Two Men Arrested For Stabbing Murder Of Phuket Tourist Michelle Smith

webfact

No what I'm saying is they were both random victims of crime. They were in the wrong place at the wrong time...

the victim is wrong - as usual...

Brilliant! Can't you read? Where did I say it was the victims fault? They were random victims of a violent crime. No where did I say they did anything to deserve such an attack. Sh-t happens wherever you may be...

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No what I'm saying is they were both random victims of crime. They were in the wrong place at the wrong time...

the victim is wrong - as usual...

Brilliant! Can't you read? Where did I say it was the victims fault? They were random victims of a violent crime. No where did I say they did anything to deserve such an attack. Sh-t happens wherever you may be...

i mean the saying... it was the killer in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Now we have to wait and see what is going to be done about it in the future to prevent this from ever happening again.

A little piece of advice, more uniforms on motor bike and on foot patrolling tourist areas day and night would be a good move.

This is what I noticed after having worked on Phuket for the last two weeks, there is nearly no police to be seen anywhere in the tourist areas as compared to Hua Hin, for example.

To be honest, as a falang woman considering visiting Phuket in November, I did watch it. Not to be disrespectful of the women or their families, but to see what I need to be watching out for. I couldn't quite tell how she was wearing her purse strap from that clip. Was it slung over one shoulder, or did she have it slung across her chest? Does that make a difference for these purse snatchers?

<snip>

Krabi does have its very isolated criminal incidents, but attacks of this nature are incredibly rare.

<snip>

Like in March 2012 when three German women were attacked and one had her thumb severed in a purse snatch? I can't post a link to the article here on TV due to forum rule 31.

To be honest, as a falang woman considering visiting Phuket in November, I did watch it. Not to be disrespectful of the women or their families, but to see what I need to be watching out for. I couldn't quite tell how she was wearing her purse strap from that clip. Was it slung over one shoulder, or did she have it slung across her chest? Does that make a difference for these purse snatchers?

<snip>

Krabi does have its very isolated criminal incidents, but attacks of this nature are incredibly rare.

<snip>

Like in March 2012 when three German women were attacked and one had her thumb severed in a purse snatch? I can't post a link to the article here on TV due to forum rule 31.

Post some evidence that Krabi is statistically more dangerous than Phuket. That'll clear up any confusion. If you want to try and assert the statement that Krabi's more dangerous than Phuket, argue with yourself. It's a pointless discussion as it's just not true.

I'm not denying there are crimes there. Ocsasionally against tourists, we're in Thailand not Antartica. I am insisting that they occur with much less frequency than in Phuket. I cannot recall for over 5 years as a TV user the headline stories that attract all the attention, being about violent crime and certainly not frequent murder (even if it is chalked up as a "suicide") coming from Krabi and you know this yourself to be true. I can cite all the evidence from TV articles against the ones you can find and we'll tot them all up shall we? I'd love to, but I don't have the time. Krabi is synonymous with "Sleepyville, Thailand" according to nearly everyone I've ever talked to who's visited and that's a lot of people.

EDIT : Ok, actually, know what? I'm bored of the "my favourite city is better than your favourite city in Thailand" back and forth game this is becoming. Krabi's quiet. It's not a lie. I've been to both places. I know the reality. I'll leave forum readers and the public to make up their own minds.

Let's get back on topic and relate to the OP in someway. I'll admit I've helped bring it off topic. I should know better.

Edited by ManInSurat
  • Like 1

Why, prithee, would someone be videoiing an empty street quite by chance? The robbery seems very inept and badly rehearsed to me.

Exactly my thoughts ... who>?? Why??? and at this time would be in this empty street taking a video and not even trying to help during or after ...?? What rubbish !!

Why, prithee, would someone be videoiing an empty street quite by chance? The robbery seems very inept and badly rehearsed to me.

Exactly my thoughts ... who>?? Why??? and at this time would be in this empty street taking a video and not even trying to help during or after ...?? What rubbish !!

Does anyone actually read previous posts in this topic. It has been pointed out countless times that it IS a CCTV camera view but either a phone camera or similar is videotaping the CCTV monitor display itself. This is not a direct copy off the video tape itself. saai.gif

<snip>

<snip>

<snip>

EDIT : Ok, actually, know what? I'm bored of the "my favourite city is better than your favourite city in Thailand" back and forth game this is becoming. Krabi's quiet. It's not a lie. I've been to both places. I know the reality. I'll leave forum readers and the public to make up their own minds.

Let's get back on topic and relate to the OP in someway. I'll admit I've helped bring it off topic. I should know better.

Phuket is a provence, not a city, of well over 500,000 people according to the last census. At the peak of tourist season some estimates put the population as high as one million. I've been to both places as well. There are parts of Phuket that are very quiet and then there are some main tourist areas. Krabi is also a provence, as well there is a city named Krabi. So of course there will be a higher crime rate in the smallest, area wise provence, with a large population that comes from all other parts of Thailand and the world. So quite comparing apples to oranges and constantly ragging about how bad crime is here because of a few articles that have been in the news lately. Yes, there are a lot of problems with public transit and other issues that haven't been dealt with for many years, which is another long topic onto itself.

It sounds as though the police have caught the suspects. The one accused of murder is from Nakhon Sri Thammarat, by the way. It seems as though I have read many times that perpetuators of crimes on Phuket seem to come here from that area.

this means, that when you want to stab someone to death, then you better first pull a bit on the handbag - as it is then manslaughter?

It raises such a possibility for sure, and as i said in Post 106 : 'And in many cases, it is such a fine line between the two, that the true thoughts of the perpetrator are never known.'

( Between the two referring to Murder & Manslaughter )

Phuket is a provence, not a city, of well over 500,000 people according to the last census. At the peak of tourist season some estimates put the population as high as one million. I've been to both places as well. There are parts of Phuket that are very quiet and then there are some main tourist areas. Krabi is also a provence, as well there is a city named Krabi. So of course there will be a higher crime rate in the smallest, area wise provence, with a large population that comes from all other parts of Thailand and the world. So quite comparing apples to oranges and constantly ragging about how bad crime is here because of a few articles that have been in the news lately. Yes, there are a lot of problems with public transit and other issues that haven't been dealt with for many years, which is another long topic onto itself.

It sounds as though the police have caught the suspects. The one accused of murder is from Nakhon Sri Thammarat, by the way. It seems as though I have read many times that perpetuators of crimes on Phuket seem to come here from that area.

Phuket Province Population: 348,504

Krabi Province Population: 432,704

You could say the population density is higher, sure. So what? It's very high in Singapore and Liechtenstein.

But please do quote me your source. I'd like to see your figures there.

Not doubting that Phuket has the more tourist visitors. To be frank it can keep them. I'm happy with this arrangement.

We're not talking about tourist on toursit violent crime here, we're talking about Thai on farang crime. That's what this story is about. (If we did include farang on farang crime, well then the it makes Phuket much more dangerous.)

They are not apples and oranges, they're neighboring provinces, and cities (if you mean Krabi Town and Phuket City) that are about 180kms from each other by road and much less as the crow flies, that have the same types of people and both attract a vast amount of tourists every year. In terms of climate, culture, language, topography and every other aspect, they're very similar. They're mandarins and satsumas, if you're going to use some artistic lisence.

I don't care where the people come from. They could come from the very northern tip of Thailand and it's not going to alter the fact they're perpetrating the crimes on Phuket Island and obviously it's seen as the place to come if you're into that kind of thing, for the surrounding provinces.

That still statisitcally makes you much more likely to be the victim of a violent crime there.

The busiest places aren't the quiet places and vice versa? Well, yeah obviously. I'd have thought that the majority of crime would be centralized around Patong and Phuket City. It's still on Phuket. From my experience of working in tourism for 15 years, you average tourist does not inform themself of the places "off the beaten track" they'll go to Phuket and gravitate towards Patong and the City and think that's Phuket. We know it's a whole island with lots of different types of paces of life. Average Joe? No, he doesn't. Rest of the watching world and media? They don't either.

You can try be evasive by using geography if you want and while we're on the subject, can we dispense with the geography lessons please? I've got Google Maps and Wikipedia and know the local names and terminology for the towns, provinces and cities.

It's not a "a few articles that have been in the news lately" you can't make a throwaway comment like that.

There's almost no incidences I can ever think of extremely high-profile, Thailand-tarnishing news stories, that have a negative impact on the whole country's tourism that come out of Krabi. There's a neverending stream from Phuket. It's not just recently or in the low season, it's all the time.

This story is being carried by major news networks around the world, it's making television and it's not suprising that is is. This is not the first time this has happened.

Why is there a need for a "Crackdown on Mafia Targeting Tourists" - a directive from Chalerm to try and stop the adverse effect this is having on Phuket's and susequently the rest of the country's tourism? There's a thread about it that's still on the front page.

I've never ever recalled diplomats of foreign nations threatening punitive action to Krabi, by warning their residents not to come to Krabi as the Dutch diplomat Joan Boer did recently in a sitdown with Phuket Governor Tri Augkaradacha. I can remember other diplomatic figures doing the same in recent months. FOs will end up putting Phuket on watchlists. It deserves it.

There's a serious problem there. You seem to be the only person I've met here insisting that isn't the case. Even the Thai government are admitting it. They can do something about it if they choose to, but that means tackling some really tough and political problems that are deeply ingrained there. Thailand never does the "fire everyone, wash it all out and start again". People are moved around and shuffled.

It's cool. You love Phuket a lot. I get that. You can keep it. I want to stay alive when I go on my holidays and definitely where I call home and raise my children.

Edited by ManInSurat

You could say the population density is higher, sure. So what? It's very high in Singapore and Liechtenstein.

Singapore population density: 7,148/km2 (2nd highest among sovereign nations in the world)

Liechtenstein: 225/km2 (37th highest among sovereign nations; 3 below the UK at 255/km2)

Sober up first,before you comment.It was all explained before many times.

Looked at the video and having worked as a cameraman about 30 years I noticed that CCTV video's are steady and this looks like a phone or other camera which means someone saw the actual killing and there may be more than the video we see. I am not sure but can this be the reason we not see all footage because what we not see may have let to the arrest and to stories that the police knew names already.

Perhaps the attackers had a 3rd party, who was making a film of their crimes, for 'fun', now maybe he sold them out for the B300,000?

you cannot compare the "usual" murder in your hometown with these cases here...

here are tourists selectively attacked...

you come here as a tourist and you know, you are in the crosshairs already...

Tourists represent money and as such are potential targets the world over, paticularly so where there are huge disparities between rich & poor, and a drug problem.

I don't think you're being disrespectful. It was aired on Australian TV, someone mentioned in this thread (perhaps in an edited form, I don't know.) Also another person mentioned that if leads came from the CCTV and from a member of the public, the fact it was publicly aired could have led to the arrests.

If you're genuinely worried and you did say considering, perhaps look to Krabi - Ao Nang and Koh Lanta specifically - instead. It's my second home away from Surat Thani and it's so pretty and calm. They have the full range of budget, mid and high-end resorts and there's an never ending array of things to do there. A lot of the day tours out of Phuket are also visitied by tourists in the Krabi area too. Phi Phi being a great example of that.

Plus you can get there easily from Phuket airport. It's the same coast and sea. It's culturally identical and plus you'd get to see the old indigenous Chao Lae (or Sea Gypsy) in the Krabi and Lanta areas, not to mention the lovely Muslim community there.

Maybe look to the areas of Phuket away from Patong and Phuket City, somewhere like Kata or Karon if you have your heart set on Phuket.

Just a suggestion.

KeyserSoze1's advice is spot on though, if you do decide to go.

Sorry but what BS you are spouting, you really are using this thread in bad taste. You seem intent on turning this and other threads into a promote Krabi venture - just bought a guest house have we?!

You obviously haven't got a clue about Phuket and it seems are not too familiar with Krabi either... The range of areas Phuket has to offer and you suggest she visit the scene of this attack?! Ever heard of Surin, Bantao, Naithon or Naiyang? How many crimes have been committed in these areas recently? Have you even seen the east coast of the island or some of the nearby islands like Naka Yai/ Noi.... Sixth senses resort etc?

Ao Nang is the most spoilt area in Krabi and would be the last place I'd recommend in the area. Krabi is generally a nice place but all the beaches that are worth a visit are actually offshore, the majority of Krabi coastline is muddy sand. You will be sorely disappointed if you book a beach holiday expecting the level of beauty that west coast Phuket offers...

If you focus on Ao Nang you are missing what Krabi really has to offer, putting yourself directly in a mini Patong. The changes this town has seen over the past few years with the appearance of touts, scammers, tailor shops and BGs is shocking. I actually much prefer Krabi town but only for a couple of nights or you will start to get very bored and stretched for things to do.

But hey, Ao Nang caters for your Western trash tourist with plentiful Burger Kings, McDonalds and KFCs if that's really what attracts you to Thailand...

You're the one that has hijacked this thread to do just that and it's in terrible taste. If you even tried to present an unbiased view no one would object but you clearly have an agenda, very little knowledge of Phuket and it seems very little knowledge of the tourist town you have just bought a house in.

Sixth Senses resort - they see dead people?

Sorry, Six Senses, and yes I have it on good authority that due to the terrific numbers of people topping themselves and being topped in Phuket daily, Pi are now walking Naka Yai at night, terrifying locals, bemoaning the ills of the island and ushering people east towards Krabi... thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

What on earth is this thread about, the quality of cctv footage or which place in Thailand has the best beaches? The title of the thread is very misleading and has nothing to do with the subjects being discussed.

Manin Surat I totally agree with you.

Catweazle please start to me, Im living 10 years in Ao Nang near Krab

and I only hear those stories about friends of friends, but never the friend of the friend shows up to confirm.

Perhaps having been dragged down the street they were recovering in hospital?

I have lived in Phuket for many years, never been victim of any crime, neither have any of my friends. How relevant is that when considering these events?

Crime clearly does happen here but perhaps it's not as widespread as certain people that take such events as an opportunity to wildly generalise about an area and tout others would have people believe...

• Like 1

If the 2 perps are actually the ones who committed the attempted snatch/murder then I reckon public executions should be instituted...HANG EM HIGH! Nimit Circle at noon on a Sunday would be a great venue...one could sell hotdogs, bevvies, roast beast on a stick...etc. When I worked in the Middle East ages ago (1979-1982) the main souk (market) in Jeddah was very busy on Friday

mornings...heads rolled and hands came off arms.

Edited by sunshine51

I couldn't quite tell how she was wearing her purse strap from that clip. Was it slung over one shoulder, or did she have it slung across her chest? Does that make a difference for these purse snatchers?

To women who are considering visiting Phuket. Think twice. If you're compelled to go there, consider walking with one or more men. I'd suggest carrying mace (spray), but I don't think it's sold in Thailand. You may also carry a knife, as it's not illegal, but then, of course you're adding a whole dimension to what might ensue. Even so, it would be cool to read a few stories of thugs being stabbed while in the act.

There's also a loud high-pitched security device, the size of a mobile phone, called 'ELERT' which used to be available, but is no longer made. It was an excellent device for spooking would-be thieves. There's one fellow in Utah who has some for sale, about $40 each. Why they're not fabricated and sold in the marketplace anymore, I don't know. There's a lesser device which just makes a high pitched sound (it's not movement sensitive like the ELERT), which is probably available in some places.

Why stop there? Women, stay home it's dangerous out there, you run the risk of being mugged everywhere from London to Paris to New York to Phuket...

Please ignore this advice, don't arm yourselves, follow Keyser Soze's common sense advice and if someone tries to take your bag, smile and let them have it. If you carry/ pull a knife the chances are you will end up getting stabbed with your own blade. That is the very worst thing that anyone could do.

These types of incident happen the world over, they are rare and isolated, don't let it cloud your judgement and don't live in fear over what could happen. Driving in Thailand poses a far higher risk of personal injury than that of any violent crime, as it does in most countries.

• Like 2

I was pulled off my motorbike two years ago while I was driving on the mountain pass between Kata and Nai Harn, near the Reggae Bar restaurant area. It was done by two Thai boys on motorbike. They grabbed my bag while I was driving. I went to the police and asked them if they had CCTV and they denied having it. If there is CCTV footage in some alleyway, what about in that region between Kata and Nai Harn, or were the police just not doing their job?

I am glad that this deceased woman might have justice for her murder, but what about the police doing their job for people who have lesser injuries from attacks on the streets of Phuket? I got absolutely no help at all.

There is CCTV at the viewpoint, but mostly not working.

You'll be glad to know though that about 2 years ago I saw 2 women get robbed by bag snatchers on that road, followed the guys and got their licenseplate, they got scared and threw out the bag with driving license etc. in it, only money and mobile phone missing, returned to help the 2 ladies to the police station and identified the culprits who subsequently got arrested.

• Like 1

Everyone does need to ask : what human benefit comes from watching the video ? And does anyone care about the feeling of the grieving relatives ?

If you don't like it or have a weak stomach for such content then don't watch it. Simple. There is a warning.

I didn't watch it. And you didn't answer either of my questions.

I'm surprised that anyone would object to the display of this video. It's an illustration and warning of the type of 'snatch and run' theft that often takes place in many countries. Women are particularly at risk from this type of theft because they usually carry a handbag containing all their valuables.

Not everyone has seen what exactly happens with this type of theft, so this video can provide some useful lessons, such as:

(1) Be very wary and vigilant if one is walking in a deserted street at night, carrying a handbag, and one sees a motorbike heading towards one.

(2) If one fails to anticipate what could happen, and the assailant succeeds in grabbing hold of the bag, don't struggle.

(3) Better still, when in foreign and undeveloped countries where this type of robbery probably occurs more frequently than it does in Australia, try to avoid using a handbag over one's shoulder. Use pockets and/or a money-belt under one's clothes.

Compared with the gore and violence one sees in the average movie, this video is not gory. In fact, after a brief struggle, the two ladies walk away from the scene looking as though they are physically okay. My first reaction was that this video is a reconstruction of the event. The resolution is too low for it to be gory.

Now it's true that the feelings of the grieving relatives of Mrs Smith might be affected for the worse, on viewing this video, but not necessarily.

The best that can now happen is for the real culprits to be caught and punished, and for the precise circumstances of the tragic event to be broadcast, in the hope that people will learn from it. Actually seeing how the real event occurred can be more meaningful than merely reading about it.

• Like 1