The Real Price For Baht Bus Ride

Ling Kae

I walk down to the school in Pattaya Tai and pay 10 baht to catch the baht bus to Jomtien beach and on the way home I also pay 10 baht to the school. The other day I paid 20 baht to go from Jomtien to central at soi 9 but the Thai girl I was with said it's only 10 same as the school.

So what is the real price these days? It's been a long time since they displayed the fare price in the back of the baht bus.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you get the cattle truck baht buss at the Pattaya Tai intersection and Second Road it is ten baht. If you flag one down going to to Jomtien, it is twenty baht, same price as going from Jomtien to Pattaya.

I think it is still 10 baht. I have taken a sontaew from Pattaya Tai and Second Road northbound, past Dolphin Circle to Naklua Soi 16, and it was only 10 baht. If they had asked for 20, I would have given it to them with the distance involved.

If you get the cattle truck baht buss at the Pattaya Tai intersection and Second Road it is ten baht. If you flag one down going to to Jomtien, it is twenty baht, same price as going from Jomtien to Pattaya.

But what is the difference? At Pattaya Tai a full baht bus cost 10 baht but if I flag a full one down a bit further towards Jomtien then I must pay 20? Why would that be? It is equaly as full and even a shorter trip to Jomtien.

I just want to get the rules right.

But what is the difference? At Pattaya Tai a full baht bus cost 10 baht but if I flag a full one down a bit further towards Jomtien then I must pay 20? Why would that be? It is equaly as full and even a shorter trip to Jomtien.

I pay 10 baht from Hanuman to Central and laugh if they try the 20 baht fare (bout 25% of them do though). 10 Baht fare even if stopping a baht bus in town (which is what I do almost every day, rather than use the cattle trucks) from past the school, going back to Jomtien.

A local "legend" was that a Bath bus ride goes from 10 baht up to 20 baht once it passes Pattaya South. So when I take a PUBLIC baht bus from Jomtien and then I get off at Central on 2nd RD, I pay 20 baht. Makes sense to me.

I can speak to this with absolute authority.

That ride is TEN BAHT. No doubt about it. If they push for 20 baht, walk away, they won't do anything. Bring exact change to avoid conflict.

The controversy does start AFTER Pattaya Klang. If you go as far as Big C, it's more of a grey area. Cheap Charlies, please don't lynch me, but in that case I would just pay 20 baht.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

That ride is TEN BAHT. No doubt about it. If they push for 20 baht, walk away, they won't do anything. Bring exact change to avoid conflict.

The controversy does start AFTER Pattaya Klang. If you go as far as Big C, it's more of a grey area. Cheap Charlies, please don't lynch me, but in that case I would just pay 20 baht.

Thank you for your clear answer. One day I caught one from the school to the turn right bend towards Jomtien, I was going to Immigration and I didn't have a 10 baht coin. The lady driver refused to give me change of 20. From now on I make sure I have correct money and usually hand it to my Thai partner and she pays it, no arguments that way.

Baht drivers will usually try to get as much as they can. The other day I saw them ask 100 baht to go on the standard route for three people, Central to Big C. I used to tell tourists like that, just pay 10 baht each to another bus, but I have sadly learned two things, first tourists bizarrely usually don't appreciate it, and secondly I risk getting violently assaulted by a driver. Carrying exact change is a basic and necessary measure to ensure actually pay correct fares.

Edited by Jingthing

One day I caught one from the school to the turn right bend towards Jomtien, I was going to Immigration and I didn't have a 10 baht coin. The lady driver refused to give me change of 20.

Note the vehicle number and report them.

The fare is 10B. It doesn't matter whether you queue at the school (why?) or flag it down, it's 10B.

Only well beyond Central Rd, or way down towards Na-Jomtien, does the question of 20B arise.

One day I caught one from the school to the turn right bend towards Jomtien, I was going to Immigration and I didn't have a 10 baht coin. The lady driver refused to give me change of 20.

The fare is 10B. It doesn't matter whether you queue at the school (why?) or flag it down, it's 10B.

Only well beyond Central Rd, or way down towards Na-Jomtien, does the question of 20B arise.

I'm surprised you don't walk everywhere, over the course of a year you might save as much as couple hundred baht, worth thinking about?

The "question arises" only if you stand there and wait for it to. The fare everywhere in Pattaya, including Pattaya - Jomtien, is 10 baht.

- Have exact change ready, hand it to him and walk away. There is no need to say anything, or even make eye contact with these scumbags.

- In congested traffic areas, go a few steps beyond your destination and walk back. That way, he can't back-up to talk to you.

• Like 1

That ride is TEN BAHT. No doubt about it. If they push for 20 baht, walk away, they won't do anything.

Thank you for your clear answer.

Jingthing is the expert on baht busses.

I'm surprised you don't walk everywhere, over the course of a year you might save as much as couple hundred baht ......

More like a couple of thousand. Or even several thousand.

This saved money has gone towards my recent purchase of a brand new pickup. And, before you ask, yes I did devote some effort (but no expense) to getting a discount of 20KB and free extras to the tune of perhaps another 20KB. I've never seen the point of paying more than is necessary for anything. Perhaps you can enlighten me?

All that aside, I do indeed walk a great deal, mostly because it is good exercise and, as I'm retired, I have plenty of spare time to do it.

• Like 1

I'm surprised you don't walk everywhere, over the course of a year you might save as much as couple hundred baht ......

More like a couple of thousand. Or even several thousand.

This saved money has gone towards my recent purchase of a brand new pickup. And, before you ask, yes I did devote some effort (but no expense) to getting a discount of 20KB and free extras to the tune of perhaps another 20KB. I've never seen the point of paying more than is necessary for anything. Perhaps you can enlighten me?

All that aside, I do indeed walk a great deal, mostly because it is good exercise and, as I'm retired, I have plenty of spare time to do it.

You're BUYING a pick up? you should really have the DR check you out to make sure you're feeling ok.

A local "legend" was that a Bath bus ride goes from 10 baht up to 20 baht once it passes Pattaya South. So when I take a PUBLIC baht bus from Jomtien and then I get off at Central on 2nd RD, I pay 20 baht. Makes sense to me.

The correct fare is 10 baht. If you want to pay double, the drivers will never object.

I think it is still 10 baht. I have taken a sontaew from Pattaya Tai and Second Road northbound, past Dolphin Circle to Naklua Soi 16, and it was only 10 baht. If they had asked for 20, I would have given it to them with the distance involved.

I too often walk up to Thai & 2nd myself and get the Baht bus to Dolphin roundabout and only pay 10 Baht. Often if you go round back onto Beach Road it is now 20 Baht. I think you are getting a good deal at 10 Baht for your ride and good on you :)

I give them ten baht per segment of road.

10 baht from Jomtien to Pattaya Tai.

10 baht from Pattaya Tai to Dolphin.

10 baht from Dolphin to Walking Street.

Edited by pauljones

I only pay 10 Baht from Jomtien to as far as Central but to North Pattaya & as mentioned to Naklua the drivers want more.

They are not all bad ; recently three of us wanted to go to the end of Jomtien beach road where the usual busses do not go, when we got past Chaiyapruk the driver stopped and asked where we were going , when we told him he drove all the way& we were ready to pay more but this driver didn't ask for anything & wouldn't even accept a tip.smile.png

I can speak to this with absolute authority. That ride is TEN BAHT. No doubt about it. If they push for 20 baht, walk away, they won't do anything. Bring exact change to avoid conflict.

Agreed. When I lived in Jomtien; If I went from Jomtien to Central and points south of Central, I gave 10baht (per person) exact change and walked away. Never had a problem. If I went from Jomtien all the way into North Pattaya (say BigC), I paid 20baht. IMO, fair is fair. These drivers are working stiffs trying to support themselves and their families. They are not Shinawatra Pu Yai and 20baht never destroyed my budget.

Unless you specifically want to negotiate a special trip, never go up to the driver and ask "how much?". Just get on one going in your direction. If it turns away from where you want to go, ring the bell, pay your 10baht and get on another one. That's the system. Keep a good stock of 10baht coins.

• Like 1

The Baht bus driver's flow of cash has dwindled during the slow season with the lack of Russian tourists flagging them down willing to pay their asking price. By the way, these drivers "rent" the songtaews (sp) for about 400 baht an 10? hour shift.

To me too. IFAIK there are 3 major zones: Jomtien, Naklua and Pattaya.

Moving around in one zone is 10 baht and if you cross over to another zone it is 20 baht.

Example: From Jomtien Soi 12 to Naklua Road Soi 33 would cost THB 30.

To me too. IFAIK there are 3 major zones: Jomtien, Naklua and Pattaya.

Moving around in one zone is 10 baht and if you cross over to another zone it is 20 baht.

Example: From Jomtien Soi 12 to Naklua Road Soi 33 would cost THB 30.

Not at all. Jomtien to Naklua market is 20B max (it should only be 10B). Naklua to Pattya is 10B, as is Jomtien to Pattaya.

• Like 1

I'm surprised you don't walk everywhere, over the course of a year you might save as much as couple hundred baht, worth thinking about?

Guess it's guys like you who have 'spoilt' the busdrivers with overpaying, because you think 20 baht is nothing in your home country. Why would anyone pay 20 if the fare is 10?

Edited by Semper

The baht buses from the intersection are packed full and it IS uncomfortable. When I flag one down, if it is full, I wait for another. I'd rather pay the extra ten baht than be packed in like a sardine in a can.

You could probably get away with paying the ten baht for a flagged down baht bus but some drivers will object. Within Pattaya or Jomtien, I pay ten baht.

These baht bus drivers have very good memories. I lived in Jomtien for a few years and refused to pay the 20 baht from Jomtien to Pattaya.

I think the drivers passed out pictures of me ( biggrin.png ) because they got to the point that they wouldn't stop when I tried to flag them down.

I got the message and now pay the 20 baht except from the school in Pattaya. Up to you if you like walking.

These baht bus drivers have very good memories. I lived in Jomtien for a few years and refused to pay the 20 baht from Jomtien to Pattaya.

I think the drivers passed out pictures of me ( biggrin.png ) because they got to the point that they wouldn't stop when I tried to flag them down.

I got the message and now pay the 20

baht except from the school in Pattaya. Up to you if you like walking.

That probably just means they are working as a taxi or are off duty.

I think the drivers passed out pictures of me ( biggrin.png )

because they got to the point that they wouldn't stop when I tried to flag them down.

I have a friend who had the same situation. No taxi stopped when he was alone in front of VT2 smile.png

He is living in VT2 and wanted to still pay 10 baht to go to the booling near Big C.

He now pays 20 baht and taxi accept again to stop for him wink.png

Look like many taxis consider today that the 10 baht limit from Jomtien is Royal Garden.

Not so long ago it was ok for Central Beach Festival...