Locksmiths

chris2004

bloke known as keyman in soi buakoaw opposite the tues/fri market, white sign red writing can,t miss it

that's near the south pattaya rd end.

he did my locks no problem not expensive

keep the old locks and add new ones

Edited by striderman

replacing the existing locks is cheaper but i thought adding 2 new ones to my double door entry although more expensive would be worth it in the long run security wise.

it's a one off expense so you might as well get it done properly in the first place

I would not trust my house / apt to a 199 baht lock, you get what you pay for.

That's probably true in a house but in a condo most of the protection comes from the fact that no casual observer knows which unit you live in or whether you are in/out/away/sleeping etc etc., and so they wouldn't know which unit to break into. They would probably just end up breaking into an empty rental unit where of course there would be nothing worth stealing anyway. And of course they still have to get past security in the lobby.

When I looked at the locks there didn't seem to be much difference between the quality of the 200B ones and the 400B ones, and I didn't see anything over 400B either. Obviously I avoided the really cheap button type with reversible keys, such as one finds in most small hotels here, as these can be opened in seconds by anyone with a suitable tool.

I would not trust my house / apt to a 199 baht lock, you get what you pay for.

That's probably true in a house but in a condo most of the protection comes from the fact that no casual observer knows which unit you live in or whether you are in/out/away/sleeping etc etc., and so they wouldn't know which unit to break into. They would probably just end up breaking into an empty rental unit where of course there would be nothing worth stealing anyway. And of course they still have to get past security in the lobby.

When I looked at the locks there didn't seem to be much difference between the quality of the 200B ones and the 400B ones, and I didn't see anything over 400B either. Obviously I avoided the really cheap button type with reversible keys, such as one finds in most small hotels here, as these can be opened in seconds by anyone with a suitable tool.

It'a the security i would be worried about, they know where you stay and most likely your comings and goings ( if they're not sleeping ).

replacing the existing locks is cheaper but i thought adding 2 new ones to my double door entry although more expensive would be worth it in the long run security wise.

Indeed. Some owners might be annoyed if a tenant did this though. My door already had two locks, so I thought that changing just one would do the trick.

• 3 months later...

yesterday had a bit of luck when one of the door locks failed in daytime rather than 02 30 or whatever.

after trying with a spare set of keys and with the help of the passing condo electrician got it open, so new lock required.

had a look to see if i could tackle this myself but to release the knobs looked like i needed a set of allen keys which i didn't have so off to see the keyman beside the tues / sat market on buakoaw armed with a couple of pics with the problem lock.

this was about 14 30 so he says can come 17 00.

ok lovely.

turned up at 16 45 does the job and fits a new lock with 3 keys and the bottom line .........550 bht.

seemed fair enough to me...............keyman 0815776752