Sound Isolation Of Waterpump

poanoi

you can find plywood or some tin and fit with sound insulation material, styrofoam is OK...just make a box and put it over the pump installation...folks use a similar arrangement to sound insulate large noisy boiler feedwater pumps in power stations; max sound allowed is 80db at one meter measurement per most contracts and the simplest approach is usually the best...

Can also buy a large plastic storage box at Big C, cut suction and discharge slots as required, line with sound-deadening, and you're done. set down over pump, and access is as easy as lifting up.

• Like 1

Be careful you don't cut off all ventilation to your pump, if you do it will overheat and seriously shorten its life.

You do get what you pay for, our Grundfos was 13k Baht on offer, but you can't hear it running even if right next to it, the cheapie we use for the garden hose screams like a baby :(

Be careful you don't cut off all ventilation to your pump, if you do it will overheat and seriously shorten its life.

You do get what you pay for, our Grundfos was 13k Baht on offer, but you can't hear it running even if right next to it, the cheapie we use for the garden hose screams like a baby sad.png

Ditto, you get what you pay for

If the pump is used to fill a tank, where it will run for extended periods, I can see that ventilation would be required. But my home pump does not run more than 5-10 seconds before the captive air tank senses max pressure and shuts it down.

But my home pump does not run more than 5-10 seconds before the captive air tank senses max pressure and shuts it down.

Even when you are in the shower??

A lot does depend on the duty cycle, many pumps aren't intended to run 100% anyway. But as noted care is required if cutting off / reducing the ventilation.

Indeed the Styrofoam will make and excellent heat retaining cover on an air cooled pump (as most are). On the water cooled models, such as Grundfos it might be an option (not all are silent - ours was repaired during flooding period and extremely loud since).sad.png

It was official repair because of noise and suspected bearing trouble - returned after almost two months with same high noise level in spite of having been repaired and parts replaced (we understand - the country was flooding out and they were a prime contractor) - but frustrating - had own spare unit so was using that. So far we living with it as not at all sure another repair/cost would result in any improvement.

Sorry to be a bit late to this topic.

1 - Most sound from pumps is higher frequency, and as result is easier to attenuate. Higher frequencies don't "flank" as much either.

2 - Open cell materials 'absorb' better than closed cell, i.e., styrofoam

3 - Directionality is one key.

In the sketch (basically a tunnel) , d represents the largest dimension of the openings at each end, either height of width. Making the tunnel longer (from the corresponding side of the pump) at each end, essentially creates a silencer effect.

"Aiming" the openings in the most convenient direction direct the already attenuated sund away from the subject.

For the dense material, consider plywood or ?

For the absorbent material, open cell foam, dense fiberglass or mineral fiber. If is has a mesh retainer, all the better. Stick or tack the absorber into place om both sides and top.

post-34658-0-71755100-1341899977_thumb.g

Thanks for replies.

I finally found a sound isolation at homework above BigC in south pattaya, right at the beginning of contractor area

(at the end of the shop)

However, before i went there i improvised by using a regular box that my big printer came in,

i just turned it upside down and covered the pump with it,

and my gf said noise went down below 50%,

so i added some extra boxes from fans and surrounded the pump, so i presume noise went down even more,

i can barely hear the thing now

I have an idea that your "technicien" was fitting the pump tight with bolts on a concrete floor. To do that they have to use the rubbers used for airco-compressors. Secondly the problem is that I have never seen a pump fitted with flexible, armed, tubing which causes that vibrations are transmitted into the domestic water-tubing and especially when the tubing is copper. Normally the pump is never that noisy that you have this problem. When the sound of the pump is that noisy they sold you a cheap Chinese export-item.................

Edited by mistitikimikis