Songkran Festival

Hi again,

I would like to plan my stay in Samui to coincide with the Songkran Festival in April. I was first told that the main day would be April 15th for the water fights and parties etc.....but now I have been told April 12 and 13.

Can anyone tell me what happens and which dates would be best to experience?

Thanks so much!

L

Thanks so much, Mike!

I really am looking forward to it....at this stage I will definitely be there for the 12th but am wondering about the 13th, might have timing issues.....

Hopefully there will still be some sights to see and fun to be had on the 12th!!!

Why don't you like it, mitmig?

songkran is a fun time that is being ruined by tourists who think its funny to squirt ice cold water

from "jet-pipes" straight into your face....

last year i was caught like this , lost a contact lens and ended up in hospital to remove the lens from

behind my eye!

on samui , the kids start on the evening of the 11th with small water pistols , the evening of the 12th

gets more hectic with alot of bars starting with the bigger "guns"

the main day is the 13th .... GREAT FUN!! all day , evrybody , just great fun!!!

the 14th is back to kids and the last of the " young men"

15th back to normal.......

allowing yourself to be wet thru for 2 days and having a good supply of plastic bags for money/mobile etc

ensures yourself a time to be remembered!!.......hope to see you!

www.thepfc.com

Pompeynick is right .... those tourist spoil the fun! Last year they opened the passengerdoor of my neighbours car and threw a bucket of water inside! So much for having fun! :o And I don't like all those drunk and driving people (tourist and Thai) on the road!

Should be a great time in LOS but it aint..... :o

One period that I have marked up in my calendar with a big RED circle to AVOID.

Can still smell the rank,smelly,fetid,stinking klong water that some prat (americian)thought was funny to discharge in my direction around 1994 in Suk road.(I told him not to -politely)

Visions of an extended stay in Bang Kwang was the only thing that stopped me ramming his swirt gun 3 feet up his anal passage and dropping his mangy carcus down the nearest Skytrain foundation sewer......A/H...however he ran away faster than me.... :D

Wow, Koh Phangan it only lasts about one day. Didn't realize Koh Samui was so OTT now.

In Samui it really lasts for one day also, except maybe in Chaweng.

It does start the day before though are either Thai kids who most of the time respect the fact that you may not wanna be sprayed in spite of the farking tourist c*nts who go out of the way to spray you that day. Hate those brastards.

In general, for me Songkran is great if I don't have to work.

Not only tourists Mitmig , I had Thai people rub Prickly Heat powder on my face & eyes . Ouchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

:D:D:o I always make sure I have enough food in the house and stay in!!!

You & me both mate, mind you, i'm a miserable B*****d at christmas too:)

I look forward to it.....

You don't realize what you're saying; you just have to experience it..... :o It has gone into EXTREMES and it's not funny at all anymore.

1 time completely soaking wet...ok...2 times...ok...3 times ok...but 24 hours.....? Last Songkran in Samui was like CRAZY and also very dangerous!

Well, you might want to dress up nice and 'cute' for the evening to go out for dinner, right? Watch yourself after 5 minutes :D:D:D send me a pic please!

LaoPo

You don't realize what you're saying

Well, you might want to dress up nice and 'cute' for the evening to go out for dinner, right? Watch yourself after 5 minutes :o:D:D send me a pic please!

LaoPo

Well thanks for the advice LaoPo. Of course I don't know what I am saying in regards to Songkran. That's why I am asking what happens. If it is too rough and not worth seeing I will postpone my trip for another time.

I don't dress 'nice and cute'

Well, you might want to dress up nice and 'cute' for the evening to go out for dinner, right? Watch yourself after 5 minutes :o:D:D send me a pic please!

LaoPo

Well thanks for the advice LaoPo. Of course I don't know what I am saying in regards to Songkran. That's why I am asking what happens. If it is too rough and not worth seeing I will postpone my trip for another time.

i had tooth knock out last year by bucket. i cost 16000 bhat for implant.

Well, you might want to dress up nice and 'cute' for the evening to go out for dinner, right? Watch yourself after 5 minutes :D:D:burp: send me a pic please!

LaoPo

Why not dress nice and cute? your avatar-girl is so beautifull.....is it you?

I remember a guy who, for some reason, ended up in Jomtien/Pattaya, just for 2 days.

He stayed at Jomtien beach, walked out relaxed-and-easy to the beach :D:D:D

to the left:

traffic completely 'stucked' with pickup trucks loaded with water-drums and at least 12 people in each of them...

To the right: the same thing :o ALL OF THEM throwing, blowing, splashing water upon each other.......

In the evening he took a taxi to downtown Pattaya...

At a certain moment he 'faced' a street-crossing with 50-60 of people throwing, blowing and shooting water upon each other.....with very POWERFUL WATERGUNS... :D

But..this guy was clever and hided himself in a quiet bar..ordered a beer and had a nice talk with the fellow next to him...he was still DRY :D

WITHIN 30 seconds...a cute girl was walking by and gave him the SURPRISE-OF-THE-EVENING with her POWERFUL WATERGUN.....

It was great fun....

The guy was me :D

YES: it's such a great fun...SONGKRAN in THAILAND.

LaoPo

Not only tourists Mitmig , I had Thai people rub Prickly Heat powder on my face & eyes . Ouchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

They probably knew you were Australian.. :D

Oh ChuChoook from now on lol, touche.I suppose you trouble holding gun with Velcro gloves? :o

The (rules) are, that the water throwing lasts one day & usually finish by 5-6 PM.These are the rules lol.But rules are meant to be broken.I have attended several seasons & you always find some inubriated groups of farangs carrying on until discouraged by business owners.

Again you have to experience it.Lots of fun can be had.

Thank you for the information everyone! It has been very helpful.

Does anything happen the day before the festival? On April 12th? Lisa

Yes Lisa lol , just watch all the crawlers lmaooooooooooooooooooo. Have a good time mate , just stick with some sensible people & you'll be right. You always have the option of walking away.Some of the posters do show concern & they are right to do so as they have probably been trough a few of them to varying degrees of exposure you might say.Just stay off the main drag find a nice restaurant.hotel,ect.... & join in the fun.You ,can only make up your mind if you like it or not.

:o