Tipping In Phuket

snamos

I always give the standard 15% and maybe a little more if the service is very good. I couldn't enjoy the meal otherwise. I figure that if i can afford to eat in a restaurant than I am a lot better off than the poor server who is probably making less per month than I spend in a week. I still tip if there is a service charge as that rarely goes to the servers. The owners usually keep that as "reimbursement" for the salary they pay they staff.

Service charge shouldn't apply to restaurants. Should be reserved to hotels.

I'm all for tipping but when 10% is already added to the bill, I'm less inclined to leave anything behind.

I'll go get my own food from the kitchen and bring it to the table myself if that's what their charging 10% for.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always give the standard 15% and maybe a little more if the service is very good. I couldn't enjoy the meal otherwise. I figure that if i can afford to eat in a restaurant than I am a lot better off than the poor server who is probably making less per month than I spend in a week. I still tip if there is a service charge as that rarely goes to the servers. The owners usually keep that as "reimbursement" for the salary they pay they staff.

Service charge shouldn't apply to restaurants. Should be reserved to hotels.

I'm all for tipping but when 10% is already added to the bill, I'm less inclined to leave anything behind.

I'll go get my own food from the kitchen and bring it to the table myself if that's what their charging 10% for.

I do not know about that mate, in some countries not here the price they charge for hotels and eating in them and using there services they should give me a 10% discount

I'm an ex-back-packer and I always tip.

Indeed, especially the Tuk-Tuk drivers.

Actually, yes.

The only time I ever use a tuk-tuk is when I'm buying a bunch of motor-bike parts in Phuket Town and it's too bulky to bring back to Chalong on the bike.

Always found the tuk-tuk drivers from Phuket Town very personable and price reasonable, so, usualy tip them when they get to Baan KB.