Meeting People.

Burbridge

Hi people I have been in Thailand for 5 year and Bangers for three, I struggle to meet any one other than tourists!

My problem is I work rotational and can not do weekly meets.

Is there any groups that would accept a young Geordie living In Bangkok but only there for 50% of the time?

Try going fishing, seriously you will meet nice people there. That is if you like fishing. Other then that just try to make some friends i don't care if friends are not available at times its normal, im pretty sure many are like that.

Try these:

http://www.meetup.com/cities/th/bangkok/

http://www.internations.org/bangkok-expats

TV will be having a party in Bangkok in the fall. If you are around, stop by for sure. I've met many nice folk at these parties who have become some of my closest friends....Raro excluded. laugh.png

When I lived in Bangkok many years ago, I also met quite a few nice people while drinking at various bars.

Do you golf? Scuba? Play tennis? ?????

• Like 1

I've met quite a few people and among those, have made a number of lasting friendships through several local forums including ThaiVisa.

I will usually find myself becoming aware of a particular member through reading their posts on the forum that seem well thought out and well written with a touch of humor tossed in.

I'll try to establish some direct correspondence via PM and if all goes well, try getting together for a coffee or a beer.

There are several Bangkok forums that have regular meet-up's, sometimes bar crawls if that's your thing.

Try a sports club like Southerners if Rugby, Cricket, Golf, etc interests you.

If it's football, try a few of the local pubs - The Londoner, The Crossbar, The Robin Hood etc all have football teams.

Londoner and The Green Parrot have golf societies.

If you like tennis, squash place an add on Thai Visa, you'll find that there are plenty of people looking for a game.

All of these places will be used to people who are in and out of Bangkok

You also have the Chambers of Commerce and Bangkok Young Professionals that have meet ups, so there really isn't any shortage of places to meet new people.

Seems Inter Nations is having a meeting tonight! 135 people have signed up so far.

InterNations Bangkok June Get-Together

Date: Wednesday Jun 20, 2012 18:30

Host: Pamela Hongsakul and Daniel Santantoniou - InterNations Ambassadors Bangkok

Find yourself a boozer that has a team that plays in one of the pool leagues or darts leagues or quiz leagues or synchronized swimming leagues.... whatever activity interests you and you're not completely hopeless at. They're usually looking for players and it's a good way to meet and spend some time with half a dozen (hopefully) like-minded individuals. Spend 10 mins on Google and you'll have a list of bars that are involved.

Find a bar that has a farang owner/operator or manager and if he seems friendly enough have a chat. Not only can they introduce you to some of their regulars, if you get on well with them you have just found a friend that you never have to call to make arrangements to meet, you just swing by whenever you feel like it and 9 times out of ten they'll be there. Perfect if you're coming and going a lot...

You could do a lot worse than dropping in at the Pickled Liver on Sukhumvit 7/1. The gaffer Nick from Sheffield is a very nice guy with a decent pub that would make a great local. I'm pretty sure he has a team in one of the pool leagues, maybe darts too. Sadly I think they dropped out of the synchronized swimming league, so if that was what had caught your eye you'd better look elsewhere mate...

The Irish Pub Finnegan's Bangkok, 23/1 Sukhumvit Soi 4

Lot of Brittish expats

++ prices?? Not so many expats i reckon. coffee1.gif

It is not a girlie bar and you won't find any teachers but there are expats. coffee1.gif

They do have happy hours wink.png

Edited by FritsSikkink

Thanks for the ideas guys and I hope

To meet you out and about. But it seems all meetings take place in bars, which is to be expected. So what you suggest is go out and start talking to randoms?

I would do that but a lot of the "local" expats think your a piss head or think they are supiror. There must be a group of hard working young lads out there?????

Edited by Burbridge

Sports...not bars. Find an activity you like. Having shared interests makes getting to know strangers easier. Doing something together makes starting a conversation easier. This is really very basic stuff. I lived in Bangkok for more than 30 years and it didn't seem to be a problem. In Chiang Rai it took a little work but even here it is not that hard.

Hi Burbridge/All,

I'm new to this forum having lurked for a while. Having been to Thailand/Bangkok quite a few times I've just moved here more permanently in the last month and would be really keen on any kind of meet, drinks etc...

If anyone is watching the rugby on Saturday that might be a decent shout for a good day out if anyone fancies it.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks for the ideas guys and I hope

To meet you out and about. But it seems all meetings take place in bars, which is to be expected. So what you suggest is go out and start talking to randoms?

I would do that but a lot of the "local" expats think your a piss head or think they are supiror. There must be a group of hard working young lads out there?????

Join a sports club

I have this problem also. It's an even bigger problem being a young Western woman. sad.png

As others have said you need to put yourself out there and look to meet people in ordinary social settings. Sports and social events are the way to do this.

That way you meet normal people as opposed to the nutcases.

Good luck!

Edit: If you are a nutcase then ignore this advice. tongue.png

Edited by smokie36

I have this problem also. It's an even bigger problem being a young Western woman. sad.png

As others have said you need to put yourself out there and look to meet people in ordinary social settings. Sports and social events are the way to do this.

That way you meet normal people as opposed to the nutcases.

Good luck!

Edit: If you are a nutcase then ignore this advice. tongue.png

*ignores* w00t.gif

Sports isn't really my thing but some of the social events look tempting. I just don't wanna turn up looking like Billy No Mates. whistling.gif I do actually have friends but they're all part of one circle and I just wanna branch out a little more.

I know a fair share of under-30 farang women living here. I'd say 50 per cent are content with staying at home with their farang boyfriend here and play the middle-aged housewife, but the other 50 per cent are definitely fun and more sociable.

try couchsurfing.org which pairs locals with travelers.

You can be a guide and/or a host/ess. This could be very fulfilling. I have hosted about 100 people!

The Bkk scene is alive and well if you wish to join their forum.

try couchsurfing.org which pairs locals with travelers.

You can be a guide and/or a host/ess. This could be very fulfilling. I have hosted about 100 people!

The Bkk scene is alive and well if you wish to join their forum.

Couchsurfing is great. If you'd like, OP, come out to the Chilling House Cafe at Cocowalk (by Ratchathewi BTS) tomorrow at 8pm and you'll find maybe 40 other young people to meet. Like I mentioned above, it tends to be 80% backpackers and 20% local residents (both Thai and farang) including people like myself. PM me if you'd like more info. Beer is pretty cheap there, too.

Join the British Club. Lots of activities, sports, and a good bar.

Come by on Tuesday evening around 8 and join the Bangkok Gentlemen Spoofers who meet each week in Churchill Bar for spoof, social intercourse and charity. Membership in BC not required to come join Spoofers on Tuesday evenings.

Edited by Poke