What'S Up At California Wow? Doors Closed...

tropo

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Join the Pattaya expats club for 600 baht lifetime. Then can use the gym/pool at Mercure hotel free.

What's the gym like?

This ain't no gym,its a snapshot of one. I have used it a couple of times,prepare for major disappointment

Join the Pattaya expats club for 600 baht lifetime. Then can use the gym/pool at Mercure hotel free.

What's the gym like?

Full of women bending over in tiny shorts. Don't drop your weights!

Allow me to rephrase. You suggested the Mecure gym, so I'm asking you what equipment they have.

Edited by tropo

What's the gym like?

Full of women bending over in tiny shorts. Don't drop your weights!

Allow me to rephrase. You suggested the Mecure gym, so I'm asking you what equipment they have.

Not been yet. Only heard about this option an hour ago and it's 23:00 now.

I was hoping this would go unnoticed,its tiny,4 pieces of equipment,1 of them out of order,few weights,not a hope in hell of sustaining more than a couple using the gym.I used it twice,but the problem is it was open to the ex pats,who today have had their use of free wi fi removed,likewise the gym and pool facilities will be removed now through becoming too popular

I was hoping this would go unnoticed,its tiny,4 pieces of equipment,1 of them out of order,few weights,not a hope in hell of sustaining more than a couple using the gym.I used it twice,but the problem is it was open to the ex pats,who today have had their use of free wi fi removed,likewise the gym and pool facilities will be removed now through becoming too popular

Thanks for the report. I shall strike it off my list.

I just heard from a friend who lives in the South Pattaya area. He says the hotel nearby is opening a new gym and it is being fitted out now. It's located in the PRS Hotel. I have never heard of it, nor do i know exactly where or what they gym is like but my friend said that it seems to be going in the right direction, even if it is not fully fitted yet.

Thought I'd just mention it in case anyone wants to google the location and check it out.

Copied this comment over from the other California Wow thread in the Bangkok forum:

Peterkd:

Quote:

"I talked to some of the staff yesterday and they told me that Cwow is finished as Levine has fled Thailand leaving "another farang" to wrap things up.

There is no way the fitness centres that are closed will reopen."

Copied this comment over from the other California Wow thread in the Bangkok forum:

Peterkd:

Quote:

"I talked to some of the staff yesterday and they told me that Cwow is finished as Levine has fled Thailand leaving "another farang" to wrap things up.

sad.png

I just heard from a friend who lives in the South Pattaya area. He says the hotel nearby is opening a new gym and it is being fitted out now. It's located in the PRS Hotel. I have never heard of it, nor do i know exactly where or what they gym is like but my friend said that it seems to be going in the right direction, even if it is not fully fitted yet.

Thought I'd just mention it in case anyone wants to google the location and check it out.

i have been there it actually is a pretty good gym and been going to it.

Problem is it has zero Air conditioning and hardly any fans, just open windows right now. I am 175 pounds and 6 feet, and I sweat like a race horse in the gym, so hot that when I put my sunglassess on after the gym they steam up:)

However I like the gym and am dealing with it, but for a larger set person, this might be a tough one

from what i hear the owner of the gym didnt put the AC in because they thought it looked better with out, which seems kind of silly. However they are looking into it.

250 a day, 2500 a month, 15000 about a year

pool yes- not huge but yes

sauna yes

Peterkd:

Quote:

Yep and looks like Siam Futures in Pattaya will have a ready made fully fitted out business to lease to someone -Shhhh it's a secret who it is!!!

Problem is it has zero Air conditioning and hardly any fans, just open windows right now. I am 175 pounds and 6 feet, and I sweat like a race horse in the gym, so hot that when I put my sunglassess on after the gym they steam up:)

However I like the gym and am dealing with it, but for a larger set person, this might be a tough one

from what i hear the owner of the gym didnt put the AC in because they thought it looked better with out, which seems kind of silly. However they are looking into it.

sauna yes

Is the sauna idea a joke?

Peterkd:

Quote:

Yep and looks like Siam Futures in Pattaya will have a ready made fully fitted out business to lease to someone -Shhhh it's a secret who it is!!!

Be great if someone did take it over and re-start it, as it is. I'd re-join, even if I had to shell out for a new membership package. As some other posters have mentioned and others are probably finding-out, there's really nothing like it around (although Centara looks good).

It's quiet at the moment, but once we move into Sep / Oct time I imagine there's going to be a lot of money to be made from winter visitors; I guess it's going to be a busy and long high season this year.

And I also hope that some of the CaWOW employees will get their jobs back - I never used the Personal Trainers myself but they seemed a good bunch to me.

sauna yes

Is the sauna idea a joke?

haha i was thinking the same thing cause after a workout if i went to the sauna I would just die, but there is a pool so perhaps if you are just swimming and want to relax in the sauna after.... but if you are doing weights you will sweat big time and if you are doing cardio well even more sweat for me... sauna isnt in the plans after either

sauna yes

At those prices with no airconditioning and few fans you'll have no problems with crowds.

Peterkd:

Quote:

Would you hazard a guess on the time frame for someone to take it over?

Mercure's gym:

yeah that be pretty small, that is something that would do if you were in a hotel and needed a quick workout or something, or for someone that just needs a light workout program.. nice little set up though

California WOW – Have they just figured out it’s a scam?

why is it a scam? A quick google search of other california fitness chains around the region (Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea, Singapore, and Malaysia) will show you exactly what I’m referring to, in each of these countries the California Fitness gyms went bankrupt.

http://thaicapitalist.com/2012/04/california-wow-have-they-just-figured-out-its-a-scam/

Peterkd:

Quote:

What about the house?

Peterkd:

Quote:

What about the house?

No photos of the gym, but with 80 pieces of equipment I'm sure it would do for a good workout.

As a CaliWow member, I'm just wondering what the other members are doing for exercise? I'm going up the wall but doing a lot of cycling. I've invited all members to do a Pratumnak hill climb with me every 2nd day starting Wednesday morning (see other thread).

Peterkd:

Quote:

What about the house?

No photos of the gym, but with 80 pieces of equipment I'm sure it would do for a good workout.

Oh...apparently sold to a Russian buyer a couple of years ago for USD$24 million. Source