Two Men Arrested For Stabbing Murder Of Phuket Tourist Michelle Smith

webfact

It baffles me how anybody can beg for the death penalty. Many of those who demand the death penalty repeatedly complain that the BIB and Thai justice system are flawed, and rightfully so.

If you get framed and people call for you to be put to death, you will beg again, this time that there is someone to stand up for you.

Moreover, no matter how horrific this case is, it is a typical case of manslaughter, not premeditated murder. Can't see how a competent judge in any country would pronounce the death sentence for those two fatal stabs.

I have to disagree with you pointoffew, as far as was manslaughter, in the footage the "killer" violently stabbed that lady, he didnt accidently stab her or trip over and accidentally stab her

• Like 2

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Death penalty!

way to easy... let them work or like the other member said, Bkk Hilton for the rest of their lives.... Death penalty is third world country style, like China, USA or Myanmar still do....and I understand it at least for Chinas masses......It will change nothing...or has it in the USA changed anything? The only thing it changes is it would empty jails (: ....bad luck for the private prison system and the moneymachines in some countries over seas whistling.gif

One thing for sure the person executed never kills again!

If there is no immediate arrest then we're told that it's a cover-up and that nothing more will be heard about it.

If there is an arrest then of course the police must have it wrong.

If they arrest a farang, then the police are trying to blame someone other than a Thai.

If they arrest a Thai, then it has to be some poor unsuspecting country bumpkin.

Yes, I think you have captured the state of affairs quite accurately... well done, ol' chap!

If I may add one more piece to your excellent comment it's this; This is the murder/manslaughter

of an Australian citizen. In Australia we don't have the death penalty for any crime in any state.

I would like to think that is a civilised stance. Please don't therefore call for the death penalty

here.

• Like 1

Everyone does need to ask : what human benefit comes from watching the video ? And does anyone care about the feeling of the grieving relatives ?

If you don't like it or have a weak stomach for such content then don't watch it. Simple. There is a warning.

I didn't watch it. And you didn't answer either of my questions.

• Like 1

Perhaps under intense pressure all they did was hand in "business associates"

I am sick to death of people like you suggesting that the Thai police will just hand anyone in as sacrificial lambs for slaughter.

They are not as stupid as people like you are, fact!!!

• Like 1

I was just watching the news on Australian T.V which says that the Thai Embassy in Australia has contacted the Australian Foriegn Ministers office to confirm that one (1) male has been arrested in relation to the incident. There are also conflicting stories coming out of the Thai media that two (2) males have been arrested and the location/s of thier alleged arrests. The Australian Government have been informed of a single arrest.

Why, prithee, would someone be videoiing an empty street quite by chance? The robbery seems very inept and badly rehearsed to me.

That's the first thing I thought too. It seems very odd. Is it suppose to be footage from a 'fixed' CCTV camera, or someone holding a video camera? Because the camera is moving around. Why would someone just be randomly filming an empty street?

... to those forum members following this story from outside of Thailand, you see many forum members living in Thailand expressing doubt that the Royal Thai Police arrested the real murder suspects ... that is with good cause ... be clear ... this is about money, not justice.

... Thailand is a thoroughly corrupt nation ... Thai corruption is bone deep ... you will soon read that the Royal Thai Police have a confession ... many Thai smiles ... then, there will be a "purp walk," where the Royal Thai Police will broadcast the suspects reinacting the murder at the murder scene ... lots more Thai smiles ... a quick trial and conviction is likely to follow ... Thai smiles all around.

... meantime, the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) will be flooding international channels with more Amazing Thailand propaganda, featuring lots of smiling Thai actors and smiling tourist actors, all beckoning foreigners to bring back the wallets to smiling Thailand.

... the arrival of the Internet (though censored by the Royal Thai Ministry of Communications) is lifting the thin veneer that has long concealed Thailand's cultural values ... Thailand - Land of Smiles.

• Like 1

I'm a little confused. Maybe someone can shed some light on this.

Is the footage from a 'fixed' CCTV camera? Or someone holding a

video camera? I haven't read many replies so maybe this has

already been discussed. If it is someone holding a video camera

(which is what it looks like) then why are they just randomly

filming an empty street. The camera is moving about so it doesn't

look like it's fixed to a wall or pole etc.

The cctv camera is still... and capturing whatever is going on (or not going on, at times).

Someone is then filming the cctv camera feed from the monitor... that person is not still.

• Like 1

The cctv camera is still... and capturing whatever is going on (or not going on, at times).

Someone is then filming the cctv camera feed from the monitor... that person is not still.

Thank you for clearing that up :)

It baffles me how anybody can beg for the death penalty. Many of those who demand the death penalty repeatedly complain that the BIB and Thai justice system are flawed, and rightfully so.

If you get framed and people call for you to be put to death, you will beg again, this time that there is someone to stand up for you.

Moreover, no matter how horrific this case is, it is a typical case of manslaughter, not premeditated murder. Can't see how a competent judge in any country would pronounce the death sentence for those two fatal stabs.

I have to disagree with you pointoffew, as far as was manslaughter, in the footage the "killer" violently stabbed that lady, he didnt accidently stab her or trip over and accidentally stab her

"...murder requires either the intent to kill – a state of mind called malice, or malice aforethought – or the knowledge that one's actions are likely to result in death; manslaughter, on the other hand, requires a lack of any prior intention to kill or create a deadly situation."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manslaughter

"...murder requires either the intent to kill – a state of mind called malice, or malice aforethought – or the knowledge that one's actions are likely to result in death; manslaughter, on the other hand, requires a lack of any prior intention to kill or create a deadly situation."

Source: http://en.wikipedia....ki/Manslaughter

And in many cases, it is such a fine line between the two, that the true thoughts of the perpetrator are never known.

It is CCTV footage being played back on a monitor. Someone is then taking a video of the playback. Understand?

And to make it clearer that it is a video of a video, here is a snap showing the border bar at the top of the CCTV monitor (blue bar).

post-566-0-22556000-1340617356_thumb.jpg

... to those forum members following this story from outside of Thailand, you see many forum members living in Thailand expressing doubt that the Royal Thai Police arrested the real murder suspects ... that is with good cause ... be clear ... this is about money, not justice.

... Thailand is a thoroughly corrupt nation ... Thai corruption is bone deep ... you will soon read that the Royal Thai Police have a confession ... many Thai smiles ... then, there will be a "purp walk," where the Royal Thai Police will broadcast the suspects reinacting the murder at the murder scene ... lots more Thai smiles ... a quick trial and conviction is likely to follow ... Thai smiles all around.

... meantime, the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) will be flooding international channels with more Amazing Thailand propaganda, featuring lots of smiling Thai actors and smiling tourist actors, all beckoning foreigners to bring back the wallets to smiling Thailand.

... the arrival of the Internet (though censored by the Royal Thai Ministry of Communications) is lifting the thin veneer that has long concealed Thailand's cultural values ... Thailand - Land of Smiles.

... for those forum members not living in Thailand and perhaps unfamiliar with the Thai culture of corruption, the following thread started here today cites a Thai view of institutionalized Thai corruption ... http://www.thaivisa....e-govt-bluster/

... please note, the Thai values are about money, not justice.

Edited by swillowbee

Post deleted. Another reminder of this forum rule.

31) Bangkok Post do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post publications will be deleted from the forum. Please note that this is a decision by the Bangkok Post, not by Thaivisa.com and any complaints or other issues concerning this rule should be directed to them. Quotes from and links to Phuketwan are also not allowed and will also be removed. In special cases forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources.

I believe the isue is far too delicate for the Thai police to come up with just some Patsies. Death penalty would be too easy on them. Far better if they rot in a $#ithole like Bangkok Hilton, getting &$s-raped and beaten on a regular basis.

Hope that the culprits being caught will give some closure to Michelle's family and anyone else who were negatively affected by this unnecessary and hideous murder.

My two cents to the (partially) brainless inquiries:

The shown footage has been copied off a screen with a phone or handheld cam - a 30 year camera professional should be able to figure that one out easily, especially since a part of a blue frame pops up as the camera went up to high for a second at the beginning. There you can see how idiotic rumours and conspiracy theories are born - a "pro in the field" states that due to his 30 year experience he can clearly see that this is not a video taken by a steady surveillance cam and suggests that a "bystander" has watched and recorded the robbery, thus there must be a direct eye witness... And many in the forum jump at this misinformation and take it for granted without double checking themselves... Sometimes I just sit and wonder...

Regarding the misinformation from several news sources. Grow up and understand that most (most means NOT ALL, before I am getting flamed here) newspapers and news agencies nowadays just work "word by mouth" without even thinking about researching and validating anything they print or post! It was the same with that jewelry robbery a few weeks ago. The thieves have been caught all over Thailand, moved into several provinces and had at least 20 different nationalities...

And.. who is this Alain Morrison? whistling.gif

I was just watching the news on Australian T.V which says that the Thai Embassy in Australia has contacted the Australian Foriegn Ministers office to confirm that one (1) male has been arrested in relation to the incident. There are also conflicting stories coming out of the Thai media that two (2) males have been arrested and the location/s of thier alleged arrests. The Australian Government have been informed of a single arrest.

Saw that also, but I guess we have to go with what the Thai media say. Maybe the Embassy is lying to the Australian government.

• Like 1

Source: http://en.wikipedia....ki/Manslaughter

well you got me there pointoffew, i guess the assailant didnt realise her heart was in that side of her body and just tried to scare her off and thought he would give her a little nick with his blade, as far as i know there are varying degrees of murder. A bank robber enters a bank brandishing his pistol demanding money, the security guard runs towards the perp, the perp shoots the security guard dead, would you call that manslaughter? he may not have intended "initially" to kill anyone but the result was death by his actions, the perp therefore did create a deadly situation

Perhaps under intense pressure all they did was hand in "business associates"

I am sick to death of people like you suggesting that the Thai police will just hand anyone in as sacrificial lambs for slaughter.

They are not as stupid as people like you are, fact!!!

The inference I made was that the alleged criminals that were arrested are indeed the ones that committed the murder and just happen to be "business associates" also. Therefore; they are not innocent sacrificial lambs as you elude to.

Quite simple concepts Mr. Einstein

When I think there is indeed another expert at "the art of missing the point" I am inclined to inquire if English is their primary language. In your case I will ask if earth is your primary planet blink.png

Edited by atyclb

"The informant told police that he had been watching coverage of the murder and, seeing how keen the police were to catch the men involved, had come forward to help them.

"He told police that the 300,000 baht reward was not the reason why he had come forward".

I guess not all Thais are interested in money. I pressume this nice guy will donate the money for the policemens ball.