Low Cost Airlines And Domestic Flights To Move To Don Mueang Airport

webfact

Would the move of some flights to Don Mueang Airport be convenient for your travel?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Living in Udon Thani, I always fly Nok Air from Udon to Don Muang and back to Udon, on my infrequent visits to Bangkok.

When I fly international, I use Thai. Even then, I always get stuck with an overnight stay, either coming or going.

So this will not affect me.

The only route, Air Asia offers from Udon, that appeals to me anyway, is a non-stop direct flight from Udon to Phuket. Other than that route, I never use Air Asia. Air Asia sucks, IMO.

• Like 1

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Blazes, You answered and said what aircraft would Air Asia use for European routes "Fokkers" ?? my reply is whatever the Fokkers want to buy for the routes mentioned.

Fokkers is the name of a now bankrupt aircraft manufacturer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fokker

And we the passengers are the reason for bankrupt aircraft manufacturer - WE are only willing to pay the absolut minimum to fly- the AIRLINE is only willing to pay the absolut minimum for the aircraft - the MANUFACTURER are not able to make any monney due to the high quality standard and cost related to aircraft SAFETY.- they are bankrupt.

If I were you I would start to pay a bit more for the ticket, for excample 500 THB more for domestic flights or as erlier mentioned same as a cup of cofee in Paris.

For your own SAFETY, start to pay for what you get. The runway in BKK is under repair for YOUR safety, annoying if they don't work 24/7 agree.

We pay the runway repair by AP fees, what will happen when WE decide the AP fee is too high - the airlines are negotiating the fee to reduce their cost because (we) YOU are not willing to pay an extra cup of coffee in Paris when you fly - some of you maybe only a couple of times per year!!

You rather save 500 THB on an airline ticket - reducing your own safety, one day maybe so much that you will not be able to use the 500 THB saved at your destination.

12go went Bankrupt for a reason, and some people unfortunately never got to use the money saved when they landed in HKT:

RIP

Edited by Kripe

IssanUSA, sorry if I missled you with my post, my reply re-Fokkers was an English long standing joke, about the name and a twist of words, as it sounds like F###kers. We used to say in the old days "those germanV2 rockets were Fokkers, get my meaning.

IssanUSA, sorry if I missled you with my post, my reply re-Fokkers was an English long standing joke, about the name and a twist of words, as it sounds like F###kers. We used to say in the old days "those germanV2 rockets were Fokkers, get my meaning.

Ahhhh, thanks biggrin.png

At least I got my message out :-) - enjoy your evening.

I don't see what the big problem is. Spread the load between two (or more) airports. As a former resident of London where we 5 airports; Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, Luton and City (6 if you count London Southend (only joking)) three of those as big as swampy, but we have good links both road (M25/M4/M3/M23/M1/M11 etc) and rail between these airports. Bangkok has a similar population to London. Get the long neglected BTS link finished between Swampy and DM, tart DM up a bit then everybody's happy. But putting in place a good rail link will be the key to the success of this scheme. Bangkok traffic is too congested to rely on road link be they bus or taxi. biggrin.png

An interesting situation would have been for all Thai airways DOM/INT to move alone to Don Muaeng. To my mind they do not thrive on competition.

Donkey's years ago I travelled Thai always, from London. In those days they had competition from major Airlines, but with their young fleet of 747's and lower prices they were one of the best, only a little more expensive than Tarom-Beman-Philipine-Garuda etc. They are a lot more expensive than Air Asia, and are internationally as expensive as the best Airlines, BUT with antiquated aircraft-not even updated fittings, because of these factors and others they are losing billions and customers, they have forgotten how to compete. They would have been better operating from D.Muaeng alone and capturing domestic and international markets, but first they HAVE to lower prices and buy new aircraft. But it isn't going to happen, my suggestion, at least it is as good as the top wigs at Thai can do.

I don't see what the big problem is. Spread the load between two (or more) airports. As a former resident of London where we 5 airports; Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, Luton and City (6 if you count London Southend (only joking)) three of those as big as swampy, but we have good links both road (M25/M4/M3/M23/M1/M11 etc) and rail between these airports. Bangkok has a similar population to London. Get the long neglected BTS link finished between Swampy and DM, tart DM up a bit then everybody's happy. But putting in place a good rail link will be the key to the success of this scheme. Bangkok traffic is too congested to rely on road link be they bus or taxi. biggrin.png

Not sure we need 5, but totally agreed on completing the rail link between Don and downtown. Certainly not ideal, but population base and size of city can support an international and domestic airport if necessary. Latest report stated that concrete work on Hopewell Project to date is still sound. Problem is that it's Thailand and will likely take another 5 years to complete even if most of the tough work is done.

What a mess!

I can already see ten-thousands of people miss their flights for the first 2-3 years until everyone is informed.

Informed of what? Who books tickets without knowing what airport they are leaving or arriving? Large cities all over the world have multiple airports.

I am however curious about people that have already booked tickets for after August or are still booking them with airlines that may move later in the year.

Could be me.

One post says Air Asia plan to move in August so I could be flying out from Swampy in July and arriving back at DM in August and have to get over to Swampy to get my car which will be in their car park!

Yesterday when I saw this thread I went to AirAsia to look at tickets for flying in September and were only providing options out of BKK. So, it looks like nothing is confirmed yet. It also seems like a short time period to get DM up to shape and staffed. August is just a little over a month away.

Suvarnabhumi Phase one planned for 45 million passengers.

Look at a Suvarnabhumi sattelite photo and you will see where the 3d runway will be.

Thus extension Phase two is part of the design of the airport.

There is no need for two airports.

"Under the plan of the Airports of Thailand Pcl to improve Don Mueang Airport, about Bt1.6 billion will be spent on upgrading runways and other facilities."

Wouldn't that Bt1.6 billion better used for Phase 2 extension?

How much of that 1.6 billion will fill the pockets of the happy few very rich already.

Some influential people have different agendas.

• Like 2

Smug Thai talking about they're the"premium" carrier, Wouldn't it be lovely if Air asia did a long haul to Manchester, example (please) or if Emirates/Ethidad moved to D.Muaeng then Thai Airways would start spitting blood. Don Muaeng would be big time again. Good luck Air Asia, but get European flights started ---you will have a fantastic market, Manchester-Frankfurt-Amsterdam-Paris.

What planes would they be using? Fokkers?

These would be useful?

post-51760-0-32184200-1340251707_thumb.j

Or when the WWII RAF pilot was describing his wartime experiences to a group of children.

"These German fokkers came out of the clouds" when the teacher interrupts him and explains to the class that Fokkers are a type of aircraft.

The pilot goes on "Well as I was saying before I was interrupted, these German fokkers came out of the clouds in their Meschersmidts......."

Suvarnabhumi Phase one planned for 45 million passengers.

Look at a Suvarnabhumi sattelite photo and you will see where the 3d runway will be.

Thus extension Phase two is part of the design of the airport.

There is no need for two airports.

"Under the plan of the Airports of Thailand Pcl to improve Don Mueang Airport, about Bt1.6 billion will be spent on upgrading runways and other facilities."

Wouldn't that Bt1.6 billion better used for Phase 2 extension?

How much of that 1.6 billion will fill the pockets of the happy few very rich already.

Some influential people have different agendas.

It's an additional fund on top of the money for Swampy extension, both are going to happen, if indeed the switch to DM happens.

It always made sense to have a dedicated domestic/low cost airport in a City the size of Bangkok, while having a separate international Airport but the links between the two have to be fast. In London you can get from LCY to LHR, LGW or STN without too much hassle or delay LTN is a little further out, likewise in New York & NJ the 3 main airports are in fairly easy reach of each other. With Bangkok traffic being what it is though something has to be done to improve the transport links between DMK & BKK on road & rail so transiting passengers don't have to leave a 6 hour layover just to stand half a chance of catching their flight.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Edited by Stjohnm

Talk about "Cart before the Horse" but then i suppose there will be a new DM-SUV skytrain service ready before october. But just imagine arriving at DM 2 hours before your international flight leaves from Swampy, who was the crazy coot that worked this one out ?

Edited by oldsailor35

Or when the WWII RAF pilot was describing his wartime experiences to a group of children.

"These German fokkers came out of the clouds" when the teacher interrupts him and explains to the class that Fokkers are a type of aircraft.

The pilot goes on "Well as I was saying before I was interrupted, these German fokkers came out of the clouds in their Meschersmidts......."

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif As Austrian I enjoy that joke double cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Stop complaining. The idea is good. Point to point airlines and domestic at Don is great. A taxi from Don to Suvarnabhumi will not break you and if it does you should not be travelling. New York has 3 airports, Paris two plus your cheapo centres, Melbourne two, London two plus the extras at Luton etc and so on. Why dont you complain about them. You are all self centred whingers. Are you all POMS.

Its obvious that you have never heard of "traffic congestion" whistling.gifrolleyes.gif

Have to admit that I voted a solid yes for domestic flights at Don Muang. Rather than doing a hold over Lopburi for 20 minutes due to congestion at Suvarnabhumi, rather than walking close to 1 km from a domestic gate to the exit of the airport in crowds of swarming tourists, and then another 500 metres to my car in an overcrowded car park, I really do enjoy and straight in approach and landing and then exiting an aircraft at Don Muang and being in my car and on my way home in less than ten minutes.

Plus, it's a lot closer to home and easier to get to, although I realise that is selfish logic.

Most major cities in the world have more than one airport to spread traffic around, ease congestion, and ease accessibility to the various airports. Why not Bangkok?

Have to admit that I voted a solid yes for domestic flights at Don Muang. Rather than doing a hold over Lopburi for 20 minutes due to congestion at Suvarnabhumi, rather than walking close to 1 km from a domestic gate to the exit of the airport in crowds of swarming tourists, and then another 500 metres to my car in an overcrowded car park, I really do enjoy and straight in approach and landing and then exiting an aircraft at Don Muang and being in my car and on my way home in less than ten minutes.

Plus, it's a lot closer to home and easier to get to, although I realise that is selfish logic.

Most major cities in the world have more than one airport to spread traffic around, ease congestion, and ease accessibility to the various airports. Why not Bangkok?

Do most major cities in the world have traffic congestion like Bangkok ?

What an absolutely reckless & stupid decision. This will no doubt damage tourism, due to restricted connections & doubtless more expensive flights out of Suvarnabhumi - now there'll be less competition.

For many like me, when returning to Thailand through Bangkok & having a connecting flight to Phuket, Chiang Mai, Koh Samui etc, if your flight arrives into Bangkok later than 5pm or 6pm, you're going to have to overnight in a hotel, as there's no way you're going to be able to get over to Don Muang to get a connecting flight in time!

Has anyone actually switched on their brain, to think of the true ramifications of this? Except for the one that the air force which runs Don Muang are going to get more money!?

You all forget that inconvenienceing Falang is of no consequence to thai's,just shut up & pay.beatdeadhorse.gif

• Like 1

Geriatrickid,IssanUSA. Agreeing with each other for what??? I fly Air Asia Udon-Swampy, What <deleted> delays ?? their record is better than Thai, that is why they are the biggest, and cheapest and newest planes. You condone near-anything Thai-whatever wrong. Defending an airport that has a sorry record of problems (for a HUB) and mafia connections-like K.Power-rip off duty free--never duty free.

Traffic at Swampy is big-agree, it has to be for it's size and cost. Wear and tear-I agree BUT BUT in 6 Years never -have to have had cheap charlie foundations from the onset, and scandles from day 1. I would love to have a smile about the efficiency but it would be a lie. Sorry but again instead of bashing when things are not right you persist on a rosy picture. Strange !!!!!!

The reason DMK is being used again is that there is too much traffic at BKK. There is only one solution: Reduce the traffic. There are 2 ways of doing this: Cap all flights or move some of the smaller aircraft out of there. The airlines want more international flights, so that means the something has to be cut. The LCC's don't need a complex baggage transfer system since they don't offer interline transfers. Nor do they need access to extensive catering since they don't provide the same meal service as full service airlines. Air Asia, Tiger, and Jet Star do most of their equipement maintenance outside of Thailand, so they don't need access to the specialty equipment at BKK. The LCC pax aren't the ones making the big purchases at the shops so they don't add much in terms of mercantile spinoff. LCC pax generate far less in the fees needed to pay for airport services and to a certain extent LCCs are indirectly subsidized by full service carriers who are hit with the higher fees, and taxes. These are some of the reasons why the LCC can be moved.

My personal view is good riddance. I've flown Air Asia a few times, so I do know what's on those planes. They are the type of people that pee all over the lavatory floor.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 2

It always made sense to have a dedicated domestic/low cost airport in a City the size of Bangkok, while having a separate international Airport but the links between the two have to be fast. In London you can get from LCY to LHR, LGW or STN without too much hassle or delay LTN is a little further out, likewise in New York & NJ the 3 main airports are in fairly easy reach of each other. With Bangkok traffic being what it is though something has to be done to improve the transport links between DMK & BKK on road & rail so transiting passengers don't have to leave a 6 hour layover just to stand half a chance of catching their flight.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

I still believe it is easier to walk from 2nd to 4th floor in the same building.

I very much doubt the AOT planners have done their homework when designing Swamy.

Surely they never heard about Atlanta Hartsfield new airport, opened September 1980: one terminal building, concourses A,B,C and D linked to the terminal by automatic train, 3 parallel runways, good for 55 million passengers/year, ON TIME and ON BUDGET. (no missing toilets neither)

They missed out on the smallish International arrivals/departures area which appeared too small in the first year of operation due to unexpected international airlines deciding commencing direct flights to ATL. Unlike Swampy they corrected their mistake.

Sure it's better/easier to re-open an old airport, TIT isn't.

ATL has become a hub, BKK will miss that objective and stay a smallish regional airport at max 45 million passengers/year capacity clap2.gif

Edited by tartempion

Do most major cities in the world have traffic congestion like Bangkok ?

I'm currently in Tehran, I prefer Bangkok traffic. (just been told I have to leave earlier tomorrow to go the airport as there is going to be a known traffic jam!)

I very much doubt the AOT planners have done their homework when designing Swamy.

Surely they never heard about Atlanta Hartsfield new airport, opened September 1980: one terminal building, concourses A,B,C and D linked to the terminal by automatic train, 3 parallel runways, good for 55 million passengers/year, ON TIME and ON BUDGET. (no missing toilets neither)

They missed out on the smallish International arrivals/departures area which appeared too small in the first year of operation due to unexpected international airlines deciding commencing direct flights to ATL. Unlike Swampy they corrected their mistake.

Sure it's better/easier to re-open an old airport, TIT isn't.

ATL has become a hub, BKK will miss that objective and stay a smallish regional airport at max 45 million passengers/year capacity clap2.gif

Wasn't phase 2 due to have been completed by now?

• Like 1