Does Anyone Else Find The Service Crap In Thailand Or Is It Just Me.

steven100

We were in a hotel in Dhaka, and my wife was getting dressed. Suddenly the door opened and a staff member walked right in. My wife dove under the covers of the bed, I was already in bed. The man showed no sign that he had done anything wrong, rather he said to me. "I am going off shift now so you need to give me my tip."

That's bad service.

• Like 1

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were in a hotel in Dhaka, and my wife was getting dressed. Suddenly the door opened and a staff member walked right in. My wife dove under the covers of the bed, I was already in bed. The man showed no sign that he had done anything wrong, rather he said to me. "I am going off shift now so you need to give me my tip."

That's bad service.

But his English was better than in Thailand laugh.png

For me it is different places, different attitudes.

The hours these people can work for not a lot of money when they see others spending far more than they can earn in a week must be hard to bear.

In recent months I've seen fewer tips being left and many of those that have been left are quite small. Whether this is down to bad service or not I'd not like to say. Yet if I get a smile and good ( not perfect ) service I leave a tip. I tend to use those places more often and have no real complaints.

That's bad service.

Maybe the guy was not a staff member and your wife was having an affair but the guy didn`t expect you to be there?

Last time my wife and I stayed in a hotel, I walked in the room and found my wife lying naked on the floor. Very strange I thought, so I checked all the warddrobes to see if she had any hidden lovers in there, but found nothing.

All very strange.

Edited by Beetlejuice

That's bad service.

Maybe the guy was not a staff member and your wife was having an affair but the guy didn`t expect you to be there?

Last time my wife and I stayed in a hotel, I walked in the room and found my wife lying naked on the floor. Very strange I thought, so I checked all the warddrobes to see if she had any hidden lovers in there, but found nothing.

All very strange.

Boy, am I glad you'd kept some brandy in that minibar. :rolleyes:

Not much rattles my cage in this department apart from the "mai mee' attitude....Do you have this in...?..colour...?..size..?..any at all..? etc and without lifting a finger....."mai mee"

And what the F do you want them to do or say, they haven't got what you want so F off and let her get back to her nails!

And the owner of the shop doesn't care either BTW, doncha know you should be grateful to have the privilege of being allowed to step into the place.

Really, this happens all over the world, just take your custom elsewhere and stop whingeing. . .

1. Expecting a 150b a day Thai worker to understand your directions in English of the level of firmness to which you want your egg cooked is unrealistic unless you are fluent in Thai and even then it will be hit and miss.

2. Tourist areas don't care very much about service because tourists pass through. It is not like they rely on repeat business.

3. Increased food and labor costs means lower quality from many businesses, thus your observation about your cold drink. You will get the best service and quality in the quietest places imho. Food stalls in very high rent areas just want to do a ton of business and usually have crappy service and product, though not always.

Not much rattles my cage in this department apart from the "mai mee' attitude....Do you have this in...?..colour...?..size..?..any at all..? etc and without lifting a finger....."mai mee"

And what the F do you want them to do or say, they haven't got what you want so F off and let her get back to her nails!

And the owner of the shop doesn't care either BTW, doncha know you should be grateful to have the privilege of being allowed to step into the place.

Really, this happens all over the world, just take your custom elsewhere and stop whingeing. . .

Never thought of it like that, must lower my expectations, 6 yrs and I still know <deleted> all, what am I like

Edited by Cobalt60

For me it is different places, different attitudes.

The hours these people can work for not a lot of money when they see others spending far more than they can earn in a week must be hard to bear.

In recent months I've seen fewer tips being left and many of those that have been left are quite small. Whether this is down to bad service or not I'd not like to say. Yet if I get a smile and good ( not perfect ) service I leave a tip. I tend to use those places more often and have no real complaints.

I was in Pattaya Soi Diane near Lk Metro a bar to the side of it and hotel called family bar in April, 4 guys in their early 60's I'd say use the bar regular and watch the football and sit for around 3 hours or so having a few beers each.

These guy's dress quiet smart and come across as quite okay for money when you talk to them.

I nearly spat my JD and coke out when I saw them check bin and leave a tip on tray.

A nice shiny 5 baht coin between the 4 of them. IMO why did they bother leaving the tip at all as I saw it as an insult to the staff who had served them with a smile and efficiently.

The look on the girls face as she went back to the bar with the 5 baht and held it up to show the cashier and mumble away as she put it in the tip tin.

What she said I know not but I bet it was not nice.

No wonder some staff dont give a sh*t when that happens.

Tipping is not compulsory but to leave 5 baht between 4 is a joke IMO.

I totally agree with you.

The problem is that many farang customers expect the staff to kiss ass and crawl at their feet when they walk into a shop or restaurant.

For those that do not think a simple, mai mee is sufficent, than what else do they expect? How about, I`m so sorry your royal hanus, how I can correct this terrible wrong I have done you? Please promise to visit us again, otherwise I`ll kill myself?

As I said; some people just cannot adapt to Thailand, no matter how long they stay here.

I totally agree with you.

The problem is that many farang customers expect the staff to kiss ass and crawl at their feet when they walk into a shop or restaurant.

For those that do not think a simple, mai mee is sufficent, than what else do they expect? How about, I`m so sorry your royal hanus, how I can correct this terrible wrong I have done you? Please promise to visit us again, otherwise I`ll kill myself?

As I said; some people just cannot adapt to Thailand, no matter how long they stay here.

Jump on the band wagon and have a dig eh. The point is they don't want to be bothered to go and look, not that I expect any special treatment. I wish I could adapt like you.... no wonder people get pissed off with this forum and I just remembered why I only have made 500 posts in several years

I run events in lots of different countries and just recently did an event in Bangkok. I can honestly say that from the hotel to the AV suppliers it was some of the best service I've ever received at a fraction of the cost elsewhere.

Then again I have to deal with the UK "service" industry on a day to day basis so maybe my expectations aren't that high!

There's less money in pattaya, and the cheap Charlie's who go to the same places we would who leave the 5 baht tips and expect expect are giving others a bad name.

I give a 20 baht tip for a coke.

The majority of restaurants I eat in, other then the food the service is excellent, not to mention the patience they have with my son, running around (when he becomes impatient)! The staff will play with him, show him the kitchen etc and allow me and my wife to eat! A minimum tip 100baht.

The fact is if your going to eat in neeroys, seaside, robins nest or anywhere around there, we are getting a bad name, because of the regulars who live here, they ruin the place.

For example when I go eat with my uncle, who has lived here 11 years, leaves 5 baht for a tip, its embarrassing, then I feel I have to put 20 baht in!

The simple fact is to give a tip of 20/30 baht which is what 40p/60p! That's 5 minutes work for one of us or less for some! They earn on average 6000baht per month, and you treat them with the upmost disrespect, if they can't understand English and you get annoyed, learn some bleeding Thai!

At the end of the day we are in their country if you don't like it then go home!

Regards

Mr Realist

Often they do have the stuff you ask for. They just don't know where it is. And they don't care.

Happens not only with farangs, but Thais too.

555555 haaaa

the F word comes out

"what happened to calmly explain......"laugh.png

I have to agree with most of the replies, service, for the most part, had gotten better,

Go in the Home Depot in the states and try to get some one to help you.

as far as restaurants are concerned, I like the Tip system we use in the US,

it is a great motivator for good service,

There is a restaurant we always go to in KK, the food is always great but the service was not always the best,

every time we go there,we treat the workers with respect and good humor, and we always give the girl a good tip, you should see how the service has improved now, they literally fall over each other to help as.

I will certainly leave a tip and a good tip where applicable in Thailand. I certainly dont if the service is bad.

I am so happy to find that Australia hasnt a tip culture, in the west I find it morally wrong that staff have to rely on tips.

There's less money in pattaya, and the cheap Charlie's who go to the same places we would who leave the 5 baht tips and expect expect are giving others a bad name.

The majority of restaurants I eat in, other then the food the service is excellent, not to mention the patience they have with my son, running around (when he becomes impatient)! The staff will play with him, show him the kitchen etc and allow me and my wife to eat! A minimum tip 100baht.

The fact is if your going to eat in neeroys, seaside, robins nest or anywhere around there, we are getting a bad name, because of the regulars who live here, they ruin the place.

For example when I go eat with my uncle, who has lived here 11 years, leaves 5 baht for a tip, its embarrassing, then I feel I have to put 20 baht in!

The simple fact is to give a tip of 20/30 baht which is what 40p/60p! That's 5 minutes work for one of us or less for some! They earn on average 6000baht per month, and you treat them with the upmost disrespect, if they can't understand English and you get annoyed, learn some bleeding Thai!

At the end of the day we are in their country if you don't like it then go home!

Regards

Mr Realist

You tip 20 Baht on a 25 Baht bill?

Imo you are nuts...for a meal or a beer session yeah....but that's just ridiculous.

Eat at home.

+1, or even better don't leave his home. Thailand is Thailand, some days good and some days bad. After 21 years here you take it one day at a time in some areas and deal with it. I mean it's not like your going to change anything anyway...are you? I'm not trying to be a smart ass about it, just saying.

Edited by hedonist44

Regards

Mr Realist

You tip 20 Baht on a 25 Baht bill?

Imo you are nuts...for a meal or a beer session yeah....but that's just ridiculous.

A little nuts possibly!

I wouldn't give a tip like that for a coke, equally you wouldn't see me hang around for 5 baht change. Unfortunately a lot of Thais think you're a nutter for tipping big.

I always get amused at how closely my lady studies any bill we get, I mean, every item gets forensically investigated. The Thais are hard on each other when it comes to things like this, so when in Rome????

I wouldn't give a tip like that for a coke, equally you wouldn't see me hang around for 5 baht change. Unfortunately a lot of Thais think you're a nutter for tipping big.

I always get amused at how closely my lady studies any bill we get, I mean, every item gets forensically investigated. The Thais are hard on each other when it comes to things like this, so when in Rome????

I have three choices leave nothing, 5 baht or 20 baht!

First 2 are embarrassing for them, so leave them 20baht. Between 5-6 staff.

Where are you eating ? I find the 4-5 star places to have 4-5 star service ..... I find the sidewalk crapholes to have what you would expect cheap food and marginal service. Were you expecting to be treated like you were at the 4 Seasons when buying your 300 Bht dinner ? Were you expecting to be treated like you were at a 5 star place at Macdonalds ?

The reality is that if the service is bad it's probabbly because you are at a place where you should expect it to be marginal in the first place.

Why would you expect people making 300 bht per day to give good service ? Just because that's the wage ? Because they should just be poor and act like they are making a decent wage ?

It's just another unrealistic expectation that poor people in Thailand must not know they are poor and getting ripped off for labor and should just do their jobs like they are getting a fair wage , like it or not even in Thailand if you want quality products or quality service you aint gona find it at the 400 bht per night hotel or the resturaunt insde it very much of the time.

Don't go to the cheap place and then complain about the cheapness of the place , you got what you asked for.

If your complaint was at the 4 Seasons it might make sence , but they have service you would expect for a 3000 bht Sunday Brunch if you really want great service go to a place like that and stop thinking you even deserve to be treated like you are buying a mercedes when your looking at a used motorbike.

In the real world like it or not , you will and deserve to be treated better at the Mercedes dealership than the sidewalk cafe , it's not just because you are spending more and somehow rich people deserve better treatment , it's because since people spend more at those places the bisness can afford to hire better help , train them better , tolerate less mistakes , ect. That's the Real Deal ...... get used to it

Edited by MrRealDeal

I have three choices leave nothing, 5 baht or 20 baht!

First 2 are embarrassing for them, so leave them 20baht. Between 5-6 staff.

No you are the one feeling embarrassed.

Watch what a Thai does when paying a 3000 Baht restaurant bill.....the tip will be 20 Baht max.

I find staff in hotels, restaurants, shops etc, less subservient than they were 20 years ago, but better trained - The reliance on a grovelling employee replaced by training in what service actually is.

If find both these to be improvements - Better service and the absence of grovelling staff.

Of course I accept that some people really do like grovelling staff and mistake this for service.

• Like 1

OP's complaints have little to do with service. Being mad because your drink is all ice and no soda is not service. A thai not being to understand your cooking directions is not service. you want a chef who speaks english maybe go to a farang operated restaurant and pay for it?

Honestly, service and english skills in Thailand are on the rise. I am always amazed when I call a telephone help line, examples include: auto insurance, airline, baning center and the person I speak with speaks English fluently and understands exactly what I need.

I even made an email a while back to a Thai Tea company and got back an email in perfect english that answered all my questions, amazing really.

I find staff in hotels, restaurants, shops etc, less subservient than they were 20 years ago, but better trained - The reliance on a grovelling employee replaced by training in what service actually is.

If find both these to be improvements - Better service and the absence of grovelling staff.

Of course I accept that some people really do like grovelling staff and mistake this for service.

Can't compare to anything but the last years, but yes, grovelling isn't service and gets kind of old and uncomfortable after a while. I really don't need the doorman to salute me every time either. When I've stayed at 4-5 star hotels the service has been top notch, friendly and competent with no grovelling. I much prefer this to the subservient but incompetent 'service' of lesser places.