Any Alternative To Frozen Salmon?

I'm sure the answer to this is no, but one never know so I'll post it anyway. Salmon is a cold water fish, so it must be imported from Japan, Alaska, Australia or somewhere. I love fresh salmon, leaps and bounds better than frozen. Has anybody ever seen fresh salmon sold anywhere here. Perhaps shipped in still alive? Thanks.

post-58274-0-73188700-1340883066_thumb.j

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I buy my salmon from Macro, it is defrosted when I buy it, so I can only assume that it was once frozen. Even so, it's bloody beautiful.

I'll second that; they have the best Salmon in town IMO.

What town?

I buy my salmon from Macro, it is defrosted when I buy it, so I can only assume that it was once frozen. Even so, it's bloody beautiful.

What town?

Any town there is a Makro I would guess; for me it's CM.

comes from salmon farms in Norway. don't know whether it's the best in town but i agree that it is very good. my dogs second my motion!

What town?

I buy mine in Pattaya.

Some lots of years ago used to buy really fresh salmon at Celio Falls, just upstream on the Columbia River from Portland.

And, looks like they might be coming back! The salmon that is, not the Indians, or Celio Falls.

Mac

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47991126/ns/us_news-environment/

'Incredible natural spectacle' as record numbers of sockeye salmon return to Northwest

Fish cross dam at rate of nearly 30 a minute as more return in a single day than some previous years

Sorry, but I never buy salmon at Macro's, looks hefty colored to me.

Nothing looks fresh anyway at Udon Thani's Macro, only buy dry stuff there, vegs looks dated at best.

I'll try the Makro's here in Lopburi. The salmon we get at either Big C or Tesco Lotus varies from being delicious to tasteless on any given day.

i used to be a game fisherman and i can tell you trout & salmon once they have been frozen for more than 2months they will deteriate.oh fresh salmon and scrambled eggs.

If there is any imported that way, it'll be a Siam Paragon, most likely Norwegian.

I've got a kind-of brother-in-law in the business I can ask he'd know.

I Skyped my Norwegian salmon biz guy, turns out he's here in the LoS with his wife, one of my ex's of course, almost finished qualifying as a nurse's aide over there and they bought a house together, both chipping in 30% of their wages - qualifies for the success story thread?

She was laughing how they're totally sick of eating salmon all the time over there, but when they're traveling he's eating it all the time, jokes it's QC but on his own nickel at highly inflated prices AFATC.

Not relevant but WOW did she get fat over there!

So finally, the point - he swears there wouldn't be any truly fresh salmon sold in Thailand, and certainly not Norwegian, which does hold the bulk of market share here. He thought maybe some high-end sushi places may fly in mixed batches of fish from markets that might include salmon in season, but said definitely not in mass-market outlets like supermarkets.

He says some countries import salmon as "fresh" when it's actually been frozen but at a lower temperature than the usual rock-hard, but AFAHC that only makes a difference with texture and appearance not taste.

But that you should buy from a place with decent turnover, shouldn't be anywhere close to it's sell-by, not saying dangerous but for taste.

if its sold as fresh it will have been imported probably is farmed and frozen, one supermarket that we buy bulk from sell fresh meat but yesterday the wife went early and found the top was ok but underneath was frozen,so we have to be on our guard buying so called fresh fish.

Fresh salmon is good - but have you ever eaten fresh Arctic Char ?? They are salmon that return to the ocean after spawning in fresh water.

Lived on the Arctic coast for four years, and my arms used to get tired reeling them in.

Fresh salmon is good - but have you ever eaten fresh Arctic Char ?? They are salmon that return to the ocean after spawning in fresh water.

Lived on the Arctic coast for four years, and my arms used to get tired reeling them in.

give me john west red salmon in a tin any day.

Do you really want salmon, in thailand, that hasn't been frozen? This applies to any fish. Even if you catch it yourself in Washington, board the next flight to bkk and arrive 20 hours later, would you want it "fresh" without being frozen at all? According to the TV shows, they don't even ship premium-grade tuna fresh to the Japanese markets. They are all frozen.

Shawn

Foodland on 55 and 5 both have about 5 kinds of different salmon from all over the world, i remember seeing at least 2 of them being offered as fresh. Granted its going to set yout back 1500b a kilo.

I thought they all died in the river?

I thought they all died in the river?

They do.

it is quite a sight. and by the time they have gotten upstream they are battered and have undergone serious colour changes. you would not want to eat one.

Artic Char are freshwater as far as i can discern, and closely related to both salmon and trout.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_char

Makro in Pattaya even sells the whole salmon if you want one.

I was told by Macro Samui that the salmon comes in on ice indeed I have seen whole salmon which does not appear to have been frozen. Most produce is flown worldwide within hours of being killed or picked.

I am sure that somewhere in Thailand there has to be a salmon farm run by a falang and his Thai wife !!!!

• Like 1