Moving To Thailand...How Hard Can It Be?

villagefarang

Unless you speak Thai it is hard to understand how much of a difference it makes.thumbsup.gif

Until you learn to speak Thai, you don't understand how happy you were, living in ignorance.

Whether it is one of the many things I have done lately, like getting the car serviced, renewing a driver’s license and car registration, extending my visa, getting things done by phone or simply asking for directions on remote roads or trails, their manner changes dramatically when they can actually have a normal conversation with me. I find much of their perceived hostility or indifference is no more than fear and trepidation.

Car service, wife speaks Thai, better and cheaper if the garage don't see a foreigner.

Driving License and car registration, less problems if pretend to not speak Thai.

Visa, immigration speak English.

Get things done by phone ...... almost impossible in any language.

Directions on remote roads/trails ...... never met a Thai who had any idea about directions. Satnav is great.

Normal conversation ....... never managed that with a Thai in any language.

I actually find it much easier to interact with most Thais while pretending not to speak Thai.

When you speak Thai, I find many officials find all sorts of excuses to not do something, when you can't, they just do it to get rid of you ASAP.

So you seem to imply that you actually speak Thai quite well, yet find things easier when you don’t. That is an interest postulation. Anyway, you have some colorful if not completely fanciful ideas.wacko.png

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Hipdude , do all your Ten Children have shoes ? Just thinking out aloud is all. and what are you Smoking, I need some of it for my Tall Poppies Syndrome biggrin.png

Peace Bro ! thumbsup.gif

Peace to you, too, dude. Remember Woodstock?

Hey Hipdude , do all your Ten Children have shoes ? Just thinking out aloud is all. and what are you Smoking, I need some of it for my Tall Poppies Syndrome biggrin.png

Peace Bro ! thumbsup.gif

Peace to you, too, dude. Remember Woodstock?

I do, I love Charlie Brown!

Unless you speak Thai it is hard to understand how much of a difference it makes.thumbsup.gif

i can vividly imagine the big difference it will make when you discuss e.g. the perceived currency/debt crisis in €URoland and its potential economic global implications including any impact on Thailand with your Thai friend / neighbour / acquaintance / wife / partner / girlfriend / boyfriend.

whistling.gif

I am unlikely to be discussing such things with anyone to be honest.wink.png

I am however less likely to be ignored by Thais who fear the sometimes emotional rants of foreigners who don’t understand why English is not of more importance to the average Thai.

Whether it is one of the many things I have done lately, like getting the car serviced, renewing a driver’s license and car registration, extending my visa, getting things done by phone or simply asking for directions on remote roads or trails, their manner changes dramatically when they can actually have a normal conversation with me. I find much of their perceived hostility or indifference is no more than fear and trepidation.

All this may seem insignificant to some but clearly being able to talk makes my life here much more enjoyable. Then again I do like the sound of my own voice, being the egocentric narcissistic blogger that I am.thumbsup.gif

My Thai is nowhere near the level of VFs though it is the language I use in everyday communication. i agree that with even a little knowledge of spoken thai life becomes a lot more pleasant and productive.

It is however not a requisite to living here. But living without it may need a higher level of expenditure which is fine.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 2

Wow, what a way to make your third post. I took a look at VF's blog for first time the other day while avoiding doing work again and my impression was that he has his life pretty well sorted the way he wants. Why do you think you need children to be fulfilled? That just shows you lack something inside yourself.

Thanks for the kind words saorsa and thanks for stopping by the blog. With 275 posts you are bound to find something of interest if you stop by again and browse around a little. A little work avoidance is not an altogether bad thing.thumbsup.gif

Dude, who do you think reads your blog? I've come across it before.

I don't get the point of it.

I read it today.

Nice guy, nice woman, nice village, beautiful photos, good writing.

You, Dude? Frustrated, no woman? Looks like....

• Like 2

Wow, what a way to make your third post. I took a look at VF's blog for first time the other day while avoiding doing work again and my impression was that he has his life pretty well sorted the way he wants. Why do you think you need children to be fulfilled? That just shows you lack something inside yourself.

Thanks for the kind words saorsa and thanks for stopping by the blog. With 275 posts you are bound to find something of interest if you stop by again and browse around a little. A little work avoidance is not an altogether bad thing.thumbsup.gif

I'm becoming a bit of an expert in work avoidance on this job...delegation is the key! :)

• Like 1

Perhaps I have been remiss in not thanking the Dude guy for promoting my blog.wink.png Thanks also to the rest of you for your kind words.smile.png

My pleasure. See if you can check out a blog by a Romanian guy in Thailand. I think he's an archer. He writes well. I'll send you the link if I come across him again.

Saw the photos of yours in the Chiang Rai forum. The ones with the skies. You mention your camera. With better gear, you'd be more able to capture those ice crystals. The photo you've posted looks as though it suffers from some sort of chromatic aberration. A better lens would (should) be able to handle this kind of subject matter more proficiently.

Perhaps I have been remiss in not thanking the Dude guy for promoting my blog.wink.png Thanks also to the rest of you for your kind words.smile.png

My pleasure. See if you can check out a blog by a Romanian guy in Thailand. I think he's an archer. He writes well. I'll send you the link if I come across him again.

Saw the photos of yours in the Chiang Rai forum. The ones with the skies. You mention your camera. With better gear, you'd be more able to capture those ice crystals. The photo you've posted looks as though it suffers from some sort of chromatic aberration. A better lens would (should) be able to handle this kind of subject matter more proficiently.

coffee1.gif Are the schools out on holiday?

coffee1.gif Are the schools out on holiday?

Cool post, man. Constructive. Witty. Thoughtful.

Go easy on the poor dude......he strikes me as a barefaced kid with one of those blank puppy faces who has come here and just discovered that he can get " great Thai food" at 7/11 and tries to share this with the world before he finds out what really exists.

Bliss Dude....... or is that before your time

Edited by harrry
  • Like 2

Here is a shot I took on my ride this afternoon. The clouds were brilliant today.

Sky%2520%2520001.jpg

Incredible sky! Thanks for sharing.

Incredibly over shopped sky.

What a boring place the world would be if we all agreed, all the time.biggrin.png

I disagree

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules