about the official form for registering me as the father just incase but again this isnt allowed if married.

The whole thing is free and even though the amphur is busy i believe we were the only one doing a birth certificate so pretty qyick and easy.

By the way anyone thinking about having a baby at chonburi hospital, even tho its a public hospital and very busy i would totally recommend it,especially if you can get a private room after the birth. Its cheap and if ur wife has social insurance we actually made alot more money from the birth than it cost us. The nurses and doctor we used were all fantastic. It helped being a foreigner though i think as i didnt see any other foreigners there the whole 3 days i was there and they seemed to make more of a fuss about us.

Any info pls pm me.

Hey mate, thanks for that, by registered is that the same thing as applying for the citizenship or should this be done first? Also does our marriage have to be registered with the aus embassy? Didnt notice it even saying the marriage certificate was needed in the required documents.

Did they require more things thats stated on the website? Bit of a trip there and back for us so just wanna make sure got everything.

Cheers

To clarify some responses,im not sure if it differs from amphur to amphur but here only the thai parent can register it (wr are married), but only my name can appear as father, i.cannot register the certificate or sign it.

There are three places for names on the form. Mothers name, Fathers name, registering persons name.

If you, the father, take the form to the Amphur office, your name should appear as 'father' and 'registering person'

If it is done at the hospital, you would only have your name as 'the father' and a hospital official would be 'registering person'

If your Amphur office refused to accept you as 'registering person' they would be wrong, anyone can be the 'registering person', but some Amphur offices just don't like dealing with foreigners and make up bogus rules on the spot to get rid of you.

When you get the Thai birth certificate translated for the Australian embassy, make sure you write in all the English translations of the names as you want them spelt on a photocopy of the Thai birth certificate (above each Thai name). Else it won't be spelt as you wanted. Then double check the translation matches your wishes when you get it back.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

If you, the father, take the form to the Amphur office, your name should appear as 'father' and 'registering person'

If it is done at the hospital, you would only have your name as 'the father' and a hospital official would be 'registering person'

Fathers name can still be listed as the person registerering the birth, if the birth certificate is done at the hospital, although this might be a hospital to hospital thing.

First congradulations. Put Thai down on the form since your wife is Thai. Make sure your full name, nationality etc is on the form as being the father. Once you get the birth certificate back from the hospital go the Australian embassy to get your child's Austalian citizenship. Your child can be dual citizen but at a certain age in you will have to decide which citizenship to keep (Thai or Ausi). Your embassy can give all the details.