What Is The Story With Isaan People And Leo Beer.

ShanePashen

Just got back from 2 weeks with new wife and in laws, spent many a time in Isaan restaurants.

Which is great as I love BBQ larb sticky rice etc, really good food.

I normally drink Chang classic no ice.

But everywhere I turned I saw Leo, I was served Leo with ice, wasn't even asked.

straight from the drinks cart into my glass.

And after a while I actually liked it!

I saw some amazing sites as well, guys smashed out of their minds on Leo, almost comatose drunk.

Singing, talking shit, trying to hit on my wife in front of me.. I think.

In one restaurant I saw a guy whip his two kids with a bamboo cane, not really badly, but enough that if you did it in Oz, CSA would take your kids away and you'd be arrested. Nobody even batted an eyelid when this happened, I was horrified.

The whole thing was a real eye opener for me.

Now I am a Beer & ice drinking Homo, is there any hope for me.

hang my head in shame

Leo is the closest to real beer you can get here......

I agree, preferably cold enough to have without ice.

I gravitated from Heineken (too gassy) to Singha (OK) to Chang (had a few bad experiences with that) to Archa (didn't like that) to LEO.

Leo is a much better brew than Chang. Serving any beer with ice in Isaan is usual since small bottles, chilled mugs and refrigeration isn't always available. Only whiny Aussies show their panties about this... unless they have assimilated the lifestyle. Makes a bottle last longer too and slows the rate of inebriation.

Drinking Leo right now, 2nd best of the local beers for me. Chang draught is my number one, no hangover. Think I will be drinking a lot from now on, seems the rains have arrived. Jim

The rains have arrived here as well.

I drink Archa, because it is the cheapest and I conform with my Thai relatives and friends, because that is all they can afford.

I do like Leo but if I had to choose (amongst Thai beers) Chang Export is for me.

But because I'm versatile I can drink Archa and fit in with the locals.

Cheers!drunk.gif

Leo is crap and guaranteed to give a big headache hangover next day. CHEMICALS. whistling.gif

Each to their own. 5 long necks no headache.

You only need one neck, go for a check up, with necks like that that you will bump your head. sick.gif

Leo is crap and guaranteed to give a big headache hangover next day. CHEMICALS. whistling.gif

You only need one neck, go for a check up, with necks like that that you will bump your head. sick.gif

Stick to driving and not drinking

Stick to driving and not drinking

Loosen up laugh.png , there are times for a laugh. laugh.png Not many l concede. laugh.png
  • Like 1

Just had a giggle reading that Transam....reminded me of a mate back in Oz whose (one of many) nickname was "seven heads", reason being was that his neck was so large it could've supported seven heads. cheesy.gif

Just had a giggle reading that Transam....reminded me of a mate back in Oz whose (one of many) nickname was "seven heads", reason being was that his neck was so large it could've supported seven heads. cheesy.gif

Yep, a laugh a day helps us work, rest and play. ( If you haven't got a Mars Bar ). biggrin.png

Chang gives me a super hangover and I don't like Singha. The only one left in the local selection is Leo. My favorite watering hole is an outside bar and they only have big bottles, so it is ice in the beer for me, I can drink Archa but it is not stocked where I drink. My number one is Leo with Archa second.

• Like 1

yes comma police are out. Although I really do love the charcoal bbq, oxt tongue my favourite, and larb, also those curries with fish sce instead of coconut milk.

And I was the most anti beer with ice person you could meet, but it really grew on me.

I'm not sure if it was the atmosphere or not.

I also came to love that smoky semi dried meat on string, almost a bit like jerky, absolutely delicious.

One final point, Thai inlaws love to order food, and by god for small people can they eat, and drink.

Especially when I was picking up the tab.

I'm 6'1 a bit overweight at the moment, about 110Kg's

and they could easily eat more than me.

yes comma police are out. Although I really do love the charcoal bbq, oxt tongue my favourite, and larb, also those curries with fish sce instead of coconut milk.

And I was the most anti beer with ice person you could meet, but it really grew on me.

I also came to love that smoky semi dried meat on string, almost a bit like jerky, absolutely delicious.

One final point, Thai inlaws love to order food, and by god for small people can they eat, and drink.

If it's free, nobody stops eating. whistling.gif

If it's free, nobody stops eating. whistling.gif

its not the eating which annoys me, its the still ordering of food, that can't be eaten because everyone is so full.

thats pure greed, and shows no class or respect for food, or starving people in the world or my wallet.