Two Men Arrested For Stabbing Murder Of Phuket Tourist Michelle Smith

webfact

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Everyone does need to ask : what human benefit comes from watching the video ? And does anyone care about the feeling of the grieving relatives ?

If you don't like it or have a weak stomach for such content then don't watch it. Simple. There is a warning.

I didn't watch it. And you didn't answer either of my questions.

I'm surprised that anyone would object to the display of this video. It's an illustration and warning of the type of 'snatch and run' theft that often takes place in many countries. Women are particularly at risk from this type of theft because they usually carry a handbag containing all their valuables.

Not everyone has seen what exactly happens with this type of theft, so this video can provide some useful lessons, such as:

(1) Be very wary and vigilant if one is walking in a deserted street at night, carrying a handbag, and one sees a motorbike heading towards one.

(2) If one fails to anticipate what could happen, and the assailant succeeds in grabbing hold of the bag, don't struggle.

(3) Better still, when in foreign and undeveloped countries where this type of robbery probably occurs more frequently than it does in Australia, try to avoid using a handbag over one's shoulder. Use pockets and/or a money-belt under one's clothes.

Compared with the gore and violence one sees in the average movie, this video is not gory. In fact, after a brief struggle, the two ladies walk away from the scene looking as though they are physically okay. My first reaction was that this video is a reconstruction of the event. The resolution is too low for it to be gory.

Now it's true that the feelings of the grieving relatives of Mrs Smith might be affected for the worse, on viewing this video, but not necessarily.

The best that can now happen is for the real culprits to be caught and punished, and for the precise circumstances of the tragic event to be broadcast, in the hope that people will learn from it. Actually seeing how the real event occurred can be more meaningful than merely reading about it.

If people need to be warned via video then a re-enactment can do that. This clip shows a lady about to drop dead for real.

Nobody really needs to see this sort of crime on video cos we ALL know this stuff goes on in any country, BUT most of us/me are of the ''It won't happen to me '' mindset with most stuff.

• Like 1

Why, prithee, would someone be videoiing an empty street quite by chance? The robbery seems very inept and badly rehearsed to me.

That's the first thing I thought too. It seems very odd. Is it suppose to be footage from a 'fixed' CCTV camera, or someone holding a video camera? Because the camera is moving around. Why would someone just be randomly filming an empty street?

As has already been posited, this is a video of a video. CCTV vids are full of tapes recording empty areas ... Doesn't take much working out. A conversation between two Thai people can be overheard together with what sounds like the opening and closing of big heavy file cabinet drawers and the distant sound of a typewriter, at a local plod shop.

Why, prithee, would someone be videoiing an empty street quite by chance? The robbery seems very inept and badly rehearsed to me.

That's the first thing I thought too. It seems very odd. Is it suppose to be footage from a 'fixed' CCTV camera, or someone holding a video camera? Because the camera is moving around. Why would someone just be randomly filming an empty street?

As has already been posited, this is a video of a video. CCTV vids are full of tapes recording empty areas ... Doesn't take much working out. A conversation between two Thai people can be overheard together with what sounds like the opening and closing of big heavy file cabinet drawers and the distant sound of a typewriter, at a local plod shop.

Whilst everyone has been talking about the quality of the CCTV footage for 9 pages, did anyone actually realised that they arrested 2 men for the murder? Apparenty the poor woman was murdered to pay for a $9.50 (AUD) 300 baht restuarant bill.

Yes I know this thread is about CCTV footage quality and not about an arrest just thought some might want to know. Ok back on the topic of CCTV.

Edited by chooka

"May be a good idea to find out if it is the right two men first"

Do you really think this matters to the BIB, remember this murder

has the potential to damage Phukets tourist industry. If they are

the murders, I sincerely hope that they are punished to the full

extent of the law.

Unfortunately it happens too often in TH that police take 2 poor suckers who have nothing to do with that crime... Only to show media they acted very fast..... poor guys ( i mean the 2 "victims" whistling.gif )

and now from the peanut gallery.....hit-the-fan.gif

So have the accuseds parents got a good bank balance ?? if so settle out of court, it's easy that way and the vitims will be satisfied with money payments, same as the toll incident. If no bank balance Bkk Hilton, sodomised, play with the cockroaches, chained up like the farrang-emaciated. See how a few baht can alter situations.

Whilst everyone has been talking about the quality of the CCTV footage for 9 pages, did anyone actually realised that they arrested 2 men for the murder? Apparenty the poor woman was murdered to pay for a $9.50 (AUD) 300 baht restuarant bill.

Yes I know this thread is about CCTV footage quality and not about an arrest just thought some might want to know. Ok back on the topic of CCTV.

speachless

I was pulled off my motorbike two years ago while I was driving on the mountain pass between Kata and Nai Harn, near the Reggae Bar restaurant area. It was done by two Thai boys on motorbike. They grabbed my bag while I was driving. I went to the police and asked them if they had CCTV and they denied having it. If there is CCTV footage in some alleyway, what about in that region between Kata and Nai Harn, or were the police just not doing their job?

I am glad that this deceased woman might have justice for her murder, but what about the police doing their job for people who have lesser injuries from attacks on the streets of Phuket? I got absolutely no help at all.

There is CCTV at the viewpoint, but mostly not working.

You'll be glad to know though that about 2 years ago I saw 2 women get robbed by bag snatchers on that road, followed the guys and got their licenseplate, they got scared and threw out the bag with driving license etc. in it, only money and mobile phone missing, returned to help the 2 ladies to the police station and identified the culprits who subsequently got arrested.

There's something fishy about this story....

How the police managed to catch the two men is beyond me. If they have caught the actual killers then they have done really well but I have no idea how they managed that. Seems too good to be true. Also, I hope this video is only online at the request of her family, otherwise it should not be online. Especially YouTube.

You forget there was a cash reweard of 300,000 baht, money is the only God here. I find it amusing the chief of police in Phuket pledged a 100,000 for an arrest, now he is one smart cop knowing they didnt stand a snowflake in hells chance of doing an arrest on their own.

That's how most crimes are solved. Not by CSI TV fluff but by cops offering money and finding witnesses. Most criminals can't keep their mouth shut and talk to someone about their deed.

How the police managed to catch the two men is beyond me. If they have caught the actual killers then they have done really well but I have no idea how they managed that. Seems too good to be true. Also, I hope this video is only online at the request of her family, otherwise it should not be online. Especially YouTube.

You forget there was a cash reweard of 300,000 baht, money is the only God here. I find it amusing the chief of police in Phuket pledged a 100,000 for an arrest, now he is one smart cop knowing they didnt stand a snowflake in hells chance of doing an arrest on their own.

That's how most crimes are solved. Not by CSI TV fluff but by cops offering money and finding witnesses. Most criminals can't keep their mouth shut and talk to someone about their deed.

It was not talk here that did them in. One of them could not pay his dinner bill (300 Baht), but promised to return shortly with the money. The restaurant holder recognised him from the CCTV footage.

If there is no immediate arrest then we're told that it's a cover-up and that nothing more will be heard about it.

If there is an arrest then of course the police must have it wrong.

If they arrest a farang, then the police are trying to blame someone other than a Thai.

If they arrest a Thai, then it has to be some poor unsuspecting country bumpkin.

Yes, I think you have captured the state of affairs quite accurately... well done, ol' chap!

If I may add one more piece to your excellent comment it's this; This is the murder/manslaughter

of an Australian citizen. In Australia we don't have the death penalty for any crime in any state.

I would like to think that is a civilised stance. Please don't therefore call for the death penalty

here.

My guess is Aussies stay in jail after being sentenced. Thais don't.

Perhaps under intense pressure all they did was hand in "business associates"

I am sick to death of people like you suggesting that the Thai police will just hand anyone in as sacrificial lambs for slaughter.

They are not as stupid as people like you are, fact!!!

You don't live in Thailand, do you.

• Like 1

I was pulled off my motorbike two years ago while I was driving on the mountain pass between Kata and Nai Harn, near the Reggae Bar restaurant area. It was done by two Thai boys on motorbike. They grabbed my bag while I was driving. I went to the police and asked them if they had CCTV and they denied having it. If there is CCTV footage in some alleyway, what about in that region between Kata and Nai Harn, or were the police just not doing their job?

I am glad that this deceased woman might have justice for her murder, but what about the police doing their job for people who have lesser injuries from attacks on the streets of Phuket? I got absolutely no help at all.

There is CCTV at the viewpoint, but mostly not working.

You'll be glad to know though that about 2 years ago I saw 2 women get robbed by bag snatchers on that road, followed the guys and got their licenseplate, they got scared and threw out the bag with driving license etc. in it, only money and mobile phone missing, returned to help the 2 ladies to the police station and identified the culprits who subsequently got arrested.

That's good news Steven. I and others no doubt appreciate you actions.

[.........] who subsequently got arrested............ Yes but what were the consequences. Did it go to court, did they do time, if so how long, did they pay to have the matter " disappear ", were they offered any counselling, were the victims recompensed ?? I and no doubt others would appreciate any answers to this Q.

These are the real matters. What are the consequences of getting caught. The jails country wide are full to overflowing. If it's a smack on the wrist and told not to do it again because it's bad for tourism, that doesn't seem to be working. Should there be a return to capital punishment ??. One way to solve the jail overcrowding as well as being a real deterrent.

End of rant.

Edited by sportsman69

I'm a little confused. Maybe someone can shed some light on this.

Is the footage from a 'fixed' CCTV camera? Or someone holding a

video camera? I haven't read many replies so maybe this has

already been discussed. If it is someone holding a video camera

(which is what it looks like) then why are they just randomly

filming an empty street. The camera is moving about so it doesn't

look like it's fixed to a wall or pole etc.

about 30 earlier posts explain this