21.49 Sq.M

LennyW

I have just seen an advert for new condo's in Pattaya - 21.49 Sq.M !!!!

Is there some sort of competition on the go to see who can build the smallest units?

Do people really live in these size of condo's for any length of time or are they just meant to be for weekend breaks or something?

Don't want to get into a debate about house v condo v ownership etc, i would just like to hear members opinions of the viability of living in one of these SMALL units.

Look at the positives: less cleaning to do, you can switch the aircon on 24 hours a day without becoming too costly, it stops you from accumulating too much unnecessary junk.

I couldn't do it, but "shoebox" living seems to suit some people who probably don't want to cook or do anything else other than eat, sleep, <deleted> and watch TV.smile.png

They are designed for Bangkok Thais who want to get away for a short-time and tourists on holidays. They are like living in a hotel room. We have to understand who they are designed for but way too small to be practicable for a long stay. I find the units like VT1 at 32 sqm meter way too small as a person's personal residence so I can't imagine 21.49. I rented a VT1 unit and used it to store suitcases and boxes while I relocated to my new home. For that it served its purpose well but to live there? (yuck!)

They are designed for Bangkok Thais who want to get away for a short-time and tourists on holidays. They are like living in a hotel room. We have to understand who they are designed for but way too small to be practicable for a long stay. I find the units like VT1 at 32 sqm meter way too small as a person's personal residence so I can't imagine 21.49. I rented a VT1 unit and used it to store suitcases and boxes while I relocated to my new home. For that it served its purpose well but to live there? (yuck!)

This is what i was thinking, i could not see people calling this home for any extended length of time.

Does anybody know of any smaller units on the go here?

Some of these new build very small condos are on the market at around 900k / 1m baht. What are the drivers to invest this money if only being used for weekender/holidays as to me doesn't make sense. It's not as though you have a kitchen to cook meals, laundry and so on. I assume the target market is for Thai investors seeking mid term capital gain/rental income - is this correct?

Some of these new build very small condos are on the market at around 900k / 1m baht. What are the drivers to invest this money if only being used for weekender/holidays as to me doesn't make sense. It's not as though you have a kitchen to cook meals, laundry and so on. I assume the target market is for Thai investors seeking mid term capital gain/rental income - is this correct?

That might be the initial goal, however, with the sheer numbers of these units - 10,000 + due to become available in the next couple of years in the Jomtien area alone, that will be a very hard market to succeed in - rents will be driven way down and resales that show a capital gain....forget it!

I always look at these small units as "buy your own hotel room" material rather than a condo to actually live in.

I could not even consider living in less than 30sqm, and would normally think of 40+ as being a practical minimum. And that's for living alone. I'm currently in 65sqm with a wide balcony and very open view, and find it just about right.

As mentioned, quite what is going to happen when there are untold thousands of these places on the rental/resale market is a bit of a mystery. Maybe hordes of Russians will come and stay in them. All the room cleaning and laundry and maintenance will be a bit of a game also.

Many hotel rooms are around that size so if your want your own hotel for the weekend then they are a sensible buy. I can understand someone who works in Bangkok having a Pattaya weekend home like this. To live full time time of course i think you need at least 70+ sq m. My condo is 100 sq m which is about right for 2 people.

Many hotel rooms are around that size so if your want your own hotel for the weekend then they are a sensible buy. I can understand someone who works in Bangkok having a Pattaya weekend home like this. To live full time time of course i think you need at least 70+ sq m. My condo is 100 sq m which is about right for 2 people.

You can rent some very descent hotel rooms for many days for 800k - 1mill bath and you can even choose with country/city you want to stay in. Singapore- Hong Kong and so on.

I would never buy even a weekend condo on <25 M2, +60M2 is more like it and I think it would sell easier as well.

Although I haven't heard of these small 21m2 units before I have seen 32m2 studio units 'converted' into 1 bedroom units with an interior wall put down the middle so it doesn't surprise me that Thais consider such small spaces to be viable. Indeed the viability of living in a small unit depends on the layout and design - I found a video on youtube of amazing space-saving furniture

- no idea where you'd buy it in Thailand but that would make 21m2 perfectly livable, It really made me consider how much more enjoyable living in my 72m2 condo would be if I had such furniture, I bet it's really expensive.

Uhm, if you store suitcases and boxes in a 32m2 condo, leaving merely 21m2 to live on it may be considered rather small.

Didn't stay there; too small, storage only. I do understand these small units are for weekenders or short stay. I've got a Bangkok condo that serves the same purpose, only occupied 2 weeks out of the year.

Didn't stay there; too small, storage only. I do understand these small units are for weekenders or short stay. I've got a Bangkok condo that serves the same purpose, only occupied 2 weeks out of the year.

Did you buy it for the purpose to stay in it 2 weeks a year?

I almost bought a room that size in Waikiki Hawaii about 25 years ago - now has gone sky high. Jomtien reminds me of early Hawaii prices. I got a 38 sq meter condo at VT 1 I love that place. The pool is really nice too.

- think = buying a hotel room.

Yes, It was purchased for week-ends. Seems like Bangkok Thais are doing the same with their Pattaya condo purchases (and to escape future floods).

I almost bought a room that size in Waikiki Hawaii about 25 years ago - now has gone sky high. Jomtien reminds me of early Hawaii prices. I got a 38 sq meter condo at VT 1 I love that place. The pool is really nice too.

Comparing Jomtien to Hawaii - I've heard it all now!

There are people who live in caravans and trailer parks who seem to manage alright. It's not the size that counts, it the way the space is utilised.

Rattling around in a massive apartment might be good for the ego, if you really have friends who are impressed by the size of your extension, maybe you need to get out more. Hotel rooms are usually well designed and equipped, small but functional - and really if you want to see families living in tiny rooms go visit a slum.

Yes, It was purchased for week-ends. Seems like Bangkok Thais are doing the same with their Pattaya condo purchases (and to escape future floods).

I am sure you are correct, just look at the monster they are building on Sukhumvit road not far from Bangkok/Pattaya hospital, man its ugly, very small units with hardly any balcony but cheap m2 prices I been told.

This thread has sparked my interest in space-saving furniture - if I were living in a 21Sq.M unit I'd get one of these ceiling beds

A-Lift-bed-800-logo_350_385.jpg

It's made by a German company, it's ingenious - don't know whether you can buy them in Thailand - but would let you effectively double the space. I'd like one for my two-bedroom condo as it would let me use the main bedroom during the day. I never thought about it before but I never use the bedroom during the day and never sleep on the sofa in the living room at night - this ceiling bed idea is great. I bet it's ghastly expensive, though.

• Like 1

One of my apartments is 27sqm, setup is well planned and i liie it as a short term place. It is all about setup, wasted walls, storsge and mirrors. Im a thin guy and my wife is skinny too and we do it fine for 1-3 month stretch no problem. For a first apt abroad or overnighter its very good. It can be done.

Sent from my GT-P6200L using Thaivisa Connect App

Comparing Jomtien to Hawaii - I've heard it all now!

Yeah, that comparison was rich!

They may suite some that want a crash pad in Patters...but as for rental market..no way!!!.lost count how many times prospective tenants have just turned around and walked out of condos at 28sqm...21.9...wouldnt even bother looking.....Park Lane and the likes at 34sqm 1 bed are designed well but still too small for long term residency

21.49 Sq.m? that's positively palatial compared to the email I've just recieved about a 21.25 Sq.m unit.

Studios will range in size from 21.25 M2 to 23.85 M2 with prices starting at THB 956,250 for Thai or company ownership.

The one-bedrooms are between 31.75 M2 and 32.70 M2 with a start price of THB 1,430,100.

The two-beds are from 42.95 M2 to 50.63 M2 and start at THB 1,932,750.