Best Internet Jomtien

dazk

who is the best internet provider in jomtien, in the area around park lane condos on soi wat boon. We currently have TOT which was here when we moved in but it is slow at times and the customer service isnt up to much, supposed to get between a speed of between 4-7 Mb but getting 3-5 never higher.

what are you experiences

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can get 3 BB in your soi - 6MB 599,-THB -> 20 MB 2499,-THB

are they any better than tot as far as reliability and actual speed

best : cat telecom from 2 MB 1699,- thb

2.nd : 3bb

3.rd tot

imo ! cat hardly goes down ever. when you call them : yes ,sir we have a problem. and we will call you when the service is back. and they really call back!clap2.gif

Edited by JakeBKK

TOT - WHEN IT WORKS is good. I have to call at least once a week because something is fuc_ked up..... They finally reset the port and it is back to normal. I have a 7MB connection in when it is working, it consistently gets between 7 and 8...

I'd suggest checking with Sophon Broadband. Myself and many others I know in Jomtien have it. It's Cable, not ADSL. They provide Fiber-Optic direct from the Internet Gateway in Bangkok.

4 Mb is 690/month if you pay a one-year contract up-front. They have higher speeds if you need it. They frequently have specials with free installation and modem. Additionally, an Ethernet Router is highly advisable. Available from Sophon or TukCom for as little as 1100 Baht.

Their phone is: 038-423-000 -- Their office is on Pattaya Tai.

Edited by SurfRider

I'd suggest checking with Sophon Broadband. Myself and many others I know in Jomtien have it. It's Cable, not ADSL.

I agree. I have it and it works fine. They also come out the same day if ever there is a problem (rare).

They provide Fiber-Optic direct from the Internet Gateway in Bangkok.

I think it actually comes from CAT in Pattaya. Could be wrong though.

4 Mb is 690/month if you pay a one-year contract up-front. They have higher speeds if you need it. They frequently have specials with free installation and modem. Additionally, an Ethernet Router is highly advisable. Available from Sophon or TukCom for as little as 1100 Baht.

Modem is free with a refundable deposit. I have 4Mbs. I tested the higher speeds but these only get you more bandwidth inside Thailand, unless you go for the premium package which is a lot more expensive. I got a wireless N router for under 1000 in Tukcom.

"I think it actually comes from CAT in Pattaya. Could be wrong though."

Sophon's fiber feed comes directly from Bangkok into an optical switch in their Pattaya Tai office. From there it branches out (again on fiber cable), to the various neighborhoods around Pattaya/Jomtien. Stop by their office when one of their technical guys is in - they'll be happy to show and explain the setup.

CAT is only involved as an ISP who assigns and manages IP addresses, SMTP servers, etc. That is done by CAT in Bangkok. There is no association with CAT in Pattaya (which is entirely a DSL operation still using copper-pair phone lines and all the faults that come along with it)

I had CAT for 6 years - started out terrible and improved greatly over the years, but they have never adopted pricing to match their competitors.

Sophon's fiber feed comes directly from Bangkok into an optical switch in their Pattaya Tai office. From there it branches out (again on fiber cable), to the various neighborhoods around Pattaya/Jomtien. Stop by their office when one of their technical guys is in - they'll be happy to show and explain the setup.

CAT is only involved as an ISP who assigns and manages IP addresses, SMTP servers, etc. That is done by CAT in Bangkok. There is no association with CAT in Pattaya (which is entirely a DSL operation still using copper-pair phone lines and all the faults that come along with it)

Fair enough, though it seems somewhat redundant and I'm surprised that Sophon should invest in a dedicated fast connection over such a long distance. I always supposed that Sophon had fibre to the Pattaya CAT office, from where CAT of course must have their own fast connection to Bangkok.

As none of their IP addresses inside Thailand seem to resolve to names there isnt much of a clue to be had from those.

"I always supposed that Sophon had fibre to the Pattaya CAT office"

That's a reasonable assumption - the reason why Sophon set up their own fiber to Bangkok was explained in a Thai-Visa thread two or three years ago, but I don't recall the details.

Myself and an associate worked directly with CAT/Pattaya almost 8 years ago when they first offered HiNet broadband. Their service at that time was pathetic. Teaching them what they needed to know to get their service up to spec was like teaching a baby to walk and talk. It took almost a year working with their local techs as well as a senior tech in Bangkok before they were finally ready for prime-time.

If the owner of Sophon ran into similar problems, it's no wonder he installed his own fiber.

"cat nowadays has the biggest fibre optic net in patts"

I've never seen one report of anyone in Pattaya claiming to have a direct fiber feed from CAT to their home or condo. As far as I know, CAT is completely copper-pair DSL to the individual home user-- but they have recently implemented fiber for businesses. If the available reports are to be believed, it is not yet up to spec.

http://www.thaivisa....ical-be-warned/

• 4 months later...

I'd suggest checking with Sophon Broadband. Myself and many others I know in Jomtien have it. It's Cable, not ADSL. They provide Fiber-Optic direct from the Internet Gateway in Bangkok.

Their phone is: 038-423-000 -- Their office is on Pattaya Tai.

Sophon Broadband has good and quick service/support but the speed is a JOKE... im paing for 4/0.512 and most of the time i get around 1/0.2 except for early morings i can get 3/0.4...

I recently moved nearer the centre of Jomtien and paid up for 3BB. I had internet for one day and then it went down. Twice people have come and done nothing but offer empty promises. Someone is meant to come today, 12 days after it went down. We shall see. Suffice to say I am not going to be recommending them.

• 2 months later...

"I always supposed that Sophon had fibre to the Pattaya CAT office"

That's a reasonable assumption - the reason why Sophon set up their own fiber to Bangkok was explained in a Thai-Visa thread two or three years ago, but I don't recall the details.

Myself and an associate worked directly with CAT/Pattaya almost 8 years ago when they first offered HiNet broadband. Their service at that time was pathetic. Teaching them what they needed to know to get their service up to spec was like teaching a baby to walk and talk. It took almost a year working with their local techs as well as a senior tech in Bangkok before they were finally ready for prime-time.

If the owner of Sophon ran into similar problems, it's no wonder he installed his own fiber.

You saying 2 or 3 years means i cant deny any of it... but about 4 years ago i was on the verge of running sophon broadband and even lived inside the building. At the time their cable went across the road to cat pattaya before going to bangkok then korea i think through hinet. Sophon certainly have their own fairly new fibre around most of pattaya, although installed by their internet partner btv. Trunk line provider used to be cat pattaya but may have changed since...

Yes, it's true that the original Sophon service in Pattaya was via CAT on Pattaya Tai. It was a shared system with several customers on one Router, which degraded the speed as more customers were added. That original system was scrapped when Sophon brought their own Fiber link in from the Internet Gateway in Bangkok.

If you have any doubts about any of this - stop into the Sophon office when one of their tech guys is and he'll be happy so show off their setup. (at least he was when I was there a couple of years ago).

I had CAT DSL for six years and switched to Sophon Fiber just over two years ago. Much cheaper, very few problems, and very attentive and fast service when needed.

Sophon's internet SUCKS BIG TIME.... It is going down 5-10 times per day and during the last 3 month Speedtest to BKK avarages at 0.2 - 0.5Mbit out but i'm paying for 4Mbit. Ping time up to 800ms to bangkok many times... I have had their people here for 5-6 times and nothing changes.....

Sad as CAT was BY FAR the best internet in Bangkok.....

Is it possible to get a contract direct with CAT in pattaya without involving Sophon???

Edited by inventorinthailand

You're the only one of MANY reports about Sophon that is negative. Myself and many others I know are very happy with Sophon and have no such problems. If what you're saying is true, there's some technical anomaly that needs to be addressed. Sophon's service techs have always been very good at finding and fixing problems, so your claims are suspicious.

You can get CAT ADSL directly from CAT but it will cost you about 3 times what Sophon charges. Just call them or go to their office on South Pattaya road and you'll be up and running in a couple of days.

• Like 1

Sophon Broadband has good and quick service/support but the speed is a JOKE... im paing for 4/0.512 and most of the time i get around 1/0.2 except for early morings i can get 3/0.4...

You're the only one of MANY reports about Sophon that is negative. Myself and many others I know are very happy with Sophon and have no such problems. If what you're saying is true, there's some technical anomaly that needs to be addressed. Sophon's service techs have always been very good at finding and fixing problems, so your claims are suspicious.

You can get CAT ADSL directly from CAT but it will cost you about 3 times what Sophon charges. Just call them or go to their office on South Pattaya road and you'll be up and running in a couple of days.

Yea, you make things up to fit your purpose (what ever it is) I can see at least TWO complains in just this small thread.

Again, your lack to basic math knowledge, wink.png paying three times for something that is 10-20 times better seems for my to be a bargain. I will for sure look at it. Thanks for the advice, but im afraid that they are using the same CAT-line as Sophon.

True Internet sucks big time in Bangkok, but how is it in Pattaya?

Cheers.

Edited by inventorinthailand

Sophon's internet SUCKS BIG TIME.... It is going down 5-10 times per day...

If you call them they will be out the same day and will not stop until they have fixed the problem.

I give them 10/10 for service. One thing that is certain is that ADSL can never possibly come close to the reliability of cable; the technology just doesn't work that way.

Sophon's internet SUCKS BIG TIME.... It is going down 5-10 times per day...

If you call them they will be out the same day and will not stop until they have fixed the problem.

I give them 10/10 for service. One thing that is certain is that ADSL can never possibly come close to the reliability of cable; the technology just doesn't work that way.

I am not in Jomtien but South Pattaya and echo what the majority say about Sophon. I have had 3 ISPs here and Sophon are by far the best for reliability and customer service.

"Yea, you make things up to fit your purpose (what ever it is) ... Again, your lack to basic math knowledge"

You can level vitriolic personal attacks against people if that's what makes you feel better, but the overwhelming evidence in this thread and others in the past on Sophon contradicts your claims.

You'd be well advised to move on and stop trolling this thread.

Sophon's internet SUCKS BIG TIME.... It is going down 5-10 times per day and during the last 3 month Speedtest to BKK avarages at 0.2 - 0.5Mbit out but i'm paying for 4Mbit. Ping time up to 800ms to bangkok many times... I have had their people here for 5-6 times and nothing changes.....

Is it possible to get a contract direct with CAT in pattaya without involving Sophon???

Did they change the box? (cant call it a router) because I just had the same problem, which was cured by changing the box yesterday, I pay for 10MB but can hit up to 13MB downloading torrents

Did they change the box? (cant call it a router) because I just had the same problem, which was cured by changing the box yesterday, I pay for 10MB but can hit up to 13MB downloading torrents

Wow, 13Mbit, i wish i had 10% if that. They have change the small black box with 3 blue lights on it, twice and I'll start to think they just change it to make me feel like they are actually doing something. Some days it works just fine for some hours, then it can go days with ridiculous problems and then work fine again for a couple of hours.

A good day I'll get around 2mbit and I'm happy chap. But most of the time it is around 0.2 - 0.5. In Bangkok we had three lines in with loadbalancer 50/5 with True, 2/2 with CAT and a 4/0.512 from TOT. The CAT outperformed the other two in reliability BIG TIME. True was nice, when it worked, to download from, but impossible to Skype from. TOT was even more crappy then True in reliability and it was slow.

Wow, 13Mbit, i wish i had 10% if that.

Given that you only pay for 4mbs, how much do you expect to get?

They have change the small black box with 3 blue lights on it,

the modem

twice and I'll start to think they just change it to make me feel like they are actually doing something. Some days it works just fine for some hours, then it can go days with ridiculous problems .....

What problems, exactly?

A good day I'll get around 2mbit and I'm happy chap. But most of the time it is around 0.2 - 0.5. In Bangkok we had three lines in with loadbalancer 50/5 with True, 2/2 with CAT and a 4/0.512 from TOT.

Why are you comparing a 600B 4mbs cable offering with a triple load-balanced system? And how much did that cost per month? If 4mbs isn't enough, pay more and get 10mbs or premium or whatever you think you need.

I've also had some problems with Sophon internet now and then. Their support is very good and fast but i still have problems here in Jomtien and you get bored after a while when you have called them "twenty-eleven" times. I have read about their Premium 2mb/1mb and 2mb/2mb. It seams to be very reliable as there are fewer user per line. It will be asy to change as i'm on monthly subscription only. I might give it a trial.