Bikes In Classifieds With No Greenbook But Have Plate!

Wonder what members think of the possible consequences.

I have seen a few bikes listed recently which state no greenbook but legal import papers and that it is no problem riding like this.

However pics of the bike show it with a legitimate looking white plate.

If it's ok to ride on import docs why add a false plate or am I missing something.

Also does anyone know the precise legal consequences of putting a false plate on an unregistered bike?

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys

With or without green book I am looking for a nice cheap bike to buy in Thailand. Either a sport or cruiser type. I like the NC30 . In repsol colors they look good. I prefer a bike with atleast 400cc and up. Maybe a honda shadow 400 or 600 will be nice too. I dont care about the year, once the bike is in good working order. The yamaha 850TDM looks good too. I dont want to spend more than 50,000 baht. Anyone knows of a bike for this price let me know. I am in Songkhla .

Edited by domnam

To attract the punters I would think.

IMHO I would not touch ANY bike that did not have a green book but that is me.

If I was buying a bike with a green book I would look the book over to make sure it matches before I paid any money to a dealer or private.

If it all seems legal then I would suggest that I pay a deposit and when the green book is in my name I will pay the rest.

To attract the punters I would think..

definitely!

If I was buying a bike with a green book I would look the book over to make sure it matches before I paid any money to a dealer or private

Even if everything looks fine, and the frame and engine numbers match the dogy book, it can be impossible to change name or even renew tax!

FIRST: Make a copy of the book or bring the book to a DLT to check. Check is free of charge and they will tell you, if the book is ok for them and not blacklisted!

If the (dogdy) book is ok, never ever bring the bike yourself to any DLT for transfer of ownership or any other things!

The guys at the DLT aren't stupid. If they realize, the book is dodgy (which 90 % are) and you don't know "the right people", they will "blacklist" the book!

And that was it....

I had this problem some years ago and it was either easy nor cheap, to "unblacklist" the book.

But cheaper than to organize a new (dodgy) book anyway.tongue.png

Let an office do the job! They will be able to do it, without showing the bike at the DLT.

Because they know "the right people", .

Edited by roban

people do put 'retired' plates on imports to avoid problems, work if the BIB are only glancing, but get you into more trouble if they do a proper stop.

roban - yeah, knowing the right people definitely help in this stuff Saves time and $$$$$

But personally, if it's not plated and with the proper book, I would just walk away. Not worth the trouble.

I bought a bike with GB from a dealer. The dealer just took commission for arranging the deal. I lost the book and the dealer has been unable to contact the Thai seller. The transfer was never recorded.

I could state these facts with a photocopy of my Work Permit and my passport.

Or just wait to somehow reach the seller, then pay him for a replacement book?

Any other alternatives?

I'm happy to end it by accepting a few grand for the 150 cc stroker. It might even get broken for parts?

Cheers!

Chris

I would never buy a vehicle without a green book. If I bought one with a green book I would insist that the seller goes with me to the registration office to transfer ownership. Only hand over the cash after transfer has been done. Just walk away if there are any complications.

This green book issue had been debated many times here. You really should ask yourself, do you really want to own a vehicle that is not legal to be on the road, and are you willing to deal with the consequence of that, which is having your motorcycle confiscated?

No green book means it has not been properly registered, so it is not legal, plate or no plate, tax sticker or no tax sticker. Would you ride an illegal vehicle in your home country? Many will jump in and say having paid import papers makes it legal, the simple fact is it doesn't.

You may ride it for years without a book and be stopped many times and pay the bribes, but it only takes one police man who doesn't like you or had a fight with his wife or wants your bike or (despite people on this forum saying it is not possible) he is just an honest cop who prides himself on upholding the law, and they take your bike from you. Would you just shrug your shoulders and say "well I had it coming since it was illegal" or would you come on this forum and complain how some "corrupt" cops stole your bike from you just because you didn't have a green book?

exactly, good and clear statement

To attract the punters I would think..

definitely!

If I was buying a bike with a green book I would look the book over to make sure it matches before I paid any money to a dealer or private

Even if everything looks fine, and the frame and engine numbers match the dogy book, it can be impossible to change name or even renew tax!

FIRST: Make a copy of the book or bring the book to a DLT to check. Check is free of charge and they will tell you, if the book is ok for them and not blacklisted!

If the (dogdy) book is ok, never ever bring the bike yourself to any DLT for transfer of ownership or any other things!

The guys at the DLT aren't stupid. If they realize, the book is dodgy (which 90 % are) and you don't know "the right people", they will "blacklist" the book!

And that was it....

I had this problem some years ago and it was either easy nor cheap, to "unblacklist" the book.

But cheaper than to organize a new (dodgy) book anyway.tongue.png

Let an office do the job! They will be able to do it, without showing the bike at the DLT.

Because they know "the right people", .

I have to disagree with this." never ever bring the bike yourself to any DLT for transfer of ownership or any other things!" Of course if you want to do things the wrong way then this ^^ applies. Transfering requires a proper inspection to assure the buyer gets what they pay for. If you avoid this when you go to sell you may have more problems...