Contaminated Food May Have Killed Canadian Sisters: Phi Phi Island

webfact

I love TV SOMETIMES/// and sometimes not ???

yesterday there was a poster who said something similar to this ... To all you Sherlock Holmes or Bar stools somethings.... why don't you go there and do your own investigation ..... and some other smart ass replied ... yup well that is possible as already 2 posters have offered their services to go there... Duh!!! And guess who that was .. ?Yup me was one of them!! but since nobody can read properly my intention to go was no 1 , to help them in their talks with The local Thais as well as with the rep from the Canadian embassy as they come from a very small town of barely 3,000 people near / in the Canadian Indian Native areas bordering the USA and I am sure their English if not null would be extremely minimalistic.... I also offered this because I am myself French Canadian and a MOTHER so yes comfort even IF from a stranger but from a similar environment and background can be very comforting ... especially one who has lived here and understands the BS of the country which obviously they would have absolutely no clue about ... So based on above /... whoever did come back saying " And what kind of help do you think you could provide ... they don't need a stranger like You ~!!"

Well you are dead wrong and you obviously do not understand our tribe honey.

Anyway , so as for to us (2.. whoever the other person may be ) /// Honestly .... I would love to do it if they called me on day 1 ... cause I can assure you that we (?) would do a f....g hell of a better job than they have ever done in the past and current similar cases

Don't worry, they can take the piss, I was the 'other' that would dedicate my time! Do not feel ashamed with offering your help whilst some pissed up couch potato takes the piss out of you. We all do what we feel is good and necessary in this world!

This is so true Annabel. I don't think any one of us who is really concerned here on this forum can do much more than what has already been done to offer help, where others are simply being sarcastic for no apparent reason. Short person disease or small dick syndrome are possible reasons that come to mind, there's possibly many others. Sure to fly from CM to HKT, PP, would be pointless without the parents being here, please ignore " cannot, PP's got no airport 555 " sort of shit. Talking to Sgt. Plod and telling him what you think should be done would be pointless, Talking to kin if they were here would be excellent, if nothing else, for moral support. Different horses, different courses.

Anyways it's moved on a bit from that picture and is seemingly in the hands of competent personnel. I personally thank you for your input to this topic. Please ignore the naysayer's, I believe some are being given holidays. The big wheel of life just keeps on turning. I'm a devout atheist but I do firmly believe in karma.

Now all I believe we can do is sit back and wait for the verdict which I hope doesn't turn into another 360 + page topic. It drains me too much.

• Like 1

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have said several times, people are targeted and killed verywhere in the world. US has many serial killers. Brtian has serial killers. Europe has serial killers. Bali has them Thailand, however, has none and no farangs ever get murdered in Thailand. They just all commit suicide in some form or fashion.

Yes, serial killing is not a big Asian thing though they have them, including Thailand. In fact, the UK and US seem to produce majority of them. Not sure where you get your news but there are numerous stories of farangs being murdered and in fact, numerous people in jail in Thailand for killing a farang ... Thailand actually rates high in terms of countries when it comes to percentage of the population in jail but I think nobody beats the US. It is also sad the number of farangs who come here who have no job and no real prospect of one in Thailand and then blow all their money or incorrectly believe somebody more than half their age is in love with them only to find themselves depressed and suicidal.

It is very sad that these two girls went to the island to party & holiday and ended up dying but there is absolutely nothing to suggest they were purposely murdered or that there would be any need for a vast conspiracy between police, witnesses, hotel staff and the medical community.

Edited by Nisa

Nisa:

Just read the Scot girl thread. One thing is painfully evident: Thailand cares only about the money. They place money ahead of human life. They will do what ever they can to get foreigners to bring money into their economy and they will do what ever they can to avoid losing influx of foreign money.

My take away was it was about a girl trying to stay long term in Thailand who appears to be working illegally here who couldn't afford to pay her relatively inexpensive hospital bill and now all of a sudden says she wants to leave but can't because the hospital is holding her passport. Also made me curious because in the number of times I have been to the hospital here, I have never once had anybody ask to hold onto my passport before I paid the bill. Also wondered why she just doesn't get another passport since they would definitely issue her one since her passport has been technically stolen according to her ... but owe yea, she has no money but is in a foreign country which also made me wonder how she has a plane ticket to go home (says she is stranded here) but makes no mention of worrying about missing her flight. Funny too how Daddy just can't send her the money Western Union to pay the hospital bill and allow her daughter to not be stranded in some god forsaken foreign land she is being held hostage.

• Like 1

http://yucalandia.wordpress.com/science-health-issues/dengue-fact-sheet/

possibly carrying h1 antibodies from previous h1n1 exposure or vaccinasations (secondary infection).

huge amounts of arsenic in grounwater and also thru various contact.

arsenic kills the bodies ability to fight h1n1 or dengue een at mocerate levels.

1. h1 antibodies

2. Arsenic levels that way exceed levels destroying bodies ability to fight dengue

3. Dengue bite

Nisa:

Just read the Scot girl thread. One thing is painfully evident: Thailand cares only about the money. They place money ahead of human life. They will do what ever they can to get foreigners to bring money into their economy and they will do what ever they can to avoid losing influx of foreign money.

My take away was it was about a girl trying to stay long term in Thailand who appears to be working illegally here who couldn't afford to pay her relatively inexpensive hospital bill and now all of a sudden says she wants to leave but can't because the hospital is holding her passport. Also made me curious because in the number of times I have been to the hospital here, I have never once had anybody ask to hold onto my passport before I paid the bill. Also wondered why she just doesn't get another passport since they would definitely issue her one since her passport has been technically stolen according to her ... but owe yea, she has no money but is in a foreign country which also made me wonder how she has a plane ticket to go home (says she is stranded here) but makes no mention of worrying about missing her flight. Funny too how Daddy just can't send her the money Western Union to pay the hospital bill and allow her daughter to not be stranded in some god forsaken foreign land she is being held hostage.

I thought dad paid waiting for it to clear . . . What does any of that have to do with anything I said?

So she is young and perhaps dramatic because she got sick, others were sick, two chicks she met got sick and died, and the hospital Illegally kept her passport and effectively made her a prisoner on an island she wants to leave.

Oh my God, she over stayed her Visa and heaven forbid that someone is working in Thailand at what can hardly be described as a real 9-5 job without offical papers.

Funny you get all worked up about overstay or working a silly job that may or may not even pay money, but you are laissez faire about restaurants, bars, or people serving bad food, drinks or shrooms or something causing a lot of people to end up in hospital or possibly die.

Why do you have to go to hospital so much in Phi Phi? Get that sick there that often? Do you always go to hospital everywhere you go or do you live in Phi Phi?

Edited by ttelise
  • Like 1

Nisa:

I thought dad paid waiting for it to clear . . . What does any of that have to do with anything I said?

So she is young and perhaps dramatic because she got sick, others were sick, two chicks she met got sick and died, and the hospital Illegally kept her passport and effectively made her a prisoner on an island she wants to leave.

Oh my God, she over stayed her Visa and heaven forbid that someone is working in Thailand at what can hardly be described as a real 9-5 job without offical papers.

Funny you get all worked up about overstay or working a silly job that may or may not even pay money, but you are laissez faire about restaurants, bars, or people serving bad food, drinks or shrooms or something causing a lot of people to end up in hospital or possibly die.

Why do you have to go to hospital so much in Phi Phi? Get that sick there that often? Do you always go to hospital everywhere you go or do you live in Phi Phi?

I am not the least bit worked up but funny how you condemn an entire society while defending this foreigner who clearly dug her own hole and sounds a bit dishonest and/or ignorant.

Edited by Nisa

Nisa:

I am not the least bit worked up but funny how you condemn an entire society while defending this foreigner who clearly dug her own hole and sounds a bit dishonest and/or ignorant.

How do you know when a lawyer is being dishonest? When his mouth moves.

What did she do that was so bad? Go on an adventure while young and without being rich? She is just a kid. Kids make kid like decisions. I guess you never made poor choices when you were young. Not everyone is perfect.

But, yes. Seems like Thailand places more emphasis on money than life and, as a whole, no one accepts responsibilities for their actions in Thailand or should I say, pays for damage to others they may cause by negligent acts.

Turned their head to pedophile and sexual exploitation of women and children for years. Why, because it brought in foreign dollars. Anything to bring in dollars and make sure they keep flowing in.

Don't get me wrong. I am all for capitalism and greed. I am just not afraid to admit it when I see it.

Edited by ttelise
  • Like 1

And Nisa . . . You never answered why you had to go to hospitl so much in Phi Phi? Does everyone just get sick there?

I never said I ever went to the hospital "so much" and certainly never said I have gone to the hospital in Phi Phi. My comments were clearly directed at your slamming all of Thailand based on you reading of one irresponsible girl's claims. And I have never been to a hospital in Thailand that had anything to do with Thailand beyond possibly an ear infection I had. As you must surely be aware, people go to the inexpensive Hospital in Thailand for the most minor of things as opposed to going to a doctor or even clinic that is often the same price with less abilities to deal with ailments or prescriptions. Surely you must also be aware that locals anywhere adjust to contaminants water and food along with ingredients that can make outsiders sick. If you ever want to be happy hear, stop the whining having expectations of how things should be different or like where you come from. Open your eyes to all the beauty and good here and stop wanting to believe and/or focus on every bad thing while discounting the good things.

Thailand is truly Amazing when you consider how much can be learned in terms of being content but amazingly so many people come here and do just the opposite and try to spread their miserable views. If people want Western ways and Western standards and things are done so great there then I can't understand why people like this remain here. These people can't vote and have little to no say in how things are run here and believe it or not, nobody really gives a sh@t what they think because you are simply not that important except for being an irritation and example of constantly complaining foreigners who make fools of themselves.

And Nisa . . . You never answered why you had to go to hospitl so much in Phi Phi? Does everyone just get sick there?

I never said I ever went to the hospital "so much" and certainly never said I have gone to the hospital in Phi Phi. My comments were clearly directed at your slamming all of Thailand based on you reading of one irresponsible girl's claims. And I have never been to a hospital in Thailand that had anything to do with Thailand beyond possibly an ear infection I had. As you must surely be aware, people go to the inexpensive Hospital in Thailand for the most minor of things as opposed to going to a doctor or even clinic that is often the same price with less abilities to deal with ailments or prescriptions. Surely you must also be aware that locals anywhere adjust to contaminants water and food along with ingredients that can make outsiders sick. If you ever want to be happy hear, stop the whining having expectations of how things should be different or like where you come from. Open your eyes to all the beauty and good here and stop wanting to believe and/or focus on every bad thing while discounting the good things.

Thailand is truly Amazing when you consider how much can be learned in terms of being content but amazingly so many people come here and do just the opposite and try to spread their miserable views. If people want Western ways and Western standards and things are done so great there then I can't understand why people like this remain here. These people can't vote and have little to no say in how things are run here and believe it or not, nobody really gives a sh@t what they think because you are simply not that important except for being an irritation and example of constantly complaining foreigners who make fools of themselves.

I read your post wrong. You said been to hospital many time "here" and my tired brain saw it as "there."

I like Thailand for many things, but there are many things I do not like about it. I live in US, but travel about half the year, mostly for surfing or to visit wife's family in Russia. I spend maybe 30 days a year in Thailand and usually just stay there and jump back and forth over the Bali when swell arrives.

I see beauty every day, every where. I live on one of the most beautiful beaches in the world and I would be pissed off at the authorities here if this happened here. I guess I am more about human rights than ignoring what should be changed by focusing only on the beauty.

I think it is good that the bodies are on the way to Canada or already there. Perhaps the family or people close to them read the threads on Thai Visa and realized the urgent need to get an autopsy done in Canada.

We don't know what they will discover or what they can do with what they find out. But I think there will be some piece of mind for the family to know that the results from Canada will not be hampered by politics.

3 years ago my wife and I went on a day boat trip to Phi Phi Island along with 19 other people on the boat. That night we suffered the most severe bout of food poisoning one could imagine. We were bed ridden for 4 days and we found out that 11 other people off the same boat had the same symptoms and suffered severe food poisoning. Luckily my wife is a Nurse and she was able to get some really good drugs for us.

Well may people say watch what you eat but the good food here is one of the reasons I keep coming back. However no more trips to Phi Phi for me.

scot and portuguese were the last people seeing them alive, for what is known.

it cant be ruled out, that the scot or the portuguese guy have anything to do with it. they have to stay anyway until the autopsy has shown there were no drugs/ingested poisoning involved...

for someone seeking to rob foreigners, the canadians might have looked a fair game: perhaps new in the country, new to travel and staying not in a budget place...

Edited by dingdang

I think it's about time, Thai authorities look into, what kind of chemicals are used to spray hotel rooms to get rid of bugs and rats.

This story sounds like the one from Chiang Mai, i hardly think you crap/vomit yourself to death from a mix of brufen and vodkashots, I guess it would also take a rather nasty Tom Yum Goong, to do the same blink.png

Good that the bodies, has not been removed from the room, but someone should lockdown the whole hotel - so that no chemicals stored there goes "missing". Also the booze from the bar they frequented, should be locked down until the source of their death is found...

I think it's a bit late mate. I read somewhere that within a few hours of the bodies being removed, the cleaners were in with buckets of bleach, all spic and span, smelling like a rose, for the next unsuspecting guests. If illicit booze was the culprit I'm sure it's already down the gurgle. ph34r.png

"Thai toxicologists were returning to Phi Phi today to more closely examine the room at the Palms Residence Phi Phi, although other sources said it had been thoroughly cleaned.

It is believed the same team who closely examined the Downtown Inn in Chiang Mai after the deaths of Sarah Carter and several other tourists last year in mysterious, undetermined circumstances are now involved in the latest investigation. "

If they are bringing the team from Chiang Mai Sounds like they do suspect a link.

They cleaned a crime (not natural causes) scene? Unvelievable!! Hotel could do that if they wanted to remove traces of chemical evidence- but how we're they allowed to do this.? Also wonder if this is the same team that "lost" the blood samples last time.

If it is the same bed bug killing chemical they suspect killed at least some of the others in Chiangmai Mai I read it doesn't stay in the body long enough to be detected. It said the symptoms were unmistakable as this. Vommitting then fainting symptoms of it does sound plausible as to why 2 people couold be that sick and not get help in time. If the Scottish friend was also ill "shortly"? before they were found, as she in their room or staying in same hotel?

(To the person who said no one ever died of a poisionous mushroom someone in Australia did in the last week- I'm not suggesting this only saying that they are that dangerous)

Phi Phi and the other islands in that region (not Phuket, it's too far gone) should be declared national parks. All local residents and commercial activities should be forced to leave and compensated fairly for their investments. Included, could be some nearby coastal areas. The region could then slowly revert to its natural state. Heck, turtles might even return to lay eggs.

Tourists could stay at nearby venues, such as Krabi, Ao Nang, Lanta - and visit by boats - similar to how such things are done at the Galapados Islands off Ecuador.

When those islands are un-commercialized, they'll be a magnet for thousands of nature loving tourists, and will generate more revenue than they currently do in their gaudy commercial environmentally harmful manifestation.

If current trends continue, the islands will continue to degenerate environmentally, trash and toxins will continue to accumulate, local flora fauna, corals and sea will continue to degrade.

Those islands could never support more than a few huts with hominids, yet now they're burdened with crass commercialization and all the toxins, trash and degradation that people bring to such places.

Can you tell us what medicine they gave you and did it have the same effect on you as it did with Chalerm?

Seems the bodies are being flown back to Canada:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/06/20/thailand-sisters-bodies.html

The bodies of two Canadian sisters who died in Thailand are expected to arrive home Thursday, a relative says.

Their uncle said that because preliminary autopsies have already been completed, Thai medical authorities have agreed to release the bodies of Audrey and Noemi Belanger.

I found this interesting:

The Bangkok Post said the embassy and relatives had asked that the post-mortems be performed at Bangkok's Ramathibodi Hospital.

Canadian officials said that report contained several inaccuracies. They said diplomats never asked anyone to delay the autopsies, said the autopsies had already been completed, and that the family had no plans to travel to Thailand.

Somewhere there is a list and we are now up to 12 westerners, mostly women all young and attractive , dying of something that causes extreme vomiting with all the related syndromes, mainly dehydration leading to heart conditions, etc. .

what I can't stand is all the speculation on causes based on what police Lt. Col SomChai thinks and what third rate medical personnel have speculated upon, and how reports are gleaning inaccuracies from these statements and reporting as facts.

Like that friend was merely repeating what she'd read, or the local gossip and then it gets regurgitated as a fact.

nails blue, yeah cause they were dead for a day or so . blood in the mouth? Or gums? about a zillion reasons for that.

I do find the one statement that has any kind of relevance from the head coroner interesting, about platelets not clotting - it all fits in with the prank, ( or maybe even more sinister motives, yes ) poisoning gone bad due to underlying health factors.

However gross misuse of a bed bug gas pellet also fits the known facts nicely and is more likely.

Either way Thailand can not be trusted to divulge any findings in an honest and open manner.

That unaware tourists remain horribly unaware of this culture's amazing propensity for dishonesty is what bothers me most. Dishonesty and ineptness. Massively

I do wish the Carter family had kept up the Thailand Travel Tragedy site.

And I also agree there is a concerted and deeply seated hatred of foreigners here.

May I also add, the "...gang from Chiang Mai.., " isn't from Chiang Mai but from Thai DDC and hopefully they're taking necessary testing samples, correctly.

The now established fact the women are young attractive and western in grossly disproportionate numbers leads me to a conclusion of deliberate.

Edited by StarFighter
  • Like 2

I don't want to distract from his important discussion about the loss of these two beautiful young girls but since it keeps coming up...does anyone know why 'they' would put ground mosquito coils in the supposed mushroom cocktails? Is there some type of euphoria that comes from ingesting a chemical like that? I have never heard of that and can't imagine people doing that.

Also regarding the C.M. deaths, I happened to see on the national news last night that they were showing the Downtown Inn being demolished. Although I didn't understand much of the report, they kept flashing footage of the food court at the Night Bazaar along with photos of the young New Zealand girl. I think we all know by now that these people died from pesticide and not food poisoning.

• Like 1

I'd bet money that this is related to some type of rodent or bug spraying. Probably done after a complaint or before an occupant arrives and rather than shutting down the hotel as should be done they simply are using a revolving door policy and not wanting to take a day's loss of income if this is so. Not saying for sure but a possibility that should be investigated. All staff should be interviewed regarding who is doing the application and of what products.

I'd bet money that this is related to some type of rodent or bug spraying. Probably done after a complaint or before an occupant arrives and rather than shutting down the hotel as should be done they simply are using a revolving door policy and not wanting to take a day's loss of income if this is so. Not saying for sure but a possibility that should be investigated. All staff should be interviewed regarding who is doing the application and of what products.

One doesn't need to look for grand theories in Thailand, because greed and stupidity abounds to such an extent that really no one needs conspiracy theories. Yes, I agree the likelihood is that the bedding has been sprayed with enough contaminants to kill an elephant, done because nobody would splash out a couple of thousand for a well overdue new mattress, and done on the cheap by a cowboy outfit no paperwork.

Second explanation, serial poisoner.

All other explanations, eg, dodgy shrimp, laughable given the symptoms.

I get the impression this island is a real pit and quite a few vipers and no marks around. Island should be closed down, given the ghastly way these poor people died.

Embassy should advise travellers of dangers.

I do find the one statement that has any kind of relevance from the head coroner interesting, about platelets not clotting - it all fits in with the prank, ( or maybe even more sinister motives, yes ) poisoning gone bad due to underlying health factors.

Source? I realize it may be a publication that you can't post a link to but can you please abbreviate or something? Thanks.

Seems the bodies are being flown back to Canada:

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ers-bodies.html

The bodies of two Canadian sisters who died in Thailand are expected to arrive home Thursday, a relative says.

Their uncle said that because preliminary autopsies have already been completed, Thai medical authorities have agreed to release the bodies of Audrey and Noemi Belanger.

I found this interesting:

The Bangkok Post said the embassy and relatives had asked that the post-mortems be performed at Bangkok's Ramathibodi Hospital.

Canadian officials said that report contained several inaccuracies. They said diplomats never asked anyone to delay the autopsies, said the autopsies had already been completed, and that the family had no plans to travel to Thailand.

... while the family must be grieving deeply, they apparently were informed enough to understand that they might eventually want to understand why this happened, and that there is a long clear history of Thai corruption and ineptness that would prevent them from ever knowing the truth of their daughters tragic deaths.

... ... perhaps the foreign diplomatic missions in Thailand should collectively create and fund an independent organization to help defend their citizens in Thailand from the failures of Thai-led investigations ... a service which is available to anyone with a foreign passport:

• Compile and publish authoritative and reliable checklist on the risks to visitors in Thailand (as opposed to the carefully crafted TAT propaganda, and the well-known censored Thai media and Internet);
  • Provide pre-qualified independent foreign forensic professionals to verify Thai post-mortems, and perform their own post-mortems;
  • Provide police-trained foreign detectives who speak Thai to investigate foreigner deaths;
  • Create and supply a proper pathology lab in Thailand, or contract with third party offshore pathology labs to conduct their own reports in a timely manner so that some time-sensitive physical evidence is not degraded and lost.

... someone needs to step-up and start defending foreigners in Thailand ... the Royal Thai [fill in the blank - any Thai department will do] sure isn't going to defend foreigners.

... as more and more Thai crooks discover that we are without protection, we become easy prey and it becomes open season by Thai crooks and corrupt Thai officials on foreigners in Thailand. ... they will know they can come after foreigners with impunit ... no fear of arrest.

Edited by swillowbee
  • Like 1

Sorry I can't find the article , read earler today somewhere on this thread or the Scot woman " friend" thread ( seems she wasn't a companion but had just met them ) but is was attributed to Dr Porntip.

Actually this list is now 14 westerners, ( not including Canadian Bill Mah as DCD did not include him in CM cluster ) 11 of whom were young attractive women, all puking to death without diarhea ( prior cases at least )

This common symptom is reported as such by Thai DDC in the CM case report. something is making them vomit, and then other factors, perhaps- such as blood sugar, alcohol levels, prior health conditions , etc is sending them over the edge.

I am begining to suspect foreigners probably get dosed more frequently than we know of . Egads , will the truth about this place ever get out?

Source? I realize it may be a publication that you can't post a link to but can you please abbreviate or something? Thanks.

Edited by StarFighter

So one would expect to see a preliminary report from the RTP shortly then ?.....one assumes the speed in which bodies have been released means that the cause of death is not "detrimental" to Thailand tourist dollars...

• Like 1

I think we may be dealing with something far more toxic than pesticides, food poisoning, medications or party drugs.

Could it be some commonly available plant poison like Abrin?

The rosary pea, which is the source of abrin, is common to many tropical areas throughout the world and is sometimes used as a herbal remedy. Abrin can be extracted using a relatively simple and cheap procedure. The estimated LD50 (50% death rate) for humans >300 ng making it extremely toxic. Abrin can be made in the form of a powder, a mist, a pellet, or it can be dissolved in water.

The major symptoms of abrin poisoning depend on the route of exposure and the dose received, though many organs may be affected in severe cases. Initial symptoms of abrin poisoning by inhalation may occur within 8 hours of exposure. Following ingestion of abrin, initial symptoms may occur in less than 6 hours. it would only take one seed to cause death in humans.

Edited by Chopperboy

So one would expect to see a preliminary report from the RTP shortly then ?.....one assumes the speed in which bodies have been released means that the cause of death is not "detrimental" to Thailand tourist dollars...

The police have already stated that autopsy results will be released in two weeks... They must be in a bit of a bind on this matter. The normal modus operandi for the police is a quick autopsy, release a report saying the results are uncertain, cremate the body, and wait for everybody to forget about it. This is what happened to the last person who died in a mysterious fashion in Phi Phi........But now the full world media spotlight of attention is upon them, and the bodies are headed to Canada for what I can assume to be a very high level professional autopsy. So in essence the police autopsy will have to agree with the Canadian autopsy. Bet there is some head scratching going on in upper government circles.....

• Like 1

The police have already stated that autopsy results will be released in two weeks... They must be in a bit of a bind on this matter. The normal modus operandi for the police is a quick autopsy, release a report saying the results are uncertain, cremate the body, and wait for everybody to forget about it. This is what happened to the last person who died in a mysterious fashion in Phi Phi........But now the full world media spotlight of attention is upon them, and the bodies are headed to Canada for what I can assume to be a very high level professional autopsy. So in essence the police autopsy will have to agree with the Canadian autopsy. Bet there is some head scratching going on in upper government circles.....

My comment was in repsonse to a post which was deleted which suggested preliminary autopsy had been completed and the remains of the deceased had been released for transfer back to Canada