Hit And Run

I was slowing down about 20m from a red light at an intersection in downtown Bangkok, and some guy comes flying pass in the other lane and side swipes my car. He then floors it and drives right through the red light (been red for a good 5 seconds), lucky he missed the green light cars. Wife got the 4 digits of the license plate and I know color of car and roughly year and manufacturer (semi pimped out late 80s grey Nissan maybe Toyota).

There is a police booth right at the intersection so we pulled over right away and of course he has seen nothing...he says that there are cameras in the area, and tells us to go to the nearest police station, which we did. A guy from our insurance company met us there. We gave the police the info. Insurance guy says they will probably not be able to find the guy, so we will have to pay 1000 "no other party" excess and accept fault (he said this will not make our premiums go up in future??).

Apparently the plate numbers are no good because we didn't see the 2 Thai alphabets at the start, and "the cameras probably don't record"

Is it really this easy to just hit and run? I don't really care about the money (1000baht), and it's a bit of a pain having to bring the car in for paint, but the thing that bothers me is that there is a nutter driving around hitting people, and run red lights to get away, and the police don't seem to give a sh*t....hopefully next time it's not a kid crossing the street or something.

Its cheaper for him to run if he is not insured, the amount of runners in cars from impact with motor bikes are staggering and very sad and sometimes leaving dying/dead people behind.

Also Saturday night, drinking & driving perhaps?

Would a dash cam have saved the day for you? I just mounted one in my car and it records everything that happens in front of the bonnet in 15min loops and start over again. Total cost 1600 bath.

At least wife and you are okay and only minor damage to your car done, and you can hope his car is more damaged than yours as he deserves it.

I bought mine in Tukcom Pattaya, cheapest model I could find, cam is 990 bath, sd card 16gb 600 bath.

Yes sadly you have the cable going from the cam to cigarette lighter, so when you start the car it will start automatically and visa versa when stopping the car.

There is a whole topic about dash cams in Pattaya forum which sort of convinced me getting one as well.

• Like 1

I bought mine in Tukcom Pattaya, cheapest model I could find, cam is 990 bath, sd card 16gb 600 bath.

Yes sadly you have the cable going from the cam to cigarette lighter, so when you start the car it will start automatically and visa versa when stopping the car.

There is a whole topic about dash cams in Pattaya forum which sort of convinced me getting one as well.

Seems like a good idea, Thanks.wai.gif

Its cheaper for him to run if he is not insured, the amount of runners in cars from impact with motor bikes are staggering and very sad and sometimes leaving dying/dead people behind.

Would a dash cam have saved the day for you? I just mounted one in my car and it records everything that happens in front of the bonnet in 15min loops and start over again. Total cost 1600 bath.

At least wife and you are okay and only minor damage to your car done, and you can hope his car is more damaged than yours as he deserves it.

A dash cam?

That is certainly what I want in my car.

Where might I obtain one?

A dash cam?

That is certainly what I want in my car.

Where might I obtain one?

Yes I would be very interested too.

Dash cameras doesn't help much. In the night you will not see the numberplate. The best thing is to drive a old strong clunker. Never understand why in Thailand peaple want drive all those new fancy plastic boxes. A 30 year old big clunker is the best.