Invasion Of The Digital Screens

camerata

I don't know about you guys in other parts of Thailand or the world, but here in Bangkok we are being invaded by digital advertising screens everywhere. Most of the major department stores have big widescreen models every 10-20 metres. Emporium and Siam Paragon have 3-D screens where the ads pop right out of the screen at you. The BTS has them on the platform and a few inside the carriages. The underground railway has some set behind the tinted glass at the edge of the platforms. My office building has installed two huge screens showing Bloomberg News channel in the lobby and we are assaulted by a smaller screen with advertising blaring in the lifts. It seems that technology provides increasingly aggressive methods of brainwashing potential consumers. And I just read that this year video is coming to our mobile phones and PDAs in a big way. Whoopee. :o

Sad, yes. :o Be happy they're not camcorders watching you!

I think I read somewhere that Britain will utilize their system of cameras and computers to keep track of the movements of autos for the next two years. While I'm sure it won't matter to most people, it wouldn't affect me if they did it in the US, it'd sure be creepy, knowing big brother is watching. With thought crime just around the corner, turns out George Orwell was not just a scifi author, buta Prophet.

Reminds me of a Singapore subway station, which had a sign (among many others) saying: "There are 44 cameras in this subway station, for your protection" :o

I don't normally mind screens all over the place, but I think they overdid it in Central Chitlom...somehow, the combination of greenery and huge screens looks weird.

Creepy is a good word, mogoso. Paranoia may be even better. The cost of it has to be staggering. While I can see the logic in the mentality my gut keeps telling me there's something twisted about the whole concept. I can't believe that following this course to whatever degree would ever become a "real" solution to preventing or detering crime. IMHO any ideology that has false concepts as it's base is doomed to failure given time.

When I go to Thai governmental agencies and see them writing longhand in ledgers I can't help but smile to myself. It's nice to know that my life here can still be largely "invisible." Not that I need to hide from anyone. It's just that I prefer that people, especially government, needn't meddle with my private affairs.

I don't at all care for the in-your-face approach of marketing, either. Especially when they feel they can use their technology to intrude upon you without your consent (DTAC's SMS adverts, for instance). But that's more an annoyance that I can tend to ignore. I'll choose that any day over someone following me around with a camera, viewing me with utmost and absolutely groundless suspicion. As you said, that's creepy.

Yes, I totally relate with the "progress" in Bangkok--stuffing a blaring screens in front of one's face at every turn. Not only are the ones you mentioned very annoying, I have been particularly alarmed because recently I have seen taxi's trialing lcd screens snapped to the passenger sun visor. It sticks out a little and I hit my head on it once on the way into a taxi not expecting it entering cars for so many years without an obstruction there. The other place is the super market. They have motion detectors in each aisle attached to lcd screens that blare advertisements when they sense anyone near. There are also advertisement screens popping up at bus stops. And if you think it can't get any worse, just wait for the world cup. There will be an insane amount of tv's everywhere if 2002 was any indication. Ok, I actually can dig that since it is once every 4 years and the pinnacle of sport rather than dumb advertisements. But as for the rest, it's just plain annoying and it's gonna get a LOT worse by the looks of it. The goal for Thailand appears to be a loud speaker on every pole and a lcd screen aimed at you at every step.

We've got them in Tesco over here in the UK. They're placed in all the isles at the top of the shelves advertising all manner of s**t you don't really need. They're 17 inch widescreen numbers and the sound is really loud.....bloody subliminal marketing..... :o

Sad, yes. :o Be happy they're not camcorders watching you!

I think I read somewhere that Britain will utilize their system of cameras and computers to keep track of the movements of autos for the next two years. While I'm sure it won't matter to most people, it wouldn't affect me if they did it in the US, it'd sure be creepy, knowing big brother is watching. With thought crime just around the corner, turns out George Orwell was not just a scifi author, buta Prophet.

It is also my understanding that more people are having the their DNA records kept by the police even if they are not charge with anything or if they get off. In addition as of the first of the month, the police can now arrest you in the UK for dropping litter or not wearing your seat belt. In addition they can take digital photos of suspects and keep them on a central data base. With the plans also to introuduce ID cards by stealth! It really is becoming a 1984 scencirio. But people seem to accept it, so what can one do?

The cameras being placed everywhere to watch your every move has been in the works for a long time coming now. Governments of the world shall unite in this endeavor to keep a watchful eye over its citizenry. This has long been a dream of the governments to be able to maintain more control and know your every move. If you saw that Tom Cruise movie "Minority Report" where people are eye scanned at every possible locale, that isn't too far off in the future. Beware!