Aussie Woman Jailed For False Sexual Assault Report In Phuket

webfact

I thought most HC's were normally upstanding members of the community first before becming Hc's. I thought that was kind of the point. Having a business is an obvious part of being a part of the community. I fail to see 'nkm's' problem yet again.

Here we go again.

I have never heard of the guy. I was unfamilar with the term, "Honary Consul." I was unfamiliar with the criteria one must meet to become an Honary Consul. I don't believe "having a business" is the only way you can be part of the community. Obviously, there are many retired people who are part of the community.

I did not have a "problem." I was just questioning his authority and credentials. I am now satisfied he is who he says he is, and does perform a certain role within the scope of his position, as sanctioned by The Australian Government.

Nothing wrong with asking such questions, otherwise, I may as well just go and "invest" with "The Penguin." :) :) :) :)

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An Honorary Consul is just that - an honorary position which is basically unpaid - the reward primarily being in the honour of serving ones country, and yes they do recieve a certain very minimal payment for expenses etc. They have to support themselves.

If a person is given the title of Honorary Consul, it is an official position, ratified by the government of the country they represent, and to falsely claim to hold such a position would undoubtedly be punishable under law. The HC in Phuket is a well respected member of the community there, and obviously works hard to assist those in need of his help.

I am really not sure why his position and motives would be questioned, especially when it is recognised that he holds the position of HC, and this is obviously recognised by the Australian Embassy and the government of both Thailand and Australia.

Related to the real issue - the girl making the false claim - she has received the sentence of 15 days and deportation - do people not THINK about the consequences of their actions? Amazingly foolish...especially when travelling in Asia - its not a wise move to commit offences in foreign countries and hope to get away with it - it was a rash decision at the time perhaps, but the effects are there forever - deportation is a huge red flag to anyone in future if she applies for visas to travel elsewhere...

By the way - I do object to the post saying that she was pretending to be an Australian - if she really WAS pretending, I am sure she would be charged with using a false passport - as she wasn't, I can only assume that she was legally using an Australian passport.

The ONLY way to get a legitimate Australian passport is from the appropriate issuing authority in Australia, or an official Embassy (oh, or from certain specially authorised HC's such as Larry in Phuket). Australian passports are only issued to Australians - real ones - therefore, she must be a real Australian under the guidelines within which such passports are issued by the relevant authority - she must have been born there or she bacame a citizen via one of the officially recognised methods, and was officially sworn in and has been issued the cerificate of Australian Citizenship, so she is NOT pretending to be Australian, no matter where she was born - if she has fulfilled the statutory requirements laid down by the Australian Passport Office, then she IS Australian.

Yes, by the way, I am Australian by birth, and I know about the processes involved in obtaining Australian Citizenship because people I know well have been through it.

Given what you say, these people are to be commended. How many others here can say they give of their time to help their fellow expats for little or no reward? Good on them.

Back on topic. The boyfriend is lucky her allegations were not levelled against him, and she stuck to the false story. He could have been in for a real tough time.

Also, another motive may have been to explain all the damage in the room, in an attempt to not have to pay for it.

Greer, on Yesterday, 23:48 , said:

By the way - I do object to the post saying that she was pretending to be an Australian - if she really WAS pretending, I am sure she would be charged with using a false passport - as she wasn't, I can only assume that she was legally using an Australian passport.

That was me also Australian by birth. It gets on my goat when I see the trash they're allowing to become " Australians". this was a natural reaction on my part. However I understand your objection. Unfortunately it was meant as a tongue in cheek way of expressing the possible fact that she was not born a native Australian but a British citizen using a legally issued Australian passport for whatever reason. Obviously she was not using a false passport, that would be a crime almost as bad as to which she has already confessed.

With respect I hope this clarifies any misunderstanding by you and other members of this forum.

Greer, on Yesterday, 23:48 , said:

That was me also Australian by birth. It gets on my goat when I see the trash they're allowing to become " Australians". this was a natural reaction on my part. However I understand your objection. Unfortunately it was meant as a tongue in cheek way of expressing the possible fact that she was not born a native Australian but a British citizen using a legally issued Australian passport for whatever reason. Obviously she was not using a false passport, that would be a crime almost as bad as to which she has already confessed.

With respect I hope this clarifies any misunderstanding by you and other members of this forum.

'Native Australian' as in 'Aborigine' ?

• Like 2

ABC News Report

A 21-year-old Sydney woman has been sentenced to 15 days in a Thailand jail for falsely accusing a local taxi driver of assaulting her.

The woman, whose name has not been released, told Thai police she was the victim of an assault early on Sunday on the resort island of Phuket.

Phuket Provincial Court sources confirmed the woman initially told the officers she become separated from her boyfriend in a nightclub area of Patong early on Sunday morning.

She said she was taking a taxi back to her resort when the driver picked up two other men.

She alleged he then drove to a secluded area and assaulted her while the other men held her down.

Afterwards, she said they took her passport and cash.

Phuket police interviewed the woman over two days.

They say she confessed to fabricating the story after security camera footage revealed she had been safely taken back to her resort by a motorbike taxi driver.

After confessing to giving false evidence the woman was detained and held in a local cell.

The woman faced the court on Friday in the company of Australian consular officials.

Deputy Superintendent of the Phuket Kathu district police station, Colonel Sermphan Sirikong, told a local newspaper the allegations had the potential to harm Phuket's standing as a holiday destination.

"It's sad that tourists have to lie about this kind of thing," he said.

"It could damage Phuket's tourism industry."

AAP

Sydney woman jailed in Phuket over false assault claim

Something doesn't ring true with this. What are the results of the medical examination, the 1st step in an allegded rape allegation or didn't the police have one conducted?

The woman was interviewed for 2 days over the incident, did she finally give into the pressure and intimidation by the police? She says she got a cab which I would pressume was the car type as he apparently picked up another two men. Then it appears that someone on a motor bike has given her a lift back to the hotel after the incident. What did the hotel staff have to say about her emotional state when she arrived back, was she distressed? Does she still have her passport which was taken? I am sure that the embassy can confirm this as she may now require a travel document to leave.

"It is sad that tourists have to lie about this sort of thing" Col Sermphan said. Is he saying that tourists are liars and this sort of thing doesn't happen in Thailand and the taxi industry is clean and all above board?

I am not taking sides here but it just doesn't ring right to me.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8484395/sydney-woman-jailed-over-false-claim

Back on topic. The boyfriend is lucky her allegations were not levelled against him, and she stuck to the false story. He could have been in for a real tough time.

Also, another motive may have been to explain all the damage in the room, in an attempt to not have to pay for it.

I didn't hear about that bit, what is the story there, the damaged room I guess the boyfriend will be charged with this and join her in jail.

In my opinion, IF all this is true. Then her sentence is far too lenient, she has accused innocent men of violating her, and robbing her, yet she receives only 15 days jail, and deportation.

I would have thought a much longer custodial sentence would have been appropriate for the heinous false accusations of innocent men. Their whole lives could have changed because of this.

Something doesn't ring true with this. What are the results of the medical examination, the 1st step in an allegded rape allegation or didn't the police have one conducted?

The woman was interviewed for 2 days over the incident, did she finally give into the pressure and intimidation by the police? She says she got a cab which I would pressume was the car type as he apparently picked up another two men. Then it appears that someone on a motor bike has given her a lift back to the hotel after the incident. What did the hotel staff have to say about her emotional state when she arrived back, was she distressed? Does she still have her passport which was taken? I am sure that the embassy can confirm this as she may now require a travel document to leave.

"It is sad that tourists have to lie about this sort of thing" Col Sermphan said. Is he saying that tourists are liars and this sort of thing doesn't happen in Thailand and the taxi industry is clean and all above board?

I am not taking sides here but it just doesn't ring right to me.

http://news.ninemsn....ver-false-claim

Why can't people just accept these things happen, and have to question everything because it is against a westerner?

I'm not a psychologist, nor am I a woman, but I have come across this type of false accusation before. For some women it seems they do it unpremeditatedly, following some sort of rejection. That's as far as I'd care to go with the reasoning, and I don't wish to find excuses for such behaviour, but nor do I find the "hang-'em-high" mentality helpful - the girl got off lightly with fifteen days, and for that she should be thankful, in my opinion.

In my opinion, IF all this is true. Then her sentence is far too lenient, she has accused innocent men of violating her, and robbing her, yet she receives only 15 days jail, and deportation.

I would have thought a much longer custodial sentence would have been appropriate for the heinous false accusations of innocent men. Their whole lives could have changed because of this.

Exactly, a false rape allegation for me would be worst thing to be accused of, mud sticks and not everyone would stand by you, I agree that false accusers should be dealt with very harshly, as harshly as the sentence they're "attacker" would've got.

Wonder why she did this, maybe to collect 850 baht compensation for the rape, can't figure, no wonder some Thai's don't like farangs. They should have given here at least a couple months for the trouble and making up a lie, trying to incriminate 3 Thai men.blink.png

False accusers should get the same 'time' as those she accused would get if they were convicted. X 3 for punitive damages - wilful and malicious. and X 3 because she accused 3 - good 'holiday' for her - she won't do it again.

I have know Larry since he first arrived years and years ago with his dad.

They started Phuket.com and back then to get email we all had phuket.com email address and he would log in and retrieve emails twice a day!!!

They are very well established in Phuket an as far as i l know he is not paid

He is one of the good guys here

How can this woman have a british passport if she is an aussie.

Seems that there is a typical aussie brit basher at work.

lungron.

I am British and also have NZ and Australian citizenship

as to the case;

my take,

she went out with her BF, they started drinking and he started talking to thai bar girls,

she got mad and drunk and to get even with him took 1-3 thai boys back and had her time with them.

Later woke up, realized what she did an to not make her BF mad, trashed the room and made it all up.

How can this woman have a british passport if she is an aussie.

Seems that there is a typical aussie brit basher at work.

lungron.

Lungron

Try commas and question marks in yr pnctuashn? May I ask what a 'typical aussie (sp) brit basher' is? Whilst most of the world has bastardised our language, you excel! And have the cheek to have a go! She's from the UK - lived in Oz enough time to get PR and citizenship!....I bow to your supreme knowledge! Cry wolf, old story! I spend too much time watching Law and Order SVU in Thailand! Rape is rape, underage, violent, unagreed is rape and there are 1000's of victims every day. To 'cry' rape, when you've been stupid and made a mistake, your own mistake, is disgusting. Enough said!

Absolutely to lenient, I just read a story about a teenager that has spent the last 10 years in prison, because his accuser confessed that she had lied about the whole thing. And now he is out and trying to get back into his life.

She received over 1 million Dollars in aid and the young man was striped of his youth and maybe his opportunity to play in the NFL.

She should get a penalty akin to the rapist would have gotten. bah.gif

Edited by cougar52

She has brought a few Thai men into disrepute. It must be horrendous being questioned by the Police for something unfounded.

She has brought her country into disrepute, hence I am looking forward to seeing her name in the Media in Australia tomorrow.

She is a danger to mankind, and I hope she is given a very wide berth on her home territory.

She has abused man hours from her embassy and the Thai police.

She has done nothing for her own gender.

I hope she suffers for a very long time.

Very well said. I agree wholeheartedly.

• Like 1

ABC News Report

A 21-year-old Sydney woman has been sentenced to 15 days in a Thailand jail for falsely accusing a local taxi driver of assaulting her.

The woman, whose name has not been released, told Thai police she was the victim of an assault early on Sunday on the resort island of Phuket.

Why would they not release her name? The whole world should hear of this b**** who falsely cries rape.