Ed Visa For 15 Months/34000 Baht, No Need To Go To The Embassy/Immigration

I went to the Jomtien Immigration and next to it seen a company selling ED visa for 34000 baht claiming that I do not have to go anywhere (out of Thailand), just pay 34000 and get a stamp which will say I can stay till September next year. Is this a scam? Anyone can recommend this?

I would be very careful with things like this and in fact the stamps may not even be legit...know one guy who got an "agent" to arrange a stamp in country and was caught out at a land border...they were actually going to lock him up

That is what I have thought since sometimes even the immigration officer makes a mistake in the date but it is our responsibility to check it. So I suppose perhaps they provide this stamp like an "intentional mistake" and when going back next year, they would get me at the border. But judging by the number of passports they process every day I might be wrong and this is just a good business for the officers in Jomtien.

Also remember that no matter what you have you will be required to report to immigration everyday 90 consecutive days in the Kingdom.

If whatever your given isnt legit it will be picked up at that point.

Edited by CharlieH

I have a friend who has just changed from marriage visa to Ed visa (D I V O R C E) valid for a further 12 months.

He has to fork out: 25kB for thai language course:

4kB to change visa;

and report every 90 days to Immi.

So, you are better off approaching a language school, be prepared to pay ~ 25kB (for at least 120hr of language tuition), and a bit more for visa change to12 m Ed visa - all legitimate!AA

"Change of visa" does not cost a thing in this case.

What the OP describes is clearly illegal, as he will not be studying and thus not qualifies. The 15 months stay in itself could be legal, if given by immigration. (Conversion to ED-visa and stay of 3 months if not on a non-immigrant visa (2,000 baht), followed by 1 year extension of stay (for 1,900 baht). But the ED-visa requires you to study at least 4 hours a week or you lose the right to stay in Thailand.

Remember that if you go ahead and acquire an Ed visa, immigration do converse with you in Thai to checkout whether you are attending classes or not

believe it or not, learning Thai is not mandatory. even English will do.

• Like 1

Remember that if you go ahead and acquire an Ed visa, immigration do converse with you in Thai to checkout whether you are attending classes or not

Didn't know that - interesting the Ed visa places are not highlighting this info

That would be for non native English speakers.

I think Mario has nailed it down.

34000 Baht for a language course entitling you for an ED visa does not sound illegal as such.

But simply buy the document from the (language) school and then not attending any course etc. is illegal.

And if the misuse of this visa type inflates more and more, they might well enforce stricter checks.

There were some stories (true or not) like: one is staying here for 3 years or so on an ED visa (Thai language course).

Immi officer asks him simple questions in Thai -> "no understand".

Extension denied,

Edited by KhunBENQ

An ED-visa can be submitted for numerous of courses as long as:

- the school is registered at the provincial MoE.

- the curriculum is approved by the same MoE

- the total course per year is at least 180 hours

- there are 4 one-hour classes per week

- you attend at least 90% of the total course

Examples of courses: Thai language, Thai culture, Thai religion, Diving, Snorkeling, Thai cooking, different languages, Massage courses, Yoga..............

• Like 1

Indeed, they told me I could also attend the language school (but not required, of course, as we all know) so perhaps it was not that illegal after all. Anyway, I decided to use another more legit school as I need to improve my Thai (22000 baht). Next year I might switch to learning German, I have seen some schools offer this, too. I just wonder, is this unlimited? I have heard I can do this for up to 10 years?

What seemed quite strange to me, though, was that they claimed I did not have to go to the immigration and report every 3 months either. That was where I started to suspect that this might be a little fishy. Anyway, I have decided to do it the legit way so that do not have to worry I have done something illegal.

says who? little do you know what's going on behind your back laugh.png 'nuff said! whistling.gif

Indeed, they told me I could also attend the language school (but not required, of course, as we all know) so perhaps it was not that illegal after all. Anyway, I decided to use another more legit school as I need to improve my Thai (22000 baht). Next year I might switch to learning German, I have seen some schools offer this, too. I just wonder, is this unlimited? I have heard I can do this for up to 10 years?

10 years is by far not enough to learn German. just to master the genders of subjects takes approximately 29 years and 8 months for an above average intelligent foreigner. most of the foreigners never succeed tongue.png

there... there... no need to call me a smartàss! one of my two "native mother" tongues is German smile.png

I think Mario has nailed it down.

34000 Baht for a language course entitling you for an ED visa does not sound illegal as such.

But simply buy the document from the (language) school and then not attending any course etc. is illegal.

And if the misuse of this visa type inflates more and more, they might well enforce stricter checks.

There were some stories (true or not) like: one is staying here for 3 years or so on an ED visa (Thai language course).

Immi officer asks him simple questions in Thai -> "no understand".

Extension denied,

bad planning! he should have gone for Thai cooking or snorkeling to avoid tests at the immigration office.

• Like 1

This is thailand not everything is done above board,We give the police teamoney to avoid a fine for not wearing our helmets when riding a motorbike,some students on ed visas pay tea money not to do the 90 day reports,why are people so horrified,money number one in thailand

10 years is by far not enough to learn German. just to master the genders of subjects takes approximately 29 years and 8 months for an above average intelligent foreigner. most of the foreigners never succeed tongue.png

there... there... no need to call me a smartàss! one of my two "native mother" tongues is German smile.png

Actually, I can speak German quite good already (and know the genders of most subjects, too :-) just want to improve it a little. Or Russian, which I can read/speak, too, but there is always room for improvement and if it comes with a visa, why not :)

The price sounds high unless it includes the fees for immigration. I suspect that they are just giving a sales pitch without divulging the full details. Such as possibly doing a change of visa status and then an extension or extensions.

They can do the 90 day reports for you but everything else done at immigration requires your attendance.

Edited by ubonjoe

Actually, I can speak German quite good already (and know the genders of most subjects, too :-) just want to improve it a little. Or Russian, which I can read/speak, too, but there is always room for improvement and if it comes with a visa, why not smile.png

then why not go for German? i don't think too many immigration officers will be able to test your language skills. but in my [not so] humble view "studying" Thai cooking is more delicious and less boring than "ich, meiner, mir mich, du, deiner, dir, dich, er, seiner, ihm... etc."

There's no shortage of native English speakers here in dire need of being taught how to speak and write English.

• Like 2

Yes, I will try to do German next year. I just hope they have native speakers, not just Thai (ex-)wives of German (s)expats since in such a case we might as well switch the roles and I could be the teacher :)

"there are 4 one-hour classes per week"

Isn't it just four hours a week?

It is, I will be going to the school only one time a week.

How about if student wants to take 3 week holiday to someplace. Is it somehow possible with these 100% legal ed-visa language etc setups?

I've been doing the ED visa for two years now and they've never checked how often I go to the school, or whether I go at all - although I do go regularly, twice a week. But last time I went to do the 90 day thing in Jomtien soi 5, I thought we were done and dusted but they sent me over to another police sergeant who asked me two or three questions to test my knowledge of Thai. I think it might happen quite a lot because the girls at the school (Walen) usually give me a little bit of coaching on the FAQs - eg what is your home address, what days do you go to school, what times are your classes - just before I head over to the immigration.