Which Engine Oil?

4.real

I live in Pattaya and have a toyota soluna.

I have always used Castrol oil but can no longer find any on sale here.

I see many other brands in Big C etc but with different SAE numbers ie.10/40... 20.40.

Which should I use .I only use benzine.

Thanks all,in advance, for any response

Toyota has their own oil. Synthetic is in the blue container. Semi-synthetic (waste of money as neither fish nor fowl) is in the black container.

Want to buy and change your own oil? Naklua traffic light on the right hand side going out of Pattaya, on a corner north of the wooden shop houses is an auto parts store with many Isuzu/Toyota etc banners. They have parking.

Toyota has their own oil. Synthetic is in the blue container. Semi-synthetic (waste of money as neither fish nor fowl) is in the black container.

Want to buy and change your own oil? Naklua traffic light on the right hand side going out of Pattaya, on a corner north of the wooden shop houses is an auto parts store with many Isuzu/Toyota etc banners. They have parking.

Must disagree a bit about semi-synthetic. Stuff l have read state you change oil at 5000KM for mineral oil, 10000KM for semi-synthetic and 15000KM for synthetic. So their is an advantage with any oil where synthetic is part of the oil. .

Must disagree a bit about semi-synthetic. Stuff l have read state you change oil at 5000KM for mineral oil, 10000KM for semi-synthetic and 15000KM for synthetic. So their is an advantage with any oil where synthetic is part of the oil. .

]"Semi-synthetics[/size]" are oils which are a blend of petroleum oil and no more than 30% synthetic oil. If the manufacturer adds no more than 30% synthetic oil and does not change the additive package, they do not have to re certify the oil. These days, since everyone has agreed that Group III base oils are "synthetic," I'm not sure "semi-synthetic" means anything at all. The manufacturers love this stuff: it costs about 15% more to make the oil, and they get to charge about double. I don't recommend semi-synthetics. Save your money and take your kids to McDonalds.

Not an original thought from me. someone with better knowledge.

http://www.calsci.co...info/Oils1.html

Edited by VocalNeal

]"Semi-synthetics[/size]" are oils which are a blend of petroleum oil and no more than 30% synthetic oil. If the manufacturer adds no more than 30% synthetic oil and does not change the additive package, they do not have to re certify the oil. These days, since everyone has agreed that Group III base oils are "synthetic," I'm not sure "semi-synthetic" means anything at all. The manufacturers love this stuff: it costs about 15% more to make the oil, and they get to charge about double. I don't recommend semi-synthetics. Save your money and take your kids to McDonalds.

Not an original thought from me. someone with better knowledge.

http://www.calsci.co...info/Oils1.html

BUT, the oil change KM's is different for all three, yes/no. So for ''me'' there is an advantage with semi. Run my old Volvo V6 on it, ''I'' could tell the difference. smile.png

^ Don't care about any opinions on oil change intervals. I have not seen a semi-synthetic oil which states on the container how much of the blend is synthetic therefore as I said "neither fish nor fowl" and a waste of money.

Do you have a link to an oil company that states blends or oil change intervals?

^ Don't care about any opinions on oil change intervals. I have not seen a semi-synthetic oil which states on the container how much of the blend is synthetic therefore as I said "neither fish nor fowl" and a waste of money.

Do you have a link to an oil company that states blends or oil change intervals?

Nooooooooo, no link but will look tomorrow for you. Might be Shell, usually put synthetic but Shell were doing a Semi and filter for 1000bht, so went for it. Hmmmm, 10000KM is up, must visit again. biggrin.png

Nooooooooo, no link but will look tomorrow for you. Might be Shell, usually put synthetic but Shell were doing a Semi and filter for 1000bht, so went for it. Hmmmm, 10000KM is up, must visit again. biggrin.png

I say why pay 3 times the price for a synthetic when semi will do, if you want to believe all the hype, fine, I don't.

http://www.mobil.co.uk/UK-English-LCW/carengineoils_products_mobil-super-2000-formula-p-10w40.aspx#

Certain motorcycle engine are another story we are talking about a Toyota Soluna. :)

I say why pay 3 times the price for a synthetic when semi will do, if you want to believe all the hype, fine, I don't.

http://www.mobil.co....la-p-10w40.aspx#

Certain motorcycle engine are another story we are talking about a Toyota Soluna. smile.png

You are correct for an old Soluna put good oil in it and change often. The OP's problem was what is good. If the oil is changed according to schedule it probably doesn't matter if one uses Shell or Caltex or Toyota oil.

If one drives a lot or uses the vehicle for business then the downtime with synthetic is reduced because of extended change interval. Unless a citation can be given for the semi-synthetic blend ratio I'm sticking with my waste of money against regular dino oil.

In fact given that it is a Soluna and therefore older one could argue against synthetic on the grounds of and older engine with thinner oil may cause leaks or excessive consumption.

Edited by VocalNeal

Learn something everyday.

Thanks for the input folks.Interesting reading.

4.real

165,000 km no leaks burns no oil, no smoke.

As stated .Always used Castrol but no longer on sale here.

Edited by 4.real

4.real

Sounds good to me. Put a semi of the same viscosity and drive on. biggrin.png

4.real

Look around Castrol should be available anywhere it's available on Samui so mainland for sure look where they sell spare parts.

4.real

Look around Castrol should be available anywhere it's available on Samui so mainland for sure look where they sell spare parts.

I have seen oil with a slightly different spelling. Be careful out there. whistling.gif

4.real

I have seen oil with a slightly different spelling. Be careful out there. whistling.gif

If you have any doubt's do as I do I get my fortuner serviced at Toyota's they use semi. They say every 10 thou I have mine done at 5 thou Buddha it only cost 1,400bt inc. Edited by fredob43

Whatever the dealer puts in is OK with me. Service from the dealer may cost a bit more but that's OK with me. Both my car and my truck have never had any problems and both have never been serviced anywhere else.

have seen oil with a slightly different spelling. Be careful out there. whistling.gif

In Indonesia they told me always buy oil in a can. Why? Because it has been known of people to refill empty plastic oil containers with dodgy oil.

I haven't seen cans here but they are impossible to refill and reseal.

• Like 1

My friend had a car serviced at my regular place .She said they did not change the engine oil although she was charged for an oil change.

Possibly the staff used old oil.

Another to watch is what happened to a girl I know,She bought a new Honda wave .The first service she had somebody changed many of her new parts for junk.

She did not tell me until it was to late to attempt any police action.

Have your service done where you buy from new,Try to make sure you stay throughout service.

I do.

Edited by 4.real

Brand really doesnt matter oil is oil, as long as it meets the sae/api standards and viscosity recommendations for your car then its allright. Personally I see no reason to spend good money on synthetic for an old car. I only used synthetics back home in wintertime due to its superior ability to flow at below freezing temps on startup. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_oil

• Like 1

At B-Quick, for Isuzu diesels, their fully synthetic turbo diesel oil, Mobil, is 5W-40. Their 'semi-synthetic', for the same model line is Mobil super 2000 semi-synthetic, which is 15W-40. Does anyone know if there is any equivalence or sliding ratio relationships of oil viscosity between these two, (or any), grades of oil?

Is 5W-40 fully synthetic turbo diesel Mobil oil equivalent to the 15W-40 Mobil super 2000 semi-synthetic?

Also, where can I readily find an oil filter wrench for sale?

Edited by thailoht

At B-Quick, for Isuzu diesels, their fully synthetic turbo diesel oil, Mobil, is 5W-40. Their 'semi-synthetic'(?), for the same model line is Mobil 1000 (?) turbo diesel, which is 15W-40. Does anyone know if there is any equivalence or sliding ratio relationships of oil viscosity between these two, (or any), grades of oil?

Is 5W-40 fully synthetic turbo diesel Mobil oil equivalent to15W-40 'semi-synthetic' turbo diesel Mobil 1000 (?) ?

What ever the oil, the grades are the same. Look in your handbook for the temperature range of where you reside. Will give you the grade. smile.png

At B-Quick, for Isuzu diesels, their fully synthetic turbo diesel oil, Mobil, is 5W-40. Their 'semi-synthetic'(?), for the same model line is Mobil 1000 (?) turbo diesel, which is 15W-40. Does anyone know if there is any equivalence or sliding ratio relationships of oil viscosity between these two, (or any), grades of oil?

Is 5W-40 fully synthetic turbo diesel Mobil oil equivalent to15W-40 'semi-synthetic' turbo diesel Mobil 1000 (?) ?

What ever the oil, the grades are the same. Look in your handbook for the temperature range of where you reside. Will give you the grade. smile.png

The Soluna is a great little car go for ever.

And yeah !! in Thailand, disagree if you wish, I don't think it will get as cold as Canada at the mo in Thailand, so 10 w is fine but the heat is getting up a bit these days so 40 I think is better than 30, for me the way to go 10w-40.:)

• Like 1