Google Pack - Thank You Google!

george

Google Pack - A free collection of essential software

http://pack.google.com/

Google Pack is a free collection of essential software from Google and other companies. The software in the Google Pack helps you browse the web faster, remove and protect your computer from spyware and viruses, organize your photos, and more.

* Norton AntiVirus 2005 Special Edition

* Adobe Reader 7

* Ad-Aware SE Personal

* GalleryPlayer HD Images

* Google Desktop

* Google Earth

* Google Pack Screensaver

* Google Talk

* Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer

* Mozilla Firefox with Google Toolbar

* Picasa

* RealPlayer

* Trillian

Google Pack also takes the hassle out of downloading, installing, and updating software. You can download and install the entire Google Pack in just a few clicks. And the included Google Updater helps you discover new programs and keep your current software up to date.

Is NAV free now ???

Yes, at least a trial for 6 months. Great!

Hmmm. They give you 6 months free, then hope you're too stupid/lazy to switch to a free option such as AVG from Grisoft www.grisoft.com.

As for Google Pack - it adds up to an almost 100 MB download - totally pointless for those of us living in the sticks without access to ADSL.

(Good selection of programs, though - apart from Norton.)

Just to point out that Google Earth requires a broadband connection to work properly.

I've seen GE working on a dial up. Obviously takes longer to load the graphics, but if you are patient the results are the same as a broadband connection.

Most of it is good stuff that most computer literates already have on their computers.

But why bother with NAV for 6 months. Get Grisoft AVG. The URL is free.grisoft.com though, the www.grisoft.com only give you the premium/paid version.

I entirely agree with these comments and cannot understand why anyone would bother with NAV, paid for or not. The AVG free program works great, is continuously updated and, from personal experience, does exactly what it's supposed to do.

Should anyone wish to subscribe to the g-mail e-mail program which has to be done by invitation, please let me know, I will extend an "invite" to anyone who wants one, or, better still, create a generic e-mail address which any ThaiVisa user may use to obtain an invitation. Unless, of course, that goes against the rules of this forum

Not a big fan of Google Desktop either - resource hog as mentioned, and the index it built came to well over a gig.

Putting RealPlayer in there? I bet they gave that some careful consideration. RealNetworks have only just started to give their user base some decent respect, without bombarding them with bloatware and those pain-in-the-arse reminders to get the full, paid software.

bad offer,personally i not like

first because all program you can allready find free in internet

second,about NAV is not good idea

i think google about open source,google desktop,google earth,gmail,googletalk,good program and free and now...?Norton? :D:D:D are google crazy? :o

Google Pack - A free collection of essential software

Google Pack is a free collection of essential software from Google and other companies. The software in the Google Pack helps you browse the web faster, remove and protect your computer from spyware and viruses, organize your photos, and more.

* Norton AntiVirus 2005 Special Edition

* Adobe Reader 7

* Ad-Aware SE Personal

* GalleryPlayer HD Images

* Google Desktop

* Google Earth

* Google Pack Screensaver

* Google Talk

* Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer

* Mozilla Firefox with Google Toolbar

* Picasa

* RealPlayer

* Trillian

Google Pack also takes the hassle out of downloading, installing, and updating software. You can download and install the entire Google Pack in just a few clicks. And the included Google Updater helps you discover new programs and keep your current software up to date.

To save a few milliseconds, the above pack is only available for Windows XP

Anything Google does is in order to more closely monitor what you are doing, see that little flash to the left hand bottom of the screen when you load a program when you have Google desktop on board: 'Google Analysis'.

Big brother is watching your every move.

Just to point out that Google Earth requires a broadband connection to work properly.

hi'

and a good video card, an ati rage pro doesn't make it for example :o

francois

You sure - I got it working on an Ati Rage notebook chipset by using the DirectX mode. (It's not fast, but it works.)

This article was in the Independent yesterday and i,m posting it to add to info already known.

Maybe it will compliment to what has already been observered while giving another view of the content

of the pack ect.

From The Independent & The Independent on Sunday

10 January 2006 07:02

Google launches direct challenge to Microsoft

By Philip Thornton

Published: 09 January 2006

The rivalry between Google, the internet upstart, and Microsoft, the computer titan, moved to a new level at the weekend as the search engine unveiled a package of services that could break Microsoft's stranglehold.

It launched Google Pack, an alliance of companies that will offer a package of personal computer programmes that will be free for internet surfers to download.

It also announced plans to enable consumers to buy downloads of television programmes such as popular entertainment shows and professional basketball games under a Google Video Store brand.

Both initiatives will be seen as a direct challenge to Microsoft's dominance of the home-computing market and its plans to make inroads into the market for television and video content over the internet, rather than merely over cable and satellite.

Larry Page, Google's co-founder, used the closing address at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, seen as the trend-setting event for the coming year, to unveil his plans. His speech was even more closely watched than usual after Bill Gates, Microsoft's chairman, disparaged reports of new Google products saying: "I hear they are coming out with a robot that will cook hamburgers too."

Google Pack will include Google's desktop search feature, the Firefox browser, anti-virus software from Norton, a media platform from Realplayer and Adobe Acrobat's document reader.

Josh Bernoff, a media and internet analyst at Forrester, a technology research company, said: "This is a direct action to challenge Microsoft. Google is saying, 'We can manage the browser and other elements of the computer-desktop experience better than you'."

The video service will allow content providers to post videos for downloading on Google's online store. Providers will decide on pricing and copy protection, but video would be viewed via Google's media player.

marshbags :o:D:D

Edited by marshbags

Any challenge to M$ is good.

I'm curiouis to see what Google will come up with as a new OS for a cheap PC as reported by the press recently. One woulda though the easiest way forward would be to base something on Linux in a similar way to how Apple built OSX off BSD.

Anything Google does is in order to more closely monitor what you are doing, see that little flash to the left hand bottom of the screen when you load a program when you have Google desktop on board: 'Google Analysis'.

Big brother is watching your every move.

I kinda' think that way too.

Fact is if you are onlne you can be monitered.