Phuket Scams And Rip Offs

bedbugy

you will be riped off soon as you step foot in phuket

at the bus terminal in phuket town try getting a taxi to patong beach 500/600 baht over the hill no public buses

at the airport tha taxi will cost more than the flight

at patong the tuk tuks will not move for less than 200 baht

on beach road try a stroll you be bombarbed with taylors and folk who will tell you your mothers name they stick like clue

at the pharmacy try buying at what you payed in your local thai town 100% mark up

the jet skis use emullsion paint to cover up the scratches and marks after 30 mins in the water it comes off your wallet or you life

thank god for 7/11s

never to return

• Like 1

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could say the same basic thing about every Ski Area in America or Everything from Disneyland to Vegas ..... It's called a tourist trap over here , and it's not really a scam or a rip off it's just that tourist places charge more for the same thing , a subway sandwitch in Vegas is easy 2 times what I pay back home. Try buying a Burger at Aspen sometime and you will know what a rip off really is !

The jet ski thing does qualify though , I actually would rent one once in a while if it weren't for the scams.

• Like 2

I have corrected the spelling mistakes in the topic title ... biggrin.png

at the bus terminal in phuket town try getting a taxi to patong beach 500/600 baht over the hill no public buses

Actually there is a public bus over the hill for 30 baht. Yes I know that bus does not run from the bus terminal but a Puket town bus service will link to that route. Yes, not so easy I agree.

at the airport tha taxi will cost more than the flight

You must get very cheap flights. Taxi to Patong about 600 baht.

at patong the tuk tuks will not move for less than 200 baht

That is true ... sad.png

• Like 1

imagine the voice of Robert newton in treasure island speaking, "he's got a bad case of island fever captain", the love/hate relationship with Phuket is swinging to the latter me thinks. you've answered your own questions bedbugy, calm down your just having a bad day, anger management the movie, all together sing "i feel happy, i feel happy , i feel happy".

put some new batteries in your bullsh*t detector, take a deep breath and relax, get out there tiger and take no prisoners

• Like 1

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

That's the most original quote I have ever seen on TV!

And it doesn't matter how often you ridicule it, you'll never catch up.

I suppose I should've posted

, instead of the link above.

SC

I was just scammed (joking) out of 300 baht by my motorbike mechanic who spent about 3 hours rebuilding my carburetor and putting in a new air filter, which had dissolved and plugged up my carburetor... What a rip off! biggrin.png

imagine the voice of Robert newton in treasure island speaking, "he's got a bad case of island fever captain", the love/hate relationship with Phuket is swinging to the latter me thinks. you've answered your own questions bedbugy, calm down your just having a bad day, anger management the movie, all together sing "i feel happy, i feel happy , i feel happy".

put some new batteries in your bullsh*t detector, take a deep breath and relax, get out there tiger and take no prisoners

I'm on my tenth "bullsh*t detector." smile.pngsmile.png They wear out a lot quicker in Phuket. smile.pngsmile.png

Your feelings about Phuket is a fair one - "love/hate relationship" - I can relate to that. At the moment, for me, the good still outweighs the bad, but I'm seeing the bad on the increase and the good on a rapid decline on this island.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

Interesting how the "bad" vibes/complaints/ripoffs are usually instigated from Thai men: jet skis/tuk tuks/traffic/politicians/handbag snatchers/etc.

And most of the "good" stuff relates more to the women: food/bars/smiles/massages

Just generalizing again.

Interesting how the "bad" vibes/complaints/ripoffs are usually instigated from Thai men: jet skis/tuk tuks/traffic/politicians/handbag snatchers/etc.

And most of the "good" stuff relates more to the women: food/bars/smiles/massages

Just generalizing again.

I've never been "done over" financially by a Thai girl (whether she worked in a bar as a prositute or was legitimate staff somewhere) however, how many guys do we know that have been, and for bigger money than the price of a scratch on a rented motorbike/jet-ski or a tuk-tuk ride etc etc.

No doubt that this demographic of Thai women lie, scam, cheat etc big money out of foreigners. In general, I would say the above examples of rip offs are for smaller money, but over hundreds of people, mainly tourist, but, historically, the Thai women have ripped off larger amounts of money, but from fewer victims.

In general, the modus operandi of the Thai women is using the promise of companionship, love and sex - where the Thai guys use extortion, monopoly and violence.

So, I'll have to disagree with you fiddlehead. Thai women are just as ruthless in their pursuit of money from foreigners as their male counterparts, but would accept that the Thai men negatively effect more people, but for smaller money, and when those people are tourist, and the island's main business is tourism, that's not a great way of running a business.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

Just generalizing again.

I've never been "done over" financially by a Thai girl (whether she worked in a bar as a prositute or was legitimate staff somewhere) however, how many guys do we know that have been, and for bigger money than the price of a scratch on a rented motorbike/jet-ski or a tuk-tuk ride etc etc.

No doubt that this demographic of Thai women lie, scam, cheat etc big money out of foreigners. In general, I would say the above examples of rip offs are for smaller money, but over hundreds of people, mainly tourist, but, historically, the Thai women have ripped off larger amounts of money, but from fewer victims.

In general, the modus operandi of the Thai women is using the promise of companionship, love and sex - where the Thai guys use extortion, monopoly and violence.

So, I'll have to disagree with you fiddlehead. Thai women are just a ruthless in their pursuit of money as their male counterparts, but would accept that the Thai men negatively effect more people, but for smaller money, and when those people are tourist, and the island's main business is tourism, that's not a great way of running a business.

I don't think of it as being ripped off - I like to think of it as education; part of growing up, and being British.

Sometimes, an expensive education is the best and we pay later for a failure to invest, or learn, in our youth

SC

So, I'll have to disagree with you fiddlehead. Thai women are just as ruthless in their pursuit of money from foreigners as their male counterparts, but would accept that the Thai men negatively effect more people, but for smaller money, and when those people are tourist, and the island's main business is tourism, that's not a great way of running a business.

Only if you marry them.

Hey, was just driving around Nai Harn and glanced up at the awesome wiring we get to experience here was thinking about this thread and couldn't help wondering that if Thai women were the electricians and cable/internet service people, wouldn't the wiring be more efficient (and neater)?

I like to think so anyway.

Again, I'm generalizing. Something I don't normally like to do.

Edited by fiddlehead

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

That's the most original quote I have ever seen on TV!

In true Phuket fashion, make sure you ask how much it costs to use the door first, and if you agree on the price, then hope that it doesn't fall off it's hinges, otherwise, you will be made to pay for a new house. :) :) :) :)

An inspiration to us all!

If only more would follow your example

SC

Thats a bit pots and kettles, isn't it?

If only the Thai authorities would "delete" the scams and rips offs, then there would be no need for threads like these, but I'm sure everyone has a wonderful holiday here that starts as soon as they walk out the airport exit door with the taxis and limos that are happy to welcome new visitors to Phuket. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

An inspiration to us all!

If only more would follow your example

SC

Thats a bit pots and kettles, isn't it?

If only the Thai authorities would "delete" the scams and rips offs, then there would be no need for threads like these, but I'm sure everyone has a wonderful holiday here that starts as soon as they walk out the airport exit door with the taxis and limos that are happy to welcome new visitors to Phuket. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

The Taxis at the airport are fixed price...the prices are clearly displayed in arrivals. So you can wipe that off the scam list.

Do you really think any authority can delete all scams and rip offs? What type of Utopian land are you from....I need to book tickets immediately.

The Taxis at the airport are fixed price...the prices are clearly displayed in arrivals. So you can wipe that off the scam list.

Do you really think any authority can delete all scams and rip offs? What type of Utopian land are you from....I need to book tickets immediately.

Whilst it's hardly utopia, Pattaya and Bangkok are cities in Thailand. One has a baht bus system, there other has metered taxis. Why can't Phuket have these???? We all know the answer. The island is run by criminals.

The prices for transport here, even though you are aware of them, is still a scam, due to the ridiculous charges.

Well if the authorities in every other country in the world cant delete scams from existence I very much doubt the Thai authorities can.

Next time you get a Taxi in New York or London or Coolangatta airport etc remind yourself of that.