What'S Up At California Wow? Doors Closed...

tropo

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kiss my CWOW membership goodbye..

I went to look at Tony's.I am not making this up, some machines started crying:

" Please get me out of here."

" I dreamed of country clubs when i was in the factory.'

" Please warn the others.."

I ran out of there as fast as I could.

• Like 1

We at leastn you got a bit of cardio out of it ! biggrin.png

Was it really that bad ?

I used to use the open gym on Bukhao and they had 2 TR's, it seemed that there was always one out of sevice, which doesn't give you many options. On the plus side, I did like being able to train at 5-6 am when most of the city was still asleep.

a friend of mine told me today that his friend said pattaya was open today? I am not sure if it is true, will go their after lunch and take a look but if anyone can confirm i would love to know

Was it really that bad ?

Actually it is worse.

I spent over 2 hours in the plastic tent yesterday. I ran out of water after consuming the 3 litres I brought with me. A lot of the equipment is in very sad condition. I could write a long report, but for example, there's only 2 lat pulldowns in the gym and one was out of commission. The one that does work is too low if you have long arms. There were also d-clamps and pins missing from several stacks. The smooth cable crossover (the good one out of the two) is too narrow and only good for Asians with short arms. When you use the preacher bench it's difficult to prevent the larger diameter plates (10kg and 15kg) from hitting the supports.

There are 2 power racks (squat racks) and both have mirrors that only show your upper torso. What's the point of that? - when you can't check your bottom position in the squat. One olympic barbell is bent and should be thrown out. You have to step onto a box to get your plates to load the bar at the rack in the corner. They have different thickness mats intersecting the area where you place your feet when squatting. Other machines I wanted to use were out of order. Some DB's are falling apart. DBs are not clearly marked. They have only one flat bench in the DB area.... I can go on and on. I'll have to get used to my hands being brown from rust after a workout. You couldn't train there in a white shirt.

The bottom line: It's an equipment junk yard pretending to be a gym - and a sauna too. I was doing some of my exercises in the direct sunlight.

I joined up on the lifetime deal, but I'm depressed. I miss the Castra gym 8km away which is cooler, better organised and everything works because there are staff in there who care.

I know, there's the main 3rd Road gym, Jomtien and other Tony's too. I'll get round to training at them over the next few weeks... but Sport World (aka plastic tent) is the best equipped gym in Pattaya (according to the sign).

Just to be fair, there is a lot of good equipment in there. The upper level (the hotter area) has a range of new machines (Eagle and Cybex) which work really well and don't get a lot of use.

Edited by tropo

a friend of mine told me today that his friend said pattaya was open today? I am not sure if it is true, will go their after lunch and take a look but if anyone can confirm i would love to know

The telephone is still off. 038 399999.

It would be bitter sweet if they were open after forking out 15K on Saturday. Tony's had a big signup for lifetime memberships - a lot of ex-Cali Wow members went for it. Some guys jumped in early and missed out on the deal.

Edited by tropo

The telephone is still off. 038 399999.

It would be bitter sweet if they were open after forking out 15K on Saturday. Tony's had a big signup for lifetime memberships - a lot of ex-Cali Wow members went for it. Some guys jumped in early and missed out on the deal.

The rumor was a rumor, my friend said his friend lived by WOW and it was open on Friday and Saturday... but going there today I saw first hand it was closed so I apologize if I gave some people some hope,

Was it really that bad ?

Actually it is worse.

I spent over 2 hours in the plastic tent yesterday. I ran out of water after consuming the 3 litres I brought with me. A lot of the equipment is in very sad condition. I could write a long report, but for example, there's only 2 lat pulldowns in the gym and one was out of commission. The one that does work is too low if you have long arms. There were also d-clamps and pins missing from several stacks. The smooth cable crossover (the good one out of the two) is too narrow and only good for Asians with short arms. When you use the preacher bench it's difficult to prevent the larger diameter plates (10kg and 15kg) from hitting the supports.

There are 2 power racks (squat racks) and both have mirrors that only show your upper torso. What's the point of that? - when you can't check your bottom position in the squat. One olympic barbell is bent and should be thrown out. You have to step onto a box to get your plates to load the bar at the rack in the corner. They have different thickness mats intersecting the area where you place your feet when squatting. Other machines I wanted to use were out of order. Some DB's are falling apart. DBs are not clearly marked. They have only one flat bench in the DB area.... I can go on and on. I'll have to get used to my hands being brown from rust after a workout. You couldn't train there in a white shirt.

The bottom line: It's an equipment junk yard pretending to be a gym - and a sauna too. I was doing some of my exercises in the direct sunlight.

I joined up on the lifetime deal, but I'm depressed. I miss the Castra gym 8km away which is cooler, better organised and everything works because there are staff in there who care.

I know, there's the main 3rd Road gym, Jomtien and other Tony's too. I'll get round to training at them over the next few weeks... but Sport World (aka plastic tent) is the best equipped gym in Pattaya (according to the sign).

Just to be fair, there is a lot of good equipment in there. The upper level (the hotter area) has a range of new machines (Eagle and Cybex) which work really well and don't get a lot of use.

I was in the plastic tent today and I was working out upstairs and the heat was brutal upstairs.

I went around 11 which is my usual time so I am not sure how bad it gets later in the afternoon it must be pure torture then.

I dont know how you could do two hours and i dont know how anyone can do cardio there.

You are also right about the equipment being run down i mentioned that in a previous post.

I am surprised you took the lifetime membership given that his gyms are up for sale.

Still even if you get a year it is not that much money.

Personally I would go for Centara if i knew i would be here all year.

I joined up on the lifetime deal, but I'm depressed.

Oh dear sad.png

I have to say though - I thought that you would be the last person in Pattaya to re-join Tony's w00t.gif

Well, I trained at Tony's for 4 years before. As you know we don't have many choices and I knew I'd have to go back there.

I've trained at the main gym across the road many times before - but this was my first try at the plastic tent.

I dont know how you could do two hours and i dont know how anyone can do cardio there.

You are also right about the equipment being run down i mentioned that in a previous post.

I am surprised you took the lifetime membership given that his gyms are up for sale.

It's takes longer for me to complete the same workload in the heat - I didn't see any clocks in there so I didn't really know exactly how long - I think more like 2.5 hours.

I won't be doing cardio there, that's for sure. I was fortunate to purchase a Concept 2 Rower back in June, so I do my cardio on that in air conditioned comfort at home. I'd like to do cardio at Centara as they have my favourite machine - the Cybex Arc Trainer, but I can't justify the cost just to use one machine.

Oh dear sad.png

I have to say though - I thought that you would be the last person in Pattaya to re-join Tony's w00t.gif

Exactly.... haha... some people and their "conviction" are so funny...

Oh dear sad.png

Exactly.... haha... some people and their "conviction" are so funny...

Here we go again. More people coming in for stab.

My gym choice has nothing to do with "conviction". It's about compromising within the range of choices available and doing the best I can.

Should that mean I become a Tony's fan?

Many times in my life I've been forced to train in sub-standard facilities due to lack of choice. I did that for 6 years in the Philippines. I trained at Tony's before - now I'm doing it again.

The show must go on and it will.

Edited by tropo

It's takes longer for me to complete the same workload in the heat - I didn't see any clocks in there so I didn't really know exactly how long - I think more like 2.5 hours.

I won't be doing cardio there, that's for sure. I was fortunate to purchase a Concept 2 Rower back in June, so I do my cardio on that in air conditioned comfort at home. I'd like to do cardio at Centara as they have my favourite machine - the Cybex Arc Trainer, but I can't justify the cost just to use one machine.

Fair enough.

Downstairs seems a bit better than what it was as they appear to be turning on more of the aircon units maybe as a result of more people training there.

Upstairs thou is a different issue. I was doing mainly leg and ab work today and there is more upstairs for that sort of thing.

I peeked into CaWow Pattaya today and I was wondering if they owners cannot retrieve their equipment or does anyone think they'll re-open in one way or another on the same spot either a new entity or CaWow?

No they can't retrieve under the standard lease agreement and no they won't open again as WOW.

Edited by seadoo

California Wow Fitness clubs will open again but members who didn't pay for a lifetime membership at 40000 Thb at least will have to pay 698 Thb/month to use the gym.

Announcement in Thai at Siam Paragon Cwow.

Tony was smart to "offer" his promotion just in time to catch the greedy people who wanted to pay 14990 lifetime to a club a company that they don't like.

:-)

• Like 1

California Wow Fitness clubs will open again but members who didn't pay for a lifetime membership at 40000 Thb at least will have to pay 698 Thb/month to use the gym.

Tony was smart to "offer" his promotion just in time to catch the greedy people who wanted to pay 14990 lifetime to a club a company that they don't like.

You offer some interesting information, then come back for another stab. You just can't resist.

How does paying for a lifetime membership on offer equate to "greed"? Most people who made the switch are not doing it out of love for Tony's gyms but out of necessity to train. You've got to take your hat off to guys willing to keep at it no matter what the circumstances. Perhaps you're just a couch potato with a big mouth??

Tony wasn't exactly being smart with his timing. Any moron could have figured it out as a great time for a cash grab.

I don't think too many lifetime California Wow members will be willing to fork out 700 baht per month because they've shown their true colours - they just can't be trusted. California Wow is just too deep in the hole.

Post # 659 by BeforeTigers summed it up nicely.

Edited by tropo

I can tell you from my discussions this morning that that will not be the case in Pattaya unless some serious cash is put upfront.

Good news - I'd certainly pay 700 THB a month to use the Pattaya branch. I paid 7999 for my first year there and that seemed good value to me.

I can tell you from my discussions this morning that that will not be the case in Pattaya unless some serious cash is put upfront.

Your discussions?Your not on the board of the Avenue neither Cawow are you?

I have been following this thread since it started as I am/was a lifetime member from Cawow,but as a guest of Thaivisa

Reading your posts made me decide to sign up with Thaivisa as I get sick of them.

It is clear that you have an axe to grind with Cawow.

Please tell us what it is.

Is it the umpteen failures of business that you started up in Thailand and you're jealous if Cawow would survive their current problems ?

Is it you who have the so called option on the premises of Cawow, and hope so to revive your non performing business on the second floor of the Avenue?

I can't wait to see you getting egg on your face once again, since I know you and know how many times this happened already. If Cawow has a court order, which I believe otherwise they would not announce it pubicly, then the management of the Avenue will bend over since they might be powerfull and think they are above the law, but they obviously aren't.

Please give it a break with your negative comments , as you know just as much as anyone else and that is NOTHING, and leave the posters on this thread a glimmer of hope.

Edited by JanKlaasen

Tony's is an awful gym because of the lack of adequate AC for cardio workouts. I can deal with the weights. Took me a week to recover from an interval session on the treadmills on 3rd road Tony's. Not in jest - I think I had a mild heat stroke and almost past out. Not bragging but I do my intervals at 5 min mile pace ( only 1 machine that has the power and the fan blows above it and offers no relieve) and my heart rate screams. Jomtien has 2 nice treadmills but the fans are positioned so they don't cool down these treadmills. This is really starting to piss me off and I need to just buy a treadmill before I lose it. People in the gym stair at me like I'm a freak and usually not insecure but it gets to me.

My injured foot is getting better so with luck I won't need to use the treadmills much longer. Funny how somewhat trivial things here can consume me here in Thailand. I would gladly pay 700 baht a month on top of my lifetime at CA Wow. I hope the Chiang Mai Wow stays open since I'll be there for a few months later this year. Done venting!

Tony's is an awful gym because of the lack of adequate AC for cardio workouts. I can deal with the weights. Took me a week to recover from an interval session on the treadmills on 3rd road Tony's. Not in jest - I think I had a mild heat stroke and almost past out. Not bragging but I do my intervals at 5 min mile pace ( only 1 machine that has the power and the fan blows above it and offers no relieve) and my heart rate screams. Jomtien has 2 nice treadmills but the fans are positioned so they don't cool down these treadmills. This is really starting to piss me off and I need to just buy a treadmill before I lose it. People in the gym stair at me like I'm a freak and usually not insecure but it gets to me.

My injured foot is getting better so with luck I won't need to use the treadmills much longer. Funny how somewhat trivial things here can consume me here in Thailand. I would gladly pay 700 baht a month on top of my lifetime at CA Wow. I hope the Chiang Mai Wow stays open since I'll be there for a few months later this year. Done venting!

I hear you on the no AC, as I have stated I am going to the PRS hotel gym, I like the gym but no AC as well and it can get so hot and I am a somewhat skinny guy. I am usually soaked to my underwear after cardio, I went last night after the rain, it was cool outside, but still i was drenched in sweat after.. One of these days someone is going to drop dead at these non cool gyms unfortunately. and I am also one of those guys taht would pay 700 a month to go back to WOW, however I would not pay for several months at once, just too unstable. I would do a month by month payment though