U.S. Drone Strike Kills 5 Suspected Militants In Pakistan

News_Editor

U.S. drone strike kills 5 suspected militants in Pakistan < br />

2012-06-27 15:54:29 GMT+7 (ICT)

MIRANSHAH, PAKISTAN (BNO NEWS) -- A U.S. drone strike struck a suspected militant compound in Pakistan's volatile tribal region on late Tuesday, killing at least five people believed to be militants and injuring three others, Pakistani intelligence officials said on Wednesday.

The latest attack was carried out on Tuesday evening when an unmanned U.S. drone fired two missiles at a suspected militant hideout in the Shawal area, which is located about 50 kilometers (31 miles) southwest of Miranshah, the main town of Pakistan's volatile North Waziristan tribal area, which is also near the Afghan border.

Pakistani intelligence officials, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said the U.S. operation targeted a building where militants loyal to local warlord Hafiz Gul Bahadur, who is believed to be allied with the Afghan Taliban, were hiding. "The compound was completely destroyed by the missiles," the official said.

The intelligence officials said five suspected militants were killed and three others were injured, but their nationalities and affiliation were not immediately known. It was not possible to independently verify the figures provided by the officials, but there were no immediate claims that civilians were among the casualties.

Earlier this month, al-Qaeda deputy leader Abu Yahya al-Libi was killed when an unmanned U.S. drone fired at least two missiles at a compound and a nearby pickup truck in the village of Hesokhel, located in the Mir Ali district just east of Miranshah. It was the most serious blow to al-Qaeda since U.S. Navy SEALs killed Osama bin Laden during a secret military operation in the Pakistani city of Abbotabad in May 2011.

The Pakistani government strongly condemned the drone strikes, calling them unlawful, against international law and a violation of Pakistan's sovereignty. Pakistan's foreign ministry summoned U.S. Charge d'Affairs Ambassador Richard Hoagland following the incident, informing him once again that the U.S. drone strikes are a "clear red-line" for Pakistan.

Pakistani officials have repeatedly described the U.S. drone attacks as illegal. Pakistani President Asif Zardari has expressed the need to establish alternative security operations to the drone strikes, but U.S. officials have indicated that they will continue to carry out drone strikes to take out militants.

Few details about casualties from the strikes are usually available, but allegations of civilian casualties regularly spark protests in Pakistan. According to the Washington-based think tank New America Foundation, as many as 2,680 individuals were killed as a result of U.S. drone strikes in Pakistan between 2004 and early 2012.

In January, U.S. President Barack Obama, for the first time during his presidency, publicly acknowledged that U.S. drones regularly strike suspected militants along the border between Afghanistan and Pakistan. He confirmed that many of these strikes are carried out in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) of Pakistan, targeting al-Qaeda and Taliban suspects in tough terrain.

The U.S. considers the Pakistan-Afghan border to be the most dangerous place on Earth. The area is known to be a stronghold of the Taliban-affiliated Haqqani Network, which is one of the top terrorist organizations and threats to U.S.-led forces in Afghanistan.

But controversy has surrounded the drone strikes as local residents and officials have blamed them for killing innocent civilians and motivating young men to join the Taliban. Details about the alleged militants are usually not provided, and the U.S. government does not comment on the strikes.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-06-27

Whats the difference between a "militant" and a "freedom fighter"?

I think some of these militants actually were freedom fighters during the soviet occupation of afghanistan. I guess freedom fighters can turn into militants. Is vice-versa also possible?

I think some of these militants actually were freedom fighters during the soviet occupation of afghanistan. I guess freedom fighters can turn into militants. Is vice-versa also possible?

Let's wait to determine the nationality of the deceased. If they are from any other Stan than Pakistan I think we can automatically label them militant.

Always plenty of scope for semantics in this one! Militant today is often used as a euphemism for terrorist. much to the horror of groups like the UK's Militant Labour political group and even more so the Christian organization, Church Militant! Neither group are known for their use of IEDs!

Former Afghan anti-Soviet freedom fighters? Remember the Soviets pulled out in Feb 89, so unless they are early 40's plus it's as likely as a 50 year old in Pattaya claiming to have fought in Vietnam, & SF of course!

Transforming terrorists? Nice coincidence with Queen of England shaking hand of PIRA murderer McGuinnes now that he is a leading NI politician. Interesting to see if Prince Phillip did the same given PIRA murdered his 79 year old uncle(together with an 83 year old woman and 2 children) in 1979.

If these militants were from Uzbekistan, Tajikistan etc not sure why this automatically removes the label of "freedom fighter" given the brutal nature of many of the "Stan" regimes. Much of Israel's early political hierarchy were former brutal "terrorists" and were part of organizations that had been allied with the German Nazi party and Mussolini's fascists. Such is the messy nature of realpolitik and the "enemy of my enemy...." syndrome that is always part of such conflicts.

Always plenty of scope for semantics in this one! Militant today is often used as a euphemism for terrorist. much to the horror of groups like the UK's Militant Labour political group and even more so the Christian organization, Church Militant! Neither group are known for their use of IEDs!

Former Afghan anti-Soviet freedom fighters? Remember the Soviets pulled out in Feb 89, so unless they are early 40's plus it's as likely as a 50 year old in Pattaya claiming to have fought in Vietnam, & SF of course!

Transforming terrorists? Nice coincidence with Queen of England shaking hand of PIRA murderer McGuinnes now that he is a leading NI politician. Interesting to see if Prince Phillip did the same given PIRA murdered his 79 year old uncle(together with an 83 year old woman and 2 children) in 1979.

If these militants were from Uzbekistan, Tajikistan etc not sure why this automatically removes the label of "freedom fighter" given the brutal nature of many of the "Stan" regimes. Much of Israel's early political hierarchy were former brutal "terrorists" and were part of organizations that had been allied with the German Nazi party and Mussolini's fascists. Such is the messy nature of realpolitik and the "enemy of my enemy...." syndrome that is always part of such conflicts.

If said militants were from another Stan they have basically traveled to a foreign Country to join in their fight, which is not even one approved of by most of the Pakistani people seeing as the Taliban make their lives hell. Whether their own home Stans were dictatorships or not is besides the point, unless of course you subscribe to the Islamist view that all Muslim lands should come under the same rule (Caliphate).

P.S I think you will find that discussion of Israeli militant groups from 60 years ago is off topic.

Not likely. The mortality rate for the Taliban has been quite high. Aside from the occupational hazards of being an insurgent/terrorist, life expectancy for most people in Afghanistan is not that good, at 48 years. If you pull out the population not engaged in fighting, I think 35 years would be a fair estimate for a retired Taliban. For an active Taliban, I think 25 is pushing it. Back in the 1980's the life expectancy was about 39 excluding the fighters, If someone was going to have been fighting the Soviets in the 1970's and 1980's, they would now be in their 50's and 60's and that just doesn't line up with the life expectancies. As well, the typical age of the taliban fighter is now between 14 and 25, with field commanders topping out at 25.

As such your attempt to classify the current Taliban as former freedom fighters doesn't work.

Edited by geriatrickid

Definition of freedom fighter v militant / terrorist are as follows so that there can be no misconstruing.

Freedom fighter : Is an individual or group of individuals which conduct military styled operations for the benefit or percieved benefit of the USA ,its interests and its allies. [The west]

Militant / Terrorist : Is an individual or group of individuals which conduct military styled operations against the USA, its interests and its allies.

Therefore the "individuals" that are operating in and around the lawless region of northwest Pakistan today, fall into the militant / terrorist catagory by default. If one gets the opportunity to travel to this region and speak with the locals they call these so labelled terrorist, مجاهد [Mudjahid] which translates to... guess what ??? Freedom fighter. thumbsup.gif

Personnally when it comes to this particular area of the world I am 100% behind the covert operations being conducted against these dangerous groups of individuals only for the fact that the Pakastani government seems to be either incapable, unwilling , compliant or all of the above to reign in these criminal groups. This is where our war should be. Not in Iraq, not in Iran, not in Afghanistan.But in Pakistan.IMO the most dangerous country in the world.

Perhaps before defining 'freedom fighter' a stab at defining freedom would be useful. From some people's skewed perspective I suspect freedom is defined by the right to murder, rape, torture any individuals in a region where one has historically lived without any fear of outside intervention. I think a more useful definition would be the ability of all individuals wherever they reside to benefit from the terms laid down in the universal human rights declaration.

I am sure the innocent people of Waziristan feel a little terrorised everytime they hear or see a predator drone over head. Not knowing when or where the next hellfire missile is going to strike. I know the feeling well everytime a US fast mover is flying overhead dumping ordance in and around and sometimes on one's position. There is only one way to describe it and that is " terrifying".

terrifying [ˈtɛrɪˌfaɪɪŋ]

adj

causing great fear or dread; extremely frightening. Farkin right!!!

I have removed some (reported) posts for having absolutely nothing to with the topic. There are others that should go too, however rather than starting a bickering session, could everyone who is participating please try to post on topic.

Thank-you.

Meanwhile back on planet earth.

http://www.guardian....tan?INTCMP=SRCH

Not claiming that CIA reports etc. are always truthful or accurate.

In all probabilty, there are innocect casualties, case of bad intelligence and shady informers.

But what you have here is basically a guy with an agenda, getting a second hand translated report from a group of people with their own agenda.