Where Are The Best Hamburgers In Bkk?

profidamus

I thought the cheeseburger and fries at Mikes Bangkok was not that horrible, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it. They threw in one onion ring on the side and that tasted quite nice. I tried their so called thick hand made malted milkshake. It was not thick and not worth the calories. Didn't watch their hands so can't comment on that part. Give it time, its good that we complain as maybe it will get better.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Triple O burger on the 7th floor of Central World is pretty good, the fries are EXCELLENT but the milkshake IS THE BEST. Milkshake is 160 baht but the chocolate one was the best I've had in years.

MOSS burger also in Central world is a Japanese burger joint that I like alot (they have tons of branches in Japan and I used to look forward to it every trip), it's a different gooey juicy style of burger but it's ###### good (although small, but not expensive)

Damian

So sad! I've been walking by the new Mikes Burgers on Silom for the last month waiting for them to open! Went on Saturday the day they opened and waited 40 minutes for my burger. Very fatty and lots of gristle! yuck! Fries were good and so was the 1 onion ring I was given. I mentioned the free upsize as well that they were advertising in the window right up till the day they opended and was told...arai? arai na? Figures!

Ok so this was opening day and I figured they needed a few days. Went back yesterday. Burger still nasty but only waited 20 minutes for the food. The place was empty! Word gets around fast! I give it 3 months if they don't get their s**t together!

This spot was much busier when they were selling DVD's!

Sad, but isn't this the spot where two alley-diners were located. Not thrilled about another big restaurant displacing the local flavors. I'll keep eating my burgers in pubs and sport bars.

Big John's in Sukhumvit 55 (Thonglor) makes the best hamburgers in town + yummy oven-fresh kidney pies. Yum!

I don't like the burgers at Mike's. They are greasy (grease dripping all over the place), soggy, and they're not thoroughly cook, plus their stuff barely speaks English. The place is swarming with flies. Yuck!

Mike's Burgers in Bangkok is not the same as Chiang Mai Mike's.

It probably won't be the same for at least a few months (a year??) until the staff gets trained. We ordered 2 cheeseburgers (1 bacon and 1 mushroom) yesterday and both came back with no cheese. How can you Eff something that basic up esp. when the wife ordered in Thai???

That's the last time I will eat there for at least 6 months. Hopefully that will give the staff time to get trained. In the meantime, back to Greyhound for a much better hamburger.

How does the owner expect Thai people with little experience eating hamburger would know how to cook them. I guess training by osmosis is the unfortunate standard in Thailand.

Beef is definitely a major problem at Silom as it is full of gristle. Very Poor quality.

French fries undercooked.

Coke was fine.

Service horrible and very slow. I asked the cashier about the "Grand Opening Special" that advertised a free upgrade to large size on "value meals". Server first said he didn't know about it and then said it had been cancelled since the signs were now down. Bad publicity.

Prices are too high for what is offered at Silom. I dont mind paying for quality but it isnt there...

EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED.

I agree as well. The kids and I ate there and I still feel weird when thinking of it. Whats up with the meat they are using? You can find some good grades of meat in Bangkok. This stuff is more like mince meat that is white. I've ate at the Mikes Hamburger in CM and this is not even close to.

Someone better shape up as they don't have a clue now.

Another place to avoid in Silom is Taco Loco. I could not finish the taco I had, it was terrible. Even worse than Patty Fiesta and that is saying something. Whats up with the restaurants on Silom? are they tourist traps?

.... Whats up with the meat they are using? You can find some good grades of meat in Bangkok. This stuff is more like mince meat that is white. I've ate at the Mikes Hamburger in CM and this is not even close to.

Wife thinks they might be mixing in some cheap pork meat as the bone (!) in the burger gristle was not as hard as beef. Both Times we ate there, have found bone in the burger which is unusual. Don't recall finding bone in any other burgers around here.

My head is spinning from all the burger threads on this forum. I did a few trips some weeks ago to a few of the recommended spots and came away with the clear winner being Big Mango at the Nana Ent. Plaza. I went after work, and happy hour (4-8?) price is cheap enough 130 I think for generous delicious home style char-broiled cheeseburger/fries with toasted bun, and 60 baht for Beer Lao. If you sit by the railing upstairs you can watch the early arriving members of the evening freak shows too.

My head is spinning from all the burger threads on this forum. I did a few trips some weeks ago to a few of the recommended spots and came away with the clear winner being Big Mango at the Nana Ent. Plaza. I went after work, and happy hour (4-8?) price is cheap enough 130 I think for generous delicious home style char-broiled cheeseburger/fries with toasted bun, and 60 baht for Beer Lao. If you sit by the railing upstairs you can watch the early arriving members of the evening freak shows too.

well unless they changed the chef in the last 6 months or so, the big mango is another one of those total grease burgers!!! Price is irrelevant as it feels like your consuming the full content of the deep fat fryer!

I dunno about you lot, but i much prefer my bread bun to be dry and not positively dripping with grease... but then i guess its horses for courses!

you lot
European (non-continental, presumably) spotted!

If there's one thing I've discovered, it's that the European and UK ideal hamburger is qualitatively different from the American ideal hamburger. Since it's one of the few things we can really claim to have invented as an industry over our short history as a nation, I'm going to stick with our version (we think McDonald's sucks too, by the way).

Just to add something substantive, I tried Mike's recently too because it's nearby work and home. Whoever said something about filler, bone and gristle was right (I nailed all three in one burger). The place has a hilariously great looking setup, it seems authentic, but the burger is bland, made up of some kind of mystery meat and just doesn't taste right. Can't imagine going back.

The fact that Burger King makes one of the more authnetic tasting hamburgers that I've had in Thailand (I've been trying burgers left and right based on this thread and word of mouth for the better part of two years) is a sad commentary not on my taste buds, but on the state of hamburgers in Thailand. I wouldn't be caught dead eating at Burger King back in Texas, but here it's the most viable, reliable alternative. The best burger I've had was still at some streetside stand in Lamai with a grill, but I can't recall the name - in the middle of a bunch of shady beer bars. The most disappointing, even though it's good by Thailand standards, is Great American Rib Company. They generally nail American comfort foods (BBQ, Quesadillas, etc) better than any other restaurant in the Kingdom, so when they produce anything that isn't best in class I'm left frowning - but this is more of a commentary on how generally fantastic their efforts are, not on their burger being bad (it's definitely edible, which is more than I can say for most burgers here).

I'll have to try Triple O, haven't had that yet.

I have tried the burgers at most if not all of the places mentioned. Some are better than others but none stand out. The best burger in Bangkok is at Bully's Tavern on Sukhumvit between Soi 4 and 2 (or is it 0) which, surprisingly, has not been mentioned previously. The burger is very tasty and better than the fare offered elsewhere. There is no problem with the quality of the meat, bun or pproportions as is the case elsewhere. You eat one and want another. The burger is served dry and you add your own condiments, i.e., ketchup, mustard, etc. The downside is that Bully's skimps on the lettuce, tomato, pickles and onion that accompany the burger (although they will provide more if requested). Bully's also skimps on the amount of fries, not chips, served with the burger which are excellent lthough not enough to satisfy. Bully's will charge extra for more fries. That said, still the best burger in town.

my favorite hamburger is the jumbo jack. but they don't have any jack in the box here.

here in bangkok, the best that I have eaten is at the Bull's Head Pub on Sukhumvit Soi 33/1.

it is expensive at 160 baht. but it is good. reminds me of a steak between a bun. steak sandwich.

I've eaten the burger at Nana Hotel. it is big, and has fries. but I don't think it is very good.

when they sold it at 70 baht, it was a good deal. but it cost 100 baht now.

I think its called New York cafe, anyway its just outside Nichada Thani. They make a great burger and very reasonably priced.

The New York Cafe is very good for American comfort food, run by a Thai and his wife I believe they worked in the US for awhile so know the food............just around the corner is Que Pasa with resonable Mexican and American food.

If you not have a car tho, Nichada is aways out there you spend a fortune on a taxi

Hi guys, I do not know where the absolute best burgers (or hot dogs) in Thailand are, but I do know with certainty that they are not at Mike's on Silom. I too waited for the opening, and gave them a few days to sort things out. I went in yesterday and ordered a chili cheese dog. They were not busy, and it still took twenty minutes! For a chili dog?!?! While they were making it, I noticed that they use the same crap Wonder Bread type buns that you buy at Villa Market, or Foodland. When I finally got my coney, The bun was already falling apart, because they put way too much runny chili on it. That's ok, because the chili tasted like a combo of mud, excrement, and kidney beans. All in all, a 1/2 out of 10, I would give it a miss if I were you. Bad service, and bad food is not duer to them being newly-opened. It is due solely to bad management, bad training, and having no idea what a true chili cheese dog should taste like. Good chili isn't hard to make, but apparently horrible chili is much easier. Typical Thai attempt at something they don't understand. Oh well.

Right now Sizzler has some fantastic beef for their burgers. I was quite surprised as they have improved their menu and service tremendously since my last visit.

For just a good burger, fast, cheep, and clean try the Burger King upstairs at Emporium. You can get a coffee from Starbucks to go with it. :o

I'll repeat myself, for once. :o Outback in Siam Discovery. 250 THB, but worth it. You will NOT know that you're eating a burger in Thailand (if you ignore the staff, just for suspension of disbelief purposes). That's as highly as I can praise a burger here. I'm not saying that there's not another place that doesn't "have its days" , but for an absolutely dependable experience, which would be a decent burger back home (Unified Steakeaters Anonymous), it takes the guesswork out.

I'll repeat myself, for once. :o Outback in Siam Discovery. 250 THB, but worth it. You will NOT know that you're eating a burger in Thailand (if you ignore the staff, just for suspension of disbelief purposes). That's as highly as I can praise a burger here. I'm not saying that there's not another place that doesn't "have its days" , but for an absolutely dependable experience, which would be a decent burger back home (Unified Steakeaters Anonymous), it takes the guesswork out.

The Outhouse, as I call it does some of the worst food you'll find in Bangkok IMO.

When I visited the staff seemed to be completely disinterested in providing any type of service whatsoever.

I have seen a couple of people recommending this place on TV? I must be missing something, surely?

Hi E.T., I do believe I (distinctly) mentioned the staff. I do recognize what the term "outhouse" means, and also the term "worst food" :D I hate to be overly fastidious, but do you have any critique of the burger, the point of the post?

The Outhouse, as I call it does some of the worst food you'll find in Bangkok IMO.

When I visited the staff seemed to be completely disinterested in providing any type of service whatsoever.

I have seen a couple of people recommending this place on TV? I must be missing something, surely?

Hi E.T., I do believe I (distinctly) mentioned the staff. I do recognize what the term "outhouse" means, and also the term "worst food" :D I hate to be overly fastidious, but do you have any critique of the burger, the point of the post?

I went today to try it per the recommendations in this thread. Obviously I wouldn't think of paying for an Outback burger back in Texas because of all the superior and cheaper alternatives, but over here you take what you can get, heh. Anyway, you're right about it. There are really two ways to cook a burger in America (or anywhere I suppose), on a grill or grilled over open flame. The Outback burger seems to be cooked on a grill, but ###### if that wasn't the most authentic greasy spoon style burger I've had in a while, let alone in Thailand (or Asia for that matter). It's not as good as a properly cooked flame grilled burger, but it's pretty close to authentic and I'll definitely be back for more. I guess The Office and Bully's are up for a shot next. Thumbs up for the Mad Max at Outback though (the cheese fries weren't bad either, if a bad reminder of how ridiculous American cuisine is, heh).

For what it's worth, the staff that serviced me at the bar was fantastic, quick and attentive as well and I have no complaints whatsoever in that regard.

I went today to try it per the recommendations in this thread. Obviously I wouldn't think of paying for an Outback burger back in Texas because of all the superior and cheaper alternatives, but over here you take what you can get, heh. Anyway, you're right about it. There are really two ways to cook a burger in America (or anywhere I suppose), on a grill or grilled over open flame. The Outback burger seems to be cooked on a grill, but ###### if that wasn't the most authentic greasy spoon style burger I've had in a while, let alone in Thailand (or Asia for that matter). It's not as good as a properly cooked flame grilled burger, but it's pretty close to authentic and I'll definitely be back for more. I guess The Office and Bully's are up for a shot next. Thumbs up for the Mad Max at Outback though (the cheese fries weren't bad either, if a bad reminder of how ridiculous American cuisine is, heh).

For what it's worth, the staff that serviced me at the bar was fantastic, quick and attentive as well and I have no complaints whatsoever in that regard.

Absolutely, IMO.

It ain't "come to Jesus" food, but as I said it's as dependable burger style as you can get here as a replica from home (if that's what you're looking for, and that's all you should reasonably hope for)

Can't really hope for a better backer than a Texan (I went to school in Santa Fe, and we'll leave that for another hungry day), and we'll lay off the politics, (me being from Boston, and the thread being about a neutral subject and all!)

(I went to school in Santa Fe, and we'll leave that for another hungry day), and we'll lay off the politics, (me being from Boston, and the thread being about a neutral subject and all!)
Santa Fe, Texas? If so, I grew up in a small town right next door.

Good call on the burger for sure. I'm spreading the word!

(I went to school in Santa Fe, and we'll leave that for another hungry day), and we'll lay off the politics, (me being from Boston, and the thread being about a neutral subject and all!)
Santa Fe, Texas? If so, I grew up in a small town right next door.

Good call on the burger for sure. I'm spreading the word!

No, I was in the NM one, which had it's own great food, culture, landscape, etc. Kind of strange, it's a bit of a leap, but Chiang Mai reminds me quite a bit of Santa Fe, at least back when I was there, '86-'90. Hilly, artsy, chilled out, good food, handicrafts, gardening and floral zen joint.