Poll: Do You Fear Posting Because Many Posts Are Hostile?

PaullyW

Do you fear posting because many posts are hostile?  

141 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In fact, there is more people and more people on forums who goes straight with insult, just cause their point of view is different. And more, they don't developp them criticism.

I don't know if it's a Lack of education, a huge frustation from school or something happened when they were child. But there is no way to improve the communication with slang or agressivity. Anyway, don't need to answer those guys... Or street solving by showing disrespect

Or maybe they are just responding to some of the crap written on TV, and without slang old chap a language would never develop....further I believe you are getting insults and sarcasm mixed up..There are a lot of sarcastic/dry sense of humour posters on TV

Great sarcasm, biting wit is a great British tradition al la Oscar Wilde and simlilar...in the modern day this tradition has been carried on by the likes of Jezze Clarkson....

Yeah right

Sorry the British gay bashing brigade we have here? Making reference to Oscar Wilde? cheesy.gif

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fact, there is more people and more people on forums who goes straight with insult, just cause their point of view is different. And more, they don't developp them criticism.

I don't know if it's a Lack of education, a huge frustation from school or something happened when they were child. But there is no way to improve the communication with slang or agressivity. Anyway, don't need to answer those guys... Or street solving by showing disrespect

Or maybe they are just responding to some of the crap written on TV, and without slang old chap a language would never develop....further I believe you are getting insults and sarcasm mixed up..There are a lot of sarcastic/dry sense of humour posters on TV

Great sarcasm, biting wit is a great British tradition al la Oscar Wilde and simlilar...in the modern day this tradition has been carried on by the likes of Jezze Clarkson....

Yeah right

Sorry the British gay bashing brigade we have here? Making reference to Oscar Wilde? cheesy.gif

What gay bashing brigade... Please direct me to any content....whether Oscar Wilde was gay or not has absolutely no relevance to his literary output and his biting wit...

Yeah right

What gay bashing brigade... Please direct me to any content....whether Oscar Wilde was gay or not has absolutely no relevance to his literary output and his biting wit...

coffee1.gifsmile.png

Yeah right

on many occasions I have been called a lesbian here in a very derogatory manner

The one thing that bores me so much about internet forums of all types is that by page 4 of a thread there is always an idiot turning differences of opinion into a personal vendetta and dragging the thread way off topic.

And so when I have spare time and find myself reading Thai visa.com and feel the urge to express my opinion I think twice because there will always some moron who might not agree with my point of view and instead of articulating an intelligent counter opinion will simply turn to the lowest common denominator of internet forums and attempt an insult.

That said - the colourful topics bring out the best and worst in people and provide excellent entertainment, they also out some grade A1 idiots, the odd dash of spectacular arrogance and bigotry.

Opinions are like an anus. Everyone has one, everyone else's stinks - but those who get hostile because they think someone else's post stinks only succeed in making themselves look like a toss-pot. Bring back the +1 and also the -1 I say !!...

The one thing that bores me so much about internet forums of all types is that by page 4 of a thread there is always an idiot turning differences of opinion into a personal vendetta and dragging the thread way off topic.

And so when I have spare time and find myself reading Thai visa.com and feel the urge to express my opinion I think twice because there will always some moron who might not agree with my point of view and instead of articulating an intelligent counter opinion will simply turn to the lowest common denominator of internet forums and attempt an insult.

That said - the colourful topics bring out the best and worst in people and provide excellent entertainment, they also out some grade A1 idiots, the odd dash of spectacular arrogance and bigotry.

Opinions are like an anus. Everyone has one, everyone else's stinks - but those who get hostile because they think someone else's post stinks only succeed in making themselves look like a toss-pot. Bring back the +1 and also the -1 I say !!...

Calm down old chap. There's no need to get hostile and insult the idiots.

It's only the interwebby thing.

How is someone calling you a lesbian in a very derogatory manner, gay bashing?

When can I join the long list of people you ignore ?

How many times shall I ask you ?

Or please people ignored by Bendix, do tell me how you go there?

You would make my day

Thank you

and you accused me of being a native in this very thread....should I throw my toys out the cot and go running to a mummy..."anaeliane" is picking on me....she called me a native.....

Please grow up....Based on some of the comments you make, one suspects you walk around with a very big chip on your shoulder...

and you accused me of being a native in this very thread....should I throw my toys out the cot and go running to a mummy..."anaeliane" is picking on me....she called me a native.....

Please grow up....Based on some of the comments you make, one suspects you walk around with a very big chip on your shoulder...

Again it seems that none of our opinions are converging and i realized that I constantly make your life harder

This is I can assure you without any will to hurt you or anyone that I called you a native or that I have offended on other issues

I am sorry my English is not good enough not to offend you

So really please ignore me

Thanks

Strange thing to call a man!

And you would never do that!

I had to vote 'Yes' because you two and a couple of others are the biggest bullies on the forum.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

I do not fear posting, but many a time I start typing out some witty riposte or sharing my wisdom, only to stop half way through and and say to myself "Why bother?" and promptly exit the thread.

• Like 2

You would make my day

Thank you

I have noone on ignore, to my knowledge. Why would I? I enjoy watching people make fools of themselves, and join in with gay abandon.

But it's an intersting psychological standpoint: asking to be ignored. I'd hate to get to the roots of that.

Wouldn't it be more simple to ignore those who annoy you?

You would make my day

Thank you

I have noone on ignore, to my knowledge. Why would I? I enjoy watching people make fools of themselves, and join in with gay abandon.

But it's an intersting psychological standpoint: asking to be ignored. I'd hate to get to the roots of that.

I tried that but I end up reading the comments in quotes anyway

I am asking you to ignore me so you don't have to say on a daily basis how much you dislike what I write

It's a win win situation, you don't get annoyed at me "a crashing bore with a whining sense of self-pity and injustice"

And i don't have to read negative comments months after months.

I will obviously not comment your posts, so you won't read anything from me in quotes.

Life would be so much easier for both of us that way.

thank you

Again I don't get what you are saying. You talk about 'imposing the majority opinion" on forum members. How exactly can anyone, especially on an internet forum, impose their beliefs or opinions on anyone else? Unless of course that person is easily lead and doesn't have the strength of their convictions. I'm sorry, but in my opinion your comment carries no weight at all.

it's call bashing

when a dozen of people put their wit together to destroy someone's image

It's just a new form of bullying

At school some kids commit suicide after mass bullying on facebook

Nothing to "grow balls" about

It's such a sad comment on society that kids are brought up to be so emotionally weak that words on a computer screen drive them to take their own lives. I believe the loony left liberal school policies in the west are to blame for this. Everyone wins and no one loses; kids not having an x marked on incorrect work for fear of them loosing self esteem etc. etc. Bullys have always been around and always will be, only way to deal with them is to confront them.

Plenty of keyboard warriors here. But they are everywhere.

On the internet we are all 7 foot 400 pounds of muscle and have 17 masters degrees.

Often when I post, there is atleast 1 person who tries to attack at a silly angle. But it actully makes it a little more fun IMO, its a good laugh.

For example, I asked in the motor section what is the best thing to do as someone pumped my car in the parking lot..... Someone responded "it amazes me how people who drive cars do not know what to do".

Thanks for the help bro.

Strange thing to call a man!

And you would never do that!

I had to vote 'Yes' because you two and a couple of others are the biggest bullies on the forum.

Seriously though Thommo . . . you too?

You think there are bullies on an anonymous webforum? I'm intrigued - genuinely - that you would think so.

And to repeat - I completely get aneliane's point that online bullying has caused suicides amongst teenagers, but that is ALWAYS when the victim knows the attackers and it is just an extension of real bullying done using an online medium.

But how can anyone seriously feel bullied on Thaivisa when most of us don't even know who the others are? We're dealing with words - some of the pointed and barbed, for sure - but they're just words expressed to anonymous entities, most of whom will never meet each other in real life.

Im genuinely puzzled by this.

• Like 1

You would make my day

Thank you

Just have to love the mention of "gay abandon" in a stream that started with aneliane complaining about being called a lesbian in a very derogatory manner.

Your sarcasm knows no bounds bendix!! cheesy.gif

Seriously though Thommo . . . you too?

You think there are bullies on an anonymous webforum? I'm intrigued - genuinely - that you would think so.

And to repeat - I completely get aneliane's point that online bullying has caused suicides amongst teenagers, but that is ALWAYS when the victim knows the attackers and it is just an extension of real bullying done using an online medium.

There's a little group that follow their victims from thread to thread, it's bullying or stalking of some sort.

I'm not particularly bothered by it, but is certainly unpleasant and anti-social behavior.

I also find it a bit funny that two of the worst offenders come on this thread to complain about their own behaviour.

Have to agree with Bendix about his point of how someone can feel threatened on an anonymous forum. Barbed fonts won't hurt anything more than your pride! TV is actually a very well-run forum (this isn't crawling Mods!) where in general, serious topics are kept in check, and pages like General and The Pub are relaxed a bit, but not to the "free-for-all" state that certain other forums are.

If people are that sensitive to a bit of a variation on what they believe is the gospel, then you really shouldn't be here. Or if you do decide to express your points of view, brace yourselves for the resonses!

• Like 1

There are forum rules when posts become more about personal attacks, flaming, baiting, etc. I think the current system works well enough. If some people are too emotionally delicate to cope with this already controlled situation, well ... so what? Nobody is forcing anyone to hang out here.

Edited by Jingthing

Which British gay bashing brigade?

Spot on.

If people can't differentiate between biting wit or dry cynicism and chose to interpret it instead as insults or bullying, that is their problem not mine.

Plus, of course, the idea of being bullied on an anonymous forum is palpable nonsense. And, before aneliane rushes to cite the very real cases of cyber bullying that happens to teenagers, this is very different. In those cases, the victims - and their attackers - are known to each other and it is just an extension of real life bulllying using a different medium.

How anyone can be intimidated on an anonymous forum is beyond me.

I am regularly called arrogant, facistic, egocentric and - in some cases evil on this forum. Instead of being offended and squealing like a child, I usually offer my congratulations on them being so perceptive, and move on cheerily.

Edited to add a new insult I received just seconds ago from our cheery French friend; 'cretin' Thanks mademoiselle.

Who is wit and what is he biting?