Landing/Departure Cards For Thai Nationals

theoldgit

They have started using the e passport when going out. But once past the machine still had to get stamp. I asked why,as it's repetitive work. Immigration officer said it's cos other countries only slowly registering that Thais now use electronic. Lol so yeh we can use epassport but need exit stamp too. At least for next few months.

Departure card still used too. And again at entry.

We came back in two days ago, Cards in/out required BUT whereas I used to go with wife through Thai counter when entering Thailand you can no longer do it, as Thais are NOT stamped in now, they just did her fingerprint and swiped her passport and that was it. I was told to queue with all the rest , bummer ! and why, well because those desks no longer have stamps.

Thanks for the, useful, replies chaps, it was no more than a matter of interest.

The immigration authorities announced they were going to do away with them some time ago as they served no useful purpose for their own nationals, I just wondered if they followed it through.

Thanks again.

We came back in two days ago, Cards in/out required BUT whereas I used to go with wife through Thai counter when entering Thailand you can no longer do it, as Thais are NOT stamped in now, they just did her fingerprint and swiped her passport and that was it. I was told to queue with all the rest , bummer ! and why, well because those desks no longer have stamps.

My wife and I returned from the UK on friday afternoon and I was allowed to go through the Thai passport check-in with her.

Admittedly the woman on the gate into the area did say no but then the guy in charge came up and said if officialy married then its ok.

I was very relieved because the queues on the other side were huge.

By the way Charlie, many Thai's were ignoring the electronic thingy and queuing up for the manual check-in, as my wife did because I was with her. The desks definately do have the stamps, so I guess it differs as to which shift you are dealing with.

HL biggrin.png

My wife and I returned from the UK on friday afternoon and I was allowed to go through the Thai passport check-in with her.

Admittedly the woman on the gate into the area did say no but then the guy in charge came up and said if officialy married then its ok.

I was very relieved because the queues on the other side were huge.

By the way Charlie, many Thai's were ignoring the electronic thingy and queuing up for the manual check-in, as my wife did because I was with her. The desks definately do have the stamps, so I guess it differs as to which shift you are dealing with.

HL biggrin.png

Same here; came back in to CNX from MCA and went with wifey through Thai desk and no problem for me.

Not so in CNX; no fingerprints for wifey just the usual stamps etc with cards required. It will take several years for regional airports to catch up.

Nothing wrong with doing away with entry/exit stamps for local Thai passports as they serve no purpose but waste space. European passports are not stamped upon entry/exit of the Eu/Switzerland and neither are Australian passports when passing through Australian or NZ customs - these details can be stored electronically.

However, even Aussies and Kiwis still need to fill in departure/arrival cards when departing/arriving into Australia/NZ; therefore, I think the Thais should adopt the same procedures as those 2 countries: everyone is treated the same and has to fill out a departure card before departure and an arrival card upon arriving, which is NOT stapled into your passport, but retained by immigration when you pass through. This means Thais should NOT have an arrival card stapled into their passport upon exiting the country, and foreigners should NOT have a departure card stapled into their passport during their stay in Thailand.