True Internet - Work Permit Holders Only.

cowslip

Can't you just put it in your wife, girlfriend or a Thai friend's name? It does seem rather silly and counter productive for True, but they're not exactly leading the space race to start with.

That's total nonsense! I had True Internet in 2 locations in BKK over 6 years. Nobody ever asked for a WP. If you rent your place, you usually need permission from the owner with a copy of their ID card. But the account is in your name.

Sorry not nonsense - may be new policy - according to True a "foreigner" didn't pay and left the country.....so now they ask for a work permit. (go figure!?!?!)

If you doubt it please call True sales line.

Seems to me that they will miss out on a few expat customers.

I must say I don't feel like dealing with a company that seems to prize bureaucracy over service.

Of course any foreigner with a work permit would never leave the country without paying a bill. Just go to another True Service Center or Shop and apply....probably like some bank branches...walk in one branch and they say no way can you open an account....walk into another branch and you walk out with an account.

• Like 1

When I opened my account in Pattaya in November 2011 a work permit was required. I opened in my gf name.

I was thinking open in my Gf name but my lease for condo will be in my name.They didnt ask about that?

normaly you have to give copy rental contract,copy ID card/ passport and I guess have to give copy of there taibienban

if you are Thai so mabay that can make the difference?

Edited by crille30

dealing with central telesales office

Say they have "big Problem with foriegner"

What amazes me is they think that demanding work permits is in anyway going to mitigate the problem - the two things are utterly unconnected.

It has to be the most stupid decision of the year by any Thai management.

• Like 1

<p>It's not going to mitigate the problem, but it serves to show the customer has an income so is more likely to be able to pay, and is present and settled in the country at that moment in time.

I know it is a pain for some, but looking on it from True's perspective, it's probably an easy check to implement.

A better method is possibly checking for visa type and tourist visas can only apply with prepayment.

Edited by LucidLucifer

<p>It's not going to mitigate the problem, but it serves to show the customer has an income so is more likely to be able to pay, and is present and settled in the country at that moment in time.

I know it is a pain for some, but looking on it from True's perspective, it's probably an easy check to implement.

A better method is possibly checking for visa type and tourist visas can only apply with prepayment.

actully I HAVE looked at it from True's perspective and it is decidedly warped.

THey are the ONLY company that seems to ask for this amount of documentation.

TOt, Driving licence, buying a car....not requires - in fact it I at present can't think of any circumstance where it is required. Only true think it will help. how it can possibly help is also a mystery.

Whatcan this check possibly achieve over and above D/L or passport?

KLet's be honest - it's just another pointless layer of documentation

Edited by cowslip

6 months ago. I dealt with the people at the stall at Ekkamai Medical Center (or whatever it is called). That new looking building near the bus terminal.
as I've suggested this appears to be a new prerequisite - my experience is this week. Edited by cowslip

actully I HAVE looked at it from True's perspective and it is decidedly warped.

THey are the ONLY company that seems to ask for this amount of documentation.

TOt, Driving licence, buying a car....not requires - in fact it I at present can't think of any circumstance where it is required. Only true think it will help. how it can possibly help is also a mystery.

I gave you a reason why it would help, is proving you are resident in the country unreasonable?

Ask yourself, would you be able to sign up for something in your home country with just a tourist visa? I doubt it. With post-paid bills you are basically receiving credit, I can't blame them for making sure you actually live here, I think it's completely reasonable. If I was a business owner i'd be asking for the same.

With buying a car you wouldn't be able to get finance and getting a driving license requires proof of residence.

I agree that only accepting a work permit is limiting, but the principle is fine. As I said in my first post, they should also accept other non-imm visas.

Edited by LucidLucifer

I just called the head office and signed the contract when the installation guy came around the next day. No mention of workpermit (which I don't have) or special visa status being required (I was on a non immigrant 0 visa at the time).

Sophon

• Like 1

Ask yourself, would you be able to sign up for something in your home country with just a tourist visa? I doubt it. With post-paid bills you are basically receiving credit, I can't blame them for making sure you actually live here, I think it's completely reasonable. If I was a business owner i'd be asking for the same.

With buying a car you wouldn't be able to get finance and getting a driving license requires proof of residence.

I agree that only accepting a work permit is limiting, but the principle is fine. As I said in my first post, they should also accept other non-imm visas.

work permit doesn't do that.....you need proof of address from immigration....and that isn't a guarantee of residence - you need a totally different set of docs for that .

- in fact if your work permit is withdrawn you have 7 days to get out....so what good is that?

've bought cars - never needed to show my work permit....True is the only company I can think of who ask for this.

Edited by astral
No need for long quote

I just called the head office and signed the contract when the installation guy came around the next day. No mention of workpermit (which I don't have) or special visa status being required (I was on a non immigrant 0 visa at the time).

Sophon

when??

Some companies have no imagination. If they had half a brain they would just charge the full year up-front.

That way who cares if the person has a WP or not, or if he goes home suddenly? No one.

• Like 1

work permit doesn't do that.....you need proof of address from immigration....and that isn't a guarantee of residence

If you're refering to obtaining a driving license, you're misinformed my friend, a work permit suffices, but that is a completely differnt discussion to one we're having here.

I didn't say you needed a work permit to buy a car. I said you wouldn't be able to get finance on it, a totally different thing. By post-paying for your internet they are in effect giving you finance.

Darrel has jus made a good point about pre-payment, I made the same one. This would be an obvious solution, but sdaly the obvious isn't always so apparent in LoS.

Of course anybody can leave at any time. You could max out your credit cards and leave your home country at anytime. The point is, companies perform checks to weed out the people that are more likely to do something like that, and lend on the balance of risk accordingly.

Someone on a tourist visa is inherently more likely to leave than someone with a work permit and job.

Edited by LucidLucifer

You are missing my point - the reasons they give are "problems with foreigners"THis problem is in no way solved by asking for a work permit....in fact all it does is reduce the number of people who will buy the service.If they want to reduce "defaults" then introduce a pre-ay system.Sorry but I don't need a work permit for finance.I don't need a permit to buy a carI don't need a permit to get a TOT or 3BB a./cI don't need a permit to get a driving licence - many "Tourists" or those on Non imm "O" have them. which is accepted as ID by most companies/hotels etc...who are extending me credit.Non -immigrant "O" permit is not a tourist visa and many of these people are either retirees or married and I would say that you are just guessing about who is likely to go home - anyone who loses their job has 7 days to get out - what do they say to True - sorry no work permit now - you'll have to lump it?I have no objection to a company trying to prevent people defaulting on payment - what I object to is companies that rather than think through the problem, just come up with some ill-thought through idea that unreality has a practical use of ZERO.

Edited by cowslip

I don't need a permit to buy a carI don't need a permit to get a TOT or 3BB a./cI don't need a permit to get a driving licence....

You dont need a WP but you do need a long visa. In fact many things require a long visa (or extension) in Thailand.

I suspect that some (many?) Thai companies fail to fully comprehend the differences and the similarities between a WP and a long visa.

If I was running a company here I would be more inclined to accept as customers those who have long visas rather than those with a WP as many of those with WPs have precarious employment and, by definition, not enough money to stop working. Those with extensions have shown that they have (some) money.

i think as usual, OP spoke to the "wrong" person.

The beauty of Thailand, every time you call, you get a different answer.

You definitely do not need WP for internet connection.

I have a post paid phone service with 10 000 baht limit which i got WITHOUT WP from True, though first girl said i needed WP, second said i did not, third said i needed credit card and fourth asked for bank statement.

Sixth, just put through the application without any of the above and week later, my limit was increased to 10 000 baht per month

8 months later, i received a letter stating that they have suspended my service temporarily at my request but i still owe them 1200 baht, while in the mean time i have not had any problems and my phone has never been suspended.

I love Thailandbiggrin.png

3BB here in Khonkaen had a strange (or protectionist) requirement. If in farang's name, 3 months advance. If in farang's wife's name, 1 year advance.

They claim it's all about farangs skipping out without paying.

Edited by klikster

3BB here in Khonkaen had a strange (or protectionist) requirement. If in farang's name, 3 months advance. If in farang's wife's name, 1 year advance.

They claim it's all about farangs skipping out without paying.

lol, it would seem its the wives who skip out on farang when its 1 year advance if in farangs wife's name compared to 3 months if in farang name