Two Men Arrested For Stabbing Murder Of Phuket Tourist Michelle Smith

webfact

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The video clearly shows how unfortunate and tragic the loss of life was. And how little it takes to kill someone when unleashing sharp objects like knives in a fight. I'm sure these low-life idiots neither wanted to kill the victim or fully understood possible consequences of their actions. Maybe this shocking video could serve as a teaching tool in educating about the consequences of violence and how dangerous the knives are. Not showing it is not going to bring Michelle back. Sadly nothing will. But where and how to show it to get this message across and perhaps save someone else?

Unfortunately those lacking brain cells will NEVER learn, easy money target is all that computes. Nobody will change that. In farang land old age pensioners are being murdered in their homes for a pittance of cash. Low life's are the scourge of decent folks life. I have a place for them 6 feet under ground. Nooooo excuses, 6 feet under. wai.gif

I can sadly personally confirm that what you say is 100% correct... Quote " In farang land old age pensioners are being murdered in their homes for a pittance of cash"

I am a relative of such a crime that happened early January 2012,the victims married 40yrs slaughtered in their home in Birmingham UK.

The police did a very good job in catching him quickly and was being held at prison awaiting his fate. He got a hard time in prison from inmates and was put on suicide watch where he was discovered dead. This for me was the best news i personally could get out of such a sad family tragedy.

However the closer family were left without knowing exactly why he did this,they had no answers,this was also very painful,not to hear why,not to see him break,crumble have fear like my poor relatives had to suffer.

So we are the same family,we somewhere down the line have the same blood,but they were disappointed on hearing the news of his suicide,but myself has to say was very satisfied with his choice. And i presume he must of had plenty of fear from the inmates to make it do this...

I put my approval tick to a post which i guess you call the "Hang Em High Brigade" put there assuming that we do have the right people. If these people were to be given the death penalty,i would however not wish to pull the trigger,pull the handle etc because i was not a witness,i did not see it with my own eyes.

Had this been my wife,girlfriend good friend and i had been walking home after a lovely night and this happened in front of my eyes and the police caught them,then just give me the gun,or which handle sir? Goodbye Scumbag rot in that very hot place thumbsup.gif

If the police caught the actual bad guys , good for them. Normally these high profile cases are solved in three days, so they did run over by one day...... But before the government starts slapping itself on the back, breathes a sigh of relief, and starts predicting the return of massive amounts of tourists, here is something to keep in mind.

A tourist WAS murdered in a nice area of Phuket. Therefor the danger exists for anyone there as a tourist. Catching the bad guys alters NOTHING as regards the danger level of Phuket. It makes the police feel good, and certainly provides closure for the family members. But the other travel agents who are still alive are going back to Australia and tell everyone to stay the hell away from Phuket....

Why all the sensationalism? Random acts of violence do occur in places other than Phuket. I was recently at my home in Santa Cruz California and there was such an act. A homeless man from San Francisco with no ties whatsoever to Santa Cruz, stabbed to death a woman he didn't know in broad daylight for no apparent reason. She was just walking down the street near her home. It was the only murder there this year. It seems like many members of TV just love the chance to slam Phuket any opportunity they get...

Random? The lady was stabbed for her bag in a premeditated attack. Alright he may have not gone in with the intention of stabbing anyone, but he also probably didn't expect the lady to fight back. His reaction was to stab her when she did fight back. The reason = money.

The Swede murderd by a gang of 12 Thais outside his house? Boung with cable ties and stabbed, for his laptop, money and valuables. Money motivated and a robbery.

The Australian stabbed on his bike, by the 2 Thai youths, a couple of months ago for ฿300. He didn't die, but he easily could have. Why? Money.

It's not someone having a psychotic episode, they're violent robberies. In a place that never used to have them. The rate of murder and violent crime is definitely going up. Can't you see that?

Phuket doesn't have one murder a year. You're not even taking into account all the "suicides" that happen either. The murder rate is much much higher than is officially documented.

Sure, all large cities and massive metroplises have high murder rates, that's to be expect. Phuket's tiny in comparison with a small population.

I think it's quite rose-tinted to say there's not a problem and people can't highligh this fact.

There was never a Swede murdered by twelve Thais. It turned out to be a murder by his business partners in Pataya that tracked him to Phuket and killed him. They were also Swedes! If you are going follow me around the forum and post, at least be informed.

Take your paranoia pills dear. I'm not following you. The fact it's newsworthy item and I'm responding to it is purely coincidental. It's a forum. You know where you can respond to other members opinions and have a debate. If you want it to be just you and your opinion, it'd be a lonley place. If you don't want people to question and try to debate your opinion, do not put it in a public place.

I'll gladly not bother to quote you or answer anything you say in future as you seem to not be able to be reasonable. It's a shame as I like challenging other people's idea and opinions. It can be healthy. It can also be the ultimate exercise in futility, sadly.

I am wrong about the Swede. Thank you for informing and I stand corrected. I've read up on it now. I should have informed myself better.

I'm not going to stop posting my opinion about Phuket when I think what I'm saying is true.

You still haven't addressed the notion that it wasn't random. That they're money-motivated violent robberies, that there's more than one of them and that the rate is increasing. Or the amazing rate at which people commit suicide there. And most importantly that tourists are being targeted.

You seem to be seeing an alternate reality and I can't work out why.

Edited by ManInSurat

<p>This video should be removed from TV and youtube. i'm not sure the family would want he whole world to see there mother,sister or aunt be stabbed in a alley way.its disgusting that TV let this be shown and then delete other minor things.disgusting if you ask me.showing this video can not help catch the killers in anyway %2

I agree. The video is inappropriate for this forum.

Totally agree 100%. I replied to an earlier question as to who put it up. A. the editor of a news source we cannot mention. Nuff said.

Everyone does need to ask : what human benefit comes from watching the video ? And does anyone care about the feeling of the grieving relatives ?

Without the video nobody would be able to see that the caught suspects resemble the perpetrators. Whilst I respect the grieving family. The priority should be on finding the killers. If you find out that the leads have some from the publicly broadcasted video what will your take be then?

Why, prithee, would someone be videoiing an empty street quite by chance? The robbery seems very inept and badly rehearsed to me.

That's the first thing I thought too. It seems very odd. Is it suppose to be footage from a 'fixed' CCTV camera, or someone holding a video camera? Because the camera is moving around. Why would someone just be randomly filming an empty street?

For god sake read the thread,this has been explained at least 6 times already.

If the police caught the actual bad guys , good for them. Normally these high profile cases are solved in three days, so they did run over by one day...... But before the government starts slapping itself on the back, breathes a sigh of relief, and starts predicting the return of massive amounts of tourists, here is something to keep in mind.

A tourist WAS murdered in a nice area of Phuket. Therefor the danger exists for anyone there as a tourist. Catching the bad guys alters NOTHING as regards the danger level of Phuket. It makes the police feel good, and certainly provides closure for the family members. But the other travel agents who are still alive are going back to Australia and tell everyone to stay the hell away from Phuket....

Why all the sensationalism? Random acts of violence do occur in places other than Phuket. I was recently at my home in Santa Cruz California and there was such an act. A homeless man from San Francisco with no ties whatsoever to Santa Cruz, stabbed to death a woman he didn't know in broad daylight for no apparent reason. She was just walking down the street near her home. It was the only murder there this year. It seems like many members of TV just love the chance to slam Phuket any opportunity they get...

Random? The lady was stabbed for her bag in a premeditated attack. Alright he may have not gone in with the intention of stabbing anyone, but he also probably didn't expect the lady to fight back. His reaction was to stab her when she did fight back. The reason = money and they targeted 2 ladies alone.

Phuket doesn't have one murder a year. You're not even taking into account all the "suicides" that happen either. The murder rate is much much higher than is officially documented.

Sure, all large cities and massive metroplises have high murder rates, that's to be expect. Phuket's tiny in comparison with a small population.

I think it's quite rose-tinted to say there's not a problem and people can't highligh this fact.

I think he made a valid point. In virtually all of these cases those responsible do not hail from Phuket, they are always from a different province.

If there is an issue, it's an issue across Thais and not limited to Phuket. It's sad but tourist areas attract the less desirable elements of society, why? You hit the nail on the head, money, big fat tourist $$$s and the richest pickings are in Phuket.

I'm sorry but clearly it wasn't a premeditated assault, it was a thoughtless, bungled robbery. The victims fought back and the guy reacted with his knife, probably as much out of fear as anything else. It's a tragedy, but clearly the motive was robbery.

You are being naive if you think these problems are solely in Phuket. Crime is on the increase, nationally, the issue is much larger and has more to do with a general lack of law enforcement, massive disparity between the rich and poor, increasing drug problem and increasing lack of morality in the younger generations coming through... IMO

• Like 2

Do you really think comparing a USA homeless man (reasonable possibility of mental illness) to a botched targeted intentional robbery attempt and knifing / killing of tourist is a valid argument?

In my opinion, it is far fetched over reaching rationalization. Perhaps if the homeless man was also attempting to rob the person you could add some relevance.

• Like 1

Why, prithee, would someone be videoiing an empty street quite by chance? The robbery seems very inept and badly rehearsed to me.

That's the first thing I thought too. It seems very odd. Is it suppose to be footage from a 'fixed' CCTV camera, or someone holding a video camera? Because the camera is moving around. Why would someone just be randomly filming an empty street?

What is so hard to understand. Look at the pictures that showed the reenactment. They show a CCTV camera. Somebody has video'd the recording from that camera.

Random? The lady was stabbed for her bag in a premeditated attack. Alright he may have not gone in with the intention of stabbing anyone, but he also probably didn't expect the lady to fight back. His reaction was to stab her when she did fight back. The reason = money and they targeted 2 ladies alone.

I think he made a valid point. In virtually all of these cases those responsible do not hail from Phuket, they are always from a different province.

If there is an issue, it's an issue across Thais and not limited to Phuket. It's sad but tourist areas attract the less desirable elements of society, why? You hit the nail on the head, money, big fat tourist $$$s and the richest pickings are in Phuket.

I'm sorry but clearly it wasn't a premeditated assault, it was a thoughtless, bungled robbery. The victims fought back and the guy reacted with his knife, probably as much out of fear as anything else. It's a tragedy, but clearly the motive was robbery.

You are being naive if you think these problems are solely in Phuket. Crime is on the increase, nationally, the issue is much larger and has more to do with a general lack of law enforcement, massive disparity between the rich and poor, increasing drug problem and increasing lack of morality in the younger generations coming through... IMO

I didn't say it was solely in Phuket at any point.

Come from other provinces? Well they happened in Phuket. Are people in other places in danger of violence that occurs in Phuket?

I already said I was wrong about the Swede.

I did say it was a premeditated robbery and not murder. If you watch the video, the second the lady resist, he stabs her. Yes it's bungled, that's very clear to see.

I did also say that he may have not had the intention of stabbing anyone or whether he had form. No one can say that. He could have stabbed lots of people before.

I'm not being naive, I'm simply trying to explain that for a comparatively low population it has a high murder rate. A very high suicide rate and violent crime on tourists is increasing.

All tourist areas in the world do not have to be dangerous for tourists. There's many places that aren't. I can think of thousands and in LEDCs too.

Yes, there are incidences of murder all over Thailand, probably lots and lots every day, but I'd imagine they'd be Thai on non-farang. It's the murder rate of Thai on farang that's in question here.

The fact Chalern came out and promised to clean up Phuket the other day would indicate to me that there's a problem there. Would you not say?

The fact another tourist has been murdered in Phuket is going to put it in the spotlight and it appears to be in the spotlight an awful lot recently.

Edited by ManInSurat

The video clearly shows how unfortunate and tragic the loss of life was. And how little it takes to kill someone when unleashing sharp objects like knives in a fight. I'm sure these low-life idiots neither wanted to kill the victim or fully understood possible consequences of their actions. Maybe this shocking video could serve as a teaching tool in educating about the consequences of violence and how dangerous the knives are. Not showing it is not going to bring Michelle back. Sadly nothing will. But where and how to show it to get this message across and perhaps save someone else?

Unfortunately those lacking brain cells will NEVER learn, easy money target is all that computes. Nobody will change that. In farang land old age pensioners are being murdered in their homes for a pittance of cash. Low life's are the scourge of decent folks life. I have a place for them 6 feet under ground. Nooooo excuses, 6 feet under. wai.gif

I can sadly personally confirm that what you say is 100% correct... Quote " In farang land old age pensioners are being murdered in their homes for a pittance of cash"

I am a relative of such a crime that happened early January 2012,the victims married 40yrs slaughtered in their home in Birmingham UK.

The police did a very good job in catching him quickly and was being held at prison awaiting his fate. He got a hard time in prison from inmates and was put on suicide watch where he was discovered dead. This for me was the best news i personally could get out of such a sad family tragedy.

However the closer family were left without knowing exactly why he did this,they had no answers,this was also very painful,not to hear why,not to see him break,crumble have fear like my poor relatives had to suffer.

So we are the same family,we somewhere down the line have the same blood,but they were disappointed on hearing the news of his suicide,but myself has to say was very satisfied with his choice. And i presume he must of had plenty of fear from the inmates to make it do this...

I put my approval tick to a post which i guess you call the "Hang Em High Brigade" put there assuming that we do have the right people. If these people were to be given the death penalty,i would however not wish to pull the trigger,pull the handle etc because i was not a witness,i did not see it with my own eyes.

Had this been my wife,girlfriend good friend and i had been walking home after a lovely night and this happened in front of my eyes and the police caught them,then just give me the gun,or which handle sir? Goodbye Scumbag rot in that very hot place thumbsup.gif

Can anybody say if you're allowed to carry those telescopic night sticks? I'd feel much safer having one of those at the ready. Also, what is the policy on pepper spray in Thailand?

people are attacked, because they look different...

people are harrassed, because they look different...

people are ripped off, because they look different...

Society is rife with the above Thai on Thai also, unrelated to looking different.

They ripoff, cheat, scam, con, assault each other. We non Thais need not feel special.

UPDATE:

Phuket Police reveal identities of the Michelle Smith stab murder suspects

Phuket Gazette – Monday, June 25, 2012 6:54:00 PM

phuket-1-16267qlLYDKIkcZUAwrKTkEDFePtZRk.jpg

Surasak Suwannachote, 26, as pictured on his arrest warrant

for the stabbing murder of Phuket tourist Michelle Smith,

was arrested this morning en route to Samut Sakhon province,

near Bangkok.

PHUKET: -- Phuket Provincial Police have announced the identities of the two men arrested today for the stabbing murder of Australian travel agent Michelle Smith which took place near Kata Beach last Wednesday night.

Officers at Phuket Provincial Police headquarters in Phuket Town named Surasak Suwannachote, 26, originally from Nakhon Sri Thammarat, as the man who allegedly stabbed Mrs Smith, puncturing her heart and lung.

Surasak was arrested this morning in Chumphon province while heading to Samut Sakhon province, near Bangkok, to see his relatives, one officer told the Phuket Gazette.

Police this morning also arrested Surin Tadthong, 37, in his hometown, also in Samut Sakhon.

Surin allegedly drove the motorbike used in carrying out the botched bag-snatch attack that ended in Mrs Smith's fatal stabbing.

“The two men confessed that after stabbing Mrs Smith, they left their motorbike at the ‘Phuket Bypass Garn Yang’ [car tyre dealership] on the morning of [Thursday] June 21,” said one officer, who declined to give further details.

Both Surasak and Surin are being transported to Phuket to face charges, but have yet to arrive on the island, the Gazette was told.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-06-25

Looked at the video and having worked as a cameraman about 30 years I noticed that CCTV video's are steady and this looks like a phone or other camera which means someone saw the actual killing and there may be more than the video we see. I am not sure but can this be the reason we not see all footage because what we not see may have let to the arrest and to stories that the police knew names already.

Watch even more carefully and you'll notice that it is hand-held camera footage of a screen (a blue "menu" bar appears at the top of the screen from 0:23). Obviously somebody doesn't know how to get the footage from the CCTV system onto the internet directly.

This is a celluar phone,recording the CCTV ,for me it means a Police or press had record the same and make use to chase or else. But it is 100% a mobile as the result in pixel is to small and it match an 3.2 lens.

Whether or not the 'justice system' has the right culprits, they will probably force a re-enactment. If innocents are forced to do a re-enactment (supposing they haven't seen the video), they might botch it up. Either way, there will probably be a death sentence in the offing, with the provision of changing it to 'life sentence' if the suspect(s) plead guilty and show some remorse. The result is, in Thailand, sometimes innocents plead 'guilty' - because they hope to get their sentences commuted from 'death' to 'life in prison.'

It baffles me how anybody can beg for the death penalty. Many of those who demand the death penalty repeatedly complain that the BIB and Thai justice system are flawed, and rightfully so. If you get framed and people call for you to be put to death, you will beg again, this time that there is someone to stand up for you. Moreover, no matter how horrific this case is, it is a typical case of manslaughter, not premeditated murder. Can't see how a competent judge in any country would pronounce the death sentence for those two fatal stabs.

There are several cases we don't hear about anymore. Example: the girl who had her arm hacked off by off-duty cops. Also: the Irish young man killed, and farang woman who were both shot by a cop in Pai. Plus, what happened to the cop who shot and killed one (or both?) of a farang couple in Kanchanburi(?) in a jealous rage? Last we heard, he was locked up, but then let out the back door by his cop buddies, when no one was watching.

If anyone has updates on any of those mentioned in the paragraph above, please let us know, thanks.

Whether or not the 'justice system' has the right culprits, they will probably force a re-enactment. If innocents are forced to do a re-enactment (supposing they haven't seen the video), they might botch it up. Either way, there will probably be a death sentence in the offing, with the provision of changing it to 'life sentence' if the suspect(s) plead guilty and show some remorse. The result is, in Thailand, sometimes innocents plead 'guilty' - because they hope to get their sentences commuted from 'death' to 'life in prison.'

It baffles me how anybody can beg for the death penalty. Many of those who demand the death penalty repeatedly complain that the BIB and Thai justice system are flawed, and rightfully so. If you get framed and people call for you to be put to death, you will beg again, this time that there is someone to stand up for you. Moreover, no matter how horrific this case is, it is a typical case of manslaughter, not premeditated murder. Can't see how a competent judge in any country would pronounce the death sentence for those two fatal stabs.

There are several cases we don't hear about anymore. Example: the girl who had her arm hacked off by off-duty cops. Also: the Irish young man killed, and farang woman who were both shot by a cop in Pai. Plus, what happened to the cop who shot and killed one (or both?) of a farang couple in Kanchanburi(?) in a jealous rage? Last we heard, he was locked up, but then let out the back door by his cop buddies, when no one was watching.

If anyone has updates on any of those mentioned in the paragraph above, please let us know, thanks.

Doing some reasearch on the Katherine Horton murder on Samui in 2007 and I found out they were given the death sentence and this was commuted to life in prison, not as a guilty plea bargain, but after they'd been put on death row.

"Two fishermen, Wichai Somkhaoyai, 24, and Bualoi Posit, 23, were condemned to death, but their sentences were commuted to life in jail after appeal."

Here's the BBC article.

It's hard to find a case of them actually carrying out an execution for this type of crime anywhere. It seems that reduced sentencing on appeal and when entering the plea is commonplace.

Is that what'll happen here? Who knows.

Perhaps knowing you're not going to die if you do commit these heinous crimes has a factor in the rate of increase?

If this had happened in say, Texas, a Texan (or anyone) murdering a Thai, would they be given the death sentence? You know if they were it'd be carried out. I'm not trying to compare the 2 countries, but reinforce the point that for it to act as a deterrent, you actually need to carry it out.

We all know that the Thai prison life can be very comfortable if you have money or someone has a vested interest in you.

Edited by ManInSurat

Do you really think comparing a USA homeless man (reasonable possibility of mental illness) to a botched targeted intentional robbery attempt and knifing / killing of tourist is a valid argument?

In my opinion, it is far fetched over reaching rationalization. Perhaps if the homeless man was also attempting to rob the person you could add some relevance.

No what I'm saying is they were both random victims of crime. They were in the wrong place at the wrong time...

For god sake read the thread,this has been explained at least 6 times already.

I agree 7 pages on this topic and probably 6 of those pages are explaining the video.

Horrible, I hope they got the right fellas and if so, I hope they're convicted to a life of torment in a terrible Thai prison.....in their cases, throw human rights right out the window!

You can better tell that in your own country.There they get maybe 8 years for that.

<p>This video should be removed from TV and youtube. i'm not sure the family would want he whole world to see there mother,sister or aunt be stabbed in a alley way.its disgusting that TV let this be shown and then delete other minor things.disgusting if you ask me.showing this video can not help catch the killers in anyway %2

I agree. The video is inappropriate for this forum.

Totally agree 100%. I replied to an earlier question as to who put it up. A. the editor of a news source we cannot mention. Nuff said.

Everyone does need to ask : what human benefit comes from watching the video ? And does anyone care about the feeling of the grieving relatives ?

To be honest, as a falang woman considering visiting Phuket in November, I did watch it. Not to be disrespectful of the women or their families, but to see what I need to be watching out for. I couldn't quite tell how she was wearing her purse strap from that clip. Was it slung over one shoulder, or did she have it slung across her chest? Does that make a difference for these purse snatchers?

• Like 2

I couldn't quite tell how she was wearing her purse strap from that clip. Was it slung over one shoulder, or did she have it slung across her chest? Does that make a difference for these purse snatchers?

To women who are considering visiting Phuket. Think twice. If you're compelled to go there, consider walking with one or more men. I'd suggest carrying mace (spray), but I don't think it's sold in Thailand. You may also carry a knife, as it's not illegal, but then, of course you're adding a whole dimension to what might ensue. Even so, it would be cool to read a few stories of thugs being stabbed while in the act.

There's also a loud high-pitched security device, the size of a mobile phone, called 'ELERT' which used to be available, but is no longer made. It was an excellent device for spooking would-be thieves. There's one fellow in Utah who has some for sale, about $40 each. Why they're not fabricated and sold in the marketplace anymore, I don't know. There's a lesser device which just makes a high pitched sound (it's not movement sensitive like the ELERT), which is probably available in some places.

• Like 1

To be honest, as a falang woman considering visiting Phuket in November, I did watch it. Not to be disrespectful of the women or their families, but to see what I need to be watching out for. I couldn't quite tell how she was wearing her purse strap from that clip. Was it slung over one shoulder, or did she have it slung across her chest? Does that make a difference for these purse snatchers?

I don't think you're being disrespectful. It was aired on Australian TV, someone mentioned in this thread (perhaps in an edited form, I don't know.) Also another person mentioned that if leads came from the CCTV and from a member of the public, the fact it was publicly aired could have led to the arrests.

If you're genuinely worried and you did say considering, perhaps look to Krabi - Ao Nang and Koh Lanta specifically - instead. It's my second home away from Surat Thani and it's so pretty and calm. They have the full range of budget, mid and high-end resorts and there's an never ending array of things to do there. A lot of the day tours out of Phuket are also visitied by tourists in the Krabi area too. Phi Phi being a great example of that.

Krabi does have its very isolated criminal incidents, but attacks of this nature are incredibly rare.

Plus you can get there easily from Phuket airport. It's the same coast and sea. It's culturally identical and plus you'd get to see the old indigenous Chao Lae (or Sea Gypsy) in the Krabi and Lanta areas, not to mention the lovely Muslim community there.

Maybe look to the areas of Phuket away from Patong and Phuket City, somewhere like Kata or Karon if you have your heart set on Phuket.

Just a suggestion.

KeyserSoze1's advice is spot on though, if you do decide to go.

Edited by ManInSurat

But WHO is taking footage (at night) with a had-held camera of an empty alley and by pure coincidence films a murder in front of his eyes... Strange. I cannot believe this. What was this guy's intention when he started filming this empty alley?

Are you just not following anything here? It's a hand held video of the CCTV video being shown on a monitor. Jeeze.. It's been said at least a dozen times already.

...unbelievable, isn't it? Why don't you read the previous posts first before typing something?

I don't think you're being disrespectful. It was aired on Austrailian TV, someone mentioned in this thread (perhaps in an edited form, I don't know.) Also another person mentioned that if leads came from the CCTV and from a member of the public, the fact it was publicly aired could have led to the arrests.

If you're genuinely worried and you did say considering, perhaps look to Krabi - Ao Nang and Koh Lanta specifically - instead. It's my second home away from Surat Thani and it's so pretty and calm. They have the full range of budget, mid and high-end resorts and there's an never ending array of things to do there. A lot of the day tours out of Phuket are also visitied by tourists in the Krabi area too. Phi Phi being a great example of that.

Krabi does have its very isolated criminal incidents, but attacks of this nature are incredibly rare.

Plus you can get there easily from Phuket airport. It's the same coast and sea. It's culturally identical and plus you'd get to see the old indegenous Chao Lae (or Sea Gypsy) in the Krabi and Lanta areas, not to mention the lovely Muslim community there.

Maybe look to the areas of Phuket away from Patong and Phuket City, somewhere like Kata or Karon if you have your heart set on Phuket.

Just a suggestion.

KaiserSoze's advice is spot on though, if you do decide to go.

Please don't get me started on Krabi... A good friend of mine was badly injured and could have been killed by a motorbike bag snatch attempt in Ao Nang about a year ago. Since the bag strap did not rupture, these f$#%ers first pulled her off the bike and then dragged her along for several meters. I could also tell you what religious orientation the majority of locals there have and what kind of mindset they run, but in times where everything and anything one says could be flamed for not being politically correct, I leave it to your imagination / research abilities...

It boils down to the fact that as a foreigner in Krabi, to the locals you basically are a kind of hybrid; half pig, half ATM machine. If you want with maximum effort achieve as little as possible, then go to Krabi or Lanta (same, same, but different...).

I don't think you're being disrespectful. It was aired on Austrailian TV, someone mentioned in this thread (perhaps in an edited form, I don't know.) Also another person mentioned that if leads came from the CCTV and from a member of the public, the fact it was publicly aired could have led to the arrests.

Plus you can get there easily from Phuket airport. It's the same coast and sea. It's culturally identical and plus you'd get to see the old indegenous Chao Lae (or Sea Gypsy) in the Krabi and Lanta areas, not to mention the lovely Muslim community there.

Just a suggestion.

KaiserSoze's advice is spot on though, if you do decide to go.

Please don't get me started on Krabi... A good friend of mine was badly injured and could have been killed by a motorbike bag snatch attempt in Ao Nang about a year ago. Since the bag strap did not rupture, these f$#%ers first pulled her off the bike and then dragged her along for several meters. I could also tell you what religious orientation the majority of locals there have and what kind of mindset they run, but in times where everything and anything one says could be flamed for not being politically correct, I leave it to your imagination / research abilities...

It boils down to the fact that as a foreigner in Krabi, to the locals you basically are a kind of hybrid; half pig, half ATM machine. If you want with maximum effort achieve as little as possible, then go to Krabi or Lanta (same, same, but different...).

Your intimation that people of a specific religion are more likely to commit a crime is inflammatory, even if you do act chicken and don't say what you actually mean.

FYI the agricultural industry is predominantly the main sector that the religious minority work in there. Prawn farming and squid/prawn fishing are the primary empolyers of Muslims if that's what you're implying.

I am married to a Muslim Thai. I speak fluent Thai, some Dai and some Pali/Malay. I've visited her 13 strong siblings and other family members in all corners of Thailand. I know their culture extremely well. I find if you conduct yourself with dignity and don't come across as rude and ingorant to their cultural sensitivites, you won't be treated badly.

As for your comment about the ATM machine. You could say that about any place in South-East Asia many places in Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Central Asia, most of South and Central America, most of Africa and most of the Middle East.

I've been visiting Ao Nang for over 10 years, I have a house there and it's nowhere near as dangerous as you're painting it. It does have isolated incidents of crime. It has nowhere near the rate of violent crime on tourists as Phuket. It is very quiet.

I'm sorry your friend had a bad experience but there's no way you can say it's a violent place where that kind of thing happens every day. That's pure make believe and untrue.

Edited by ManInSurat
  • Like 2