What'S Up At California Wow? Doors Closed...

tropo

Tropo,

This thread is entertaining because of its lack of balance. I think you have perspective but many posters seem to think their means of staying fit is the end all. Also, don't we workout to look good and what looks good is not universal. I see some of the body builder types and think I would rather be frail and weak. The point I'm trying to make is that we all look at ourselves differently and have specific goals. Does squatting 500 lbs make you more fit than someone maxing out at 300 lbs. Not IMO, but I could give a rats arse. What ever rocks your boat - you only live once and have at it.

By the way, all of you would laugh at my obsessed workout routine. Far from healthy at this point but I'm a very fast runner. Well not now but once my feet recover from the abuse. Off to find a treadmill to drench at Tony's sauna.

• Like 1

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a gym orphan now, I ventured to the Marriot to check out their gym. They wanted thb35,000 for 12 months. For that I get free coffee and fruits after the work-out. biggrin.png

Dusit's gym was more reasonable at thb24,000 for 14 months. The gym has such low ceilings, I'd recommend you not join if you are a tall-ish sort of bloke.

Centara's gym is thb27,000 for 12 months. Lovely facilities for the ladies giggle.gif . Seriously though, it is not bad because the equipment is all new.

Fairtex's gym-only membership is thb 8639 for 12 months at current promo. It'll do if you can work out there when it is not so crowded.

I admit it...I have been spoilt by CAWOW.

Being a gym orphan now, I ventured to the Marriot to check out their gym. They wanted thb35,000 for 12 months. For that I get free coffee and fruits after the work-out. biggrin.png

Dusit's gym was more reasonable at thb24,000 for 14 months. The gym has such low ceilings, I'd recommend you not join if you are a tall-ish sort of bloke.

Centara's gym is thb27,000 for 12 months. Lovely facilities for the ladies giggle.gif . Seriously though, it is not bad because the equipment is all new.

Fairtex's gym-only membership is thb 8639 for 12 months at current promo. It'll do if you can work out there when it is not so crowded.

Thanks for your report.

I was about to do the rounds myself but haven't got round to it yet.

Can you please tell me, do any of these hotel gyms have a squat rack, a decent amount of free weights (including olympic bars) and dumbbells?

Have you seen a Cybex Arc Trainer anywhere?

These quoted prices are in my experience usually subject to negotiation and often discounts are available.

Dusit price looks okay if the gym is of a high standard. Works out around 1700 a month.

Edited by Tolley

Thanks for your report.

I was about to do the rounds myself but haven't got round to it yet.

Can you please tell me, do any of these hotel gyms have a squat rack, a decent amount of free weights (including olympic bars) and dumbbells?

Have you seen a Cybex Arc Trainer anywhere?

Marriot, Dusit, Fairtex all have squat racks...not sure about Centara. They all seem to gave adequate free weights based on the number of users when I visited (around 10am- noon). I was not sure what a cyber-arc is but I googled and saw a pic. Specifically I am not sure if all the gyms have cyber arc, but certainly they all had some version of steppers/elliptical machines.

Good research, there is also the A-1 Cruise Boat Hotel on Beach Rd that has a decent gym for a hotel. What is nice about the gyms mentioned is that they do supply fresh towls, have sauna and steam room, equipment is clean, and the staff will know your name after a few weeks. The negative factor,( besides the expensive annual fee) , is that these gyms are busy in the evening. If you don't work during the day, then between 9- 5 is the perfect time to go to these fitness centers. If you are like me, I do not spend my money of golfing or any other sport -or drinking beer during the week-so, I don't mind belonging to one of these fitness centers. The fee isn't anymore than what it would be back home and it is keeping me healthy which saves money on medical care.

I was in Centara for something else today and passed by their gym to check it out. They're not heavy on free weight equipment, they have some but it is obviously not the priority for this gym. Lots and lots of unused machines though. I took a couple of pictures - see below. It was mid-afternoon and the gym was virtually empty. Presumably at peak hours there'll be a few guests training.

Individual membership 27.200/year, couples 37,400/year. This includes free use of the gym, tennis and the outdoor pool facility - probably the most beautiful adventure pool in Pattaya.

The small print also says the membership give 50% discount on room rates among others, so at Centara published room rates the membership card could earn itself in on a two week holiday.

Anyway, way over my budget, but for someone with the money and wish to pamper himself I thought it looked really nice.

post-1539-0-19161400-1342786877_thumb.jp

post-1539-0-74118500-1342786907_thumb.jp post-1539-0-43202700-1342786925_thumb.jp post-1539-0-47776000-1342786942_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Tropo,

This thread is entertaining because of its lack of balance. I think you have perspective but many posters seem to think their means of staying fit is the end all. Also, don't we workout to look good and what looks good is not universal. I see some of the body builder types and think I would rather be frail and weak. The point I'm trying to make is that we all look at ourselves differently and have specific goals. Does squatting 500 lbs make you more fit than someone maxing out at 300 lbs. Not IMO, but I could give a rats arse. What ever rocks your boat - you only live once and have at it.

By the way, all of you would laugh at my obsessed workout routine. Far from healthy at this point but I'm a very fast runner. Well not now but once my feet recover from the abuse. Off to find a treadmill to drench at Tony's sauna.

Certainly I'm a bodybuilder, but I'm not a guy who goes on stage with bikini briefs and oil. I have a view of how I want to look and that's my personal goal.

I respect any person who gets down to the gym or heads out to the park or the pool or gets off his butt to do any form of exercise. It would be pretty dull if we all had the same goals.

In my frame of reference, a bodybuilder is any person who wishes to increase his muscle mass to any level.

Good research, there is also the A-1 Cruise Boat Hotel on Beach Rd that has a decent gym for a hotel. What is nice about the gyms mentioned is that they do supply fresh towls, have sauna and steam room, equipment is clean, and the staff will know your name after a few weeks. The negative factor,( besides the expensive annual fee) , is that these gyms are busy in the evening. If you don't work during the day, then between 9- 5 is the perfect time to go to these fitness centers. If you are like me, I do not spend my money of golfing or any other sport -or drinking beer during the week-so, I don't mind belonging to one of these fitness centers. The fee isn't anymore than what it would be back home and it is keeping me healthy which saves money on medical care.

So which gym have you chosen?

I was in Centara for something else today and passed by their gym to check it out. They're not heavy on free weight equipment, they have some but it is obviously not the priority for this gym. Lots and lots of unused machines though. I took a couple of pictures - see below.

Individual membership 27.200/year, couples 37,400/year. This includes free use of the gym, tennis and the outdoor pool facility - probably the most beautiful adventure pool in Pattaya.

The small print also says the membership give 50% discount on room rates among others, so at Centara published room rates the membership card could earn itself in on a two week holiday.

Anyway, way over my budget, but for someone with the money and wish to pamper himself I thought it looked really nice.

post-1539-0-74118500-1342786907_thumb.jp post-1539-0-43202700-1342786925_thumb.jp post-1539-0-47776000-1342786942_thumb.jp

Well I've spotted my favourite cardio machine in your photos - the Cybex Arc Trainer. They've got 3. Do they have any free weights or dumbbells - I can't spot any in the photos. The machine line up looks good.

I was in Centara for something else today and passed by their gym to check it out. They're not heavy on free weight equipment, they have some but it is obviously not the priority for this gym. Lots and lots of unused machines though. I took a couple of pictures - see below.

Well I've spotted my favourite cardio machine in your photos - the Cybex Arc Trainer. They've got 3. Do they have any free weights or dumbbells - I can't spot any in the photos. The machine line up looks good.

I know I should have checked but I was in a bit of a hurry and didn't think about it. If you look carefully at the first picture, right in the middle, down the back, there's an A rack with some weights, but not much details. Maybe call and ask them, their phone number is on the flyer I scanned :)

I know I should have checked but I was in a bit of a hurry and didn't think about it. If you look carefully at the first picture, right in the middle, down the back, there's an A rack with some weights, but not much details. Maybe call and ask them, their phone number is on the flyer I scanned smile.png

I forgot to mention, they've even got two Concept 2 rowers seen in one of the photos. A fantastic gym for cardio - will head down there for a look soon.

I wonder if they would give 2 friends a couple joining rate?

I forgot to mention, they've even got two Concept 2 rowers seen in one of the photos. A fantastic gym for cardio - will head down there for a look soon.

I wonder if they would give 2 friends a couple joining rate?

Only one way to find out. You could always try holding hands ... ;)

• Like 2

Just in case anyone is wondering - California Wow was locked up tight today with no notices posted. Not a good sign.

I read in the paper today that True Fitness, a Singapore fitness chain, is stepping in to fill the California Wow void. With some luck, they may set up a gym in Pattaya.

Just in case anyone is wondering - California Wow was locked up tight today with no notices posted. Not a good sign.

I read in the paper today that True Fitness, a Singapore fitness chain, is stepping in to fill the California Wow void. With some luck, they may set up a gym in Pattaya.

That sound good, maybe they will honor CalWOW memberships, although not likely.

I tried to locate True Fitness email address and couldn't. I think it would be a good idea for us who are missing CA WOW email the headquarters to let them know there is an interest of them re-opening the place. Can anyone else locate the email address?

I tried to locate True Fitness email address and couldn't. I think it would be a good idea for us who are missing CA WOW email the headquarters to let them know there is an interest of them re-opening the place. Can anyone else locate the email address?

I had a quick search of their Thai website and could not locate an email address for their three gyms already open in Bangkok. There were phone numbers, but no email addresses. However, a search of their Singapore website reveals a list of email addresses, including a "customer service" email address which is [email protected]

Their websites are: http://www.truefitness.co.th/ for Thailand and http://www.truefitness.com.sg/ for Singapore.

Surely, if they opened a gym in a good location in Pattaya, it would be profitable for them.

I just had a read of the CW website and it talks about the owners of the location has cut off there electrical supplies

http://www.californiawowx.com/Home/home.php

I keep telling everyone it is not the owners (Siam Futures) that have cut their power it is PEA themselves so all this talk on their websites and signs posted on walls at their premises saying they are taking court action against Siam Futures is wrong they would need to take action against PEA.

I personally don't know how their business models can work. I am not privy to what they pay in rent but a similar size space at AVE Pattaya rents for about 120k per month, now given their open use of electricity ie air con, escalators, lighting, machines etc their electric bill would a assume be 100k plus per month, then their water bill which is supplied and paid direct to Siam Futures, probably another 30k plus given showers etc, staffing costs, not sure how many staff they have but let's assume basic 10-15k each per month, advertising materials, etc etc etc.

Now I am not sure what a membership costs but how many memberships would you have to sell each month to break even.

Now let's assume 50% stay committed and returned regularly to train, at what point would they gym become overcrowded that selling more memberships would not be feasible without expansion.

Questions about these types of businesses I have always wondered and probably explains why so many fall over.

Thanks for checking that place out. Is this the Centara in Naklua or the new one near Bangkok Bank on 2nd road?

I just had a read of the CW website and it talks about the owners of the location has cut off there electrical supplies

http://www.californi...m/Home/home.php

I keep telling everyone it is not the owners (Siam Futures) that have cut their power it is PEA themselves so all this talk on their websites and signs posted on walls at their premises saying they are taking court action against Siam Futures is wrong they would need to take action against PEA.

Whilst you may very well be right, I wonder what your source is and how credible/reliable? This recent and fairly definitive statement from CAWOW states succinctly that CAWOW will sue the landlords for acting in contravention of a court order (which I presumed is a court sanctioned scheme or arrangement with all creditors). The old statement pasted on the front door lacked credibility but this recent statement has attributed a director's name, amount of financial loss sustained, the nature of the legal action CAWOW will take etc etc.

Now, don't you think they would be pretty stupid to make a definitive statement (as opposed to vague statements before) and mention the WRONG party in their legal action? PEA is not mentioned as party to the legal action at all. Whilst CAWOW may be incompetent in some respects, I doubt that they can be really that stupid or dishonest!

Whilst you may very well be right, I wonder what your source is and how credible/reliable? This recent and fairly definitive statement from CAWOW states succinctly that CAWOW will sue the landlords for acting in contravention of a court order (which I presumed is a court sanctioned scheme or arrangement with all creditors). The old statement pasted on the front door lacked credibility but this recent statement has attributed a director's name, amount of financial loss sustained, the nature of the legal action CAWOW will take etc etc.

Now, don't you think they would be pretty stupid to make a definitive statement (as opposed to vague statements before) and mention the WRONG party in their legal action? PEA is not mentioned as party to the legal action at all. Whilst CAWOW may be incompetent in some respects, I doubt that they can be really that stupid or dishonest!

With respect, if you bothered to read previous posts you would notice that I stated I have a shop at the AVE and I am very aware more so than any how the systems work there.

What comes immediately to mind here is why would one believe them for one second, for example the following alleged circumstances;

- They failed to disclose financially

- They failed to keep creditors and more so members informed.

- They failed to communicate to members on openings and other issues.

- They continued to sell memberships whilst in trouble.

- They have shown utter contempt in their dealings with their customers.

Should I go on?

So would you trust something that may just be a way of blame shifting given a track record to date.

The above all purely alleged.

Sorry, did not read previous posts. Forgive me, there are 20 pages of them!

So you are tenant and on that basis you form your opinion? Is it possible your tenancy terms are different from CAWOW, after all Major was a shareholder in CAWOW before and their terms might be different from yours? Again, sorry if you you mentioned this already in the last 20 pages, I am just wanting to establish why CAWOW would make the recent public statement that is so contrary to what you said about PEA.

Sorry, did not read previous posts. Forgive me, there are 20 pages of them!

So you are tenant and on that basis you form your opinion? Is it possible your tenancy terms are different from CAWOW, after all Major was a shareholder in CAWOW before and their terms might be different from yours? Again, sorry if you you mentioned this already in the last 20 pages, I am just wanting to establish why CAWOW would make the recent public statement that is so contrary to what you said about PEA.

Irrespective of variations in lease contracts we all pay our electric to one entity.